I think you might find that you may need to add a brace to the slew gear,it looks a bit week at the moment.

If you mean the 6536.jpg with the 12 tooth single and double bevel gears, that are driving the actual turntable, it is attached with an 8L axle with stop going through a lot of axle holes, so that shouldn't be a problem :wink:

Apart from the [MINI] contest and finishing Madoca's Supercar GT/R/EVO/whatever, I have also made some progress on my large pneumatic arm.

Note: This is going to be a prototype pneumatic demolition excavator, therefore the aesthetics have not played much of a role while designing this. It is more of a proof of concept, to get geometries, mechanics, weight impression, bracing, connections, and pneumatic tubing length, etc, right for the eventual Mk II version, which will hopefully look a lot better :blush:

The boom geometry is loosely based on the Hitachi ZAXIS 1000K-3 (?) demolition excavator, with the short boom

Click the pictures to see them in full resolution, or visit the bricksafe WIP folder

640x360.jpg

640x360.jpg

640x360.jpg

I showed the pneumatic claw/shears earlier, but I have made a rotatable and tiltable shovel as well, as a drop in replacement, which utilizes the same pneumatic circuit and rotating axle/PTO as the shears. I also made a mechanical hammer, that is not finished yet. So no pictures of that I'm afraid. It uses only the axle rotation to drive the hammer.

640x480.jpg

640x480.jpg

In the last picture you can barely see that I moved the worm drive from the arm, and onto the bucket assembly. This practically eliminates all deflection in the gears from manipulating the bucket (not the sideways tilting, but the main "digging" motion), and gives it less play. Before I did this, the bucket would rotate more than 45 degrees as it was being manipulated.. if that makes any sense :blush:

Lastly, I have a picture of all the pneumatic tubing going down the innermost part of the boom:

640x480.jpg

This shows the control tubes for all the functions except the main boom lift cylinders, which will join the others before going to the superstructure.

The axle for the PTO is going through each joint of the arm via free-spinning 20 tooth single bevel gears.

Now I just have to build a superstructure. :sweet:

The plan has never been to make this fully RC, as pneumatic + RC = crap, and concidering the weight of this, I want to have some finger tip accuracy when handling the valves. I will however have a compressor, as well as a motor for the axle of course. Each of these will be powered by their own dedicated battery box, to act as counterweights in the rear of the superstructure (I think it will be needed).

Thoughts and suggestions for improvements are as always welcome :wink:

Again; this is just a prototype/proof of concept, not meant to win any best-looking-excavator-of-the-year-awards :thumbup:

Ah, I like the turning mechanism on the bucket, looks just like the real thing :sweet:

Ah, I like the turning mechanism on the bucket, looks just like the real thing :sweet:

Thanks, it works quite well! I'm not sure if it's normal to have the turntable before the hydraulic rams for tiltin, or after, like in my model :classic:

WIP:

640x342.jpg

Features:

-Drive: 2x PF-XL

-Steering: PF-Servo

-Tipping bed: PF-M, two LA's

-Dual rear axle drive, with lockable centre diff

-Independent double wishbone suspension on front axle

-Live axles rear suspension

-Openable doors

-PF-LED front and back

-Tiltable cabin

-V6 fake engine

The chassis is based on the one I used for the 8x4 recovery truck

Higher resolution image and some WIP images here

Still to do:

-Add interior

-Figure out some details

-Try to fit an L-motor instead of an M-motor

-Maybe motorize cabin tilt feature

That looks rather cute, cab looks arther big though. Lots of functions, you are using a normal battery box?

Thanks, yeah, when I designed the roof, I realized it might be a bit tall.. :blush: Will see what can be done, and if it looks as big in real life.. :classic:

And yeah, standard batterybox:

640x342.jpg

Not with this setup, these kind of trucks usually don't have rear axle steering, but rather the ability to lift it. This is to avoid unwanted wear on the tyres when driving with no load. I know some trucks have a steered rear axle, but never together with dual wheels, I think :blush:

Not with this setup, these kind of trucks usually don't have rear axle steering, but rather the ability to lift it. This is to avoid unwanted wear on the tyres when driving with no load. I know some trucks have a steered rear axle, but never together with dual wheels, I think :blush:

Actually, it does exist, take a look at the truck in the following (Dutch) article:

http://www.bouwmachines.nl/public/bma-2011-06-48.pdf

Actually, it does exist, take a look at the truck in the following (Dutch) article:

http://www.bouwmachi...-2011-06-48.pdf

Thanks! Never seen it before, sure is an interesting design! :thumbup: A little bit tempted to try and implement it, but I think I'll leave it be for now, as the rear is pretty packed already :sweet:

EDIT: Curse you! Now I have to do it! :laugh: Seeing as I don't speak Dutch, and I'm not about to googletranslate the entire .pdf manually, did you catch what kind of suspension the rear axle uses? :classic:

Edited by D3K

The text is a bit vague, but as far as I can tell, the truck uses leaf-springs on the rear axles.

Excavator is unfortunately on indefinite hold...

640x321.jpg

This is the front axle assembly of my newest project, that I've been tinkering with on and off for about a month now. As you might guess from the picture, I hope to make full instructions for this one :wink:

More to follow soon

I need a driven, steered live axle, with a low profile, and this is the result (after a lot if trial and error).. But it probably makes more sense when you see it together with the rest of the model:-)

Saw this teaser, are you going to finish it??

In post #143 there is a pic of the undercarridge for a wheeled excavator.

Is there any chance you are going to finish that?

Or is it finished already?

Saw this teaser, are you going to finish it??

In post #143 there is a pic of the undercarridge for a wheeled excavator.

Is there any chance you are going to finish that?

Or is it finished already?

The wheeled excavator has been dismantled long ago, didn't get much farther than what you see in the LDD picture you mentioned. Maybe I'll give it another shot in the future! :sweet:

As for the current project, here are some pictures (clickable for large resolution):

640x360.jpg

Early version (yesterday) of the front axle and misc. Here I was going to use a PF-Servo for steering, but it created to much slack and backlash. I rather opted for a PF-M motor wormdriving the steering axle.

640x360.jpg

Here is what it looks like standing on my desk tonight. First of two rear axles added. The M-motor on top is for locking the central diff between front axle and rear axles.

640x360.jpg

Here you can see the front live axle assembly I showed you yesterday, and also why it had to be so low. I wanted the V8 as low as possible, so I couldn't have a too high profile on the front axle :classic:

The model is going to be yet another truck, with some similarities to my last PF Dump Truck. This will however be 6x6 driven, and be more of an all-terrain/offroad truck. Still haven't decided what to put behind the cab, was concidering something modular :wink:

Edited by D3K

Thanks, it works quite well! I'm not sure if it's normal to have the turntable before the hydraulic rams for tiltin, or after, like in my model :classic:

WIP:

640x342.jpg

Features:

-Drive: 2x PF-XL

-Steering: PF-Servo

-Tipping bed: PF-M, two LA's

-Dual rear axle drive, with lockable centre diff

-Independent double wishbone suspension on front axle

-Live axles rear suspension

-Openable doors

-PF-LED front and back

-Tiltable cabin

-V6 fake engine

The chassis is based on the one I used for the 8x4 recovery truck

Higher resolution image and some WIP images here

Still to do:

-Add interior

-Figure out some details

-Try to fit an L-motor instead of an M-motor

-Maybe motorize cabin tilt feature

@D3k, is this a finished project? If so will you be releasing instructions for it? I've been looking for a tipper like that to go with the Zorex 220 excavator that Jurgen Krooshoop designed and I think that would be an excellent match. I had also considered Hans 8x4 tipper but I think yours would be more appropriate.

Regards

@D3k, is this a finished project? If so will you be releasing instructions for it? I've been looking for a tipper like that to go with the Zorex 220 excavator that Jurgen Krooshoop designed and I think that would be an excellent match. I had also considered Hans 8x4 tipper but I think yours would be more appropriate.

Regards

Hi!

Yes, the dump truck I actually finished, it ended up looking like this:

640x328.jpg

There is a separate topic here, where you can find additional photos and information. :thumbup: I also have a bricksafe folder with some WIP photos of it.

I didn't make full isntructions for it, but I have the finished model in LDD, that you can download by clicking here. It should be fully buildable from that file, however I suggest you start with the front axle and make your way from there, if you decide to build it. Feel free to PM me any questions you may have regarding the build :classic:

I like this kind of MOCs without room for work :thumbup: .

Building dense is well and good, until you decide you should have some additional features! :laugh:

Thanks @D3K il look into it. . Can I get LDD to give me a parts list of the pieces used in it? I don't have much experience with LDD to be honest

You can use File/Export BOM to get a parts list in LDD, or you can check out Rebrickable for this MOC.. There you can make an account, and add all your sets/parts, and it will tell you which parts you're missing. Building from an LDD file is not ideal, especially if you've never used the software before. Taking that into concideration, you might be better off building Han's 10x4 dump truck as he's made proper instructions, although that one is significantly longer, and of course you'll need to dish out the 10€ for the instructions. That model also uses some rather rare/expensive parts

You can use File/Export BOM to get a parts list in LDD, or you can check out Rebrickable for this MOC.. There you can make an account, and add all your sets/parts, and it will tell you which parts you're missing. Building from an LDD file is not ideal, especially if you've never used the software before. Taking that into concideration, you might be better off building Han's 10x4 dump truck as he's made proper instructions, although that one is significantly longer, and of course you'll need to dish out the 10€ for the instructions. That model also uses some rather rare/expensive parts

Thanks D3K il look into and see how I get on. I think your one is more appropriate for my excavator and my pieces/funds supply

This is the state of the MLcad modelling and instruction making process as of right now:

640x297.jpg

In the process, I built a V8 in MLcad, which proved to take a lot of time. So if anyone is interested and don't want to spend a lot of time, I have a finished .ldr V8 that you can download here.

Looks like this:

640x297.jpg

Building a V8 in SR3D Builder is quite easy...

But, nevertheless. it's useful to have an engine template, thanks! :thumbup:

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the instructions :classic: