Sign in to follow this  
pcvando

REVIEW: 6285 Black Sea's Barracuda

[pid][/pid]

Hello! Today I bring you the Lego Pirates 6285 Black Sea's Barracuda Review!

Name: Black Sea's Barracuda

Set number: 6285

Pieces: 865

Year: 1989 (Then re-released in 2002 for the "Legends" set collection number 10040)

Mini-figures: 7 (Including Red Beard and a Female Pirate)

The box is surprisingly large, even though the set has only 865 pieces. The box uses the original pirates yellow "LegoLand" borders. (I miss those boxes!)

The box is very sturdy, it is made from several thick cardboard layers.

I have included a Bluecoat mini-figure to compare the size, and give you a good feel for the width and height.

12485843414_f1ecc2b831_n.jpg

The inside of the box features plastic inner trays, to display the mini figures, parts, and the hull of the ship.

The trays hold the mini figures tightly and prevent them from falling out when the box is sealed.

12485513263_127e649716.jpg

The first thing that caught my eye when I first opened the box was a yellow printed standard size piece of paper, and a cardboard game board.

The piece of paper has some nice visuals, and instructions for playing a game with some friends, and the lego pieces and mini figures in the set.

12485340115_c8cffca33a.jpg

The game board is made of cardboard, and can easily be destroyed or damaged, so I imagine that this is a very rare item indeed.

It is very visually appealing, as it contains hand drawn images of every lego set in the first wave release.

12485488043_a2da96224a.jpg

The point of the game is to reach the finish line first, using your mini figures. The game requires a dice, but does not come with one :/

Different numbers that appear on the dice give different weather effects, such as "Fair Wind" or "Gale" and other natural effects such as "Hit a Reef" and "Shark Attack" which will effect the way your mini figures progress.

The set has a variety of colours, making the set easier to build when you separate them. However, there are very many black pieces.

The instructions, I assume, would be difficult for a newer builder to follow because of the amount of steps on each page, and the instructions do not clearly identify them.

At least the instructions are not black and white ;)

12485868694_1cbbc926eb.jpg

It took me some time to build it, but the build was enjoyable, seeing all the crevices and storage areas in the lower hull.

Once build, she is a very fine boat… err… I mean Ship!

12490007135_9254f8534a_z.jpg

You also get a good mix of mini figures, including the rare female pirate mini figure. You also get Captain red beard, but he is found in almost every mid-large Pirates set. (and some small ones) You get seven (7) mini figures in total, it is a good amount, it makes the ship feel lively. (However, I think that 9 would have been better).

You also get a standard brown rowboat. (There are never too many rowboats in any lego pirates collection!)

12485888724_63148881dc_z.jpg

The figurehead on the vessel is nice, a bit plain, but gives a "Classic Pirates" feel to the set. The yellow cup is also a nice addition, but a yellow headband may have also been cool to include. It would have made is seem more like a statue.

12485430985_44a2dc3f52.jpg

The ship features many cool details, including opening lower deck doors, and a nice detailed captains cabin, accessible from the top, and rear of the ship. They open to give full access for the best play and display capabilities.

12490142243_36bf7ed564.jpg

12485405025_9b4e1ea391.jpg

12485552083_a43bf96312.jpg

There back of the ship has some nice details, and the yellow brings a very friendly feel to the pirates aboard the vessel.

The deck has so many features that I am sure it will keep any builder happy for a long time.

It also makes for some nice photos. Below you can see some of the crew in action!

12490493844_ba05f80f13.jpg

Overall I am very satisfied with the set.

I believe that it is my favourite pirate ship, but I have yet to get my hands on the Skulls Eye Schooner. (It looks nice)

I hope you like my review, and I hope it gives you some information, or at least some pretty photos to look at ;)

Let me know how you feel about the set, and the fun game that comes with it!

If you would like more photos, just ask!

Could someone please add a poll for me? Maybe a poll from 1-5? I would love to know how people rate this set!

Keep an eye out, I have more reviews coming!

Great review. It's so awesome that you actually had an unopened one!

One thing that does stand out to me with this set, though, is how similar the minifigures are. They're almost identical (although it's interesting that they included a female).

I think there weren't a lot of variations in the pirate minifigures until 1995ish. But it's probably difficult to come up with new ideas for pirate outfits. They can't differ too much without losing the classic pirate feel.

Always my favorite! Does yours have the spring-shooting cannons?

Those were the only kind available when this set was released.

Those were the only kind available when this set was released.

I thought I'd heard somewhere that they eventually swapped them out during the initial run. The Lego Legends re-release doesn't have them pirate_laugh2.gif

Great review! I always wondered what a brand new 1989 set looked like when you opened it, and now I know! The pre-assembled minifigs takes a little bit of fun out of building the set, though. Didn't you say that you have the Caribbean Clipper? Or was that somebody else? Anyway, I can't wait for your review of the Skull's Eye Schoner!

I thought I'd heard somewhere that they eventually swapped them out during the initial run. The Lego Legends re-release doesn't have them pirate_laugh2.gif

I don't think that happened until the next wave. Also, the transition ones had a black piece at the end. They made them that way for quite a while before they introduced the ones with the logo on them.

Great review! I always wondered what a brand new 1989 set looked like when you opened it, and now I know! The pre-assembled minifigs takes a little bit of fun out of building the set, though. Didn't you say that you have the Caribbean Clipper? Or was that somebody else? Anyway, I can't wait for your review of the Skull's Eye Schoner!

I have the clipper, I have… well… currently I have a lot. Here is a pic just to show you my unopened boxes… this does not include my opened ones.

I have a feeling that some may get jealous…

In addition to these, I have the Caribbean clipper opened, the imperial flagship v1 and v2 opened, several small sets, Eldorado fortress, Imperial trading post, many sabre islands… And a lot of figs. ;)

If you are wondering how I got these…. they fell off a truck…… Just kidding...a lot of time collecting.

12491888963_a1c5e77a65.jpg

I don't think that happened until the next wave. Also, the transition ones had a black piece at the end. They made them that way for quite a while before they introduced the ones with the logo on them.

Yea… The black transitional handles are a bit weird. They were included when lego had an idea about shooting cannons, but not how to do it. They are quite rare, and don't really work well ;)

Always my favorite! Does yours have the spring-shooting cannons?

It does have the spring ones! They are so cool, and shoot much farther than todays shooting cannons!

I forgot the mention that the mini-figs heads are also not hollow, they don't let air pass through, thats why the new ones have holes through, so if you eat one, you could possibly breathe through it.

(Works in theory)

this is a cool looking set , even compared to todays sets!

You are totally right! It just makes you wonder how epic and amazingly good this would have been back in 1989! It was revolutionary! :)

Edited by pcvando

I have the clipper, I have… well… currently I have a lot. Here is a pic just to show you my unopened boxes… this does not include my opened ones.

I have a feeling that some may get jealous…

In addition to these, I have the Caribbean clipper opened, the imperial flagship v1 and v2 opened, several small sets, Eldorado fortress, Imperial trading post, many sabre islands… And a lot of figs. ;)

If you are wondering how I got these…. they fell off a truck…… Just kidding...a lot of time collecting.

12491888963_a1c5e77a65.jpg

Yea… The black transitional handles are a bit weird. They were included when lego had an idea about shooting cannons, but not how to do it. They are quite rare, and don't really work well ;)

It does have the spring ones! They are so cool, and shoot much farther than todays shooting cannons!

I forgot the mention that the mini-figs heads are also not hollow, they don't let air pass through, thats why the new ones have holes through, so if you eat one, you could possibly breathe through it.

(Works in theory)

You are totally right! It just makes you wonder how epic and amazingly good this would have been back in 1989! It was revolutionary! :)

The first word out of my mouth when I saw that picture was, "aye Corumba!" When are you gonna do the next review, and which one? They all look so good- my favorites are the clipper and giant fort.

Simply WOW!

Thank you so much for that review, well done!

Great collection! You would have been my personal hero during the 90's pirate_laugh2.gif

As for the board game, it didn't come with my set, I never even heard about it before...pirate_hmpfbad.gif Those drawings look so adorable! pirate_wubnew.gif

Keep up the good work, looking forward to the next review.

Regards

Simply WOW!

Thank you so much for that review, well done!

Great collection! You would have been my personal hero during the 90's pirate_laugh2.gif

As for the board game, it didn't come with my set, I never even heard about it before...pirate_hmpfbad.gif Those drawings look so adorable! pirate_wubnew.gif

Keep up the good work, looking forward to the next review.

Regards

Thanks!

I am very confused now, when you told me yours did not come with the board game, I did some research to see if it was a region specific thing, but I can even find anything on it, apart from one that looks similar from an italian promo and was only included in a small amount of sets. pirate_sceptic.gif

I have another sealed sculls eye schooner, and when I carefully examine under the flap, it looks like I can see the same board game beneath the plastic tray, but I don't want to open another BSB to find out if it is for sure. The game is actually quite fun, and gives examples of the game to be played on a larger scale, with big models. pir_laugh2.gif

My only guess is that it is only included in the north american BSB, or it is from a promo BSB.

Thank goodness I seem to have two of them! (one opened one sealed) pirate_laugh_new.gif

+ and if it is as rare as my research suggests, there may be very VERY few examples left in existence!

Edited by pcvando

PCVando, I am very interested in the board game that came with the set! Every time I think I know all there is to know about Classic Pirates, something new turns up. pirate_oh.gif I'm so glad I decided to check out your review, even though I already have this set.. pirate_satisfied.gif Can you please, please, please post a better picture of the board game and especially the instructions? I would really like to be able to read them (and that mustachioed soldier minifigure seems to be one-of-a-kind) and I'd love to be able to make the game board my desktop wallpaper. pirate_laugh2.gif

Amazing find!

TC

Nice review! This set really blew me away the first time I saw it. It was on the cover of the 1989 product catalog, and at first glance I thought it was a Master Builders model or something, then it sank in... A new Pirate Theme! The wait for summer was unbearable (Batman was coming, too) but worth it! I remember staying up all night after work to build it. The selection of new parts in this one set is amazing- I counted at least twenty! I don't think that happens a lot anymore, but I don't collect every theme nowadays. The game included with your set is new to me as well- I agree with others how we are still learning about older sets.

Happy 25th Anniversary, BSB!

PCVando, I am very interested in the board game that came with the set! Every time I think I know all there is to know about Classic Pirates, something new turns up. pirate_oh.gif I'm so glad I decided to check out your review, even though I already have this set.. pirate_satisfied.gif Can you please, please, please post a better picture of the board game and especially the instructions? I would really like to be able to read them (and that mustachioed soldier minifigure seems to be one-of-a-kind) and I'd love to be able to make the game board my desktop wallpaper. pirate_laugh2.gif

Amazing find!

TC

Ok, I will take a better picture of the board game and the instructions. I am very surprised that nobody seems to know much about it! When I first saw it I was very surprised, but even more surprised to see that I have a second one still sealed in my other sealed BSB box. pirate_laugh_new.gif

I was wondering if it came in more than one set perhaps… but this seems unlikely because other sealed "classic" sets I have don't have it. pirate_sceptic.gif

+Maybe the board game deserves a topic on its own…

Nice review! This set really blew me away the first time I saw it. It was on the cover of the 1989 product catalog, and at first glance I thought it was a Master Builders model or something, then it sank in... A new Pirate Theme! The wait for summer was unbearable (Batman was coming, too) but worth it! I remember staying up all night after work to build it. The selection of new parts in this one set is amazing- I counted at least twenty! I don't think that happens a lot anymore, but I don't collect every theme nowadays. The game included with your set is new to me as well- I agree with others how we are still learning about older sets.

Happy 25th Anniversary, BSB!

Happy Anniversary indeed!

Im sure there are even more unsolved pirate mysteries! pirate_laugh2.gif

Edited by pcvando

Oh boy! Oh boy! Oh boy! You are one lucky pirate! I have all sets from 1989, but the - one and only - Black Sea's Barracuda. Even though, it brings up memories from the old boxes. The yellow Legoland borders, the front that could be opened - and the plastic tray containing the special bricks and the minifigs. Those were the times pirate_laugh2.gif

Thank you for the review, Pcvando. It is very nice with interesting pictures. The only thing, I think is missing are some pictures from the building proces - and how you felt building it.

Regarding the cardboard game, it looks so familiar to me. I am not sure, I have got it, but I'm pretty sure I have seen it before. Does anyone know if it was included in some of the other big sets? - If it shows up amongst my things, I will let you know.

Happy Anniversary! Not just the BSB, but the entire LEGO Pirates series. - From the dreams section: LEGO should release an anniversary box or two pir_laugh2.gif

Oh boy! Oh boy! Oh boy! You are one lucky pirate! I have all sets from 1989, but the - one and only - Black Sea's Barracuda. Even though, it brings up memories from the old boxes. The yellow Legoland borders, the front that could be opened - and the plastic tray containing the special bricks and the minifigs. Those were the times pirate_laugh2.gif

Thank you for the review, Pcvando. It is very nice with interesting pictures. The only thing, I think is missing are some pictures from the building proces - and how you felt building it.

Regarding the cardboard game, it looks so familiar to me. I am not sure, I have got it, but I'm pretty sure I have seen it before. Does anyone know if it was included in some of the other big sets? - If it shows up amongst my things, I will let you know.

Happy Anniversary! Not just the BSB, but the entire LEGO Pirates series. - From the dreams section: LEGO should release an anniversary box or two pir_laugh2.gif

Thanks, and I totally agree, we NEED more pirates sets!

As for the board game…. I still have no idea. I know that it definitely came with my BSB and I have another one sealed, but I have never gotten it in any other sets. Maybe it was included in a few big sets, maybe region specific, but if you think you have it, maybe region had nothing to do with it, because I am all the way over here in Canada pirate_laugh_new.gif

I will do some more research, and I have contacted TLG about it…. Still no reply. pir_wacko.gif

I will post some more pics of it shortly.

As for the build…. it was a little long, but then again, I took my time. The instructions were a big odd, but all of the older lego instructions are more difficult to follow than todays.

I think you should get it pir_laugh2.gif

Maybe it was included in a few big sets, maybe region specific, but if you think you have it, maybe region had nothing to do with it, because I am all the way over here in Canada pirate_laugh_new.gif

Well... For sure, I have never been in Canada... But you have a good choice of colours in your flag pirate_wink.gif I'll move to a bigger place later this year, so I should get some stuff from my parents' house. If the game is there, I will let you know.

As for the build…. it was a little long, but then again, I took my time. The instructions were a big odd, but all of the older lego instructions are more difficult to follow than todays.

I think you should get it pir_laugh2.gif

Always nice with a long build. You have to enjoy the process. And I miss the old instructions. I seldomly had any problems in finding the pieces. And the instructions didn't contain as much paper as the 3 volume instruction books we get now :pir-sceptic:

If I get any near to BSB - and have the money - it'll be mine. Mine! MINE! pirate_laugh2.gif

I don't recall getting the board game with my BSB back in the day, either. It's the type of thing I would've played as a kid, and I didn't throw out stuff like that, so I'm pretty certain mine didn't come with one. Fun to see your collection, but I must admit that I find unopened boxes a bit sad. So much potential still untapped!

If I get any near to BSB - and have the money - it'll be mine. Mine! MINE! pirate_laugh2.gif

I paid kind of a lot (for me anyway) to buy and restore one of these. It was my favorite back when and my parents gave it to my cousin's kids when I wasn't looking...

I don't recall getting the board game with my BSB back in the day, either. It's the type of thing I would've played as a kid, and I didn't throw out stuff like that, so I'm pretty certain mine didn't come with one. Fun to see your collection, but I must admit that I find unopened boxes a bit sad. So much potential still untapped!

I think you are right, but if people opened everything, the generations to come would not have the opportunity to open any new ones… pirate_cry4.gif