Sounds great D3k, I hope to use the truck as a base for a tipper or maybe use your hook lift mechanism instead to go with my remote control excavator... Would the chassis be capable of taking a side tip dump bed?

Lol, that is kinda creepy, as this is exactly what I have been pondering today, after dumping the hook lift (pun semi-intended).

The answer is yes, at least if using small LAs or possibly pneumatics to dump.

640x360.jpg

640x360.jpg

640x360.jpg

Lol, that is kinda creepy, as this is exactly what I have been pondering today, after dumping the hook lift (pun semi-intended).

The answer is yes, at least if using small LAs or possibly pneumatics to dump.

You're right it is creepy I had the same thought...and for what I need that is perfect...especially if you can get it to tip three ways like the beds on the unimogs... Also have you thought of using a hinge/push arm mechanism to give the bed further rise?

When will instruction of the hooklift mechanism be aviable?

I'm really sorry about the delay, but here is the LDD file at least, you should be easily able to recreate it from that, combined with the video

I just saw ur hook lift/ dump truck. Do u still have it built, I am looking for a mechanism that is motorized like that. Do you still have it built?

This is what I'm talking about.

Edited by aminnich

Hi amminich!

Like I have mentioned earlier( possibly in another topic), the truck in the video turned out to have a little too much ground clearance to effectively utilize the hook lift mechanism.

Yes, I still have the actual bed and the actual truck built, vut not combined. If you look at the post just before yours (post #204) you will se I linked to an LDD file of the mechanism, that should let you create it for yourself :thumbup:

Edited by D3K

Going away for a couple of weeks, but I wanted to show you a small teaser of what I've been working on for the last couple of days:

Stripped%20teaser%20small.png

Had to take a break from pneumatics :sweet:

Sorry about the grainy render, it is clickable for larger, much clearer resolution.

And there is some order to it all, as demonstrated in this render:

Stripped%20teaser%20small%20coloured.png

Again, clickable and much clearer in higher resolution.. not quite sure why the low res ones are so grainy.. :look:

Anyway, the model, as it stands today (yes, it is built physically to the same extent as the digital model), has eigth motorized functions from one L-motor, through various standard gearboxes. Before it's done, there will be at least four more! :classic:

An educated guess - I say tow truck.

Well you must be very well educated then! :laugh:

Yes of course! I am building a redesign of my older tow truck, completely redesigned to be mechanical rather than pneumatic, but maintaining the same features (albeit, some have been slightly altered due to mechanical complexity and pros vs. cons for pneumatics vs. mechanics :classic:

I'll put it together to take a picture before I go to bed :classic:

EDIT:

I have taken a couple of photos, but I can't seem to get them in the proper size to show in the forum, so I refer you to the dedicated Bricksafe folder

The working functions in the chassis so far are:

-V8 driven from the third axle

-Proportional steering with Ackerman geometry on axles 1, 2 and 3 4

Powered functions:

-Front stabilizers/outriggers

-Mid stabilizers/outriggers

-Rear stabilizers/outriggers

-Winch in the front

-Lifting cabin

-Lifting wheel lift (not sure the terminology is correct? The thing in the back..)

-Extending wheel lift

-Deploying fork

For the rest of the functions, I will try to make a crane superstructure, similar to the one in the pneumatic model, that will feature:

-Full 360 degree rotation

-Lifting boom

-Extending boom

-Working winch

So the goal is a total of 12 elecrtic functions :thumbup:

I haven't made a MOC like this before (one motor, multiple gearboxes/functions), but it's coming on fast. I started this MOC three days ago :classic:

Edited by D3K

That looks amazing. A lot of gears 'n stuff (I love gears) into a relatively small package. :classic::thumbup:

I always really like your mocs. I've already built the Swingloader and the truck (although both dismantled now, because I needed the parts) and this also looks really nice.

Might I ask the usual; any chance for instructions? :blush:

Hello D3k,

Maybe a stupid question, but I am still going to ask it.

Is there a complete instructionfile and partslist for the truck, crane and sidetipper bed?

Like it a lot.

Yep,

It makes me think to a Moc i've seen recently :sweet:

One thing to be attentive to is the fact all gerabox needs to work really smoothly when using a single motor. And you'll need to pass quikly to real pieces to valid that...

The frame structure is really important in such Mocs. You'll need a perfectly independant frame and as rigid as possible.

From my experience, one motor can drive until 6 gearboxes, more becomes really difficult due to friction...

i'll follow this thread...

That looks amazing. A lot of gears 'n stuff (I love gears) into a relatively small package. :classic::thumbup:

I always really like your mocs. I've already built the Swingloader and the truck (although both dismantled now, because I needed the parts) and this also looks really nice.

Might I ask the usual; any chance for instructions? :blush:

Thanks, I'm glad you appreciate the work! :classic:

I can't (as usual) guarantee instructions, but I can guarantee an accurate LDraw model! :thumbup:

Hello D3k,

Maybe a stupid question, but I am still going to ask it.

Is there a complete instructionfile and partslist for the truck, crane and sidetipper bed?

Like it a lot.

There aren't stupid questions, only stupid people! :laugh: Just kidding of course. I haven't made the instructions for the side tipping bed unfortunately :blush: , but it really is a very simple design, and I'm pretty sure you'll be able to replicate it from the pictures of it. The crane is pretty much an exact copy of the one from 8110 Unimog, with an added pneumatic circuit for the boom extending, and slightly modified outriggers to compensate for the height difference between the two models. There is also the operators cabin, but that doesn't provide any functionality.

Thanks, I am glad you like it! :thumbup:

Yep,

It makes me think to a Moc i've seen recently :sweet:

One thing to be attentive to is the fact all gerabox needs to work really smoothly when using a single motor. And you'll need to pass quikly to real pieces to valid that...

The frame structure is really important in such Mocs. You'll need a perfectly independant frame and as rigid as possible.

From my experience, one motor can drive until 6 gearboxes, more becomes really difficult due to friction...

i'll follow this thread...

Haha, there are definitely some similarities between this and your truck. but obviously at different scales :classic: The extra size of this one allows for some more features and detailing, but at the same time depends heavily on the structural build, as it is turning out to be very heavy!

All the functions in the chassis are working as intended, it is built physically and tested up till this point. I built the front two axles first, along with the first four function gearbox and the functions it controls. Then I built the rear two axles with their functions and a second four function gearbox. Then I started to fine tune the two, making some small and some heavy modifications. Especially the mid outriggers were unnecessarily complicated before I saw that I had an (so far) unused output from the front gearbox, that alligned perfectly with where I needed it to go :blush:

For the superstructure, It needs to sit fairly low and at the same time be compact. I suspect that in order to have it low enough I will have to put two gearboxes inside of it, and only have a single vertical axle going through the turntable.. This will be the next challenge! :thumbup:

Hello again!

Been a lovely summer, the few days that have had good weather, I have spent camping in misc mountains, and the bad-weather days have among other things been spent building and designing. Have made quite a few MOCs as of lately, most of which I have already shown (Swingloader IV, White Excavator, and the Midi-Scale Crane Truck), and there was even a very nice contest! :thumbup:

The last couple of nights I have been working more on my revised Recovery Truck, and am in the process of putting the finishing touches on it (cab interior, some exterior details, etc). Most importantly, I have successfully made the crane as I intended, and all the functions are working smoothly (to recap, it has now a total of twelve (12) motorized functions, all driven from one PF L-motor.

I'll show a couple of quick renders of the internals here, and hopefully the actual model will be finished over the weekend! :classic:

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

All pics clickable for higher resolution :thumbup:

Made some design improvements to the cabin for my poimt of view:

d1e419435449924.jpg

089ff2435449941.jpg

d63de2435449953.jpg

To the kitchen plz

46ccb5435450207.jpg

Edited by Aleh

Did you ever publish instructions for this recovery truck or LDraw file? If you have please let me know where to get it...thanks a lot!

Nice picture with the cat in the truck. I have built this dumptruck, but won't be able to make pics like that because our cat doesn't fit ;)

Hi guys! It's been a long time since my last post, and even longer since I actually built something new! :blush:

I still frequent the forums to keep up-to-date on what the guys and gals here are up to, but I can't say I've contributed much this year...

I have been busy with work and new hobbies (Enduro biking, mostly), and haven't really felt the urge to build - which kind of annoys me! I want to make something!

I also want to finish the CAD file/instructions for the Tow Truck, but I sat down on my computer, destroying its screen... bummer :sceptic:

I do still have it assembled, solely as an inspiration to finish the CAD file, but so far it hasn't panned out unfortunately..

I'm sorry I can't give you an estimate at this point as to when/if the instructions will be completed...

You can also sent the (complete) CAD file to me, I'll gladly transform it into building instructions :classic:

At least, if the model works without any problems. You've never showed a physical version (right). I don't want to 'waste' my time on instructions for a model that doesn't work (properly) :wink:

You can also sent the (complete) CAD file to me, I'll gladly transform it into building instructions :classic:

At least, if the model works without any problems. You've never showed a physical version (right). I don't want to 'waste' my time on instructions for a model that doesn't work (properly) :wink:

Hi! I'll keep that in mind for when the file is eventually finished! Thanks! :wink:

Yeah, the model was finished in physical form, and worked as intended:

The topic can be found here

D3K, your tow truck is what inspired me to try my own hand at MOCing. I had started out wanting to use a dedicated motor for each function on my own tow truck but then I came across your masterpiece and realised how challenging - and fun! - it can be to design an effective and efficient geartrain. So thank you for sharing your work :wub:

Hi! I'll keep that in mind for when the file is eventually finished! Thanks! :wink:

Yeah, the model was finished in physical form, and worked as intended:

The topic can be found here

Oh, yeah! Now I remember! :laugh: