Sign in to follow this  
Batbrick

The Mega Mayan Temple

thindexedgif.gif N-M 6-D

And what a great example of alliteration in that subtitle too! :grin:

I've been wanting to share this for so long, but since I wanted to post it in the Indy contest I couldn't be sure if I should, but thankfully Sinner said it was okay (Thanks mate!).

Also, many thanks to TheBrickster for the inspiration and permission to set up my own little jungle setup (btw, I felt this should go here as it is really not an Indy creation). Lots of thanks TP friend.

Anyway, here she is, I call her "Vera" (Firefly fans may get that one):

p1230485.jpg

I am so proud of this thing, it used up almost all my good bley bricks and slopes:

p1230489.jpg

It also used up almost all my foliage, but I plan to keep this baby together a looong time! :cry_happy:

p1230490.jpg

I was inspired to make it after pulling apart my Temple of Akator (tan being used for another big project), and really wanted to use that cool dark tan baseplate for a display so the Indy sets I wanted to keep together (truck, jeep, duck, cutter, motorbikes, plane and tent) wouldn't be alone:

p1230494.jpg

It really is huge, it barely fits in my cupboard space vertically, but I wouldn't change it a bit:

p1230495.jpg

The rock (my first attempt at creating a good rock sculpture) and stairs were made first, I'm really happy with how the rock came out:

p1230500.jpg

I originally wanted to make an ancient architecture for the door, but I prefer the palm leaves over it myself. The doors open inwards. Here you can also see a better look at the windows, the skulls partially covered came out quite well I think:

p1230496.jpg

And it opens to a beautiful Mayan fertility idol, so don't touch it, or you get pregnant :look:

p1230499.jpg

And the trees out front hold a hidden treasure. Also note here the way the stairs are built with the foliage and spikes, this was the single most rebuilt section of the temple:

p1230505.jpg

The sides hold foliage as well:

p1230512.jpg

And another hidden treasure:

p1230513.jpg

The roof, using a technique I saw from TheBrickster (all credit due to him as inspiration) for the vines:

p1230521.jpg

I'm happy the way the roof turned out as it originally looked too much like a house roof, so the slanting movement of it and the mini temple above worked out:

p1230517.jpg

And the top most part of the temple, where the ancient crystal idol rests, still being worshiped by the remaining members of the sacred temple:

p1230519.jpg

Now for the inside:

p1230524.jpg

I really wanted an architecture and look that would still seem old but still very colourful and filled with gold:

The centerpiece, as you can see I tried to get rid of as many of those gold slopes as possible:

p1230527.jpg

The throne on the right. As you can see there is a treasure chest behind the spiders web, and a nice little setup with the gold cups and nuggets:

p1230528.jpg

The left one, I went with bright green foliage for some small asymmetry:

p1230534.jpg

And the throne, found on either side. I'm really happy with how the chair came out, as it took me a while. I'll admit it looks a little strange in this pic though:

p1230535.jpg

And my own trap (had to include one, no matter how lame), an old net that is triggered by touching the idol which send four spears and an attached net flying toward you:

p1230537.jpg

Overall view, I like the contrast between the outside and inside:

p1230538.jpg

And Indy comes to get his prize:

p1230546.jpg

But Johnny already has it dear boy! :tongue:

p1230551.jpg

Final view:

p1230552.jpg

WAY more pics here:

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=322991

Thanks very much for looking, comments appreciated. I'll most likely mod it a tad temporarily to fit into my idea for the contest, thanks again :cry_happy:

Batbrick Away! :devil:

:wub:

This is definately your finest piece of work so far, Batbrick. This temple is beautiful! :wub:

Starting with the outside, I love all of the detail of it, the roof is especially nice. I like the stone heads hanging off, although more support would've been nice here. The vine technique is very nice and I love the platforms on the roof, and the tower at the top is very well done. In fact, I think that just the roof alone would make a nice MOC. :wink:

The steps are great, with a creepy and dangerous atmosphere to them. The rock landscaping is very nice, and I love all of the little treasures you've dispersed in the little nooks and crannies, great utilisation of the baseplate. Finally, I love the overgrown and weathered look of it, all of the foilage and vegetation creates a very isolated and remote look, a perfect setting for an adventure.

I love the stark contrast between the outside and the outside, with great utilisation of tans, reds and golds. I especially like those little tables holding the goblets, as well as the tan tiles. What I'm really interested in though, is how the spears and net fall down?

A fantastic MOC, Batbrick, great work. Though it looks like someone beat you to posting it :grin:

WOW! :oh: That is pretty good Batbrick! :sweet: A lot of detail and a nice overal look! :thumbup: Thanks a lot for robbing us of our chance to win the contest! :cry_sad::tongue: Can't wait to hear the real Indy story to it! :grin:

Monstrous Mayan Temples on!

