Sign in to follow this  
Duke

H.M.S. Indi

thindexedgif.gif 30c

Due to the Indian figurehead.

Well this is my first ship and whilst it's not really in the same league as some of the other ones on here, it was the best i could do with the lego i have and thought it might be a nice way to introduce myself on this forum so hello everyone! :-D

I don't have any fitting sails for this, i may make some at some point.

p1010036yi2.jpg

p1010037kd6.jpg

p1010038zw7.jpg

p1010039ox8.jpg

You are right, presenting yourself with a MOC is a good idea.

And you are very welcome on our forum!!!

Sometimes we have to work with the bricks we have, but that's when your creativity starts to work to find solutions.

Maybe one day (when you have some more brown bricks), you could lengthen the ship a bit. But you certainly did a good job on your first ship.

And your pictures are very focussed and clear (that's not always the case :-D).

Greetings Duke!

This is quite an interesting looking ship and you've certainly made the best of what was available to you. It great to see having a limited number of pieces doesn't stop you from building! *y*

Hi, and welcome aboard!

Good work with the log bricks!

I never thought about building a ship almost completly out of this type of brick.

Do you happen to have acces to the interior (cabin, gundeck)? It would be nice to see the inside of the ship.

The only thing I miss is a steering wheel. But that's not bad...

I bet Kahuka would like the figurehead! :-D

Mr Tiber

"I never thought about building a ship almost completly out of this type of brick."

I had to because i dont have any hull pieces and i thought it would be the best way to make it look authentic.

"Do you happen to have access to the interior (cabin, gundeck)? It would be nice to see the inside of the ship."

Not easily but I shall describe it for you *sweet* . Nothing too special, the gundeck has simply the cannons and a couple of cannon balls by the side of each ( i didn't put any men down there ). The cabin, again pretty basic, simply had a table made of 2 bricks with a map in place on it.

"The only thing I miss is a steering wheel. But that's not bad... "

Yeh again I dont actually have one of those, I did experiment with mounting a wheel on a rod but it looked a bit messy to i decided to leave it. Perhaps i'll work something out with that.

"I bet Kahuka would like the figurehead!"

Is he a fan of the Islanders?

Anyway thanks for the comment on my ships guys, looking in the galleries bonaparte posted i dont think it could stand up to most of those! :-$

"I bet Kahuka would like the figurehead!"

Is he a fan of the Islanders?

Hehehe, you bet! He's the biggest islanders fan on the forum I guess! :islander1: :islander2: :-D ;-)

Mr Tiber

Welcome Duke to our forum!

You prove what a great toy Lego actually is by making this cute little ship with lots of creativity and those nice logbricks. I think it looks good and I like the colorscheme.

Where are you from, and do you have other Lego-interests next to pirates/Islanders?

I am sure you will enjoy your time here.

*sweet*

I'm from the UK, more specifically Surrey.

I've only recently got back into lego in the last month or so and at the moment am a little obsessed with pirates/imperials. Though I have a mass of other lego, the bricks used in this ship are from one of the western forts, i also have some old castle things and some town stuff. I think at the moment I find this era particularly interesting though.

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

Greetings from across the sea!!

I actually think small ships are harder to make in some respects, so I always enjoy seeing a little boat!

I guess I would say that the log bricks are quite actually going the WRONG way for the ship too look authentic (vertical instead of horizontal) but I have always said I will take something that looks good over something that is highly authentic any day of the week.

As for the name, I think people in the US would consider the name of the ship to be politically incorrect. It doesn't bother me, but just so you are aware, there maybe people who would think it offensive or something.

Anywho, I like this ship, it bows in where it should, it is well color coordinated and you even did some building at an angle. All important techniques for ship building, so I would say you are well on your way to Pirate greatness!

Oh and don't worry about being in anyones 'league' we all realize people have different levels of Lego resources and experience. Even a small ship can be a big contribution!

Keep MOCing!

Cool boat.I like how you managed to replace the regular ship's hull from the pirate sets.If sails are a problem you could easily call your ship a steamer.I made two ships similiar to yours.I just haven't posted them yet.[i have yet to post anything.]

Appologies then if the name has offended anybody, it was actually an attempted wordplay on a ship that features in C.S.Forester's 'Hornblower' novels named Indefatiguable which is often shortened to Indi.

Going slightly off-topic...

As for the name, I think people in the US would consider the name of the ship to be politically incorrect. It doesn't bother me, but just so you are aware, there maybe people who would think it offensive or something.

Really? Maybe I'm being a bit stupid at the moment but could you tell me why? It's not offensive, or incorrect at all... X-D

Mr Tiber

I've only recently got back into lego in the last month or so and at the moment am a little obsessed with pirates/imperials. Though I have a mass of other lego, the bricks used in this ship are from one of the western forts, i also have some old castle things and some town stuff. I think at the moment I find this era particularly interesting though.

Do you think you might build an Imperial MOC one day?

Appologies then if the name has offended anybody

when I saw it the first thing I thought of was Indi-ana Jones X-D

Appologies then if the name has offended anybody, it was actually an attempted wordplay on a ship that features in C.S.Forester's 'Hornblower' novels named Indefatiguable which is often shortened to Indi.

When I saw the title of the thread I thought it was short for "Indiana". Hmm, Indiana Jones for the figurehead....

Sorry, got distracted there.

I did want to say I liked the use of the grill plate for the deck. It worked very well in the small space and being able to see into the gun deck is nice.

I have often wondered if it would be possible to do a ship with the log pieces sideways and use the ability to curve to good effect.

Not trying to be rude or anything, but it seems that there are a lot of pieces wasted for such a little, squat, unrealistic ship... 8-|

Not trying to be rude or anything, but it seems that there are a lot of pieces wasted for such a little, squat, unrealistic ship... 8-|

Wasted? Squat? I think that's very rude...

BTW, remember what you wrote not so long ago?:

Hey, don't be so hard on him, he's a newbie.

Mr Tiber

Just imagine this ship being 1/3 longer and with sails.

Then it suddenly becomes very realistic!

The colors (brown/yellow) are also very realistic for an English ship.

"Do you think you might build an Imperial MOC one day?"

I hope so yes! I'm in the process of accumulating some more lego at the moment, purchased some imperials of ebay the other day and am waiting for them to arrive.

"Not trying to be rude or anything, but it seems that there are a lot of pieces wasted for such a little, squat, unrealistic ship..."

Very rude indeed! *sad* You do have a point and it would be a waste if i was planning to keep the ship for an extended period of time. I'm not sure that it's that unrealistic, yes it's lacking in some ways but the essence of a ship is there!

What's important here is Duke is making effort with the limited pieces he has and I don't think this MOC is a waste. In building it Duke has gained experience and improved his MOCing skills which he can apply to future MOCs.

While honesty isn't a bad you've got to be careful the way you convey it - your comment seems a little blunt and could offend someone if they're not hardened seaman.

I think the best thing to do is to also find something good to say about about MOC, even if you don't like it - for that is the true nature of constructive criticism.

Going slightly off-topic...

Really? Maybe I'm being a bit stupid at the moment but could you tell me why? It's not offensive, or incorrect at all... X-D

Well I guess it is because in the US Indian is the politically incorrect word for the group of peoples know as Native Americans here in the US. It appears here the word is being used for a general island or indigenous person, but it means a person of Native American descent here. I guess the word 'Indian' maybe offensive for a couple of reasons...

1) The term in the US was believed to be used because the explorers thought that had reached India. I think Indian could be short for indigenous or something, but the first explanation appears to be the one associated with the people in the US... anywho, Native Americans are not from India (well they MAY be descended from Asian groups, though many native peoples may dispute that as well, but strictly speaking they are not from India) so calling them Indian is like calling an Australian an African, it is just not correct in any sense of the word.

2) The term maybe stereotypical in the sense that it associates all Native peoples as being the same in some way. To compound the problem, this 'sameness' was often times seen as some who was a savage, or ruthless and completely uncivilized (whatever that term means). The various Native American tribes had different identities from each other as well. Each nation had its own name and customs and grafting a general term upon all of them (not that Native American doesn't) that is seemingly associated with a savage and ruthless kind of person is offensive in that sense.

That is just the American prospective I guess. I think it is like calling the Inuit people of Canada 'Eskimo', it is a term invented by outsiders for a group of people who don't appreciate it being placed on them as they already have a name and perhaps even different origins and traditions from other people seemingly inside the same group. Indian maybe a little worse because of the negative connotation the word has in the US due to stereotyping.

It doesn't offend me because I know you wouldn't use the term in the sense of trying to offend, I just thought you should be aware that it could be offensive to some people, Native American or not, who may have adverse feelings towards the term.

Wow, that was a lot of explaining! I guess a Native American would further say that the Islander subtheme is in no way a Native American sub theme, so even calling Islanders Indians would be wrong to a certain degree.

I also would like to say something to Hans the Great...

Hans, my friend, take it from a member who had a few run-ins with the law (Mr. Phes that is) when he was a younger member, even if you are feeling like a MOC is not the bees knees, or is getting too much attention for some, or any reason, just try to be kind, and explain what you do or do not like. People have different resources and different skill levels, and no space in the forum is ever wasted on something that someone has created to share, even if you believe it is not as "good" as another MOC, whatever that may mean. Believe me, people will vary the criticism and comments based on the skill of the MOC builder. I have taken some criticism on some of my MOC that I would never dole out to a MOC builders first ship.

I think you may find, as I have, that smaller ships are harder to build in many ways, and there are many good ideas on this ship as I mentioned above. The general shape is correct, the colors are excellently coordinated and Duke's picture taking skills are very good. This MOC may well some day inspire Duke, or others to create the next great MOC on the forum here. I think you will become much more respected if you contribute honestly but mindful of the fact that our skill levels and resources aren't the same. You can say that you believe the ship too bulky if that is your true feelings, but then suggest something that Duke could try out to make the ship look more sleek!

I don't mean to lecture, but since the Native American thing got me started, I thought I would try to tie up the loose ends!

To Duke: Do you have any future plans for this ship or your next MOC?

I think this ship is going to be scrapped soon, i don't really have enough lego at the moment to keep it and i think that the fun part is really the building and designing! I've been thinking about making something bigger and in black or perhaps a fortress for my redcoats. A bit busy at the moment so this may not happen for a few days.

I think this ship is going to be scrapped soon, i don't really have enough lego at the moment to keep it and i think that the fun part is really the building and designing! I've been thinking about making something bigger and in black or perhaps a fortress for my redcoats. A bit busy at the moment so this may not happen for a few days.

I love land based MOCs! keep us updated!

:-|| Um, okay what I ment to say was that to me it should be FORT Indi, not a ship. You know, Like that viking set. Or, perhaps a raft. Where did you get all those pieces? Why? The pieces just looked out of place...

By the way MISTER Tiber, with Island boy, I was referring to his handling of the forum, not to his MOC.

There's a big diff.... :(

Well I guess it is because in the US Indian is the politically incorrect word for the group of peoples know as Native Americans here in the US. It appears here the word is being used for a general island or indigenous person, but it means a person of Native American descent here. I guess the word 'Indian' maybe offensive for a couple of reasons [...]

Wow, that was a lot of explaining! I guess a Native American would further say that the Islander subtheme is in no way a Native American sub theme, so even calling Islanders Indians would be wrong to a certain degree.

I think this is a pertinent issue to raise. While those outside Northern America may not be aware "Indian" or "Eskimo" could be seen as offensive, everyone should remember these are names given to these people by Europeans, but its not ncessarily what they want to be known as.

Having mentioned that, history and fiction have always possessed a degree of ignorance or "fabricated reality" and since this MOC is fictional I wouldn't suggest that Duke change it for the sake of political correctness.