Berry Syedow

Storage Containers

Recently I've been scouring the internet, looking for durable plastic multi-drawer cabinets to store my LEGO goods in. My color preference is white, but grey or black will do. (and if the frame is metal I suppose I could always just spray paint it..)

If you have any links or information to share then it's much appreciated.

Here are a few of the links I've come across:

White Cabinets (These look like what I'm after, but I'm still open to suggestions.)

Sear's Web page and Amazon's Web page both have what looks like the same type of generic plastic cabinets I keep seeing in different online stores.

These look pretty nice. They have a metal frame:

The whole list and One example

The last of the bunch, produced by Akro-Mils:

Link 1, Link 2 (which I found in one of EB's threads), and Link 3

Hopefully this thread will prove helpful to other people who are also in search of the perfect storage system for their assortment of bricks. :-)

I use these extensively (tilt bins). Good quality, easier to use than drawers.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/sto...35477_200335477

I do use some drawers too.

Hmm, interesting, very interesting. I do like the fact that you can divide some drawers in half (or more) for optimum space efficiency. Still, it looks like these could be less of a hassle...

Does anyone know where I can get stackable tip-out containers like those above, or even the drawer types, online in the UK?

That's a nice storage container, Berry, I'll have to bookmark that. However what I'm looking for is...well, a series of LARGE drawers that have inserts that allow me to make say, 20 or so smaller sub-sets inside, that I can adjust myself in width and length? If anyone knows what I'm talking about I'd be eternally grateful if I could get pointed in the right direction

I like these storage-topics...

It seems like every country has it's own systems, I am looking for some flip-out bins but here in Holland they are nowhere to be found. Or does anybody know of any?

the system I use myself consists of small see-through drawers (dividing possibilities) stacked in a beautifully red painted structure. Have a look here and here

These drawers have limited space, especially the small ones can get pretty full soon, but if one keeps sorting (to colour eventually) it stays do-able. You just need hundreds of drawers...

I am still extending the number of drawers (I own 249 right now), the latest row hasn't been added to my gallery yet.

They're being sold at Praxis stores in Holland and are quite expensive. It amazes me that they keep producing this system, most useful things stay around in shops for a few months and than dissapear for good like business seems to be going in our consumption society.

i kind of like this idea

35778_PE126676_S3.jpg

it comes from ikea and it costs about 10 euros

its a bit small...and you cant see whats inside (well you can put a sticker with a foto and know what's inside)

anyways maby itsnot the best idea but ikea has some nice storage boxes

and i really like wood more than plastic...

I've just got, kinda like, every type of box I can find. I keep normal 1x2 plates in a PAB tub and I have 6 shoeboxes with hand-made (slightly rubbish) dividers, two advent calender inserts, 10 stackable tubs, 5 small pots, two slightly larger pots, a creator bucket, an assortment of bags from sets, assorted other tubs/pots/boxes, a carboard WIP box in my desk drawer, a set of those drawer-things commonly used for sewing threads, etc (their previous use, in fact), and another similar one, but different 'shape.'

Add that to assorted other things stood on my desk, including but not limited to, favouite figures, previous MOCs, a few Transformers and a small radio, and that's quite a full work are.

It really is a bizarre collection of containers... but, hey, what does it matter. I know where everything is.

... but, hey, what does it matter. I know where everything is.

That is, in a nutshell, the most important thing!

All those drawers doesn't make things easier sometimes, after you've been away for some time and return home to your collection you get lost in your drawers.... :-/

That's a nice storage container, Berry, I'll have to bookmark that. However what I'm looking for is...well, a series of LARGE drawers that have inserts that allow me to make say, 20 or so smaller sub-sets inside, that I can adjust myself in width and length? If anyone knows what I'm talking about I'd be eternally grateful if I could get pointed in the right direction

You could build them out of wood?

I've done that when i used to use knex, (I made knex coasters) and they worked perfect for those. But they won't work for Lego's because I used each storage container for upright rods bundled together so there too deep and skinny for Lego's.

-TD

That is, in a nutshell, the most important thing!

It also stops other people using my Lego, because it'd take them so long to find anything. At least, it probably would if I knew any other Lego fans...

i have relatively few "spare" parts and they're all kept in a couple of large draws all mixed together. Afterall, there is no better sound than stirring through a big box of Lego to get the bit you want! ;-)

Sure, it's a little annoying if you can't find what you want quickly, but isn't that half the fun ? X-D

Is it me, or is LEGO charging too much for this?

LEGO Storage Tray Unit

Hey, I never saw that one! It is however not available in my country because like I said before: every country has it's own storage systems.

Nice device, looks a lot like the old storage things TLC sold us years ago.

Not that cheap, but I wouldn't say it's very overpriced.

I use tool chest drawers for smaller parts:

organizer.gif

sorting.gif

But, I've found these very handy for storage of bulk pieces:

Plastic shoe boxes

Plastic accessory boxes

The boxes aren't as convenient as drawers because you have to keep re-stacking them unless you make a separate shelf for each row of boxes...however, you can bring them from a storage area to your building area very easily. Hope this helps.

tan_improvement.gif

Here are a few more links:

LEGO Technic Storage

storage_so.jpg

...And a LUGNET Thread dealing with the woes of sorting and storing: LINK

Several days ago I had two of these purchased: BigRLDS39.jpg

They did a good job of getting most of my grey elements and my black roof tiles organized. A few things to note: The plastic drawers are made of a soft semi-transparent plastic that could possibly warp over time. No dividers are included. They can be ordered seperately from the "stack-on.com" website (somehow? I couldn't find an order form *wacko* the last time I checked). The back of the storage unit has two holes in it and is glued onto the frame. This means that if you intend to mount these things on a wall, there is a possiblity that the back could detatch and result in a huge disaster. :-P

All in all these are decent and they get the job done. I wouldn't recommend buying these for more than 15 bucks, though.

(If I can locate a camera I'll snap a few shots)

I like these storage-topics...

Glad to be of service. ;-)

You could build them out of wood?

I've done that when i used to use knex, (I made knex coasters) and they worked perfect for those. But they won't work for Lego's because I used each storage container for upright rods bundled together so there too deep and skinny for Lego's.

-TD

The problem with wood is that it's either too bulky or it wears out more quickly over time compared to its plastic brethren.

Is it me, or is LEGO charging too much for this?

LEGO Storage Tray Unit

I feel inclined to agree with you...

But, I've found these very handy for storage of bulk pieces:

Plastic shoe boxes

Plastic accessory boxes

The boxes aren't as convenient as drawers because you have to keep re-stacking them unless you make a separate shelf for each row of boxes...however, you can bring them from a storage area to your building area very easily. Hope this helps.

This whole box storage system is something I'm trying to avoid so I don't run into the same type of problem of "restacking" that you're describing. :-P But like you said, a nice shelving unit could resolve that issue, for those of us who have the space. ;-)

This whole box storage system is something I'm trying to avoid so I don't run into the same type of problem of "restacking" that you're describing. :-P But like you said, a nice shelving unit could resolve that issue, for those of us who have the space. ;-)

The major problem is that you don't notice how many of those plastic tubs you need to do one thing. Mine are divided into big plates, small plates, 2 x bricks, long 1 x bricks, short 1 x bricks, and I tend to bring alot over to the building area. Then I stack them all up into one column when I'm not using them and have to keep re-stacking to get what I need to the top...

...then I trip on the bottom one and knock them all over sending thousands of pieces scattering under shelves, into mouse traps, under the furnace...

"What smells like burnt LEGO down here?"

"Burnt LEGO, duh."

I too have to restack boxes, but because of the relatively small amount of big boxes I use, I tend to just get them all out at once, and position them round the desk I use. Fine, but the problem comes when I have to reorganise them all to get to something underneath or, in fact, get up. I also tend to end up with some boxes on my window. Thankfully though most of my boxes are small enough to keep in their own special place, whether that be in my desk drawer or on the floor next to my chair.

I'm also using a few of the plastic boxes from the first wave of X-Pods (round pieces) and from the Star Wars Minis. They actually work quite well.

It also stops other people using my Lego, because it'd take them so long to find anything. At least, it probably would if I knew any other Lego fans...

LOL people have stopped using my Lego too because it's sorted into drawers.

When kids (and adults) would come over to putz around with legos, they only use my unsorted bin X-D

With the drawers that i purchase, i never worry about color :-)

I just get whatever's on sale.

P

LOL people have stopped using my Lego too because it's sorted into drawers.

When kids (and adults) would come over to putz around with legos, they only use my unsorted bin X-D

With the drawers that i purchase, i never worry about color :-)

I just get whatever's on sale.

P

What what what??!! "Putz around with your LEGO?" My LEGO is behind a locked door. It's not for putzing around with! If someone tried to "use" my LEGO, I'd punch them in their stupid face.

What what what??!! "Putz around with your LEGO?" My LEGO is behind a locked door. It's not for putzing around with! If someone tried to "use" my LEGO, I'd punch them in their stupid face.

*Touches Hinckley39's Lego*

X-D

I keep My lego un sorted for 2 main reasons, In the past Ive tried sorting it, but didnt have enough containers... Second reason is I didnt have the space fot the tubs...

Now I just keep it in one big tub with a Lock on it, and a separate one for my bionicle (Yes I have that much)

Ill see If I can take a pic...

I just bought 6 of these from IKEA and I'm very pleased with them, they don't take that much space, reasonable price, semi transparent so you can make out what's inside them, stackable with feet that stop them sliding around.

*Touches Hinckley39's Lego*

X-D

I keep My lego un sorted for 2 main reasons, In the past Ive tried sorting it, but didnt have enough containers... Second reason is I didnt have the space fot the tubs...

Now I just keep it in one big tub with a Lock on it, and a separate one for my bionicle (Yes I have that much)

Ill see If I can take a pic...

*Punches Stauder55 in his stupid face*

I warned you. >:-(

I don't think you have a stupid face, btw. I'm just quoting myself... X-D

Likewise, I keep my LEGO sorted for one reason: I don't have the money to pay for the therapy I need when I have to spend hour after hour digging through unsorted tubs for one classic brown 1 x 1 plate. Oh the noise, the noise!

*Punches Stauder55 in his stupid face*

I warned you. >:-(

:-D :-D That really made me laugh, good job :-P

Likewise, I keep my LEGO sorted for one reason: I don't have the money to pay for the therapy I need when I have to spend hour after hour digging through unsorted tubs for one classic brown 1 x 1 plate. Oh the noise, the noise!

Or what about the damage to your fingers after digging around for hours? Also, I'm a fairly private person with my stuff. "No touchie" tends to be the rule X-D