Sign in to follow this  
Joey Lock

The Unicorn!

thindexedgif.gif 2d MLCadd

The Unicorn based off Tintin and the Secret of the unicorn.

Its finished only took me 3 days to complete.

Also thanks to Erroist for the Hull design and Zeeky for inspiring me to make this because of your HMS Repulse *y*

Anywho here she is :

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=271725

I will buy her (though she may be a bit much) also my LDD is in offline mode all the time so i cant check :'-(

Also could you give me feedback on what to improve and what to take away?

Thanks

Captain Joey Lock *sweet*

Edit: The last pic is what I made before but I forgot to save that one so i changed the Golden parts.

Edited by SlyOwl

It seems that the Brickshelf gallery is not yet moderated, so we can't view your ship yet.

Maybe you could post some deeplinks.

It seems that the Brickshelf gallery is not yet moderated, so we can't view your ship yet.

Maybe you could post some deeplinks.

Oh heh.. :-D Sorry again

LDDScreenShot21.png

LDDScreenShot20.png

LDDScreenShot18.png

LDDScreenShot22.png

LDDScreenShot17.png

The ones with the Golden Parts on Deck Slopes where old versions but somehow they look better Hmmm:-/

Thanks Bonaparte

May I first say, before I comment on your MOC, that as a Belgian I feel proud that you've tried and do a ship from one of the adventures of Tintin, those comic books are truly the greatest *wub* *wub*

It's a nice try when you're working with a digital design program (especially for me, since I can't seem to get the hang of either LDD or MLCAD :-| )

I have one suggestion though, why don't you try (unless you think its too late for that) and make the hull a bit wider? It seems awfully narrow for a 34 gun ship. And one more question: Are all the masts in place or are you going to add a third mast?

May I first say, before I comment on your MOC, that as a Belgian I feel proud that you've tried and do a ship from one of the adventures of Tintin, those comic books are truly the greatest *wub* *wub*

It's a nice try when you're working with a digital design program (especially for me, since I can't seem to get the hang of either LDD or MLCAD :-| )

I have one suggestion though, why don't you try (unless you think its too late for that) and make the hull a bit wider? It seems awfully narrow for a 34 gun ship. And one more question: Are all the masts in place or are you going to add a third mast?

Well i was hoping that if i buy it ill buy a Hull from bricklink but seen as It will most prob be over

I think mabye I should start a new one and make it look more like the Unicorn...sigh

Well the ship seems a little too tall and narrow for its length, but if you are planning to build it on standard hulls, then the limitation makes sense.

We sure have seen a lot of LDD models as of late! It seems to be a nice program because it is easy to work with and you have the option of buying.

Anyhow, other comments on the model:

The stern cabin looks excellent and I commend you for that.

The forecastle (front) seems a little squarish to me. I am not sure what pieces are available on LDD but I might use some wedges or facets to make the ship a little more sleek up front.

The masts seem a little close together. I would recommend moving the fore mast (front mast) further forward.

The custom cannons look pretty good! Perhaps you should give us a close up of just that model!

Finally, though building on the standard hulls sure is easier, just look at the difference between the Arbiter II and the Phantom to see why your own hulls can be much better than the prefabbed ones!

Edited by phred

Well the ship seems a little too tall and narrow for its length, but if you are planning to build it on standard hulls, then the limitation makes sense.

We sure have seen a lot of LDD models as of late! It seems to be a nice program because it is easy to work with and you have the option of buying.

Anyhow, other comments on the model:

The stern cabin looks excellent and I commend you for that.

The forecastle (front) seems a little squarish to me. I am not sure what pieces are available on LDD but I might use some wedges or facets to make the ship a little more sleek up front.

The masts seem a little close together. I would recommend moving the fore mast (front mast) father forward.

The custom cannons look pretty good! Perhaps you should give us a close up of just that model!

Finally, though building on the standard hulls sure is easier, just look at the difference between the Arbiter II and the Phantom to see why your own hulls can be much better than the prefabbed ones!

But im not really a good ship builder so i havent got the bricks for the hull even if i did they would be multi coloured... :'-( Sigh i guess ill never get a lego pirate ship...Ill just have sink to mega bloks level...

I think mabye I should start a new one and make it look more like the Unicorn...sigh

So you are basing this ship on this ship?:

ywysail.jpg

Your ship is a nice start but I must say it doesn't look like the HMS Unicorn at all.. No offence mate!

Mr Tiber

So you are basing this ship on this ship?:

ywysail.jpg

Your ship is a nice start but I must say it doesn't look like the HMS Unicorn at all.. No offence mate!

Mr Tiber

No i was basing the Name off the ship in Tintin not HMS Unicorn.

In Tintin its a French made up ship

I just liked the name so i thought id mention where it came from

Wait, he means this ship I think, don't you? It's truly an original idea though, I wouldn't have come up with it myself. :-P Upon reading it I always felt it was a beautiful ship, unlike the pirate it meets in the album, you could so easily see that the pirate ship was quickly drawn without attention to detail or anything else for that matter. :-P

I couldn't get a better pic of the internet but since I have the album right here, I guess I could scan it, though I'm not sure on how I could get a good image from a comic book, I can't get it under the scanner properly.

post-1837-1187273993.jpg

Edited by Hairy Ruben

Ah I see, sorry! But I believe I have to thank you. I like the HMS Unicorn, perhaps I'll build it someday...

Upon reading it I always felt it was a beautiful ship,

The ship on that picture does look quite beautiful doesn't it! :-P

Mr Tiber

So in the end it turned out that theres to much to improve so how can I make a better one because I dont like auctioning on Ebay and Bricklink so is there any others where i could actually jsut buy it for a fixed amount? Or have my dreams of owning a Fine Ship perished. 8-(

So in the end it turned out that theres to much to improve so how can I make a better one because I dont like auctioning on Ebay and Bricklink so is there any others where i could actually jsut buy it for a fixed amount? Or have my dreams of owning a Fine Ship perished. 8-(

I don't really get your question, could you perhaps clarify? :-$

Edited by Hairy Ruben

I say you should make it a bit taller. And increasing the distance between the guns to four studs instead of 2 studs would also improve the general look of the ship allot.

The cabin could use some detail. Try adding fences.

And I think this is very important: make the bow more round. It is very blocky at the moment.

Oh, and if you want to reduce the price, you should delete that rock formation and the minifigs. ;-)

Hope that helps.

Mr Tiber

Edited by Mr Tiber

I don't know how many minifigs you made and put on your model but on LDD they cost

If you want to build Tintin's Unicorn you need this book:

The Making of Tintin, Methuen young books, 1983, ISBN: 041629300X (or "new" ISBN-13: 978-0416293005)

51AEVC08YQL._AA240_.jpg

The book contains the complete stories 'Secret of the Unicorn" and "Red Rackham's Treasure" as well as a bunch of other goodies including detailed diagrams of the Unicorn.

My library has a copy and if yours does not you should ask for an Inter-Library Loan request (or I could just get off my butt and scan the diagrams which I have been meaning to do for a while :-$ )

If you want to build Tintin's Unicorn you need this book:

The Making of Tintin, Methuen young books, 1983, ISBN: 041629300X (or "new" ISBN-13: 978-0416293005)

51AEVC08YQL._AA240_.jpg

The book contains the complete stories 'Secret of the Unicorn" and "Red Rackham's Treasure" as well as a bunch of other goodies including detailed diagrams of the Unicorn.

My library has a copy and if yours does not you should ask for an Inter-Library Loan request (or I could just get off my butt and scan the diagrams which I have been meaning to do for a while :-$ )

Ive got the whole complete cartoon series of Tintin I got it as a gift so I can pause it and copy.

But thanks for the refrence matey *sweet*

Ive got the whole complete cartoon series of Tintin I got it as a gift so I can pause it and copy.

But thanks for the refrence matey *sweet*

OK, but what you have does not, I think, include these:

Unicorn Plan (part one)

Unicorn Plan (part two)

As well there are photographs of different attempts to make models of the ship in two different scales and more paintings and drawings.

That's too bad, I get a 403 if I click that link... :'-(

WTF?!?!

I get the same thing but if I type in the URL it comes up fine? Something loopy going on but darned if I know what it is? :-/