Number of minifigs: 4

Price: 19.99 USD/ 17.99 GBP/ 25.99 EUR

Theme: Indiana Jones/ Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Year Released: 2008

Brickset

Folder

Bricklink Catalog

2992526011_65045a946c_o.jpg

Welcome everyone to my review on the Indiana Jones set River Chase, which is based off of the new movie Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. NOTE: Most of the stickers included in this set were not used. So, let's begin.

The box

2994084684_58570cb954_o.jpg

The box is similar to all of the other Indiana Jones sets. On the top is the famous Jones writing, with a whip and a picture of Indy himself. 'Kingdom of the Crystal Skull' is written on the bottom. The back is pretty generic; it shows the play features of the set. Now, on to the set itself.

Amphibious vehicle

2992510669_7ff69f4c99_o.jpg

This is definitely the main feature of this set. It is the vehicle from the movie that Indy and the gang ride the waterfalls with, and can be either a boat or a jeep. It has a pretty sleek design, and is very well-built.

Front view

2992510677_03bebcbb09_o.jpg

Here you can see the headlights, a mounted gun with firing clip, and the utility cable holder. The front is a little big, but the numerous items that it carries hide this. The windshield design, unfortunately, is a sticker.

Back view

2992510689_ae56cec10a_o.jpg

The back also holds a lot, including a spare tire and an oil canister. You can also see the rear lights and propeller for boat mode. Also note the sub-machine gun and shovel near the middle, held on by clips. You could also use the back to hold some troops.

Middle

2992510721_c2dcb2e28b_o.jpg

The middle can hold about 4-5 minifigures, maybe more if you cramp them together. The front seats can hold two figs, but they would not stay in properly due to the width being only 4 inches (the rest of the space of the 6-stud wide jeep is taken up by the doors) and the figs' arms getting in each others way. Note that the dashboard is a printed 1x4 tile.

Side view

3009251430_8d181ffde8_o.jpg

Here you can get a better look at the oil can. the little design is in fact a sticker, and a revolver is used for the handle, which is a little weird. I'm sure that TLG could have used a better piece for that. However, the can is mounted on a brown "jumper" piece, which is very useful to me. Lego's reason for doing this, I'll never know, since they could have used a regular 1x2 plate.

Motorboat

2992510737_79d940201c_o.jpg

Next up is the motorboat, the main reason why this set is so cheap. The main boat is just one big <insert that tiresome argument> piece, and the overall vehicle is very small, but is actually a big part of the set. This also has a mounted machine gun, but this time with a light attached.

Rear

2992519649_ea44b73843_o.jpg

Here are a lot of neat things, including a pair of oars, another oil canister, a steering mechanism (which doesn't actually steer the boat if you were to zoom it around), and the engine and propeller.

Rear- alternate

3009251544_c6e18bdc3b_o.jpg

Here is the other side of the engine, which shows you the rudder. Just a small detail, but it's the details in this set that make it so good.

Tree outpost

2993366368_ed883756d0_o.jpg

Here is the final part of the set, a tree serving as a scout outpost. The sentry posted up here is equipped with a pair of binoculars, a coffee mug, a backpack, and yet another mounted machine gun. Note the snakes, one hiding in the tree and one on the ground, as well as the dark green alligator, another recruit to add to your gator army.

Close-up

2992520533_7426370795_o.jpg

Camouflage

2992520859_0260e49dbc_o.jpg

Note this part of the tree. It can either stay up like this for camouflage...

Ladder

2992521199_00b8e6662e_o.jpg

...or come down like this for a ladder so the guard can get up and down from his post.

Back view

2993367538_8f6b13d63a_o.jpg

Here's the back of the tree. Behind a <insert that tiresome argument> rock pieces hides a supply container, sadly with nothing in it. Also note the little knob you see sticking out.

Net mechanism

2992522137_c074a3b191_o.jpg

That little knob in back pushes out the head behind the net, and pushes it off of the brown bars, creating a clever and effective trap. It works really well, and will have you playing with this set for a while.

Minfigs

2993368440_1999ab5181_o.jpg

Here are all four figs included in this set. We get two Russians (Bruce Wayne and Draco Malfoy in disguise! Really, I'm getting sick of that Wayne head), Marion Ravenwood (This time around with a different outfit, plus a reversible head with one side scared and the other neutral), and of course, the run-of-the-mill Indy (this time without a revolver).

Animals

2992522685_bb6456826a_o.jpg

Here are the three animals that come with the set: two red snakes and a dark green alligator, and also the oil canister, for another look.

Well, that's about it for the review, here is the...

Final Verdict:

Build: 10/10, a very fun and easy build, should take the average builder about 30 minutes.

Playability: 9.5/10, lots of play features in this one, but I feel as though something is needed on one of the vehicles to complete the set. Perhaps a tow cable on the amphibian vehicle?

Swooshability: 9/10, the vehicles roll around just fine, although a couple of smooth, rounded plates on the bottom of the motorboat would be nice.

Minifigs:7.5/10, a good amount for a $20 set, but a Prof. Ox and/or Mutt and even a Spalko minifigure(s) would go to making this set better even further.

Design: 9.5/10, very clever building techniques in here. The amount of details in this set is amazing.

Price: 10/10, definitely. I compare this set to 'Race or the Stolen Treasure', and to me, the Amphibious vehicle is the equal of the cargo truck, the boat is the equal (almost) to the gunner truck, and this set comes with a tree outpost with tons of foliage and a great amount of accessories, and it's $10 cheaper! Truly amazing.

Overall score: 9.25/10, a really great set for such a low price. As I was building it, I found a lot of little things about this set that I didn't spot before, such as the sub-machine gun, supplies crate, and many other things that brought me joy. I just wish that there was a little something in the supplies crate. This is one of the best Lego sets compared to it's price, ever, in my opinion, and if you decide to get it, I guarantee that you won't be dissapointed.

That's all I have to say for this review, you may leave feedback and constructive criticism if you wish, and of course, your opinion of the set.:classic:

Edited by JimButcher

Very Nice Review :thumbup::sweet:

I keep forgeting to pick up this neat little set! Its the cheapest set with Russians

Hmm next time theres a sale I will have to get it... :classic:

Nice review! :classic: I like the use of the photo editing there, your reviews are ones that I look forward too and sometimes use for reference. :grin:

Here you can get a better look at the oil can. the little design is in fact a sticker, and a revolver is used for the handle, which is a little weird. I'm sure that TLG could have used a better piece for that. However, the can is mounted on a brown "jumper" piece, which is very useful to me. Lego's reason for doing this, I'll never know, since they could have used a regular 1x2 plate.

they use a jumper piece so you can take it off easily. it sucks that the 2 seats are touching so you can't put in 2 figs comfortably.

Edited by prateek

Great review! Today I was in the local LEGO shop and decided to buy this set. I am not a big fan of Indiana Jones, but this set has so many accessories, four figures, many guns, animals and two vehicles. :)