Sign in to follow this  
Chuck

Start saving your cross-axle connectors...

These buddies have been out already from last year. But I guess it's fully replaced now?

Well, I havent bought much in the line of technic this year.

But one of the Racers i bought had the new piece, and a (different set) Racer had the old one.

So maybe its not totally replaced yet...

Not really complaining tho, since they're functionally the same...

Except the new one has the grooves cutout that lets you stick it between 4 studs and lock, while the old one doesnt.

So ... thats a nice feature, right?

Well. They are getting replaced because the new ones are simply easier (cheaper) to mold.

On top of that, I think they are stronger as well, but I have to look further into that.

The only difference in functionality is that they can not be used in gearings like the old ones. (See the gear boxes in the black supercar and FOS-light space shuttle)

>xenologer

The old ones did also have the grooves cutout.

well i won't complain, i didn't like the old ones anyway...

Got that in my Kardas, set, in black (got it on February 2007). I was wondering where it came from, luckily there's always Bricklink if I need more of those (the good old ones). Oh, and I HATE COLOUR CODING. I simply hate it.

Shakar

Oh, and I HATE COLOUR CODING.

Related note.

Just me or...

The tan color coded version of this 3749.png

piece, seems to be made of a softer plastic than the old grey version; and it doesnt stay on as well, especially when rotating (like on a wheel).

Not sure if thats a color coding issue, or a general cheaper plastic nowadays issue... maybe a bit of both.

Lately whenever I buy an Old set off ebay I always set aside the technic pins; theyre like gold... reserve them for critical points on my builds...

Related note.

Just me or...

piece, seems to be made of a softer plastic than the old grey version; and it doesnt stay on as well, especially when rotating (like on a wheel).

Not sure if thats a color coding issue, or a general cheaper plastic nowadays issue... maybe a bit of both.

Lately whenever I buy an Old set off ebay I always set aside the technic pins; theyre like gold... reserve them for critical points on my builds...

I guess it's not just me then. Still, it'd be damn hard to undeniably prove beyond the shadow of a doubt.

As for cross axle connectors, I'd forgotten how odd I thought it was at first that they ruined the aesthetic flow of the the things they connected to. I'm all for the new piece.

I wouldn't count the old version out though... it has uses the new type can't support. I wouldn't be suprised to see them pop up here and there. (Going of course on an assumption that Lego has not officially declared it dead to news outlets among fans).

whoa! I thought that brick was a misprint! *wacko* I got in in Vezon & Fenrakk, and while Fenny had this new part, Vezon didn't! (the part's on his spear) perhaps it IS a misprint...

EDIT: didn't see the link, :-P

Related note.

Just me or...

Yeah, those were on the front axles of my 8455 Backhoe, they're totally bent now.. What a retarded idea to put such weak parts on a critical point like that. :-|