Captain Green Hair

Dutch VOC ship the Prins Willim, minifig scale!

Measuring a stunning 68 meters length overall she was the largest ship ever build by the VOC.

Euhm... 1 problem... the Batavia is a little longer making the Prins Willem not the longest :p

Wiki (sorry, in Dutch)

NO!

First the European Championship, now this. Why is it we live next to one another? :pir-tongue: Ah the pain, the pain of it all (and the horrible flashy orange) - make it stop, go away! :pir-grin:

Nice ship you have there, the curve is especially wel done.

Euhm... you know that the Dutch had the best navy in that time I hope. The only reason why the Dutch were not more powerfull is the land problem, not enough land not enough peopel living in it. That was the only setback of the Dutch Golden Age. If the Netherlands were as big as the UK or France, there would really be a different outcome for pretty much all battles. Since the Dutch are a powerfull tribe on the waters and master a lot of aspects even way better then any other nation you could say it is even possible to be unbeatable.

Oh the Dutch! They come up silly names like Tasmania, Van Diemen's Land, etc. Who would want to live in a place named by the Dutch... Really... :pir-grin:

New York -> Nieuw Amsterdam (renamed in 1665)

Noten Eylant -> Governors Island

Breede weg -> Broadway

Breuckelen -> Brooklyn

Konynen Eylant -> Coney Island

Vlissingen -> Flushing (Queen)

Krom Messie -> Gramercy

Haarlem -> Harlem

Hellegat -> Hell Gate

Heemstede -> Hempstead

Kinderhoek -> Kinderhook

New Utrecht -> New Utrecht Avenue

Oester Baai -> Oyster Bay

Staaten Eylant -> Staten Island

Wal straat - Wall street (amed after the Walloons and then later after the wall that was erected to protect the city against the threat of an English invasion in 1654 during the first Anglo-Dutch war)

Some nice links to visit:

Nieuw Nederland (America)

Even better.. and I just read it:

In addition, many New York citizens are directly descended from the Dutch citizens of New Netherland. For instance, the Roosevelt family, which produced two Presidents, are descended from Claes van Roosevelt, who emigrated from Haarlem in about 1650. The Van Buren family of President Martin Van Buren also originated in New Netherland.

This is just a quick thingy, there are a lot more cities that are still here today wearing a new name but were orriginally Dutch colonies and had a Dutch name.

The Dutch have left their mark for life ^_^

And for the final touch, god created the Dutch!

I'm sorry but you most have read that wrong:

:wink:

lol, oops. yeah you're right. sorry for that, might be because i'm tired and have a lot of problems on my mind at the moment :pir-skull:

HUzzah!!!! Dutch Pride on!!!

35837434_fdaf07a8e6.jpg

At long last it's here! Finally the Dutch will be represented by a big ship (and considering the builder it's gonna be one mighty fine ship!!)

The beginning looks very very good. That curve looks particularly professional!

I really can't wait to see that beauty on an event. :wub:

I will check this thread for updates everyday!

Hoera!

I'm also glad to see dutch pride, no one realizes that they once invaded england and did a good job of it too. It is such an excellent representation of it thus far, bally good show!

I truely love it! Even when it isn't finished yet :pir_laugh2:

I live in the Netherlands myself and I'm really fond of the VOC, the ship you choose to model is awesome too!

It's cool you visit even museums for inspiration :pir-sweet:

I can't wait when it is finished!

Really, a great job already!

At least something good comes out of the bad weather last week, you won't be able to ride your motorcycle, so you're forced to work on this beautifull ship :pir-laugh: .

