Sign in to follow this  
Paul cantu

The Raid on the Governor's Mansion - Final

thindexedgif.gif Vig. 35a

The ever so dreaded Captain Snibly had a growing dislike for the the Spanish governor, Senor Raul Pablo. It all started when the governor bought the last high quality wig(the wig Captain Snibly had been robbing every ship, so that he could save enough money to buy it) So Captain Snibly formed the most ruthless crew of pirates in all the Spanish Main. There mission: attack the governor's mansion and retrieve the wig at all costs. Of course he also told them to take any other valuables the governor might have. And now the battle is ON!!

finalgm5.jpg

finalgm1.jpg

finalgm3.jpg

finalgm4.jpg

finalgm6.jpg

finalgm2.jpg

Edited by SlyOwl

That's a stunning mansion Paul Cantu! :thumbup: The design of it looks great and really looks like an olden day villa.

As for the placement of the battle, are you planning to add another baseplate on which the battle will take place? If you don't it may become a bit cramped.

I think the battle would look best in the front of the building, so it looks like the pirates are fighting their way to the front doors.

Some things you could do to make it look even better:

1) If you have enough, it would look great to put black tiles on the roof for a smoother look.

2) On the back railing, you have grey tile on the railing. I think it would look better if they were black or white, to match the rest of the building.

=========================================================

So far, you entry looks beautiful and I greatly look forward to seeing the final version with the battle. :pir-classic:

Very very nice job Paul!

I personally would use picture 3 but take it again from a (bit) lower angle.

That is a sweet house. I'll comment further when you add the fighting, but at the moment I'll just say, add more palm trees. In the Bahamas or wherever, the palm trees would be the dominant plant life. And also add some cgi backgrounds and it would look really cool. :thumbup:

I will set up the battle soon.

Huh! There's more?

It's phenomenal as it is Mr Cantu, you cetaintly are a talented builder.

My opinion:

Looks very good, Paul Cantu, if this is used as a background, I am really looking forward to the battle!

Possible improvements:

1) Do you have a chimney? In those days that was a real neccesity!

2) As erdbeereis1 suggested, you could add some more tiles.

Not much more to add...(yet). Keep up the good work!

I loveeee this mansion, it's a really cool mansion ! this is a nice entry for this contest ! there is everything we need^^ violence, cruelty , blood !

the two things that I think can be improved are,

1/ maybe make the floor around the house looks less "flat", add some rocks or things^^

2/take better pictures, but If you don't have the choice because you have a bad camera, that's fine^^

Oh, what luck! I've been studying some archetectural models for something, so prepare to learn how your mansion can be more realistic.

WARNING: MAY CONTAIN GRAPHIC ARCHETECTURAL DETAILS NOT SUITABLE FOR MINORS!

1. Remove all the gray, or make it all gray. That way is could either be all stone or all painted wood, but not together. It just doesn't mesh well.

2. On the gables (the triangular bit the holds the roof) make it white. Or gray. Whatever type of style you prefer.

#. The portico (the 4 columns and the pediment [pointy roof-thing] that they hold) make it higher, or if you don't have enough bricks, make a sort of porch thing for them so they're higher.

A-like so:

nospapermodel.jpg

Disneyland's Antebellum Haunted Mansion

100_4531.jpg

The Baroque-Palladian Holburne House in Bath

Perhaps not all that relevant as they are different styles (the mansion is Georgian, right?) I think the suggestions would improve the look alot!

Also, as Boney suggested, a chimney or two. Probably at the ends, like a-so:

georgian_house.jpg

Do a google search for 'georgian house' and for the whole first page, there will not be a single house that breaks the Georgian chimney rule.

Edited by Norrington

Thanks for the pictures and all the helpful suggestions Norrington. I see what you mean by pick one color but I am pretty low on pieces and wanted a little contrast to all the white. This Mansion was pretty much something I built on the spur of the moment. If you want more pictures of the mansion itself check out: http://mocpages.com/moc.php/80054

Ok, Paul Cantu, you have REALLY showed us your magnificent MOC qualities and this is just another example of it.

Some possible improvements:

1) I can look inside the mansion, a VERY good thing. BUT: Why does there grow grass inside? Personnaly I would prefer a wooden floor. Stone is an option, but grass? :pir-laugh:

2) Adding a chimney would make it look more realistic.

3) Where's the governor? Maybe he is somewhere but I can't see him and I think this is part of the story so I suggest adding him as well (or make him better visible).

4) A bit more tiling on the building itself might look better as well, especcialy because this is such a large MOC.

5) I would remove the third picture since it looks a bit messy from above, I suggest that you take one from another angle.

PS: I would use the fourth picture as the one to be judged. It appeals me the most and one can look inside as well, what offers you some amazing possibilities like showing the governor protecting his family or trying to flee with his gold and belongings.

Edited by zorro3999

just like Guss said: make the floor around the house looks less "flat"!! that will be awesome..

love the barricade.. in the front door

i think that a house so massive.. will have some other structures like a stable, worker´s house.. i don´t know.. some minor building could give the mansion a more distintive play by contrast

fantastic job!!

Ok, Paul Cantu, you have REALLY showed us your magnificent MOC qualities and this is just another example of it.

Some possible improvements:

1) I can look inside the mansion, a VERY good thing. BUT: Why does there grow grass inside? Personnaly I would prefer a wooden floor. Stone is an option, but grass? :pir-laugh:

2) Adding a chimney would make it look more realistic.

3) Where's the governor? Maybe he is somewhere but I can't see him and I think this is part of the story so I suggest adding him as well (or make him better visible).

4) A bit more tiling on the building itself might look better as well, especcialy because this is such a large MOC.

5) I would remove the third picture since it looks a bit messy from above, I suggest that you take one from another angle.

Yeah the grass inside the house really bothered me when I looked at the pictures. I originally was going to put a governor but I couldn't figure out a way to make him, but now I think I have an idea.I want to put a chimney but I don't know where to put it. What do you mean by tiling?

I would put some tiles (flat bricks without dots) on certain bricks to make them look more smoothly. I would put tiles on the entrance (the small black lines) and perhaps even the roof, but only few people would have enough tiles to tile the entire roof...

And yes, its always hard to find a place where you can construct a chimney, especcialy with this realistical method of roofing.

Overall this is a wonderful MOC though, and I really think you have a lot of talent :thumbup: .

I would put tiles on the entrance (the small black lines) and perhaps even the roof, but only few people would have enough tiles to tile the entire roof...

I am totally out of flat black tiles but if I had more I would definately make the roof flat. Most of this houses detail was made because I was trying to stretch the few pieces I had. That is why you should always try and be as creative as possible with the pieces you have instead of buying pieces off bricklink when you might not need them.

Yes, you are completely right! And the 'creative critics' (including me) often say the contestors to tile this or that, but I know that in many cases they just ran out of tiles. That is no problem at all, it is just advise. We try to offer as much as possible, because we are also involved in a contest!

Now about the improvements you made: I really like them! You gave your mansion a nice interior and a chimney! And I can see lots of other improvements as well.

My remaining advise:

- I would use the fourth picture as your main picture, since I think that one not only looks the best, but also shows the most!

- Adding a story, even a short one, always gives you a small advance!

That's it for now, you have done an outstanding job :thumbup: .

zorro, do you know how I could change the WIP topic title to Final?

Yes, you have to ask a staff member, since we can't edit such things. If you wait a minute I will ask it for you.

Edited by zorro3999

How can I change it from WIP to Final? I still need feedback on which picture I should use as the main picture.

Mister Phes comes along and does it for you! And it's done!

Mister Phes comes along and does it for you! And it's done!

Thanks, it has really been bothering me. I felt dumb not knowing how to change it but now I know just to ask you.

Now that I see the finished product, I must say that it's stunning!

Definitely don't worry about not tiling the roof. It would have taken a massive amount anyway, and us critics need to find something to "fix" with a great entry like yours. :pir_laugh2:

Wonderful work! :pir-classic:

why do tile anything ? this roof is nice like it^^

the only thing that I don't like in the final version.. is the flash of your camera :pir_laugh2: but I guess you didn't have the choice, so that's a really cool entry , great job and good luck man ! :thumbup:

the only thing that I don't like in the final version.. is the flash of your camera :pir_laugh2: but I guess you didn't have the choice, so that's a really cool entry , great job and good luck man ! :thumbup:

The camera I use isn't that great and I don't have photoshop so I pretty much do the best with what is avalable.

Great job! There are somethings you can improve to make it look more realistic! I think you can add smoke coming out of the chimney! On to the next one, I agree with the strawberry teacher that you should add black tiles to the roof. The black studs sticking out is very distracting.By the way, an you show us more pictures like the rear view, top view and others. After all, to see the full detail and potenetial we need to see more pictures.Speaking of pictures, can you resize the pictures please? The black line at the top is very distracting and draws attention away from your Moc.A great Moc with a nicely organused chaos! Great job :pir-skull:

Edited by pr0visorak

Wauw! What a MOC!

There's much of killing and pillaging going on here. Great!

The cannonfire is really good.

And the mansion itself is brilliant. Beautiful building. And teh vegetation on the wall is a good detail too.

Possible improvements

I think it would be great if you could make some bloodstained walls.. oh wel.. just a little blood somewhere on the white wall

I'd leave pic. no. 3 out. It's not a good angle. Maybe you should leave the 5th picture as well. I'd like some more close ups instead. We've got a good overview of the scenario, but I'd like a some close ups.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Well.. that's all I think: it's a really great MOC!

Good luck with the contest.