On a scale of 1 to 5  

96 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• 5 - Outstanding
    • 4 - Above Average
    • 3 - Average
    • 2 - Below Average
    • 1 - Poor

Really nice review Brickster! I love the look of this set with technic pins holding the raft together so studs are on each end. Ditto to the figures and parrot. The Kraken is good but not really something I would buy the set for.

Hollisbrick, i think you are confusing reviews, as there is no cannon in this set :pir-tongue:

Def a must buy for me.

Cheers :pir-classic:

Pirates Kraken Attackin'

Set #: 6240

Theme: Pirates 2008

Year Released: 2008

Piece Count: 78

Minifigs: 2

List Price: $10 (USD)

From the depths of a dark bottomless sea, the creature's thick tentacles lunge toward the makeshift raft. The two-man crew grab their swords and gun before shooting one round at the mighty beast. Its murky white eyes blink momentarily before one of its tentacles wrap around the small treasure crate. Two of the large gems that the pirates managed to rescue from the sinking ship flies into the rough ocean! Will the crew escape the revenge of the kracken or will they be the next to sink to Davey Jones' Locker?

I was so excited today when I visited my local Toys R Us store discovering a few of the new Pirate sets on the store shelf. I couldn't wait to bring the sets home and do a few new Pirate reviews, starting with this small set, 6240 Kracken Attackin'.

The new boxart looks nice with a blue daytime ocean and island and clouds in the background. These new sets offer no sunsets like those from the bygone Pirate theme.

Here's a few pictures of the box:

01box1.jpg Front

02box2.jpg Back

The artwork on the back of the box is nicely done and features a picture of the large pirate set, 6243.

Here's a close-up of the boxart on the back of the box:

03art.jpg

The same image on the front of the box appears on the instructions:

04instruct.jpg

Included within the instructions is a small one-page comic. I actually like these and think that they are great for smaller kids:

05comic.jpg

The new pirates are awesome with detailed front and back torsos, as shared in Lego12's previous reviews. This set includes two pirates. I esp. like the face of the pirate on the right:

06figs1.jpg

Here's a shot of the back of their torsos. Great detail!

07figs2.jpg

The set includes two cutlasses, a rifle, telescope, 2 gems, and an extra hook-piece used to hold the paddle:

08access.jpg

For those of you who remember the Divers theme, you'll recognize the Kracken as an octopus, but in new maroon color:

09krack.jpg

I really like the clever design and colors of the raft:

10raft.jpg

On one corner of the raft is a little stand for the new parrot. I love the new two-tone color giving it a real tropical look:

11parott.jpg

The raft is actually made by combining two base sections with technic pieces on each side:

12raft2.jpg

Tan pieces in the middle provide the stud-on-top platform for the figs to stand on, and to connect the mast:

13raft3.jpg

Here's a shot of the complete raft as the Kracken attacks:

14set1.jpg

And lastly, the complete set:

15set2.jpg

Final Thoughts

Kracken Attackin' is a great starter set for the new Pirate theme. It's the first set that I opened, and I'm very satisfied with the contents and design of the set. I love the new pirates with their nicely detailed torsos and it's great to see the return of the tricorner hat. The design of the raft is very nice, and the mast makes a nice addition. I don't mind seeing this as opposed to some makeshift sails. The Kracken in a new color works perfectly, and I'm glad Lego did not attempt to make a brick-built creature like the Viking sets; although I must admit that I probably would have preferred a new shark. I give this set a mid-level five based on its playability, two figs + accessories, octopus, and nicely designed raft. Hope you enjoy this review!

PS. I may even watch Pirates of the Caribbean tonight!

Argh! You beat me to making a review! :pir-look:

But it is a good set. :pir-classic:

I really like the design of the raft, and makes a good 'battlepack' (considering the accessories and figs you get with it - if you can count the kraken and parrot :pir-wub: )

These sets are making me feel all warm inside. :pir-wub:

the octopus did look much better in trans red but i am disappointed because the pirat originally was going to have a peg leg but they changed that still a very good set! :pir-blush::pir_laugh2:

Thanks for the awesome review, Brickster. :thumbup:

This is another great set from the new Pirates line. The raft is very nice - I love how they used the snot construction - and the two figures and the acessories are great as always. The only two things that lead me to vote a 4 instead of a 5 are the slight overprice and the unoriginal "kracken." I would have much rather them give us either a brickbuilt kraken or a new animal mold, as the one included is just a red octopus. :pir-tongue:

Man, 2009 is going to be expensive, especially considering that I want the big ship, among other items. :pir-wink:

What are you comparing this set to? How many figs would you expect in a set that's less than $10? So you rated it as average based on a $2 price difference?

I agree 100% with the other guy, I thought it should be an $8 set too. A 25% markup is quite a bit.

I agree 100% with the other guy, I thought it should be an $8 set too. A 25% markup is quite a bit.

This is true, I would compare this set to 7009 The Final Joust and that set is $8.

As far as the set goes its very attractive and has some great things about it, like the figures.

Also I love the new parrot, it'll go with the others because one-tone and multi-tone parrots do exist. :pir-tongue:

Edited by Johnny 5

Hollisbrick, i think you are confusing reviews, as there is no cannon in this set :pir-tongue:

Def a must buy for me.

Cheers :pir-classic:

I new that :pir-tongue: Cant I say how much I like the cannons with out you teasing me? :pir_bawling::pir-tongue::pir_laugh2:

:jollyroger: "TheBrickster, do you fear death?" :jollyroger:

A good review, but I think the "Kraken" is to small. Davy Jones, the man with the beatst, the KRAKEN!!! .......and that creature was feared by tousend of people at the sea, and "Kraken" is a little octopus???? :pir-hmpf_bad: ARRRGHGH!! :pir_laugh2:

What are you comparing this set to? How many figs would you expect in a set that's less than $10? So you rated it as average based on a $2 price difference?

I will explain my reasoning. For a $10 set I expect at least three real minifigs, especially when there are only 78 pieces and none of which are anything special. For an $8 set I expect at least two, again, heavily depending on what is included with the minifigs. Set 6239 has two minifigs and a cannon with a price tag of $6, so that surely looks to be the better deal unless I was in the market for a maroon octopus.

Just because it is a new pirate set doesn't mean I'm going to rave about it. I just feel it offers nothing noteworthy for its price tag and there are better sets that can be purchased for the money. Not like I rated it "poor."

I like the dark red octopus. The deep rich colour makes it a little freakier than it's older counterparts (not as freaky as the Agents version though.)

The parrots are probably not quite as nice as the printed versions, but I do like the red/ green combination.

I love the little raft - the construction is clever but simple, as in the best sets - but the technic axle mast is a bit ordinary.

Lots of 2x2 red brown round bricks though, great for building trees etc!

Thanks for the review, The Brickster!

great review.

but IMHO, the giant octopus should be made of bricks and plates not in one piece thing.

i like all new pirates double sided printed torsos, really cool.

The new figs are great. :pir-classic: I'm probably going to pick up at least two of these sets simply for figs and the round bricks in brown. I've got a MOC idea floating around in my head that needs them. To me, it's a quality set and worth the price, even if I don't care much for the Kraken (at first glance, anyway).

Thank you for the nice review. Although the faces are a bit common, this looks like a nice set. The dark red octopus is nice and I'm happy it is not a shark, although it is maybe not nice for people who just want a shark in a cheap set. A new Dolphin would also be nice.

What I feel the new pirate minifigs lack are proper, rugged, menacing faces. The new face in this set is a step in the right direction, but most of the other minifigs just use faces from the Castle theme, and they aren't quite eye-patchy enough. But at least the pirate woman that comes in the Shipwreck Island set has an eyepatch and a crooked smile! I'm so waiting to get my hands on that minifig.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there aren't any new faces in this set, one is a criminal face from CITY and the other is in many CITY and Castle sets. :pir-sceptic:

Great set though, and the second I see any of the new pirate sets in England I'm buying 'em all!

you're right, the left face ( the one we don't see it teeths ) is also used in the 7774 (aquaraider )

Edited by Guss

Thanks for the review. I love the look of the new Pirate set, but the red underside seems a little unplaced in this set.

Fabulous review! :pir-sweet:

Thanks for the review brickster! :pir_laugh2:

I just wish that TLC stoped re-using faces :pir-hmpf_bad: ...they need to design some new ones!

Got given this set for christmas (My girlfriend went to alot of trouble to get me a set imported as she knew i was desperate to get my hands on one!).

I really like it! though it has a low piece count and doesnt take long to build, its very detailed for the size of the set.

I like the figures faces, great stubble effect, and this is the first set i've built (Not being a buyer of current sets) which the figs have decorated backs also, which is good!

The octopus as noted before really isnt that impressive, its a nice change from the usual shark attack but the advantage of sharks is the poseable jaw, which can make them look menacing - whereas the octopus just feels a little too ridgid for my liking. Nice variation though.

Lastly, the parrot is great. Not sure if i prefer it to the old ones, but due to having many of the old variety, its nice to have a change!

So a high score from me for this set :)

Edited by Duck

I don't like the new sets looks to my eye like cheap plastic toys :pir_bawling:

sorry to bump this up, but I gotta weigh in on the parrot issue.

I definitely prefer the classic painted parrot to the two-tone one in the new sets, but my two-tone parrot has a pretty sweet swirl on the back that makes a heart shape, so that's kinda neat.

that said, I think we should get a few parrots done in the classic style, but blue or green this time!