Sign in to follow this  
Swab

HMS Achilles

thindexedgif.gif 54d

Hi all,

I'm new here, but I just wanted to show ya'll one of my ships.

The HMS Achilles; 38 guns. I tried to keep the profile of the hull low while still making the rest of the ship "beefy" enough. She's long and narrow. I'm constantly changing small parts of it, but this is the most recent picture.

102_0004.jpg

This is my first frigate and I'm pleased with most of the outcome. The one thing I've never quite been satisfied with however is the cabin galleries and the focsul. :pir-hmpf_bad:

102_0005.jpg

Port quarter.

102_0012.jpg

102_0014.jpg

The stern.

102_0007.jpg

Let me know what ya'll think, and I'd appreciate any tips.

Thanks,

Swab

Edit by Phred: Down-sized pics.

That is beutiful! All that would ever be needed on that majesty are lattice windows on the stern castle!

Hi all,

I'm new here, but I just wanted to show ya'll one of my ships.

Now that's the best way to introduce yourself! :thumbup:

With a ship! :pir-classic:

It's design looks a lot like one of the Original American Six Frigates.

The only change i'd do to this ship is to have more studs between each gun port.

Other than that, it looks Great!

In the future, please put in down-sized pics of 800x600 when posting pics so that it decreases upload time for others to see the pics.

I've replaced the your current pics with down-sized ones.

Also, i've added this ship to the Index of MOC Ships.

Avast Swab!!!

I've always wanted to write that but haven't really had the opportunity to use it in the proper context - come to think of it this occasion is still probably not the right context, but nevermind!

Welcome to the LEGO Pirate Forum!

Awesome work Swab!

An exceptional ship you made. I've never seen one like this before.

Your building style is really unique! I especially like the refreshing cabin construction.

I really like the colourscheme you chose, very clever.

I do agree with Phreddie though, a litte more space (3 or 4 studs rather than just 2) between those guns and it would be excellent!

I've seen your work on Brickshelf some while ago, and there was a nice Brig in it as well. Are you also going to post that one?

It's design looks a lot like one of the Original American Six Frigates.

The only change i'd do to this ship is to have more studs between each gun port.

Other than that, it look Great!

Well actually the space between gun ports is accurate especially since its a british frigate each gunner had only one foot space no kidding. So great job for being historiclly accurate :pir-blush:

Edited by Captain Webb

Awesome work Swab!

An exceptional ship you made. I've never seen one like this before.

Your building style is really unique! I especially like the refreshing cabin construction.

I really like the colourscheme you chose, very clever.

I do agree with Phreddie though, a litte more space (3 or 4 studs rather than just 2) between those guns and it would be excellent!

I've seen your work on Brickshelf some while ago, and there was a nice Brig in it as well. Are you also going to post that one?

Well I didn't want to show off all of them at once but if you want to see it.... :pir-blush:

Ah one of my favorite prefabhull frigates on the whole of BS.

Very nice job indeed, although i have to concur with Phred and Mr. Tiber. The gunportspacing would be better with 3 or 4 studs apart instead of 2.

But that's just a minor detail :pir-tongue:

Keep up the good work Swab :thumbup:

Well actually the space between gun ports is accurate especially since its a british frigate each gunner had only one foot space no kidding. So great job for being historiclly accurate :pir-blush:

I'm curious where you got that figure? :pir-blush:

I have yet to hear of such a small amount of space for a cannon; I'd be interested to read where you got that from. :pir-blush:

Every ship i've seen has at least an 8 foot (stud) space for each cannon.

Check out the math of the 36-gun HMS Sirius.

Well I didn't want to show off all of them at once but if you want to see it.... :pir-blush:

I'd let this one have the spot light a little longer mate. :pir-wink:

You could always post a blurry, extreme close-up pic in this thread to increase the anticipation. :pir-laugh:

Mr. Tiber and Captain Greenie like to do that. :pir-tongue:

Ah one of my favorite prefabhull frigates on the whole of BS.

Very nice job indeed, although i have to concur with Phred and Mr. Tiber. The gunportspacing would be better with 3 or 4 studs apart instead of 2.

But that's just a minor detail :pir-tongue:

Keep up the good work Swab :thumbup:

I'm rebuilding the gun deck now with each gun 3 studs apart , and I'm very pleased with the new look. However, because of the loss of space she will be reduced to 36 guns; oh well. :pir-classic:

Thanks for the tip guys!

You are a great ship builder, and you should really make a thread for your HMS Sabre, which oddly enough is the name of of my old and crappy ship. In fact, your Sabre was a great inspiration to my newest ship (still a WIP)

That could be true, but with only 2 studs space between the guns there is no room left between two guns. And since one stud is aproxx one feet, you'd need at least 3 studs :pir-wink:

This is a very nice design!! Excellent work with the prefab hulls.

I like the flags and the cabin a lot.

Can we also get a close up of the deck? It looks like you have a custom long boat in there that we should all get a good look at as well!

I think this might be the best "first ship" we have seen.

A few suggestions if I may:

1) Regarding the ship's cannons... are the guns on the top deck (there appear to be a few) directly over the guns on the lower deck? I would consider changing that so they are off-set...

2) The upper most sails (the "royals") appear to be a little undersized. Check out the second picture under "ship construction" in this link to see a technique on making the masts taller! Construction Link If you are happy with them, then don't bother, just an idea that others have enjoyed.

Keep MOCing.