Bonaparte

Press Release 10237 - Tower of Orthanc

The set really shines the msot from this angle in my opinion, shame they didnt put out any images of it like that.

54sjft.png

I agree that's the best view: you can see the Palantir and that awesome new arch too. However, the model isn't 100% symmetrical at that angle due to the open back. That's probably why they chose the head-on view.

Have to say I'm not 100% sold on the 90 degree doors. Shame they couldn't find a way to place them at 45 degrees like the Palace Cinema. Prolly not enough room up there to fit them.

Edited by Missing Brick

I hope that there is a set with Radagast in it later. The Istari portaits would be cruel if none of them make it into minifigure form. I like how they made Radagst's portrait brown to suit his color.

I've worked out the Istari staffs:

10237_backinsetK_001_weapons.jpg

From left (who they belong to) : Gandalf, Radagast, Pallando, Saruman, Alatar. If you look at http://lotr.wikia.co...ki/Wizard_Staff, you can see that they are well replicated using minimal and existing pieces.

Edited by 8BrickMario

Excellent news! But bad news for my purse... Will need to see this close up. Still, the Orthanc is what makes this year's LotR-Lego wave extra spicy. When the first info of that wave came I was pretty sure not to buy any set, and now I am going to buy the ship, the tower and possibly the gate.

I think that the Wizard Duel will be first set that I pass on from LOTR, simply because it is covered in the Orthanc set. Can always bricklink a palantir with the eye of Sauron down the line...shouldn't be too pricey with that cheap of a set floating around.

:wub: :wub: :wub:

Reading the more negative replies in the tread... wow. I guess some people can't ever be pleased. Me, I can't be happier. I agree that a generic Ent leaves room for a future "Treebeard encounter" set.

Open back? Do did Helm's Deep and Bag end... and you can always make it yourself, all you need is basic bricks (black basic bricks of all sizes are cheap on Bricklink), can't cost more than 30-40$ worth of black bricks.

When the rumors of Orthanc started floating around 2-3 months ago, I only had ONE BIG fear, and let me tell you that if it had materialized itself, EVERY other post on this thread would be exactly this:

"Where the HECK is Saruman? :angry: :angry: :angry: "

But it didn't, thanks Lego. :cry_happy:

I'd like to draw attention to the fact that Bjarke, the Lego designer, turns out to be quite a beast: he designed Helm's Deep & Bag End and now had a hand in designing this one, too! And unlike hobbyist MOCers, these guys have severe constraints to work with ($$$, marketability)

Looking at that staff page on the LOTR wiki, there is an image of some Lego staffs, and those of Radagast and Gandalf the Grey look alot better than the ones in the sets. The pic is at the bottom of the page.

Looking at that staff page on the LOTR wiki, there is an image of some Lego staffs, and those of Radagast and Gandalf the Grey look alot better than the ones in the sets. The pic is at the bottom of the page.

They are from the video game.

I'd like to draw attention to the fact that Bjarke, the Lego designer, turns out to be quite a beast: he designed Helm's Deep & Bag End and now had a hand in designing this one, too! And unlike hobbyist MOCers, these guys have severe constraints to work with ($$$, marketability)

True, but don't forget Hans Henrik! He did the Goblin King Battle and Mines of Moria, and those are great, too!

Good point, in general I think Lego is doing a good job on LotR, having seen how other companies handle licenses... Sure, Lego did blunder here and there (orcs), but once the Gondorians and other RotK-people come out to play there is little left to be desired. I personally believe the corsair ship is preparing a shift to RotK, since it is actually showing the arrival at Harlond - the turning point of the biggest RotK-battle.

Back to the Orthanc, I am also a bit bewildered by the negativity sometimes shown here. Considering the constraints in creating a profitable product (piece-count etc.) the tower looks most excellent.

Open back? you can always make it yourself, all you need is basic bricks (black basic bricks of all sizes are cheap on Bricklink), can't cost more than 30-40$ worth of black bricks.

Thinking about doing this - but I think the problem is going to be that it will require quite a few of those new pointed arch elements to complete the back wall - and those are only available in this set - and likely to be pretty expensive on bricklink if available atall. Still, it might be a fun project for the next 2 months - to see if you can build the back wall in advance - just from the pics. Quite how to attach it is another matter: hinges, or technic pins... Of course it's going to need to be full of stairs to get between floors... Lots of fun modding ahead.

Thinking about doing this - but I think the problem is going to be that it will require quite a few of those new pointed arch elements to complete the back wall - and those are only available in this set - and likely to be pretty expensive on bricklink if available atall. Still, it might be a fun project for the next 2 months - to see if you can build the back wall in advance - just from the pics. Quite how to attach it is another matter: hinges, or technic pins... Of course it's going to need to be full of stairs to get between floors... Lots of fun modding ahead.

Those arches are also in the black gate.

Couldn't you just purchase the new black arches directly from Lego? It might be a tossup between those prices and Bricklink prices, but it shouldn't be too prohibitive.

True, but don't forget Hans Henrik! He did the Goblin King Battle and Mines of Moria, and those are great, too!

They are great sets with a few modifications.

Mines of Moria needs gray baseplate. (Simple, but pricey)

All Goblin King battle needs is 3 hinge bricks and a few technic bricks to connect all components. Check out my mod:

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=80391&hl=%2Bgoblin+%2Bking

Gonna have to buy two of these suckers to mod it have a back. Maybe ill modulize it :laugh:

I didn't know this. Do you have any idea how many?

Just 2. But look for more in other 2013 sets, one of the new city vehicles has them in white aswell.

Edited by deskp

I´m happy that this set contain two helmet with white hand print like orc forge, you can extended your uruk collection:-)

I'm one of those that are impressed with the set, however, I don't even consider ever buying it. I like the fact that an ent was included, although the poor ent would look even nicer with some extra green leaves. Maybe it's not spring yet there where the ent lives. :-) I see the set as a wonderful example of architectural details, with all black facade and still many details of different shapes. Also, the interiors is interesting, and adds life to the creation. However, at the end of the day, if not exhibited on the shelf for everyone to see it, this is just a pile of black bricks that makes an impressive model.

At first, I was worried when LEGO was only planning to release 4 LOTR sets this Summer. I can see why with three designers working hard to provide us with 1 amazingly detailed Tower of Orthanc! I will definitely be purchasing this set. It will match very well with my Orc Forge :thumbup: .

I am curious to what 5 maps we will be getting in this set, and whether they are unique to this set only. It looks like the Shire map in the throne room, which makes sense (Saruman's love of the halfing leaf), and 2 unique scroll tiles in the library room. I cannot see the 2 maps in the attic (I am secretly hoping for a new Rohan map and Fangorn map).

I am also hoping they make a $40-$50 range set that includes Treebeard, Merry and Pippin, King Theoden (With long hair & White Horse), another Gandalf the White (I know, who needs another Gandalf) and most importantly the store room from the Flotsam Jetsam chapter in the Two Towers. (Is it too much to ask for some new LEGO pieces, such as pipeweed barrels, ent draught, and some new food like cabbage?). So far I am very impressed with the level of detail LEGO is putting into the LOTR theme. Keep up the good work LEGO!

I am also hoping they make a $40-$50 range set that includes Treebeard, Merry and Pippin, King Theoden (With long hair & White Horse), another Gandalf the White (I know, who needs another Gandalf) and most importantly the store room from the Flotsam Jetsam chapter in the Two Towers. (Is it too much to ask for some new LEGO pieces, such as pipeweed barrels, ent draught, and some new food like cabbage?). So far I am very impressed with the level of detail LEGO is putting into the LOTR theme. Keep up the good work LEGO!

I don't think it is very likely Lego will make a set that include pipes and tobacco since these are still children's' toys after all. I would guess a Treebeard set will either be set in Fangorn Forest with Merry, Pippin, and Grishnakh, or at Orthanc with some Mordor Orcs and Merry/Pippin. What the build will be, I have no idea.. probably just Treebeard himself (like Shelob was)?

I don't think it is very likely Lego will make a set that include pipes and tobacco since these are still children's' toys after all. I would guess a Treebeard set will either be set in Fangorn Forest with Merry, Pippin, and Grishnakh, or at Orthanc with some Mordor Orcs and Merry/Pippin. What the build will be, I have no idea.. probably just Treebeard himself (like Shelob was)?

I agree with you but they did give us a skooshed elf and plenty of kegs and bottles this winter. :)

I think a Treebeard set would most likely be set when they first meet him and include Grishnakh.

I agree with you but they did give us a skooshed elf and plenty of kegs and bottles this winter. :)

I think a Treebeard set would most likely be set when they first meet him and include Grishnakh.

True, they might give us some barrels (which adults would know what is in, kids not so much), but I dunno about pipes. I think smoking is frowned upon a little more than drinking wine since it causes cancer.

I started building the back wall for my set from the top down. Looks like the top floor 'trophy room' reduces to nothing once you add the back wall. The set 'cheats' by adding an extra row of studs to the floor space. Once you add the back wall and remove the cheat row of studs, all you have left is a cross of 10x2 studs. So it's a bit cramped :) No great loss though. My uruks need that white hand armour anyway.

I started building the back wall for my set from the top down. Looks like the top floor 'trophy room' reduces to nothing once you add the back wall. The set 'cheats' by adding an extra row of studs to the floor space. Once you add the back wall and remove the cheat row of studs, all you have left is a cross of 10x2 studs. So it's a bit cramped :) No great loss though. My uruks need that white hand armour anyway.

You should post picture updates on your build! I'd really like to see.