New York -> Nieuw Amsterdam (renamed in 1665)

Noten Eylant -> Governors Island

Breede weg -> Broadway

Breuckelen -> Brooklyn

Konynen Eylant -> Coney Island

Vlissingen -> Flushing (Queen)

Krom Messie -> Gramercy

Haarlem -> Harlem

Hellegat -> Hell Gate

Heemstede -> Hempstead

Kinderhoek -> Kinderhook

New Utrecht -> New Utrecht Avenue

Oester Baai -> Oyster Bay

Staaten Eylant -> Staten Island

Wal straat - Wall street (amed after the Walloons and then later after the wall that was erected to protect the city against the threat of an English invasion in 1654 during the first Anglo-Dutch war)

Staten Landt -> Nova Zeelandia (after Zeeland, a Dutch province) -> New Zealand

Some of the many Dutch named of towns/cities and places in South-Africa: Bloemfontein, Johannesburg, Windhoek, Hoedspruit, Klerksdorp, Pietermaritzburg, Mossel Baai (Mossel Bay). (not 100% sure on some of these)

Zuid-Afrikaansche Republijk -> South African Republic (+the South-African language (Afrikaans), was based on Dutch)

And there's probably a fair amount more (I think there was also an Asian country that was named by the Dutch (Japan?) but I'm not sure)

Euhm... you know that the Dutch had the best navy in that time I hope. The only reason why the Dutch were not more powerfull is the land problem, not enough land not enough peopel living in it. That was the only setback of the Dutch Golden Age. If the Netherlands were as big as the UK or France, there would really be a different outcome for pretty much all battles. Since the Dutch are a powerfull tribe on the waters and master a lot of aspects even way better then any other nation you could say it is even possible to be unbeatable.

Ahh, what could have been... :pir-wub:

We did pretty well for such a small country.

Edited by Fluyt

At least something good comes out of the bad weather last week, you won't be able to ride your motorcycle, so you're forced to work on this beautifull ship :pir-laugh: .

\

I managed to do both, but now i need to clean my bike again... :pir-blush:

But i can tell you version 53 of the stern is almost as it should be... :pir-wink:

Ok progress has been slow, but let me get you up to speed:

1299988.jpg

As you can see the hull is done, it's still a bit shoddy because the skeleton inside isn't finished yet.

0000001.jpg

0699994.jpg

0799993.jpg

Me and Indy did a little size comparisation, you can imagine how uncomfortable i felt :pir-hmpf_bad:

0999991.jpg

A shot from the bow.

1499986.jpg

And one from the stern....

And now for today's final surprise:

1599985.jpg

The figurehead, wich i myself am exceptionally pleased with. :pir-blush:

Also a big thanks to Matija for sponsoring me the dark red tiles!

Well that's all folks, loads more can be found in the BS, when moderated ofcourse.

C&C are very wanted and welcome!

Well, CGH! I had no idea you were such a talented MOCer. I glanced over this thread earlier, but I didn't actually look at it properly. You could well be one of the LEGOLAND modelers. Just one thing though:

Is that figure head a bit small? When you compare it to the rest of the ship and then to other ships that have figure heads almost dominating the bow. I just find it a little small. But the ship is huge. How far do you think you'll get before Christmas?

nicceeeee ! I love the figurehead, it's really superb !

nicceeeee ! I love the figurehead, it's really superb !

Yes, you really have outdone yourself this time :thumbup:

Me and Indy did a little size comparisation, you can imagine how uncomfortable i felt

I thought you were in that kind of stuff? :pir_laugh2:

... and I finally got to see the final figurehead. The head is much better than the prototypes I came up with!

And it is nice to see the whole hull. The transitions, as you have discussed earlier, are obscured by the whole flow of the sides, so I think you made the right decision by going for strength.

Keep it up Cap.

Nice progress. Have you gt any idea when this will be finished? It's seems to me, that there's still a long way to go.

But so far it's very nice! You figurehead is indeed good. You can be proud of youself, there's absolutely reason to be pleased with you're work so far.

The ship looks mighty big and I love the shape of the hull.

But this little piece of art is a true masterpiece :pir-wub:

1599985.jpg

I first heared of this moc back in Billund.

You where talking lots about it, and I really didn´t understand how you wanted to build with those "jumperbricks".

How to get them together and make it hold together.

It can be ´cause you where drunk a few times telling me :pir-tongue:

But now seen how far you got (I´ve been looking in but not responded before) and how it is coming along is really great.

You wan´t critics?

The only one I got for you is already mentioned.

Why the yellowed bricks buddy?

CM once told me I´m in top of the foodchain on this matter.

I was just wondering, ´cause it doesn´t seems to be that many that it would be a money issue.

Really would like an answer to this.

Otherwise there is not much more to add then what you alredy got.

Will really continue to follow your work, and it is really looking great. Really beautiful :pir-wub:

-Ras-

I really love that figurehead! It looks just like the real one! And I can know it :tongue:

Great progress on this wonderful ship Cap'n :thumbup:

Very Impressive!

Looking forward for further progress. :pir-classic:

My God, that hull is gorgeous.

I've been meaning to ask you; how do you create the hull? Just special grid paper? I know some people use computer software to render the model.

Well, CGH! I had no idea you were such a talented MOCer. I glanced over this thread earlier, but I didn't actually look at it properly. You could well be one of the LEGOLAND modelers. Just one thing though:

Is that figure head a bit small? When you compare it to the rest of the ship and then to other ships that have figure heads almost dominating the bow. I just find it a little small. But the ship is huge. How far do you think you'll get before Christmas?

Thanks captain!

The figurehead is in an exact 1:39 scale just like everything else :pir-wink:

Yes, you really have outdone yourself this time :thumbup:

I thought you were in that kind of stuff? :pir_laugh2:

No...but Indy is i'm afraid....

... and I finally got to see the final figurehead. The head is much better than the prototypes I came up with!

And it is nice to see the whole hull. The transitions, as you have discussed earlier, are obscured by the whole flow of the sides, so I think you made the right decision by going for strength.

Keep it up Cap.

I think so too, thanks for thinking with me on it. :pir-wink:

Nice progress. Have you gt any idea when this will be finished? It's seems to me, that there's still a long way to go.

But so far it's very nice! You figurehead is indeed good. You can be proud of youself, there's absolutely reason to be pleased with you're work so far.

Thanks!

The plan is to show her at LW Zwolle, somewhere about a year from now.

But i'm not in a hurry, don't want to make this a rush job.

That's huge Cap'n. And that figurehead is just awesome. :pir-wub:

How many tiles do you reckon went into it?

Thanks buddy!

About 1.200 white ones to this point, also 2.000 jumperbricks and approx. 3.500 plates.

I roughly estimate 50.000 bricks will go in when finished.

I first heared of this moc back in Billund.

You where talking lots about it, and I really didn´t understand how you wanted to build with those "jumperbricks".

How to get them together and make it hold together.

It can be ´cause you where drunk a few times telling me :pir-tongue:

But now seen how far you got (I´ve been looking in but not responded before) and how it is coming along is really great.

You wan´t critics?

The only one I got for you is already mentioned.

Why the yellowed bricks buddy?

CM once told me I´m in top of the foodchain on this matter.

I was just wondering, ´cause it doesn´t seems to be that many that it would be a money issue.

Really would like an answer to this.

Otherwise there is not much more to add then what you alredy got.

Will really continue to follow your work, and it is really looking great. Really beautiful :pir-wub:

-Ras-

Thanks buddy!

I just use what i have, ships hulls are never clean, so i don't really bother.

The worst have been left out though, i found some in my box...man...

My God, that hull is gorgeous.

I've been meaning to ask you; how do you create the hull? Just special grid paper? I know some people use computer software to render the model.

Thanks!

I just measure the largest dimension, and a few points along the side. The rest goes by eye, just like the original Dutch ships were build. Software might be handy next time, i've rebuild the aft section about 50 times... :pir-hmpf_bad:

But the nice thing is that this really is a test for my patience, wich is improving, thankfully.

Thanks!

I just measure the largest dimension, and a few points along the side. The rest goes by eye, just like the original Dutch ships were build. Software might be handy next time, i've rebuild the aft section about 50 times... :pir-hmpf_bad:

But the nice thing is that this really is a test for my patience, wich is improving, thankfully.

Dear Captain green hair,

as I said to you before the hull is starting to look really good! and the two plate step is obscured by the other lines.

So thumbs up from me. :thumbup:

Yeah the aft section.. 50 times, that is a good score... :thumbup: . I redid mine again as well two weeks ago.

Havent posted an updated picture yet. Maybe I should :pir-classic:

Kind regards,

Teddy

Any updates yet, dear Captain GreenHair?

Yeah, no kidding!

I can't have a ship of this size being complete before mine. :pir-tongue:

I must be sure that mine is going to be done before yours. :pir-laugh: