The Kid

Doctor Who, Torchwood, Sarah Jane Adventures...

100% agree! Love it, Pertwee's my favourite doctor, it's great to see Dr Who going back to it's roots. Wonder what his Sonic will be like, maybe, like his costume, the current Matt Smith desktop theme, and the overall direction of the show now, more classical, streamlined perhaps.

Two have made it to 10 000 supporters, hope they make it! Also does anyone know when the next series starts?

Sometime in autumn is all we know so far.

Sorry for the bump, but The BBC have released a press release confirming that series 8 premieres on Saturday 23 August 2014.

Press release:

The BBC has today confirmed the much-anticipated eighth series of the hit sci-fi drama Doctor Who will land on BBC One on Saturday 23 August, 2014.

The feature-length premiere episode entitled “Deep Breath” will see Peter Capaldi take on one of TV’s most iconic roles as the Twelfth Doctor, alongside Jenna Coleman as his companion Clara.

The BBC also released a teaser trailer for the episode:

They also released a promo image, but it looks incredibly ugly:

doctor-who-series-8-capaldi-coleman-landscape.jpg

:sick:

So Doctor Who finally came back tonight. I have strongly mixed feelings over the first episode.

Lots of what I have to say will probably get better as the season goes on. My biggest issue is that they really weren't able to define exactly who our New Doctor is. Parts of it he seems silly (the whole first half, though that's due to the regeneration), where at others he seems like a badass (the whole confrontation with the auton towards the end), but at others he seems like a buzz kill (the very end). It could be a mix of the three, but still I'd really like to see more of a concrete example of what he is.

Also, there was the whole ending with "heaven" that bothered me. Once again, it seems that Moffat is working too hard to start the season long arc. And another ex of the Doctor? :sceptic: It seems really forced right now, and I hope that it isn't this blatantly obvious for the rest of the season.

There were things I liked. As always the Victorian Three were entertaining (and Strax has to be one of my favorite characters on the show). Matt Smith's cameo at the end (In my humble opinion) fit. He's really the only reason Clara has for sticking around with Capaldi. As long as this isn't a frequent thing, I'll have no problem with it. I also like that they're at least acknowledging what happened in the Tenant era, seeing as they ignored it all during Smith's era. I'd love to see Captain Jack come back or something along those lines. Something that isn't a subtle reference to Season's 2-4.

It definitely had its flaws, but overall Deep Breath was a pretty good episode. :thumbup:

A terrible start to a new season.

-Oh look! They're lesbians! Keep reminding us that the show is edgy! So edgy!

-The worst fight scene ever. At times I swear Moffat (or whatever) just told them to look at the screen as stupid as they can.

-Drax is just too one note at this point. I liked him but he's just doing the same thing over and over and over and much of it wasn't funny.

-WHY WAS THE DINOSAUR SO BIG!? What? That wasn't a dinosaur it was GODZILLA... I feel like Moffat, as usual, was just trying to think up something that "looks cool" rather than have anything make any shred of sense. It's like the freakin' Statue of Liberty being a weeping Angel... "THIS LOOKS COOL BUT IS STUPID SO LETS DO IT!"

-The dino lady talks about acceptance and being judged and stuff. A decent enough moral lesson. But for some reason it's okay to call men Monkeys... Yeaaah...

-Less 2 of the episode: It's okay to be old! What? Was that in question?

-Hold your breathe and they'll forget you're not one of them. That's a pretty big design flaw. Why didn't Clara while running around those corners take a second to breathe? Why didn't they when fighting just take a breath, hold it, move away, then take another breath? You can hold your breathe more than once! WAT?

Moffat is the master of hooks. He'll hook you with a mystery like "Doctor Who" and absolutely always fail to deliver anything. The Doctor potentially killing the d00d will probably never be answered. He's hooked you. Now he's free to dangle you around while actually answering no questions all the while making a story that doesn't make sense.

I mean the Doctor also kills all the time. His "No Murdering" rule is broken all the time in RECENT history too. Didn't he kill a lot in the freakin' last episode?

I'm just incredibly sick of Moffat as a writer. In my opinion the show has gone downhill with him. He's a lot of thunderous promises with absolutely no payoff. Every one of his mysterious have the biggest most obvious plot holes (Timey Whimey isn't a good reason to have these) and no answers. He sucks as a writer. He thinks up the most cool stuff he can think of then just throws them in "just because". That dinosaur was ridiculous and added nothing.

I feel like Kevin Smith is talking about Moffat here.

It's not just breath that would give you away as alive, what about body heat? That might have given Vastra something to do, hold her breath and kill the droids. Also Strax has a laser gun, it must be the crapest laser gun ever, I could have taken out all those droids with a laser gun, is he defective?

It's not just breath that would give you away as alive, what about body heat? That might have given Vastra something to do, hold her breath and kill the droids. Also Strax has a laser gun, it must be the crapest laser gun ever, I could have taken out all those droids with a laser gun, is he defective?

Stax is defective but the main problem is Moffat is defective at writing.

A terrible start to a new season.

-Oh look! They're lesbians! Keep reminding us that the show is edgy! So edgy!

-The worst fight scene ever. At times I swear Moffat (or whatever) just told them to look at the screen as stupid as they can.

-Drax is just too one note at this point. I liked him but he's just doing the same thing over and over and over and much of it wasn't funny.

-WHY WAS THE DINOSAUR SO BIG!? What? That wasn't a dinosaur it was GODZILLA... I feel like Moffat, as usual, was just trying to think up something that "looks cool" rather than have anything make any shred of sense. It's like the freakin' Statue of Liberty being a weeping Angel... "THIS LOOKS COOL BUT IS STUPID SO LETS DO IT!"

-The dino lady talks about acceptance and being judged and stuff. A decent enough moral lesson. But for some reason it's okay to call men Monkeys... Yeaaah...

-Less 2 of the episode: It's okay to be old! What? Was that in question?

-Hold your breathe and they'll forget you're not one of them. That's a pretty big design flaw. Why didn't Clara while running around those corners take a second to breathe? Why didn't they when fighting just take a breath, hold it, move away, then take another breath? You can hold your breathe more than once! WAT?

Moffat is the master of hooks. He'll hook you with a mystery like "Doctor Who" and absolutely always fail to deliver anything. The Doctor potentially killing the d00d will probably never be answered. He's hooked you. Now he's free to dangle you around while actually answering no questions all the while making a story that doesn't make sense.

I mean the Doctor also kills all the time. His "No Murdering" rule is broken all the time in RECENT history too. Didn't he kill a lot in the freakin' last episode?

I'm just incredibly sick of Moffat as a writer. In my opinion the show has gone downhill with him. He's a lot of thunderous promises with absolutely no payoff. Every one of his mysterious have the biggest most obvious plot holes (Timey Whimey isn't a good reason to have these) and no answers. He sucks as a writer. He thinks up the most cool stuff he can think of then just throws them in "just because". That dinosaur was ridiculous and added nothing.

I feel like Kevin Smith is talking about Moffat here.

This.

Mr. Moffat just can't run the series. Looks like I'm waiting until they get a new writer and actor. Too bad it's going to be a while due to his insane popularity in North America. :ugh:

Stax is defective but the main problem is Moffat is defective at writing.

:thumbup:

How did everyone find today's episode? I found it to be a rather interesting and thrilling. The spiders, choice of the destruction of the moon and the Doctor Abandoning Clara all added to the suspense of the episode.

This episode also connected slightly to the time war. Destroying a life to save billions.

Edited by Tariq j

It was a good episode, slightly let down by 2 things. 1) The second Moon, the creature (that I think is a star whale) would have to have the same properties as the first (mass etc.) so where did it come from. 2) The TARDIS can tow planets, why not just move the Moon into orbit of Jupiter until it hatches and then tow Io, or Triton into orbit.

How did everyone find today's episode? I found it to be a rather interesting and thrilling. The spiders, choice of the destruction of the moon and the Doctor Abandoning Clara all added to the suspense of the episode.

This episode also connected slightly to the time war. Destroying a life to save billions.

I loved it! What a great episode! I haven't been disappointed with a single episode other than "Deep Breath" this whole season!

Next weeks episode seems promising!

Yep, I like mystery stories. Apparantly, Clara will not feature as the main companion in this episode. It will be interesting to see how that turns out.

Apparantly, Clara will not feature as the main companion in this episode. It will be interesting to see how that turns out.

Agreed, it will be nice to see 12 interacting with people he doesn't know for an episode.

After what she was like in the previous episode I hope not.

I'm really liking this season! The one episode that I felt was the worst is actually the Robots in Sherwood one

At first I thought I didn't like Capaldi as the Doctor, but over time I've come to realize it isn't him--it's Clara. Maybe she's been this way since the beginning of her full-time run with Matt Smith, but all this season Clara has done nothing other than be incredibly selfish, to the point where I'm anticipating the character's ultimate departure. Worse, she seems to be rubbing off on Pink, who I initially liked. :sceptic:

It's the same thing that put me off of Rose, actually--she was incredibly self-absorbed as well. Clara's behavior is worse, though, considering that both times we saw her prior to meeting Smith, she showed herself to be both tenacious and selfless; in Asylum of the Daleks she courageously sacrificed herself to save the Doctor, Amy, and Rory, while in her first Christmas special she showed herself to be incredibly caring towards the children she was responsible for--she earned those children's tears at her death. Heck, she allowed herself to be torn apart and scattered across space and time in order to save the Doctor and the universe--you don't get much more selfless than that. This season, we've seen her be compassionate and selfless towards exactly one person: young Danny Pink. Since then, nada, along with being incredibly entitled about traveling through space and time--not everyone gets to do that, you know. Pretty much every other companion in the new series has pretty quickly figured out that the inconvenience/disruption to social life comes with the territory when you're a companion of the Doctor--and the worst part is, Clara should know this already from her time with Smith's Doctor. :sceptic:

Like I said, glad she's not in the next episode, and looking forward to a change of heart or a change of companion--or both. There doesn't seem to be much to explore with her, anyway--time to bring in a companion that's interesting again. (Maybe bring back Jack Harkness for a bit? :sweet: )