fenrir

LEGO points in sets 1993

Hello,

Today I saw some instructions on the internet.

On the last page of these instructions on the corner of the page are some Points printed.

(The bigger the set, the more points you get)

A lot of the sets from 1993 had these points

I searched the internet but couldn't find the purpose of these points.

So do one of you know what the purpose was of those points?

thank You

fenrir

I have know idea but also in the Drome Racer sets they had some special points which I think you could use to get some freebies. These points you are talking about are probably something similar.

Hello,

Today I saw some instructions on the internet.

On the last page of these instructions on the corner of the page are some Points printed.

(The bigger the set, the more points you get)

A lot of the sets from 1993 had these points

I searched the internet but couldn't find the purpose of these points.

So do one of you know what the purpose was of those points?

thank You

fenrir

I think it was an old gimmick to get free sets or something, I was a year too late for 1993 though. It's probably for a mail-in due to the lack of internet.

thanks for raising that question! I wondered about that too since 1993...

but I can't remember any contest or sweepstakes (is this the right word?)

I remember these coupons. Many sets from 1992 to 1994 had them in the back of the instructions. The Galactic Mediator for example has a 425 point coupon and the Deep Freeze Defender has a 375 point one. I read about them somewhere at one point, but I can't remember now how exactly they worked. It was some sort of promotional thing where you could get some free item if you collected enough of them and mailed them in.

I know what you mean, but i'm unsure what they were for..

It could also be to show the ''building skill'' required, like on model kits?

Never saw anything about collecting them for a free set or discount or anything.

Yes! I've been meaning to ask this too!

I noticed it again when I was sorting my instructions into folders. It could have been from promotion but when the sets originally came out I had no idea what the points were for and there was never any advertisements for a promotion.

It's probably what "Captain green hair" said; a building skill reference.

I don't think it has to do with building skill, thats's what the age suggestions are for. Odd ,I've never heard of these before.

I would guess you could save up some amount and send them in for a t-shirt or a little set.

Is there any reference pics of this? I remember seeing a yellow star with '1993' beside it in some catalogs, and I thought that meant they werent available after '93. I think I saw some with 1994 aswell.

Edit: These are what I am talking about: Paradisa and Pirates. If you look closely you can see the stars and barely make out a number at the bottom. I hope I havent gone all off topic here.

Edited by Skinny Boy

Highly interesting, I always wondered too. I'm moving this to the embassy since an answer could come from our ambassador (or he can ask if he doesn't know)

Is there any reference pics of this? I remember seeing a yellow star with '1993' beside it in some catalogs, and I thought that meant they werent available after '93. I think I saw some with 1994 aswell.

the star marked new products. they weren't available before '93. :wink:

The Galactic Mediator for example has a 425 point coupon
Is there any reference pics of this?

020.jpg

This is a pic aof the Galactic Mediator "stamp".

I don´t know what it is good for, though. It was in my dark ages...

some of my old instructions (from sets I got as a child) are missing this "coupon"...

but I can't remember a thing...! :wacko:

020.jpg

This is a pic aof the Galactic Mediator "stamp".

I don´t know what it is good for, though. It was in my dark ages...

This is a nice example of those points.

In the corner of the page is a setnumber, and some points printed.

still don't know their purpose.

I have done some research! (not much really) I used these to sets which I own. The first is 6038 Wold pack renegades.

6038-1.jpg

The second is 6342 Beach rescue chopper.

6342-1.jpg

Both sets have points. WPR has 70 points where as the BRC has 100 points. On the tokens they also each have their set number and year of production. So I think the larger the set is the more points you get from it. (Kind of obvious but that's all I have got) Also that even bigger set that fenrir posted has even more points.

I emailed LEGO and this is what I got...

Dear Mr Kennerley (that's me),

Thanks for getting in touch with us.

The points on the corners of older LEGO sets were part of a discount system back in the 20th century. Unfortunaltely we don't have this system in place anymore!

Happy building!

Thomas Götze

LEGO Direct

Now we know what they are for!

But sadly not why Lego never mentioned this discount system to anyone! Or how it worked for that mater.

I asked for clarification on that and this is what I got:

Thank you Mr. Hinckley for contacting the LEGO group.

In answer to your question, only psychics were able to take advantage of our point discount system.

In answer to your other inquiry, Fabuland will never ever make a return so please stop asking.

In answer to your third inquiry, we're not at liberty to discuss new themes for the upcoming year...but I'm feeling giddy so why not? There will be a new theme in 2009 called Super Salamander and his sidekick Goofy Gorilla about two animal vigilante super heroes who live in the sewers of Paris. Think Les Miserables meets Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles meets a Salamander. This new line will include a $3000 skyscraper set that rises to 30 feet and no I will not convert that into metric for you.

Have a nice day. Love always, some lady who works for LEGO

So, that answers that.

I emailed LEGO and this is what I got...
Dear Mr Kennerley (that's me (I guess so)),

Thanks for getting in touch with us.

The points on the corners of older LEGO sets were part of a discount system back in the 20th century. Unfortunaltely we don't have this system in place anymore!

Happy building!

Thomas Götze

LEGO Direct

Now we know what they are for!

In other words, Mr Götze doesn't know it either. :classic:

I asked about these points back in the early 90s at some stores and none knew the purpose of these. I also had the chance to have my home right in front of TLC's Belgian distribution center (still back in late 80s - early 90s). I went out there to ask about the points and I got the same answer. Apparently the concept of points was introduced but never used (atleast in Belgium).

I think that if it had any purpose, we would find some info about it in the catalogs. The catalogs from the Benelux doesn't contain anything about it. Maybe you guys can check your older catalogs...

The North American catalogs from that time don't say anything about it, but it's possible that the Lego Direct catalogs or the larger S@H magazines may have something. I don't have any from those years though.

The North American catalogs from that time don't say anything about it, but it's possible that the Lego Direct catalogs or the larger S@H magazines may have something. I don't have any from those years though.

I have the SAH catalogs from those years and they say nothing.

Since this is answered, we can move it back to General Discussion and keep our Embassy neat and tidy...