Sign in to follow this  
WesternOutlaw

Jungle Adventure WIP

Thank you all for the feedback. I've updated the first photo to show additional foliage from my recent pick-a-brick order. The entire scene is looking "more full" with the additional greenery.

I had a thought and wanted to run the idea past those of you who have been checking out this WIP. I was thinking about adding a black steam engine (from the MOT collection), and a green passenger car or two, as a jungle adventure train. Because it would take some rework of the tabletop jungle, I'm not sure if I want to add the train or not.

What are your thoughts?

It looks great! That foilage certainly really ups the view of this MOC.

As for your train:

To me, it would possible to fit in there. I'd say give it a try *sweet* *y* !

Wow! Well done TheBrickster, that foliage really completes it, it loooks fantastic. Great work, I too agree with ImperialScouts, give the train a shot, I think it would be good.

To the Batbrick Cave! >:-)

Looks really good.... and a jungle train ride.... sounds very tempting indeed! :'-) *y*

Jungle Expansion Project: Help Needed!

Professor Henry Jones stands on the river boat as Indy battles the hungry jungle crocodiles.

riverchase3.jpg

Unfortunately, Dr. Jone's mind is not on the crocodiles. He has a dilemma that requires the aid of some worthy Jungle Planners.

With the additional treasure hunting activity in the nearby jungle, some jungle planning is certainly needed.

There is a rumor that a native tribe plans to erect a stone temple within the heart of the jungle. In addition, a small landing field for a cargo plane would certainly help the Indy team. Lastly, more explorers have brought a number of new exploration vehicles including a German WWII jeep and covered truck, an amphibious vehicle, and even a large Russian Jungle Cutter to help create a path through the dense jungle. A road of some kind is needed, not to mention possible train track for the Jungle Adventurers Express.

Dr. Jones needs your thoughts on planning a Jungle Expansion Project. Your opinions and ideas can help create the best Jungle Adventure for the Indy Team.

Share your thoughts on infusing the four new Temple of the Crystal Skull sets and the future TRU exclusive airplane into TheBrickster's Jungle Adventure scene. Your help is needed.

Share your thoughts on infusing the four new Temple of the Crystal Skull sets and the future TRU exclusive airplane into TheBrickster's Jungle Adventure scene. Your help is needed.

Here are my ideas Brickster:

Jungle Duel: Near the heart of the jungle, Indiana Jones and his father are chased by the Russians. They set up camp by the new temple, as they plan to explore it the next day.

River Chase: By the river, Indy, his father, and there new partner Mutt are attacked by the Russians and the gators that infest the river. Mutt drives the Amphibious vihicle while Indy tries getting his father out of the net.

Jungle Cutter: On the other side of the new temple, The Russians cut through the jungle. They are also trying to explore the new temple to retreve the mysterious Crystal Skulls.

Temple of Akatar: The Ugha warriors have recently completed there new temple located in the heart of the jungle. The temple holds the mysterious Crystal Skulls. Both Indy and the Russians seek the treasure inside.

Hope you like my ideas!

Edited by Flatfoot Thompsen

Jungle Duel: Near the heart of the jungle, Indiana Jones and his father are chased by the Russians. They set up camp by the new temple, as they plan to explore it the next day.

River Chase: By the river, Indy, his father, and there new partner Mutt are attacked by the Russians and the gators that infest the river. Mutt drives the Amphibious vihicle while Indy tries getting his father out of the net.

Jungle Cutter: On the other side of the new temple, The Russians cut through the jungle. They are also trying to explore the new temple to retreve the mysterious Crystal Skulls.

Temple of Akatar: The Ugha warriors have recently completed there new temple located in the heart of the jungle. The temple holds the mysterious Crystal Skulls. Both Indy and the Russians seek the treasure inside.

Excellent ideas FT - thank you! Not only did you give me some planning ideas, but also background story for locating the various components.

A few of my considerations:

• New Temple: I'm not sure if I want to place the new temple in the center of the display or the right side (since the Temple Escape is now located on the far left side of the display). Secondly, should it be straight or at an angle.
  • Airstrip/Runway: I am thinking about adding a small airstrip. I'm not sure if I can get away with 2-3 green road plates as the runway or instead use tan baseplates surrounded with green ones. This is in anticipation for the new TRU exclusive plane set. I could also display a few of the German trucks on this bed of tan baseplates.
  • Train: I wanted to add a small train around the Jungle. It may be too much, but a railroad always adds interest to a diorama.
  • Jungle Cutter: Where am I going to put this big green monster? Do I wreck it and add vines and shrubs around it (or) create a jungle cutting scene?

These were just a few of my thoughts in adding the new sets. I haven't built the temple yet (not sure how large it is), or started re-arranging the overall display. At the same time, I don't want to overpopulate the already full tabletop.

[*]Train: I wanted to add a small train around the Jungle. It may be too much, but a railroad always adds interest to a diorama.

[*]Jungle Cutter: Where am I going to put this big green monster? Do I wreck it and add vines and shrubs around it (or) create a jungle cutting scene?

These were just a few of my thoughts in adding the new sets. I haven't built the temple yet (not sure how large it is), or started re-arranging the overall display. At the same time, I don't want to overpopulate the already full tabletop.

I'm not sure they had many trains in the jungles. The terrain was just too tough. Though I guess around the outside, it would be ok.

The cutter is really green, so putting green vines and shrubs on/around wouldn't be as effective. I think a cutting scene would be good.

Steve

I would just like to back track with a layout suggestion. Maybe think about enclosing the Temple Escape set so that the set looks more like a cave. Something as simple as putting a few BURPS along side of it would do the trick. That way, it'll look more like a long cave, as it was in Raiders, and you won't be able to look inside the temple while passing it by in a boat.

As for the new sets, you could very easily make a Russian camp deep in the forest. The non-vehicle parts will certainly mix in with the jungle very well. I would probably put the new temple set in a central jungle location, but with your layout, you'd have to redo the water area, which would be a pain. But wherever it goes, I think that it should definitely look like it is surrounded on all sides by the jungle.

I'm not sure they had many trains in the jungles. The terrain was just too tough.

I think a cutting scene would be good.

Good points. I was hesitant to add the train for this reason.

Maybe think about enclosing the Temple Escape set so that the set looks more like a cave. Something as simple as putting a few BURPS along side of it would do the trick. That way, it'll look more like a long cave, as it was in Raiders, and you won't be able to look inside the temple while passing it by in a boat.

Yes, also a good point. Enclosing it may limit playability and make scene set-up a little more difficult, but it may look better.

wall.jpg

Great suggestions!

Good points. I was hesitant to add the train for this reason.

If you MOC'd up a little makeshift train depot at the edge of the jungle, it could work. Like a jumping off point for jungle adventures. I think this would work better if you were going for an African Congo jungle, rather than a South American Amazon type.

Steve

If you MOC'd up a little makeshift train depot at the edge of the jungle, it could work. Like a jumping off point for jungle adventures.

I'm still not too sure with the addition of an airstrip to. I could possibly use this building as part of the depot. My intent is to use as many official sets in the diorama.

depot.jpg

What you could do is have the cutter cutting down the airstrip next to the outback airstrip set.

Steve

What you could do is have the cutter cutting down the airstrip next to the outback airstrip set.

Steve

This would also let you put the trees elsewhere on the display!

Batbrick Away! :devil:

That's a good idea - thanks.

This would also let you put the trees elsewhere on the display!

Not enough trees BB?

---------------------------------

Well, I redid the entire display yesterday (Sunday). The new Temple looks so cool, although my pictures don't do it justice.

Isn't this slick?

temple1.jpg

I'll post a few more shots as I get closer to the result I'm looking for. I need more palms though.

I always enjoy seeing a set fit into its natural environment. That temple is looking sweet with the water and backdrop.

Lots of trees are definately adding to the jungle affect! :thumbup::thumbup:

Ooooh, somebody got the new Temple. It looks a little bare without the stickers.

What did you think of it?

Steve

Not enough trees BB?

Oh no, I'm just saying that if there was an area you wanted a bit more growth the templ placement of jungle cutter can help with that.

I love the inclusion of the new temple, excellent work with the trees on front, may I suggest adding a bit more shrubery around the inner workings of the temple and front pillars, to make it seem more ancient?

And for the cutter, I'd definitely say make a cutting scene, it's a unique vehicle and deserves to do its job.

Great work so far, I really enjoy the updates :classic:

Ooooh, somebody got the new Temple. It looks a little bare without the stickers.

What did you think of it?

It's a really nice set and I like the colors, esp. how they blend in with the jungle. I love the natives (although I would have appreciated a few more). The collapsing stairs is my favorite of the traps. I'm not real fond of the laser thing on the top. It looks fine, but as mentioned in the review Alex provided, it doesn't work well. It gets stuck when lifting. I hate all the stickers. It's like no piece has a printed decal (at least nothing larger than a 1x2 tile) - my biggest complaint.

Here's a few more pictures of the set:

temple2.jpg

temple3.jpg

Oh no, I'm just saying that if there was an area you wanted a bit more growth the templ placement of jungle cutter can help with that.

may I suggest adding a bit more shrubery around the inner workings of the temple and front pillars, to make it seem more ancient?

Good suggestion. I intentionally left out the shrubs to keep the set as original as possible. I suppose some additional greenery would add to the ancient jungle look as you've mentioned. Thanks for the tip.

And for the cutter, I'd definitely say make a cutting scene, it's a unique vehicle and deserves to do its job.

After adding some tan plates (which are 1/2 the size of a regular road plate) behind the jungle near the backdrop, I discovered that the Jungle Cutter is too wide with the saws/cutting blades. Big downer here. I hate these huge vehicles that don't fit in well with mini-fig scenes and structures. I may leave it out completely.

--------

Here's a few more images of the new Indy sets.

The tree outpost from River Chase:

outpost.jpg

I love the camoufage. It actually does blend in with the jungle well.

The small tomb from Jungle Cutter:

tomb.jpg. I really like this and the new trees. The dark green is very nice.

And the amphib from River Chase. This is a little large, but it works well with the truck and jeep from Race for the Stolen Treasure:

amphib.jpg

Thanks for all the constructive feedback (both you BB and Athos (as well as others who have provided their comments)).

temple2.jpg

temple3.jpg

Awesome minifig positioning there, I love the way you've included all these sets.

I'm liking the set more the more I see it, those natives look fantastic, why did you take off one's hairpiece though?

Good suggestion. I intentionally left out the shrubs to keep the set as original as possible. I suppose some additional greenery would add to the ancient jungle look as you've mentioned. Thanks for the tip.

Thanks. I reckon just put some over the parts where large stickers were meant to go, that way you can get a more detailed look without impeding the view.

After adding some tan plates (which are 1/2 the size of a regular road plate) behind the jungle near the backdrop, I discovered that the Jungle Cutter is too wide with the saws/cutting blades. Big downer here. I hate these huge vehicles that don't fit in well with mini-fig scenes and structures. I may leave it out completely.

Oh dear. I got the set (and the two smaller ones, big temple I'll get when the price drops) today, and I love the jungle cutter. What do you think of it? I reckon you should find a sneaky way of putting it in, remove a small path of trees perhaps and have it in a "mid-mowing" position, having already made a small path. I think it is rather well to scale though, in a good position I think it would look marvelous.

The small tomb from Jungle Cutter:

I really like this and the new trees. The dark green is very nice.

I really like this too, as you say dark green is very good. Can you please post an overall pic of the whole display so we may help you better plan it? Also, have oyu thought of including further wildlife? I imagine a few giant ants would look great in a line across the jungle.

Thanks for all the constructive feedback (both you BB and Athos (as well as others who have provided their comments)).

That's okay, thanks for sharing TheBrickster, I really enjoy seeing this evolve and become bigger and greater.

Awesome minifig positioning there, I love the way you've included all these sets.

I'm liking the set more the more I see it, those natives look fantastic, why did you take off one's hairpiece though?

Thanks. I just didn't put the hair piece on - never got around to it.

Can you please post an overall pic of the whole display so we may help you better plan it? Also, have oyu thought of including further wildlife? I imagine a few giant ants would look great in a line across the jungle.

005.jpg

This picture isn't too good, but it gives you an idea of the layout now. I'm still working on it though:

0left.jpg

I displayed the giant ants near the dock. Here you go:

ants.jpg

Overall, what I've learned from this display is tabletops are too small, and one can not have enough trees.

Thanks for all the great feedback!

Brickster, your jungle is growing and growing. It suits all Indiana Jones theme sets very well. Guess, you left the 7628, the big airplane which Indiana Jones is captured. Think you will need to build in an air-strip to accomodate it. Maybe, you can place it near the millitary vehicles since the space there is much wider or beside the depot. :blush:

The temple on the river bank is nice. I must agreed that without stickers on the set looks abit much plain. However, the set looks massive in this jungle. Maybe, you can add some greens or trees to cover the plain look and make it a little hidden. :classic:

As a whole :thumbup:

I love the way you build your jungle and evolved it into such a massive scale. I do not have such space to contain such huge sets. There are many things, I can learn from you and improve upon mine. Hope one day, it can be as good as yours. :sweet:

Edited by WhiteFang

Well, for those of you following this Jungle Adventure WIP, I have to say that I finally took down the display yesterday evening. It took approx. three (3) hours to disassemble the 19 sets that made up the diorama, with one remaining, the Temple of the Crystal Skull. I ran out of time and wanted to get the replacement "table-world" started.

What was once a steaming tropical jungle with lush green landscape, crocodiles, and snakes, is now... Grave Stone's Ghost Train. :skull:

Thanks for all the Jungle feedback and the great tips that many of you provided. I was a bit bored with the jungle and parts of it were starting to get rather dusty.

This concludes the Jungle Adventure.

PS. Share your Fantasy Worlds and other Tabletop Kingdoms here.

Well, for those of you following this Jungle Adventure WIP, I have to say that I finally took down the display yesterday evening. It took approx. three (3) hours to disassemble the 19 sets that made up the diorama, with one remaining, the Temple of the Crystal Skull. I ran out of time and wanted to get the replacement "table-world" started.

What was once a steaming tropical jungle with lush green landscape, crocodiles, and snakes, is now... Grave Stone's Ghost Train. :skull:

Thanks for all the Jungle feedback and the great tips that many of you provided. I was a bit bored with the jungle and parts of it were starting to get rather dusty.

This concludes the Jungle Adventure.

It was an unexpected response from you. I thought it will be another great update. Was looking forward to your another great feature. :cry_sad:

Nevertheless, your Jungle Adventure is always remembered. Your jungle is one of my favourite, and gotten most of my inspiration from. Thanks Brickster. I understand the decision behind it. Once again, Brickster. Thanks for sharing! :blush:

I do hope in the near future, you will have another great installment for us.