WesternOutlaw

Wizard's Challenge

A contest, however mismatched to my collection, was exactly what I needed to finally get around to registering here after a long time of just reading and lurking.

That said, I present my rather poor attempt at a wizard and a tiny corner of his lab. Ok, I'll confess, I only saw this thread this morning and just wanted an excuse to finally use some birds in a MOC ;-)

aluvar.jpg

Aluvar The Semi-Not-Bad-Most-of-the-Time

He's a nice guy, really. He tries to help people. He just doesn't have the greatest luck sometimes. As we join the scene he's having a discussion with his bird friends.

Petey (the parrot): squaaaAAAAWK

Aluvar: Yes Petey, I hear them. It's the townspeople banging on my door. They seem upset, but I don't know why.

Bluevro (the blue bird, go figure): sqUUUAAAAWWWKKK

Aluvar: Well, yes, that could be it. I really didn't mean to turn the mayor into a frog, it's just that he kept squirming around while I was working that spell and you know how I get, one wrong thought and ...

Pinky (don't say it): squaaaaawk?

Aluvar: I guess I'll do what I always do, pack up and leave. Let's see, books in the chest ... can't forget my spare wand ... I really should change before I travel. These black clothes always make me look sinister, but they are slimming. Oh well, maybe I'll find a nice girl and settle down in the next town. Yeah, that would be nice. I think I'll ...

Greynard (uh huh): SQUAWK!

Aluvar: HUH? Oh, sorry, I was rambling there. I get so easily distra ... oooh, look, shiny!

All birds at once: SQUAAAAAAAAAAWK!!!!!!!!!!!

Aluvar: Yes, yes, I'm ready, let's go ... *waves wand and disappears as the doors come crashing open, angry villagers with torches in hand and as revolting as ever run in just in time to see him grab his flask and zap everything into another dimension where he'll have time to figure out where to go ... this time*

aluvarslab.jpg

I'm more equipped for pirate work than castle, but I just felt like building and this was a good chance for it.

Thanks for running this contest TheBrickster and thanks to the entire staff of Eurobricks for being here! :-)

imperialshadows

Have you noticed that almost every entry has a bird in it? (especially mine) Interesting, very interesting. I guess the sterotipically wizard has a bird! :-)
Hey, mine has a bird too! A bley falcon! Speaking of my wizard, I should make a workshop for him.

Shakar

wow i have not seen some of these pieces before lol, especially the small scenery pieces like berries and different color birds...

where does Aves Hawthorne's torso come from?

If i can figure out how to resize I will post something...

Hey, mine has a bird too! A bley falcon! Speaking of my wizard, I should make a workshop for him.

Shakar

Hm...that makes me want to make a Han Solo wizard :-D He could be riding IN his bird :-P

My entry for the Wizard's Challenge:

Professor Snidley C. Rooked, Wizard of Curiosities, and his Wizard's Workshop, a Snake Oil Wagon:

very nice B !!! i've never seen a snake oil peddler MOC before... seems you have beat me once again to (what i thought was) an original idea.

- Brick Miner

Nice entries everyone *y* . I especially like Aves, he's look really good. Here's my entry, Mihangel Yorath:

481343421_a27200a4d9_o.jpg

I don't have a background yet, all I know is that he's part of the same tribe as my entry for a previous Knight contest (pic of knight in my flickr ;-) ). There's also an unedited pic of Mihangel in my flickr. Hope you like him!

Hey Brickster. I really like your entry... very creative. However, isn't the wagon kind of in the grey area as far as this rule goes?

The workshop is an INTERIOR build only, not an exterior tower, castle, etc.

Of course, it's your contest, so it's really up to you...

Here's my entry. :-)

Unfortunately, I was unable to finish his workshop on time. :-/

Larry of the Metal Arm

481394772_6939d53512_o.jpg

The eldest of three sons, Larry was born into a rich family, and was rather spoiled growing up. When he came of age, Larry was knighted. While not a particularly good leader or fighter, he had a sly tongue, which he used to manipulative advantages. Through many dishonest and backwards dealings, he gained high status, and became popular with the king.

Eventually, he found himself in a very powerful position, and very well off. He bragged and boasted, finding pleasure in belittling those around him. One night, during a particularly large feast, Larry gorged himself on the wine, becoming excessively drunk. In his drunken stupor, he claimed that he was the finest swordsman in the kingdom, and bet his fortune that no one could better him. A young soldier from the South took up his challenge, and they agreed to meet in one week's time.

As soon as Larry became sober again, he agonized over the predicament he had gotten himself into, but was too proud to try to call off the duel.

Upon the agreed date, he and the young soldier faced off. Larry being a very poor swordsman, the match did not last long. It was not long before, the soldier sliced off Larry's sword arm, crippling him and ending the duel.

