Sign in to follow this  
Lasse D

4893 Creator Revin Riders review

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

Since this set appears to be discontinued in the near future, I just want to add a review before it goes away.

To be honest I only bought this set because of the two model team wheels... actually, I bought 2 because the sales lady made a mistake and I didn't want to wait.

It is a pretty new set being released in 2006. With 360 pieces it does seem like quite a bargain, but the pieces are mostly pretty small and we have seen better in other Creator sets.

The box

The two main models (that can be built at the same time) on the front and all models with instructions on the back.

1box_front.jpg

1box_rear.jpg

What's inside

360, 5 polybags, 4 wheels, a sound bick with motorcycle sound and two instruction booklets.

1everything_inside.jpg

The instructions

The set has building instructions for 8 models. In addition to these 8 there are a lot of ideas for alternative "revin riders" including a snow scooter. It is actually hard to come up with an alternate model that isn't already in the instructions!

The instruction booklets start with a page of the content. The second book has ideas right after this index

instructions1.jpg

instructions2.jpg

And in the end

instructions3.jpg

instructions4.jpg

The models from the first instructions booklet

Model 1 (quick build 1)

Building time: 6:30

This is a small bike which is built very quickly. It has sound, but I think the wheels are a bit too wide for this model

model1.jpg

Model 2 (quick build 2)

Building time: 10:00

This is a really nice little scooter, one of them you see all the time in the big cities.

model2.jpg

Model 3 (experienced build 1)

Building time: 12:15

This trike has sound that is activated when you mode the exhaust pipes together with the suspension. I really like the look the construction of this model.

model3.jpg

Model 4 (experienced build 2)

Building time: 9:00

This dirt racer is one of the main models and together with the other main model these two use most of the bricks in the set. There is a stick for balancing, but apart from that I don't find much interesting in this model.

model46.jpg

Model 5 (experienced build 3)

Building time: 9:00

Custom bite with sound and a lot of crome details.

model5.jpg

model5_rear.jpg

The models from the second instructions booklet

Model 6 (advanced build 1)

Building time: 11:33

This is the second main model and it is a lot more substantial than the dirt bike and has the sound brick which activates when you press down (just like the other models).

model46side.jpg

Model 7 (advanced build 2)

Building time: 14:00

A motorcycle with a side carriage much like the secondary model of 8281 Technic mini tractor.

model7.jpg

model7_side.jpg

Model 8 (advanced build 3)

Building time: 14:30

This quad bike is my favorite model of the set. It has the sound brick and the steering works as well. The color scheme could have been better, but I don't think I could have done it better with the parts in the set.

model8.jpg

model8_rear.jpg

model8_side.jpg

Conclusion

With an MSRP of $20 (for USA. It is a little more than 200kr. in Denmark) it isn't the best bargain for parts, but this set excels in variety of models. You can keep building models for hours by just following the instructions and ideas from the instruction booklets alone! The parts are relatively small, but they are also excellent for MOC'ing. Overall I would give this set a grade of 7/10. I think the set is very underrated. It doesn't look of much, doesn't give you much bang for the buck, but WOW does shine when it comes to building experience!

... and did I mention it has two Model Team wheels?

Edited by WhiteFang
Indexed

Excellent review !!!

Gives a perfect overview of this set.

And those pictures are great (very clear).

However, I don't think I'll buy this one...

I agree with the above, although I do collect models. I don't think I need a motorcycle. Good review with nice clear pics.

(...)

However, I don't think I'll buy this one...

(...) no buy. :-( ;-)
(...) I don't think I need a motorcycle.

I'm glad you like the review, but it is a shame there is pretty much no one who wants this set.

What can I do about this? Let the brainstorming begin! (The one who talks in this color is me, and the one in this color will be me)

"What about building an alternate model to spice this set up a bit?"

"Excellent idea! The set is called "Revin Riders", so it should be some kind of revin... rider."

"OK. What about a future bike, like one of those from Akira?"

"LEGO already did it. See the idea on page 3 of the second instructions booklet."

"Oh. I see there is a dragster bike on that page as well."

"Then what about a snow scooter?"

"See page 67..."

"Do'h! Then what about a pocket bike?"

"Same page, just above the snow scooter? Did you even look? Before you ask. There's a sports bike and a trike with trailer on that page as well."

"Sorry. Then what about something crazy. Like a bike with two rear wheels?"

"Page 70."

"I see. LEGO did pretty much make all kinds of revin riders for this set already, didn't they? Well. I know one which they didn't think about: A tropical bird!"

"A what?"

"A tropical bird:"

tropical2ne2.jpg

"And how exactly is a bird a rev... A tropical bird!"

"Push the head (like a light up minifig) and it flaps the wings while roaring like a revin... bird."

tropical_flapping.jpg_thumb.jpg tropical_pose.jpg_thumb.jpg tropical_rear_right.jpg_thumb.jpg tropical_rest.jpg_thumb.jpg tropical_zexam.jpg_thumb.jpg

"Don't you want this set now?"

(The Brickshelf gallery)

What a brilliant bird!! *y*

Did you know that there are indeed some birds existing in this world that make motorcycle noizes?

This looks like a fun set, I however, do not really like motorcycles and buying this set just to make a tropical bird.... well maybe, maybe I'll buy it for that maybe...

:-D

Thanks simonwillems.

A maybe from one person is better that nothing. I hereby declare my mission a success! X-D

I didn't know about birds making such noise. I would have thought the sound brick from the Creator Dino set would appear more realistic.

I didn't know about birds making such noise. I would have thought the sound brick from the Creator Dino set would appear more realistic.

I was actually joking... but I do know of birds that can imitate some sounds, a parrot for instance.

I don't quite understand why someone would need a brick that makes motorcycle-sounds, part of the fun when playing with a set like this one, for children, is to make some noizes theirselves, I think. But hey: who am I?

I promiss you, when this set is on sale somewhere I'll buy it!

Thank you for that very good review, LasseD! *y*

A very fine Creator set, with many smart bikes, the first model even reminds me of the

beautiful classic Honda CX500.... and chrome parts.... a lot of building fun indeed! *wub*

I was actually joking... but I do know of birds that can imitate some sounds, a parrot for instance.

I don't quite understand why someone would need a brick that makes motorcycle-sounds, part of the fun when playing with a set like this one, for children, is to make some noizes theirselves, I think. But hey: who am I?

I promiss you, when this set is on sale somewhere I'll buy it!

You might be joking, but I once heard a motor bike sounding like a woodpecker, so there really is some trouth to it :-P

I agree with you regarding the sound bricks, but it does make a fun challenge to find alternative ways to use them (such as making it the noise of a bird). It is the same with the sound of the NXT which can be quite useful.

And thanks Asuka. It feels almost wrong to build an alternate model without using any of the chrome parts or wheels. I wonder if I should use those parts for something else... X-D

Sad to say, I agree with the others; I considered buying this set several times but there always were more appealing sets around. It isn't in any of my local stores now. If it included actual motorcycle wheels I would have found it more appealing. A very good review though! Your bird is extreamely cool. *wub* Would a picture of that on the box have made me buy it? Not sure.. 8-| On sale probably, but it never went on sale for me...