Sign in to follow this  
MagPiesRUs

Aztec Temple Attack

thindexedgif.gif N-M 7-A

I originally posted this as an entry in the "A Pirate's Life!" competition, but I've decided to make a seperate thread for it, containing more pictures and such. Lets get straight into it, shall we?

Category: Large

Set Name: Aztec Temple Attack

Piece Count: 200!

Descrption: The Armada soldiers are attacking the mighty Aztec temple! Can the Aztecs defeat the invading Spanish and put them in their prison (and sacrifice them on the altar at the temple top :pir-sick: ) and defend their gold? Or will the Spanish defeat the Aztecs, free their captured comrade and take the gold? Which side will you choose? Includes prison, breakable wall, sacrificial altar, golden statue and cannon. Contains Aztec high priest, Aztec warrior, 3 Spanish soldiers and 3 horses.

A couple of overall views:

DSCF4299.jpg

DSCF4300.jpg

The temple top:

DSCF4297.jpg

A golden statue of an Aztec god:

DSCF4296.jpg

An Aztec prison, containing a poor Spaniard:

DSCF4295.jpg

Thye Aztec High Priest calls for the next sacrificial victim to come up...

DSCF4301.jpg

The Spaniard makes a daring escape!

DSCF4347.jpg

"I suppose you'll have to do..."

DSCF4345.jpg

Load the cannon...

DSCF4352.jpg

... And fire! The wall collapses! (looks like they hit the Spaniard as well though... :imperialguard_commander1:)

DSCF4353.jpg

... Which reveals a large stash of Aztec gold! :pir-devil: But beware of the spiders! (did that cannonball just change colour? :pir-look:)

DSCF4298.jpg

Have minutes of fun with this set!

DSCF4355.jpg

Aztec warrior and High Priest:

DSCF4350.jpg

The Conquistadores:

DSCF4351.jpg

Enjoy! Feedback much appreciated :pir-sweet:

Edited by SlyOwl

Very cool, TinyPiesRUs! The minifigs are perfect, the Conquistadores look great, and those Aztecs are awesome, the monkey shield fits perfectly and the plant on the Aztec warrior's back is a great addition.

The temple itself is neat, very Aztec looking, the golden statue is indeed neat and would be great for parts, as well as those wall pieces with the Aztec stickers. The only thing IO find a bit strange is the sticker on the inside of the temple, where the gold is. Any particular reason it's on sideways? :grin: Anyway, a neat MOC indeed, great job!

~Peace

Great work

i love the high priests hat :pir-wub: :pir-wub: :pir-wub:

the set has a lot of mini figs! i can see smaller sets having aztec warriors, at least then they may have a chance against the Spanish cannons :pir-skull:

Cpt. PB

I loved this entry, and I still love it. It's one of a handful that I actually would like to replicate in some form.

From minifigs to playability, this has it all. I especially appreciate that, unlike the way LEGO does things, each minifig has a unique head and personality.

The golden idol is a nice mix of the available parts in that colour, the little prison cell is very traditional LEGO, they loved giving us something like that in their official sets, and the wheeled cannon, while never part of any official Pirate sets, really fits the look.

Sometimes even the simple details can really do the trick. The palm tree base torches are a good example of that.

I personally thank you for entering this in the contest, and for sharing more of it here. :pir-sweet:

Now I want one that fills a 48x48 baseplate! :pir-grin:

Great temple, filled with so much playability! I love it, especially the secret compartment below where they house the treasure. It reminds me so much of Indiana Jones. :pir-classic:

The sacrifice altar was done very well, making use of Indiana Jones parts to illustrate it was a good choice. I can really imagine myself playing with this set, or change it to some mysterious cult for my Castles. :pir-tongue:

Nice work, here! :pir-wink:

You know what? I sincerely think it would work as a real (I mean official :pir-grin:) Lego set, opening a new line on the Pirates theme: Aztecs VS Conquistadores :pir-devil:

Wow, thanks for all of the great comments, guys :wub:

Very cool, TinyPiesRUs! The minifigs are perfect, the Conquistadores look great, and those Aztecs are awesome, the monkey shield fits perfectly and the plant on the Aztec warrior's back is a great addition.

The temple itself is neat, very Aztec looking, the golden statue is indeed neat and would be great for parts, as well as those wall pieces with the Aztec stickers. The only thing IO find a bit strange is the sticker on the inside of the temple, where the gold is. Any particular reason it's on sideways? :grin: Anyway, a neat MOC indeed, great job!

