Captain Hannibal Joost

Port Royal • Modular version

Hi everyone,

I share this concept of a modular version of the imperial place for your blue or red coats :)

I have modified the bell tower to fit with this "theme".

Each module is on a 16x16 blue plate, or 8x16.

(Link to the first image : http://www.flickr.co...157636624212515)

Actually, there're 7 modules :

• The bell tower

• The gun tower

• The stock of weapon

• The jail with a room over it

• The small fort

• 2x intermediate dock

Hope you'll like it.

About 1600 pieces.

So let's get a closer look...

Hmmm... A larger image is not helping. You'd do well to lose some of the white-space to make the MOC appear larger and thus be seen in more detail.

I.e. this:

post-273-0-81075900-1381964230_thumb.png

Opposed to this:

10313188186_b5c35b456d_c.jpg

Thank you, everyone,

Tchuck-Norst --> I'll publish the lxf file soon. Stay tune :)

Mister Phes --> Ok, it's actually the default screenshot of LDD, but I'll publish better views, and individual views of the modules.

Warspite03 + Kermit --> Thanks :)

Dr_Spock --> I've just finished my pirate ship moc, so I have to wait to buy bricks to do this moc :)

I really like this, nice job! I wish the Lego company would come up with sets like this.

Do you think I have to publish this on lego.cuusoo.com ?

Well no, you don't have to publish anything on CUUSOO.

Should you be considering it I'd suggest some minors revisions...

1. More minifigures! A set this size needs at least 8.
  2. Interesting accessories to go with the minifigures. Maybe come up with something new.
  3. Incorporate an opposing faction. Pirates is the most obvious choice but maybe you could get creative and invent your own.
  4. Incorporate more plant life into the design. It's a bit barren! A palm tree is a staple of every large pirate set so at the very least you should have one of those, but some smaller plants growing off the rocks could work nicely.
  5. Where are the animals? Is that a gull perched atop the dock post? It looks brick-build which is redundant now there's a LEGO seagull. Consider finding some LEGO animals that will work well with theme of this design.
  6. Incorporate some nifty features. You've got a swivel cannon and a crane but that's not really enough so you'll need to brainstorm something original.

Now you might be saying this is a LDD creation and there are limitations over what can be achieved.

But guess what! People don't care! Unless you can deliver a fully featured LEGO Pirates sets you can't expect them to vote for it.

Would you pay good money for a Pirate Set lacking minifigures, animals, accessories, plant life and nifty features? Well, I wouldn't and I suspect others wouldn't either.

A good design is one thing but playability and value are other important factors.

You're right, Mister Phes. This project needs more work to get 10000 votes on cuusoo. :)

As you say, most of the points are limited by LDD (seagull, minfigures...). There are a monkey, a crab and a parrot, but tha'ts not enough.

I'll try to build the complete project and add everything you mention (more animals, opposing faction...).

Not sure about the palmtree :) If user imagines that it's a fort built on a rock, it's probably better to add small plants.

Thank you for all your good advices ;)

Edited by montoumes

I'll try to build the complete project and add everything you mention (more animals, opposing faction...).

It would be excellent if you could build the real thing. thumbup.gif

Not sure about the palmtree :) If user imagines that it's a fort built on a rock, it's probably better to add small plants.

Look at any large pirate set and there will be a palm tree... A palm tree is a MUST!

You know how some sets like Lagoon Lockup incorporated one? They just put a 2 x 3 yellow brick for a sandbar and placed the palm tree on top.

Eldorado Fortress didn't even bother with that...

back.jpg

Great stuff, but one minor observation is that the connections between your modules are wrong. The connections running up/down the screen (for want of a better phrase) are set right at the edge of the baseplate, whereas the connections running left/right across the screen are 1 stud inset. If you set the up/down connections in by 1 stud then the modules can be rotated by 90 degrees and still connect. You possibly also need to think about the 8x16's are going to connect in as well, does this mean that the 16x16 modules need connection points in the middle?

It's a great concept and there are some nice designs in the individual modules but the engineering around the modularity needs just a little bit more refinement before it's perfect.