Sign in to follow this  
ZeekyBoogeyDoog

The Endeavour sails again

thindexedgif.gif 58d

This is my first actual ship moc I've made. I was always daunted by building a ship, but after watching the third Pirates of the Caribbean film I decided to build the East Indiaman Endeavour.

I really didn't know where to start, so I decided to look at the ship index to study how other ships were built. Hence, I'll start by acknowledging those I shamelessly ripped off.

I, um, "borrowed" the cabin design from Bonaparte's fantastic L'Orient. I also "borrowed" the design of the carronades from the cannon index.

Thanks to Mosana for his East India company torsos, Norrington, for his captain, lieutenant and marine torsos, and Sir Scott Lego for his Beckett, all of whom I congratulate on their excellent torso designs (I can't draw a straight line on MS Paint!).

So now, almost 1 and 1/3 months after I saw the movie, it's finished.

the_bow.jpg

endeavour.jpg

stern.jpg

The lifeboat, which was shown to be invaluable during the events of Potc 3 (smirk)

broadside.jpg

The real reason Beckett never gave the order to fire.

jack_sparrow.jpg

'Do you think he has this planned, or he makes it up as he goes?"

Comments and criticisms wanted :)

(Any advice with ship construction, especially the jib sails or a functional capstan will be greatly appreciated)

The gallery

Edited by SlyOwl

Welcome aboard Zeeky! Borrowing from the L'Orient is a good choice!

I would suggest that you give us deeplinks so we don't have to wait for the folder to be moderated. That means you should post links to a few of the pictures themselves because deeplinks work immediately!

Hope to see your creation soon!

Edited by ZCerberus

Welcome aboard Zeekey! Borrowing from the L'Orient is a good choice!

I would suggest that you give us deeplinks so we don't have to wait for the folder to be moderated. That means you should post links to a few of the pictures themselves because deeplinks work immediately!

Hope to see your creation soon!

I'm a big fan (if you will) of your MOCS ZCerberus! Thanks for the suggestion; as I am a big n00b it took me some time to resize everything in the folder to a reasonable size :)

*y* Very nice!

Thanks! I am very impressed with the prolific rate at which you produced great torsos and more recently smilies- especially the wig wearer. 18th century ON! :)

Though, Beckett was my torso.

Not that I want to be pedantic, but the torso I used wasn't your Beckett:

landing_party_close_up.jpg

Unless you made a similar one and I wasn't aware of it...

Edited by ZeekyBoogeyDoog

Very nice with a good color scheme and impressive masts and rigging. Looks pretty powerful. *y*

Not that I want to be pedantic, but the torso I used wasn't your Beckett:

landing_party_close_up.jpg

Unless you made a similar one and I wasn't aware of it...

Ah, so it isn't. Here is my Beckett:

lord_cutler_beckett_re-do.jpg (Trust me, it looks very good when resized.)

Also, my Admiral Norrington which I feel is a little more acurate to the costume:

admiral_norrington_re-do_-_finshed.jpg(Also, the best head for Norringotn is Luke Skywalker, as it is for Beckett)

BTW, You seem to be using my outdated Captain design. Here is the updated version:

captain_norrington.jpg

Also, am I correct in assuming that the Lt. in the boat and the Marines on shore are my torsos too?

Edited by Norrington

Excellent first MOC ZBG!

Welcome to Eurobricks and welcome to the Index of MOC Ships. :)

I definitely look forward to seeing future MOCs of your's if this is your first. *y*

Don't worry "borrowing" others' ideas ;-)

If ppl copy any of my ideas, i consider it a compliment X-D

Hey, do you have more pics of your crew?

P

Edited by phred

(Also, the best head for Norringotn is Luke Skywalker, as it is for Beckett)

BTW, You seem to be using my outdated Captain design. Here is the updated version:

captain_norrington.jpg

Also, am I correct in assuming that the Lt. in the boat and the Marines on shore are my torsos too?

Nice torso *y*. Unfortunatley I only have one Luke Skywalker :'-( Curse my refusal to buy lego licenced products!

Yep, the marines and lieutenant are yours.

Excellent first MOC ZBG!

Welcome to Eurobricks and welcome to the Index of MOC Ships. :)

I definitely look forward to seeing future MOCs of your's if this is your first. *y*

Don't worry "borrowing" others' ideas ;-)

If ppl copy any of my ideas, i consider it a compliment X-D

Hey, do you have more pics of your crew?

P

Thanks! I look forward to seeing your USS Constitution when it's done! The project I'm currently working on is land-based, but after that I plan to make either a galleon or a bomb ketch (depends how motivated I am)

I do have some more pics of the crew, but they're not very clear, and none show the entire crew at once. I'll take a couple of big group pictures of the crew soon.

Edited by ZeekyBoogeyDoog

Ohh, lots of things to say.

1) I like the coloring of this MOC and the cabin does remind me a lot of the L'Orient! I think the Endeavour was actually yellow and dark blue, but black is a good substitute given how rare dark blue is!

2) it looks like you have some large cannons up on the main deck, are those the ones you got from the indexes? They look mighty powerful!

3) Your crew torsos look good, as well as the custom East Indy flag.

A few recommendations if I may...

1) I might move the mizzen (rear mast) back several studs and the Main mast (middle mast) back a few as well! They seem a little cramped in there. Mast position has been an issue for many of even the experieced builders, so it is pretty common to get them a little cramped the first time out!

2) The masts also seem a little tall to me, but it is hard to work with the fixed Lego rigging sometimes and achieve a perfect height!

As for the land based MOCs, they seem to get people from other areas of the forum more excited than ships, so posting one of those could bring in some of the admins and fellows from the history and castle areas as well for comments and praise!!

As for help with your construction requests... I can only show you what I have tried. I will give you links instead of pictures so the MOC focus stays on your excellent ship!!

If you take a look at the Arbiter II here you will see I used a Lego "Ilet" and a round stud to attach the jibs in three places. I then used a piece of string and a thin technic lift arm as a slide the could loosen or tighten the string at each point the sail is attached.

Take a look at this post where I explain what I did with some better close up pictures! Link to the Ilet discussion and the Phantom uses the same idea here

The benefits are that you can move the jib around and still ensure that it stays tight and doesn't slide down the string and it will also allow you to angle the jib in any direction you want since no two points will be connected in a straight line as you have done in your photos!. I think it works well!

As for the capstan, Phred has a pretty complex one on the DDW (Dame du Loup). He might be able to give you a few pointers! Link to the DDW here

I also have a functional... but poorly placed capstan on the Phantom. I am not sure showing you the construction of it would help as I don't think it is a very good design! Here is how it looks from the forecastle at least. Capstan

Greetings ZeekyBoogeyDoog!

You're another first time ship builder who has done quite a good job. I see our Pirate MOC Expert has already taken you under his wing, which is great because he is legendary in his MOCing abilities.

Ahoy there, Mr Zeeky! Welcome in our friendly port! Your ship is very nice especially because it's your first one, but I wonder how you made it? Did you use LEGO hull pieces or normal bricks? It seems you've used a LEGO hull pieces at the stern but the rest isn't very clear to me. It almost seems impossible, because your ship is quite broad wich is good!

If you ever want to rebuild this ship, or build another ship of the line, I believe the HMS Endeavour was a two-decked (according to the At world's End game) ship of the line, so you could use the HMS Agamemnon for reference...

Yes, a seaworthy (battle)ship!

Mr Tiber

You've build a great ship! I just love it.

I hope to find some extra pictures once the Brickshelf-folder is moderated.

You are welcome to borrow from the L'Orient. I'm a big fan of a well integrated cabin and you got it just right.

I would have used 3 studs between the guns in stead of 2. We had lots of debate on this when I was building L'Orient :-D . I agree with Z. on the mast placements. For a ship like this (with 3 masts), I've used the HMS Rose as a model. Here is the picture (from the Rose) that I used to calculate the positions of the mast of L'Orient.

rose.gif

Edited by bonaparte

Thanks to everyone for the all the comments and encouragements! I will definitely try to incorporate everyone's suggestions into this ship.

I quite agree with zCerberus and Bonaparte; I have had difficulty accessing the midsection of the deck because of the close proximity of the masts. I also plan to use Z's suggestion for the jib sails. Thanks to Bonaparte for the reference picture.

Did you use LEGO hull pieces or normal bricks?
I used the standard hull parts. I broadened it by using lots of upward slope bricks, and built straight up. I'm considering totally rebuilding the hull at some point to add tumblehome effect.

Awesome ship! *y* Its good to see some more POTC MOC's. I was actually thinking about making one, but I only ended up making a vignette.

Beckett on the Endevour

beckettgoesdownwiththetide.jpg

"The Endeavour sails again" is a good title, after the Black Pearl's and Flying Dutchman's inflicted damage!

P.S.

Welcome!

Thanks SirNadroj! Nice vig *y*! Unbeknown to the heroes of Potc 3, Beckett survived the explosion. The East India company secretly rebuilt the Endeavour and now Beckett is once again patrolling the seas..this time, for revenge.... :-D

Thanks SirNadroj! Nice vig *y*! Unbeknown to the heroes of Potc 3, Beckett survived the explosion. The East India company secretly rebuilt the Endeavour and now Beckett is once again patrolling the seas..this time, for revenge.... :-D

Interesting prospect. For those of you how don't know, I am writing a seris about Norington surviving AWE. Perhaps Beckett could be run into alive, but Lt. Gillette (who found Norrie) told him about the mealstorm thingy. You can read it here: http://www.freewebs.com/norrington2795/mystories.htm It just occured to me that I need to start writing Part III... Damn writer's block...

That'd make a good plot for POCT 4! (If they make one :-/ )

Very good work !! *y* *wub*

Very very nice ship !! I'm making one like that now.

But wasn't the Endeavour a three-decked ship...?

I am writing a seris about Norington surviving AWE
Cool. I always liked Norrington; his death relatively early in AWE surprised me, I thought he'd feature more in the movie.
That'd make a good plot for POCT 4! (If they make one sceptic.gif )
And the twist is, now Beckett's a Darth Vaderesque cyborg :-D !
But wasn't the Endeavour a three-decked ship...?
I've forgotten what it actually looked like in the first place by now :) Although I do remember thinking it at the time looked something like the Victory.