~Peace

Thanks. As to the sticker being on sideways, it must be one of the many mysteries of the Aztec Kingdom... or perhaps it's just how you attach one of the stickers in 7623 Temple Escape :pir-tongue:

One word... Beautiful :pir-cry_happy:

Thank you. :pir-sweet:

I loved this entry, and I still love it. It's one of a handful that I actually would like to replicate in some form.

From minifigs to playability, this has it all. I especially appreciate that, unlike the way LEGO does things, each minifig has a unique head and personality.

The golden idol is a nice mix of the available parts in that colour, the little prison cell is very traditional LEGO, they loved giving us something like that in their official sets, and the wheeled cannon, while never part of any official Pirate sets, really fits the look.

Sometimes even the simple details can really do the trick. The palm tree base torches are a good example of that.

I personally thank you for entering this in the contest, and for sharing more of it here. :pir-sweet:

Now I want one that fills a 48x48 baseplate! :pir-grin:

Thank you, I'm glad you liked it. :pir-sweet: I was very pleased with how the torches and the statue turned out. A 48x48 temple? Sure, I'll post pics tommorrow. :pir-tongue::pir-grin:

Great temple, filled with so much playability! I love it, especially the secret compartment below where they house the treasure. It reminds me so much of Indiana Jones. :pir-classic:

The sacrifice altar was done very well, making use of Indiana Jones parts to illustrate it was a good choice. I can really imagine myself playing with this set, or change it to some mysterious cult for my Castles. :pir-tongue:

Thanks. While it does have playability, it is slightly more fragile than you'd imagine. What kind of cult would you have in mind as a castle faction?

Nice work, here! :pir-wink:

You know what? I sincerely think it would work as a real (I mean official :pir-grin:) Lego set, opening a new line on the Pirates theme: Aztecs VS Conquistadores :pir-devil:

Thanks. Yes, a Conquistador/New World theme would be great :wub:

Once again, thanks for the feedback. :pir-classic:

For only 200 pieces, there is a lot of detail in this MOC. :thumbup:

This is great work TPRU!

I like the idea of using Palm tree stumps for torches!

That looks pretty kool.

This MOC has been added to the Index of Land-Based MOCs in the Non-Military Section.

Wonderful work TinyPies!

I really like those ancient-tribe MOCs lately. Long live Indiana Jones sets!

You've captured the ancient feel very well with the building style and the colours.

The collapsing wall and spaniard-escape is just plain awesome and would fit in great in an official LEGO set.

Minifigs used are good, especially the Priest, although the warrior seems a bit out of place. I would have given him a Islanders warrior torso instead of his current torso.

Also good use of stickers and nice amount of cool details!

I think this creation would make a very good set. The only modification to make it more "set" like is changing the baseplate because it would be highly unlikely an official set would have that much left over space.

In fact, I think this is frontpage news worthy too :thumbup:

Sorry for the late reply, I've been very busy lately. :pir-blush:

For only 200 pieces, there is a lot of detail in this MOC. :thumbup:

This is great work TPRU!

I like the idea of using Palm tree stumps for torches!

That looks pretty kool.

This MOC has been added to the Index of Land-Based MOCs in the Non-Military Section.

Thank you very much, phred. :pir-classic:

Wonderful work TinyPies!

I really like those ancient-tribe MOCs lately. Long live Indiana Jones sets!

You've captured the ancient feel very well with the building style and the colours.

The collapsing wall and spaniard-escape is just plain awesome and would fit in great in an official LEGO set.

Minifigs used are good, especially the Priest, although the warrior seems a bit out of place. I would have given him a Islanders warrior torso instead of his current torso.

Also good use of stickers and nice amount of cool details!

Thanks. :sweet: I'm glad you like the priest, it was hard finding a suitable headdress for him. Though I didn't use an Islander torso for the warrior because I wanted to make him out as more of a noble-class Aztec warrior, as shown below:

aztec13.gif

Well, that and the fact that I only have one Islander torso. :pir-blush:

I think this creation would make a very good set. The only modification to make it more "set" like is changing the baseplate because it would be highly unlikely an official set would have that much left over space.

In fact, I think this is frontpage news worthy too :thumbup:

Thank you. Yes, I agree that the baseplate is too large, but it was the the best baseplate I had available that would fit the 'Large Entry' category. However, 4856 - Doc Ock's Hideout has a rather empty baseplate (thanks to Batbrick for the review). Of course there are admittedly very few real sets that are like this.

p1230639.jpg

Thanks again for the feedback guys :wub: