Athos

Roof Techniques

The "prong" on the lid fits into a 1x1 cone (does need a bit of rotating to get the max friction point), and these are just built onto some tilted plates.

Underneath each vertical row of flippers, there is a 1x10 plate. The flippers fit into the underside of the plate, alternating between on the "pin" (between the studs on the other side) and the "hole" (directly beneath the studs on the other side). And this is repeated, but with a different offset for each vertical row.

For the curved roof, I used horizontal flex tubing with 1x1 clips.

And some more...

By Marian19, using popsicles -

dsc00263.jpg

I'm pretty sure I've seen someone using bars, flex tubing and string to make a roof, but that may have been a table scrap of mine :blush:

Please can you give me the bricklink number of your bricks from the roof.

Jonas

Lots of great techniques here! I'll remember this thread if I ever need tips.

Wow, what an old topic. I still think it's worth to share "my" roof technique:

8524185884_bc636cdf87_n.jpg

8464021881_cbf5a74e60_n.jpg

8372920726_e82fe1b3ce_n.jpg

hint: You'll need a ton of 1x2 tiles for it :laugh:.

2 x 2 tiles stacked diagonally looks pretty awesome for a lot of roofing.

10936501594_8f148d895c.jpg10553541043_f40eca9f21_z.jpg

here are some of my most recent roofs.

and a small guide I made some time ago and never posted

OOF:

first up make a (preferably brown) "base" for your roof.

8809657193_6c1ef8f8fb.jpg

I have put together a small one. please note this will only be half a roof

8820244086_aec11e833c.jpg

at the back I have these parts that will clip onto the interior when the roof is done and hold it in place

the first I will show you how to do is using CMF plates for your roof

8820243386_cb37a1c452.jpg

you could cover the entire thing with plates if you wish. I like to add some "damaged" plates for texture.

8820242998_974f9fe010.jpg

next I will add gables. these can be as complicated or simple as you want. my ones pretty basic.

8809650453_9146727245.jpg

8820242804_8ab4d7903e.jpg

this can be done not only with CMF plates but regular tiles in any colour

next up a wooden roof

8809655969_eeb69ec675.jpg

more plates applied

8809655759_9aea1391e3.jpg

then tiled. note how some tiles are a little misplaced, it gives a nicer look. you can get away with no gables for this technique.

last a thatched roof.

start by laying down dk/tan plates (the hole is not necessary)

8820241940_88b8bf2211.jpg

next we add some plate variation, rising in the corners specifically, this gives the impression of a sagging roof.

8820241344_bab0f162f8.jpg

lastly add some tiles

8809650101_66dfcbb4c1.jpg

using round 1x1s has been shown before here, but this is my technique for attaching them to a house:

9774217084_29aa45b36b_z.jpg

@Z: it'd be really cool if you could fix this along with the other tutorials!

Edited by kabel

I like the 2 x 2 round tiles stacked diagonally. I can't say I do a lot of building with actual bricks and I don't actually own any of said pieces, but I could post a picture of an LDraw model.

I like the 2 x 2 round tiles stacked diagonally. I can't say I do a lot of building with actual bricks and I don't actually own any of said pieces, but I could post a picture of an LDraw model.

i'm quite interested in seeing this.. Ldraw would be just fine :)

@ Kabel : thanks for showing.. I can make nice looking roofs..but have a hard time getting them connected to the houses >_<

barn_combined.png

Sorry, the colours turned out all wrong on the roof. I just realized that I didn't have a newer render of this MOC, but I will have to do it overnight sometime.

I seem to remember someone posting an interesting design for terra cotta roof tiles using plates and technic connectors if I remember correctly. I haven't seen it posted here yet, though I believe it should be.

This is my 2x2 round tile roof:

goldhouse1cc.jpg

And my round roofs:

roundroof1s.jpg

roundroof31s.jpg

roundroofnew2s.jpg

And one ornamented roof:

richmanshouse1s.jpg

Here's a four sided roof technique:

12069857333_e58d07d805_o.jpg

12069563635_04c4b77b46_o.jpg

This is how I built the roof on my latest MOC, Imperial barracks. The 1x2 and 1x4 tiles are held on by 1x1 cones that slide into the gap that the tiles cover.

This is how it looks in action:

12034988896_1828f8587d_o.jpg

This is how it looks in action:

Roof techniques aside, I love the look of your window frames on the tower, I'll definitely be borrowing it soon.

This is a great topic! The roof techniques are all interesting, but I'm still wondering how some of those roofs connect to the rest of the build. I'd love to see some "interior" shots or construction shots of some MOCs that clearly show how the roof is attached. Do you use those 1x2 hinge bricks? Or clips? Or does the roof just 'sit' on the structure without any connection at all? Enlighten me, please! :sweet:

It's not a question aimed at one person, but rather a general question fitting with the topic :classic: . I just always struggle when I get to the phase where I have to add the roof to the rest of the MOC. Seems kind of silly, I know, but still.. :tongue:

hinge bricks, cliphinges & actually, roofs that just are "wedged" in position all work pretty well..

Just with the last one..either you "block" it with a brick (internal or external) or make sure that the roof is 1 solid.