Batbrick, that is simply amazing! :wub:

I love old temples! And I love this one! It looks exactly like your classic spooky temple of whatever, with all the gold and foliage and idols and hidden traps and gold and... *breath* ...gold and skulls and awesome rock sculptures and funny crystal dudes and... wow!

The idol looks nice on its pedestal, and the rest of the interior looks very grand and templey (that's a new word by the way :wink: ). I love that dark tan baseplate! I need to get mine out of its box and start building!

Your use of foliage is very nice, and a particularly good use of pieces for the vines, that is very creative, I would never have thought of it! (well done TheBrickster! :sweet: )

The roof looks great with its tiered effect, and the little shrine at the top makes all the difference! Back to the bottom, the stairs look well built and the skeleton heads add a degree of spookiness to the MOC. The various bits of treasure that are scattered all over the place is also a nice touch; you have used this baseplate to it's maximum potential! The statues that are hanging down look great, as does the small bits of vine that add interest to the walls.

I don't want to go on too long, so I'll just say again well done! :thumbup: This is an amazing piece of work and you should be proud! I am proud for you! :grin: Really just amazing!

Now I need to go build something to match it. :devil::tongue: (I don't think I'm up to it, I mean look at that beast! It's just... wow!... :oh: )

EDIT: Although my one criticism is that there is an absence of dragons. :wink:All old temples need dragons! :grin:

Edited by dragonator

Batbrick, by far this is the best MOC I had ever seen of yours. Outstanding piece of work. I am very impressed by the size of the Mayan temple. The structure of the building is done in a realistic manner, especially its landscaping.

Now, let me go onto the details. :tongue:

You have found a great use for that baseplate which looks very useful and matched very well in the entire MOC. The rock sulpture looks wonderful, like the way how you used the grey brick to illustrate it. It looks fierce, maybe with abit of flames, it will be more scary.

The foilage is done very well. Certainly, Brickster had inspired most of us in his jungle building technique. I love how you covered the temple with adequate foilage. As for the stairs, I love it. It does look rather neat for a temple that is stuck in the ruins for sometimes in the jungle. :laugh: I am not saying its a bad thing, in fact I find this idea quite fresh.

There is a treasure hidden in the bushes. Using the spears as stairs, is something very interesting. I wonder how Indiana Jones will climb down and retrieve the treasure. Maybe with its whip? Why did you use the KK2 gold sword? Maybe brown spear will be better? Just a suggestion, I prefer it to blend into a surrounding. But if the swords are meant to be rare artefact, I understand the concern. :wink:

Now for the interior, I cannot fault anything. In fact, you have done a great job. I noticed there is a trap net above the idol. I wonder how did you trigger that trap? Don't tell me, when I take that idol, that trap net will dropped? In addition, the interior reminds me of the egypt tombstone. Maybe, the gold reminds me of that, since ancient Egypt love to use lots of gold for their inside.

The roof top is done very nicely too. Simply love this piece of MOC. It offer so much of playability. Batbrick, maybe you can introduce us the habitants staying in this Mayan temple.

Great job, Batbrick :thumbup:

Edited by WhiteFang

As Johnny Thunder and his cohorts aren't present I have seized this thread for the Pirate Forum.

All should note the description of the Pirate Forum reads: Pirates, Soldiers, Guards, Islanders, Armada, Napoleonic Wars, Aztec, Maya, Inca and the Age of Sail

As Johnny Thunder and his cohorts aren't present I have seized this thread for the Pirate Forum.

All should note the description of the Pirate Forum reads: Pirates, Soldiers, Guards, Islanders, Armada, Napoleonic Wars, Aztec, Maya, Inca and the Age of Sail

Er, sorry, but Johnny Thunder is present (see pics), this is the first part of my Jungle setup which will be followed by a large tree, river and a military truck, intended to hold some Indy sets but for Johnny to roam around in :pir-blush:

Batbrick Away! :pir-devil:

Edited by Batbrick

Ahhh, I see, the pictures down the bottom can't have loaded when I last looked.

Well, I'll give you the choice, I can move this back to the History & Adventure forum or leave it here and your can MOC benefit from the additional exposure of the Classic-Pirates.com frontpage and newsletter.

Ahhh, I see, the pictures down the bottom can't have loaded when I last looked.

Well, I'll give you the choice, I can move this back to the History & Adventure forum or leave it here and your can MOC benefit from the additional exposure of the Classic-Pirates.com frontpage and newsletter.

Thankyou, I'll see how it goes, as I have never posted something here (though I do want to in the future)

Batbrick Away! :pir-devil:

Great MOC Batbrick!

Does this mean Johnny Thunder's pregnant now? :tongue:

I'll leave a more detailed comment later, I gotta go now!

~Peace

It´s rubbish. I hate it! And I hate you! :jollyroger: Arr. :pir-grin:

Seriously, this is really cool! Could use some more foliage, though. And the facade of the temple could be a little rougher, less geometric.

Sorry I "took" your post yesterday. But I saw it on BS and didn't see who had made it - I was too engaged with the magnificent building of yours and just felt lucky to stumble across such a pearl before anyone else so I could share my find.

Anyways, as I already wrote in my topic it's awesome. Very very nice. Especially i like all the foliage and the rock sculpture. You've definitely got a big chance of winning the competition with such a beauty.

:pir-oh3::pir-oh3::pir-oh3::pir-oh3::pir-oh3: ... :pir-oh::pir-oh::pir-oh::pir-oh::pir-oh: ... ...

speechless, absolutely speechless...

This is... :pir-wub::pir-wub::pir-wub::pir-wub::pir-wub:

Wow...

Starting to find my words now...

Okay, first things first, absolutely wonderful, you said you were proud and i can see why! The over all design, layout on the baseplate, this was destined for greatness. the rock sculpture somehow holds personality and more importantly is different to those we here in the pirate forum are used to.

these indy sets seem to have quite a few pieces that might just be handy for pirate mocs...

i can see Johny trying to make it back out through the jungle only to be meet by an unruly group of pirates determined to claim the treasure their own... only to be saved by the imperial guards sitting in the bay.

great work Batbrick

hope to see more of your stuff here more often!

regards

Cpt. PB

Amazing work indeed, mr. Batbrick! :pir-sweet:

I specially like the entrance, with those stairs and the two islander shields :pir-wub:

Oh, my Lord! ) That's awsome! ) :thumbup::pir-sweet:

Especially I like the part with Johnny! Go, Johnny boy! ) :pir-cry_happy:

It has a certain feeling of good ol' Adventurers theme and is simple a masterpiece!

Great! Simply great! ) And great things are not to be discussed they are to be enjoyed and admired! )

Thanks, Batbtick! ) :pir-cry_happy:

Edited by The Penguin

I have already seen it on Brickshelf yesterday.

And it's simply awsome.

I can find nothing to criticize... the overall look is great, the inside look is great, too

and Johny Thunder is really great... and pregnant :pir-laugh:

Nothing more to say...^^

And Indy comes to get his prize:

p1230546.jpg

But Johnny already has it dear boy! :tongue:

p1230551.jpg

Go (pregnant) Johnny!

Seriously, this creation is so amazing, I am speechless... :look::wub:

:skull:

Edited by Shoc

I've been wanting to share this for so long, but since I wanted to post it in the Indy contest I couldn't be sure if I should, but thankfully Sinner said it was okay (Thanks mate!).

My pleasure! This will either raise the bar or make people just give up! :tongue: It's a shame that you posted it now though; 2 weeks earlier you could have called it "The Mega May Mayan Temple"! :grin: This really is excellent work, and it shows how much you have grown as a Lego builder. You've also done a great job of showing that the raised baseplates can be used well. I especially like the rock sculpture, although he looks too cute! :laugh:

I look forward to something incredible from you... in tan!

What piece did you use for all those gargoyles? I can't say it looks familiar...

Batbrick used the baby T-Rex piece, probably off Bricklink because the grey ones only appear in one set... I want some! :hmpf_bad:

This is a great MOC. Everything about it works very well, that its so hard to make any meaningful commentary about it. I'm going to cross-post it to adventurers.dk.

Why is this in pirates? Its clearly Adventurers or Indy. And its for the Indy contest.

Batbrick used the baby T-Rex piece, probably off Bricklink because the grey ones only appear in one set... I want some! :hmpf_bad:

Two sets. Both of the big Indy sets have them. The Temple Escape has 2 and the Akator Temple has 8.

Steve

Very nice moc :thumbup: , only maybe it would be even better to use some jungle plants instead of those trees.

Great use of that baseplate (I thought it would be impossible to create such a good looking moc with the use of this baseplate)

i too had already seen this and its simply brill, i really like the rock 'face' (pun intended).

its a good job Indy didnt get there first. im sure he will be able to find the secret treasure to take home

Edited by Pencoin

Two sets. Both of the big Indy sets have them. The Temple Escape has 2 and the Akator Temple has 8.

Oooh, I never noticed that... Maybe I should get the Temple of Akator (for the other pices as well, of course :tongue: )