the enigma that is badger

New 2009 Pirates Sets - NEW closeups of the wench & mermaid added

I'm very happy about the new pirates set (and the fish :pir_laugh2: )

the only thing I can think about is maybe the big island piece, I hope it is not too big and made of smaller bricks

I'm also happy there is a normal soldier in the impulseset and not an officer. In the good old pirates set the normal soldiers were mostly outnumbered by officiers :pir-laugh: (atleast in the set I have)

Pirates on! :pir-tongue::pir-wink::pir_yoda::pir-vader::kahuka::cannon::monkey:

(I hope nobody is offended by the fact I put many emoticons in one line)

Edited by Wout

Also, when LEGO first announced Dino Attack/Vikings, didn't they initially intend for the two lines to be market specific (Dino Attack for the US and Vikings for Europe). Who's to say that LEGO might not re-attempt something like this? I hope I'm wrong (I really want a couple of those ships without having to import) but given that we haven't had any official announcement on this line I don't want to be disappointed as I was with the Advant Calender.

Vikings was, ultimately, released in the US. And since we haven't seen any other lines that look like they would be US specific, I don't think Lego would be released different lines in different countries again.

Vikings was, ultimately, released in the US. And since we haven't seen any other lines that look like they would be US specific, I don't think Lego would be released different lines in different countries again.

Do you mean to say that the Vikings theme was only released in the US? If so, how did I buy sets from it in a number of different shops, in England? :pir_wacko:

:skull:

I believe the original pirate line was released in the U.S., and so will the new one. There is such a demand for a new pirate line that it would be dumb for the Lego group not to release new pirate sets unto us North Americans. I sure as hell will buy them, and if they were not released to us, I would order them.

Do you mean to say that the Vikings theme was only released in the US? If so, how did I buy sets from it in a number of different shops, in England? :pir_wacko:

Umm... no, I meant just what I said :pir_laugh2:

Umm... no, I meant just what I said :pir_laugh2:

Oh yeah, sorry, I see now. I was confused then, I'm not sure why I said that when it was obvious what you meant... :pir_wacko::pir-laugh:

I'm also scared that these might not make it to North America. The fact that power miners was not in the Spain catalog and pirates was not mentioned in the press release might just be a coincidence, though.

I caint wait till the Pirate Line returns to shelfs. My first set'll be the fort, well that is after I get 10 Star Wars Clone Battle Packs and an AAT. But I'll getthat fort yet. Plus they come out at different times.

Except for auqaraiders. Wich was only released in europe in very limited numbers (S@H, lego stores...)

edit: Avatar was also US only.

Edited by highlandcattle

Except for auqaraiders. Wich was only released in europe in very limited numbers (S@H, lego stores...)

Really? I thought Aqua raiders was a general release. Ah well. :pir-sceptic:

And Avatar was US only because I'm sure no one has heard of it outside of the US. :pir-hmpf_bad:

Aquaraiders was in the shops (Smyths Toys) here in Ireland.

The only reason I can think of for Lego not releasing Pirates in the US, is with the dollar even still being worth less, they may try to maintain a US presence but not commit as much to the market. Fortunately the dollar is appreciating a small bit again (now the Pound Sterling is going down against the Euro - nice for anyone here in Ireland buying from UK on ebay :)

iT WAS RELEASED IN aUS. TOO

These are some great looking sets. I'm bound to hunt for those Guard Impulses, and also the map battle set. A good number of those will give me quite a few guards and cannons. Coupled with the Imperial Fort set, a little bit of adding onto it, and I'll have a nice little base. Then I'll look at acquiring that ship...so happy to see Pirates are back!

I think removing the big ugly Jolly Roger from the ship's sail was a smart move... If they really remove it in the final version that is. As for the Impulse sets, I'm going to get plenty of the soldier ones and maybe just one/two of the pirate ones (I prefer having another large military force to having another horde of pirates :pir-classic: ).

I think removing the big ugly Jolly Roger from the ship's sail was a smart move... If they really remove it in the final version that is. As for the Impulse sets, I'm going to get plenty of the soldier ones and maybe just one/two of the pirate ones (I prefer having another large military force to having another horde of pirates :pir-classic: ).

Sounds like a plan. It always annoyed me that lego pirates had better ships and more men than lego navy. Historically inacurate.

Edited by Captain Zuloo

Well, that's because the theme was called Pirates, so it was like "pirates featuring soldiers" and not the other way round... Fortunately we MOC builders have the power to get it straight.

I still hope they release a ship for soldiers in the next wave of sets though.

Oh, and it just hit me that the lack of pirate symbol on the sail makes the new ship more versatile and easier to use as a soldiers' ship... Just like BSB in the good old days...

Edited by Dreamweb

Really? I thought Aqua raiders was a general release. Ah well. :pir-sceptic:

And Avatar was US only because I'm sure no one has heard of it outside of the US. :pir-hmpf_bad:

Yes we have, I watched every episode in english, and its coming on a local tc show for kids in german (sucks though) in germany here ;)

@topic: Pirates here we come!!

Well, that's because the theme was called Pirates, so it was like "pirates featuring soldiers" and not the other way round... Fortunately we MOC builders have the power to get it straight.

I still hope they release a ship for soldiers in the next wave of sets though.

True, but very very inaccurate! I do hope there will be a wave of sets following.

I hadn't noticed that about the absence of the skull and crossbones motif on the sails in the latest photo. I sincerely hope that is the case with the final version.

A pity about the chain to hold up the front sail. I'm all in favour of doing away with loose string (it's an awful hassle and always seemed unlego-ish), but surely they could have used that special string piece that has studs attached to either end, rather than a clunky chain halfway up the ship mast?

Yes, I too am glad the the UGGGGLY skull and crossbones was removed. I *barfed* when I saw it! But 79.99 Euros for the ship... *megablocks*! Way too much, as is the 49.99 Euro Soldier Fort thing.

Yes, I too am glad the the UGGGGLY skull and crossbones was removed. I *barfed* when I saw it! But 79.99 Euros for the ship... *megablocks*! Way too much, as is the 49.99 Euro Soldier Fort thing.

True, but very very inaccurate! I do hope there will be a wave of sets following.

Inaccurate - yes. But also - probably - more appealing to children. And I don't think that proportion is gonna change in new wave of sets. But I won't cry because of that - I'll just buy more soldiers and less pirates... :pir-classic:

I nearly missed those new pictures, the impulse set is perfect and just want I wanted. Now with any luck the shako price might come down to something more affordable.

I nearly missed those new pictures, the impulse set is perfect and just want I wanted. Now with any luck the shako price might come down to something more affordable.

Are there new pictures somewhere? Can someone provide a link please? Thanks!

Tony

Are there new pictures somewhere? Can someone provide a link please? Thanks!

Tony

I don't know if I can provide a link because of TLC requesting images to come off of EB, but I'm sure that if you google search "2009 lego pirates pictures" somethig will come up? Maybe at retard.zone.com? Dunno, just an idea...

I hope this helps.