Larry, utterly ashamed, penniless, and missing a limb, left everything he knew and owned. He stayed in a small village for a while, allowing his wounds to heal. When he was fit to travel, he journeyed into a small wood, made himself what shelter he could, and lived there. Alone and disabled, he found it hard to survive. He eventually was forced to live off grass and tree bark.

A hermit, strolling though the woods as was his daily habit, found Larry, who was by then unconscious and dangerously weak. The hermit pitied Larry, and took him into his house (which just so happened to be a large, hollow tree stump.), where he fed and nursed him back to health. As it turns out, the hermit wasn't just a simple hermit, but a powerful magician also. He trained Larry in his ways, teaching him everything he knew.

Larry was a very humble and grateful student, until the day came when the hermit told him that he could teach him nothing that Larry did not already know. That night, Larry murdered the hermit while he slept, using nothing but a piece of paper and a tin cup.

Having rid himself of his former mentor, Larry took over the hermits home and belongings, settling himself into the hollow tree the stump, and rearranging things as he saw fit. For a few years after that, Larry stayed in that tree stump, learning and improving his power.

He eventually created a special type of metal, which he was able to enchant and attach to his person, thus creating an artificial arm for himself.

Nowadays, you may see him wandering aimlessly through the woods, carrying a large wooden staff, and wearing a bright yellow hat. His skin is a sickly pale color from hours spent out of the sun, and of course, he has a metal arm, which he is most known for. I must warn you though, not to ask him about it, for his is a bit grouchy about the subject.

I love the hat and staff. Definately going to be stealing both of those designs. That hat would make great toadstool people/elves/gnomes/whatevers. And while it is an interesting idea, I'm just not real fond of the metal arm though.

That night, Larry murdered the hermit while he slept, using nothing but a piece of paper and a tin cup.

That seems a little cruel... ingenious (Macgyer-esque even), but still cruel...

Steve

Nice entries everyone *y* . I especially like Aves, he's look really good. Here's my entry, Mihangel Yorath:

Nice, it's like your entry for the knight contest forty years older. X-D

Hey Brickster. I really like your entry... very creative. However, isn't the wagon kind of in the grey area as far as this rule goes?

Of course, it's your contest, so it's really up to you...

The rules should apply to all (including me). I shared a picture of the entire wagon so that members can see exactly what the workshop is. What I was getting at in terms of an "interior build", is the INSIDE or WORKSHOP of the MOC vs. an entire castle/tower. Does that make sense? I was trying to prevent people from building huge castles and fortresses, but rather just building the workshop component (otherwise this would be a castle contest). My workshop is the wagon, just as some of the other MOCs are a bit different, like Alex's exterior druid workshop and Phes's island tree being the workshop.

These entries are a bit creative and don't fit the traditional "castle theme", so I ask for a little flexibility in judging them. I think they're all very good and meet the intended rules of the contest.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In regard to your entry SD, I love your wizard. Over the past few days, I've been trying to think of ways to build a sombrero for some of the citizens of my Old Mexico WW sub-theme. You gave me an excellent idea. I have to see what colors I might have available.

I love the hat and staff. Definately going to be stealing both of those designs. That hat would make great toadstool people/elves/gnomes/whatevers. And while it is an interesting idea, I'm just not real fond of the metal arm though.

Thanks. The hat idea isn't really original, though. I saw before on one of Lenny's creations over on CC.

That seems a little cruel... ingenious (Macgyer-esque even), but still cruel...

It is a little cruel, but I guess he just used the items he had on hand. ;-)

The rules should apply to all (including me). I shared a picture of the entire wagon so that members can see exactly what the workshop is. What I was getting at in terms of an "interior build", is the INSIDE or WORKSHOP of the MOC vs. an entire castle/tower. Does that make sense? I was trying to prevent people from building huge castles and fortresses, but rather just building the workshop component (otherwise this would be a castle contest). My workshop is the wagon, just as some of the other MOCs are a bit different, like Alex's exterior druid workshop and Phes's island tree being the workshop.

Okay. Thanks for clearing that up... it makes much more sense to me now. :-)

Alright, this is really last minute, but I couldn't pass this up. ;-)

Namron, necromancer

namron_-_necromancer.jpg

A brief bio: His name was originally Norman. He saw his love murdered in cold blood. Since then, he has embraced the dark side of magic to someday bring her back. His staff is made of a gnarled root.

My last-second entry:

fernos.jpg

Fernos

There is a long history behind Fernos, but I will be releasing that in a story on BrickZone.net this summer.

Not exactly sure if my entry got in on time, but will understand if it's not accepted.

Thanks! X-D

I just wanted to admit this wizard from my enchanted tree project,

Olfhere the Wise

the_grey.jpg

I was especially pleased with how he turned out, simple yet detailed.

Sorry I don't have a workshop or bird for him, perhaps later if I am so inclined to do so ;-)