17 members have voted

1. 1. Vote your opinion

• Poor
    • Below Average
    • Average
    • Above Average
    • Outstanding

Great review with tons of photos!!! :thumbup:

As for the set itself, I don't know - it's OK, but after all it's just another ship, right? I woudn't buy it, to be honest.

Your loss, IMO.

I think TLC nailed this one. Great SNOT techniques, and great figs!

DSR

I wasn't to sure about this set but I think I might get it when the time comes. :devil:

But that's the whole point of an in-depth review, to see all the steps of the build! :wacko:

Actually no, a review is an opinion piece that analyzes the qualities of something highlighting both positives and negatives of the materials provided, design, pricing and whatever else is relevant. Illustrations are important and can be used effectively but some of the best reviews I have ever read of LEGO sets had no illustrations other than the main box image.

Taking detailed pictures during the build is useful if they are highlighting an interesting or new building technique or element. If I want to see every step of the build however I could just download the instructions. :classic:

On the new windscreen included with this set, is the straight section on the sides 5 studs long or 4 studs long? It looks to be 5, and I could use it if it was. I wanted to check with someone who knew before I bought one.

On the new windscreen included with this set, is the straight section on the sides 5 studs long or 4 studs long? It looks to be 5, and I could use it if it was. I wanted to check with someone who knew before I bought one.

The straight section is five studs long. The whole thing is 8 studs long.

Hope this helps.

DSR

Edited by Dark Sword Ragnarok

The straight section is five studs long. the whole thing is 8 studs long.

Hope this helps.

DSR

Thank you very much sir, it helped greatly. I I am redesigning my Z95 to better accomodate the pilot and that particular windscreen was the only one that looked right and fit the dimensions I needed. Much thanks!

Edited by stampede_dude

Thank you very much sir, it helped greatly. I I am redesigning my Z95 to better accomodate the pilot and that particular windscreen was the only one that looked right and fit the dimensions I needed. Much thanks!

Great! glad to help out!

Can't wait to see that finished Headhunter of yours! :wink:

DSR

Thanks for the review!

This looks like an interesting set and your review covered everything. However, I STILL think the Droid Gunship is a much cooler looking ship and a more satisfying build.

Thanks for the review!

This looks like an interesting set and your review covered everything. However, I STILL think the Droid Gunship is a much cooler looking ship and a more satisfying build.

I agree, the Gunship is cooler, but I'm not sure if its a more satisfying build. :sceptic:

I wouldn't know, I dont have it, so....

DSR

First Manual Page (because it's super important not to build on carpet. :tongue: )

lego019.jpg

that actually grass :tongue: anyway cool review. if it wasn't $60 in canada i'd buy it but whatever

that actually grass :tongue:

I think it COULD be carpet, because I built one of my Separatist Spider Droids there and they got covered in carpet fluff! :thumbdown:

I still think this set is overpriced, but your review could convince me otherwise DSR! :thumbup: (Present for Christmas)

On a sidenote, the Twilight was number 23 in the most wanted products for the USA when I looked earlier today! :wink:

So, it seems someone DOES want it! It wasn't even on the Uk most wanted list.

that actually grass :tongue: anyway cool review. if it wasn't $60 in canada i'd buy it but whatever

Well, the purpose of it is to tell you to build on a hard surface.

I think it COULD be carpet, because I built one of my Separatist Spider Droids there and they got covered in carpet fluff! :thumbdown:

I still think this set is overpriced, but your review could convince me otherwise DSR! :thumbup: (Present for Christmas)

On a sidenote, the Twilight was number 23 in the most wanted products for the USA when I looked earlier today! :wink:

So, it seems someone DOES want it! It wasn't even on the Uk most wanted list.

Cool, the Twilight is loved!

Glad you liked the review.

DSR

Yeah, that must be the rare Albino Grass... :tongue:

Thanks for that awesome review.

A bunch of razorsharp pics and some great considerations on this fine set.

Keep it up!

KimT

I got this set at Midnight madness(along with the Separatist Spider droid) and I must say, this is a must buy! There's a lot of nice parts, and the new figs are amazing(their so cool, that you can stick minifig heads on em', no joke!!!)

Also, thanks for the review, DSR, now I know how to mod those staffs!

CT

I got this set at Midnight madness(along with the Separatist Spider droid) and I must say, this is a must buy! There's a lot of nice parts, and the new figs are amazing(their so cool, that you can stick minifig heads on em', no joke!!!)

Also, thanks for the review, DSR, now I know how to mod those staffs!

CT

Whoops, looks like I missed this! :tongue:

Your welcome CT, the staff mod is really useful for playability!

And I agree, it is definately a must buy!

DSR

I couldn't resist buying this set. I went to my local toy store and they had this one. I didn't want to buy anything, but by mistake I touched the box and wauw! I've never touched a LEGO box that felt like silk before. - To be sure I discretely touched a few "regular" Lego boxes and they felt nothing like this new Clone Wars set. So I bought it and rushed home.

Tonight I built it and sadly I am as happy as I am sad.

Why? These are the reasons:

Happy:

1. Design - this is a well designed starfighter

2. Pieces - a lot of fine pieces

3. Figs - always nice to get new figs, especially when they have new capes :thumbup:

Sad:

1. They've changed the pole brick thing to a new bulkier model:

magnaguard004.jpg

Now that might have been ok (new version in the buttom of the pic), but it makes the staves and some of the fighter look goofy. I've replaced the pole with the old model for your convenience in the following pics:

magnaguard005.jpg

Top = old, Bottom=new

Also the Magna Guards can't handle their combat pole very cool in the new version:

magnaguard030.jpg

2. The cockpit doesn't fit the Magna Guard Droid (or is it the other way around):

magnaguard031.jpg

3. The top of the wings falls off easily when wing is lifted in upward position:

magnaguard020.jpg

It's only attached by a 1x1 round plate and a 1x3 plate - not much to struggle with the hands (and force) of a child opening the wing to get the crappy pole/staff/rod for his does-not-fit-the-cockpit-magna-guard-droid. :thumbdown:

magnaguard017.jpg

A nice set, that has some flaws...damn

So they changed the pole design, even after the set was put out? Because in the other reviews I've read of this set, it looks like the old one was used. Its shorter, too, so you would think it would screw things up. I sometimes wonder what TLC is thinking... :sceptic:

I couldn't resist buying this set. I went to my local toy store and they had this one. I didn't want to buy anything, but by mistake I touched the box and wauw! I've never touched a LEGO box that felt like silk before. - To be sure I discretely touched a few "regular" Lego boxes and they felt nothing like this new Clone Wars set. So I bought it and rushed home.

And I've never heard someone speak so passionately of a box of plastic bricks! :laugh:

Edited by darthperson

KimT, that is really strange. My set had the old version. Maybe you got a bunch of defects? :sceptic:

Anyway, a tip on the Magnaguard staff,, on the side with the fat area, put the purple cone on the other side of the fat side, so it's on the end. Then, when you want to load it into the back of the fighter, push down the cone on the side without the fat part, and stick it in the holder. This way, the staff looks better and still works the same!

Also, the Magnaguard's legs are supposed to go all the way up to the black arm, then the arm flods down to (kind of) hold it in place. My solution? Add a bar or minifig handlebar onto the black arm, and have the Magnaguard hold onto it.

Works for me!

DSR

And I've never heard someone speak so passionately of a box of plastic bricks! :laugh:

What do you mean? :tongue: It's not just a box of plastic bricks, it's a silky smooth seductive cardboardbox of ABS plastic bricks. :wub:

KimT, that is really strange. My set had the old version. Maybe you got a bunch of defects? :sceptic:

Nope. It's company business. When a brick is replaced by a newer version, they simply add it when the obsolete version is used up. We had quite a fuzz when this pin_joiner_round.gif changed into this pin_joiner_round_with_slot.jpg

Anyway, a tip on the Magnaguard staff,, on the side with the fat area, put the purple cone on the other side of the fat side, so it's on the end. Then, when you want to load it into the back of the fighter, push down the cone on the side without the fat part, and stick it in the holder. This way, the staff looks better and still works the same!

DSR

Yeah I know I saw that neat solution in your review. But at first I wanted to construct the set "properly" and then later make some changes. But thanks for reminding me of that.

PS: Pics missing in this post will be added shortly :wacko: