Tim Bit

Canadian Eh?

I might be heading south (Watertown NY is considered 'the south' isn't it? lol) for a day trip in a couple of weeks. I was just wondering about anyone's experience with shopping for Lego across the border (is it worth it after tax/duty/etc.). Specifically I've been eyeing the Unexpected Gathering set which is listed at $69.99US at Walmart/Target.

Buying Lego is very much worth buying in the US because the prices are usually significantly different to be worth it even with the duty tax. Also if you check out Target, Walmart and Toys R Us you can usually find rare/exclusive polys.

Anyone seen the new Iron Man sets around? I've heard rumours of Brickset they've already been released (in the States, at least) but I haven't been to Walmart or the Toronto Lego Store recently.

I might be heading south (Watertown NY is considered 'the south' isn't it? lol) for a day trip in a couple of weeks. I was just wondering about anyone's experience with shopping for Lego across the border (is it worth it after tax/duty/etc.). Specifically I've been eyeing the Unexpected Gathering set which is listed at $69.99US at Walmart/Target.

Do you plan to stay more than a day in the USA? Check out allowable limits on the border website. Large, expensive sets are worth the trip. Watertown is not near the Lego Store in Rochester.

I got the Red Chrome keychain in the mail today! Aahh! LEGO loves me.

Anyone else get sent one of these things?

I got one in the mail today too. Looks like they were shipped from the USA. Late Valentine from Lego.

I believe the limits are:

$50 for less than 24 hours

$400 for 24-48 hours

$800 for +48 hours

And that's per person so if you're there for the day you can buy one medium sets with having to pay taxes when you return. Stay the night and make sure you return after 24 hrs, not 23 hrs they will nail you, and pretty much good. Stay a long holiday weekend or something and most people, excluding Si-MOCs, are good with the $800 of duty free Lego. ;)

I got one in the mail today too. Looks like they were shipped from the USA. Late Valentine from Lego.

I got one as well! Nice little surprise for sure.

I believe the limits are:

$50 for less than 24 hours

$400 for 24-48 hours

$800 for +48 hours

And that's per person so if you're there for the day you can buy one medium sets with having to pay taxes when you return. Stay the night and make sure you return after 24 hrs, not 23 hrs they will nail you, and pretty much good. Stay a long holiday weekend or something and most people, excluding Si-MOCs, are good with the $800 of duty free Lego. ;)

They are as follows:

$200 after 24 hours away; $800 after 48 hours away; and $800 after seven days outside of the country.

Thanks for the replies about shopping in the states. Unfortunately it's just a quick day trip over for lunch and to look around the stores (taking a friend who has never been to the US before and just wants to try out her new passport :tongue: -> we live close to the border), Lego shopping would just be on the side -> no duty free for me. I think I will take Crackerjack's suggestion and keep a lookout for some of the polys that arn't available here, and try to keep the spending down... we'll see if that actually happens :sceptic:).

As an aside (sort of) I noticed that Toys R Us has Hobit/LOTR sets on for 20% off, with no mark up (bringing them closer to US prices :grin:).

As an aside (sort of) I noticed that Toys R Us has Hobit/LOTR sets on for 20% off, with no mark up (bringing them closer to US prices :grin:).

Legit? I have to go get some soon, then. :o

Legit? I have to go get some soon, then. :o

Totally.

Popped into the TRU Express at the mall yesterday and they the Helm's Deep, (aka Hel's Deep according to the actors/crew!), listed IIRC for only 149.99

I got my flashy red key chain as well, put it with my new museum robbery set, made it into a statue...Also heading into the states for a week, hoping to pick up a cheap bigger set...maybe a train set...

The manager at my semi-local LEGO Brand Retail Store told me that he talked to someone, who is higher up in the LEGO Company, that there will be a brand new LEGO Brand Retail Store at the Guildford Mall in Surrey that will be opening up sometime in July of this year! I am very, very happy about this, as I live quite close to the Guildford Mall!! I may even apply for a job at that LEGO store when it opens up there.

Has any one seen the polybags that are popping up in America Walmarts in any of the Canadian Walmarts? I checked the Walmart closest to me yesterday but didn't find anything. Going to check the next closest one over lunch today.

Has any one seen the polybags that are popping up in America Walmarts in any of the Canadian Walmarts? I checked the Walmart closest to me yesterday but didn't find anything. Going to check the next closest one over lunch today.

Your best bet for exclusive polybags is probably Toys R Us in Canada. I usually check there at least once a week.

We're getting our first 3 full Target Stores this week. I'm hoping the have a better selection of Polybags.

Question for the non-QC provinces:

We quebeckers have a large book/toy chain called Renaud-Bray, which is identical to USA's Barnes & Nobles (Books and Toys), only the books are mostly in french obviously for the former.

What do you have that fills that niche?

Also...

Got the entire Hobbit theme at TRU about 9 days ago - 20% off with NO markup - yay!

Some little boy was eyeing the big stack of boxes I was carrying to the counter... "Wow mister you are buying lots of Legos!" :laugh:

(translated from french)

Edited by SheepEater

Question for the non-QC provinces:

We quebeckers have a large book/toy chain called Renaud-Bray, which is identical to USA's Barnes & Nobles (Books and Toys), only the books are mostly in french obviously for the former.

What do you have that fills that niche?

(translated from french)

The only thing similar that I can think of is the Chapters/Indigo/Coles book stores..

They have a decent amount of Lego and almost always the latest CMFs

Went to Chapters earlier tonight and took advantage of the 20% off for the 75000 Clone Trooper set; had a gift card with some money left so I only ended up paying about 9 bucks for it.

Your best bet for exclusive polybags is probably Toys R Us in Canada. I usually check there at least once a week.

Yeah, me too actually :-) - these ones seem to be specific to Walmart in the States though - just wondering if they will or have made it up here, as I have yet to see polybags in a Canadian Walmart. The ones in question are:

30213 Lord of the Rings Gandalf

30240 Star Wars Z-95 Headhunter

30161 Batmobile

30254 Razcal's Double-Crosser

30230 Mini Mech

Yeah, me too actually :-) - these ones seem to be specific to Walmart in the States though - just wondering if they will or have made it up here, as I have yet to see polybags in a Canadian Walmart. The ones in question are:

30213 Lord of the Rings Gandalf

30240 Star Wars Z-95 Headhunter

30161 Batmobile

30254 Razcal's Double-Crosser

30230 Mini Mech

Only one I've seen at TRU is 30213. Pretty sure I've seen 30240 as well, but not for sure. Managed to get the Batmobile at a US Target during Christmas.

Really? I`ve seen Chapters and Indigo stores in downtown Montreal and they don't sell toys at all.

Well I live in Ontario so maybe it's a province-exclusive thing. This probably sounds really obvious but did you check the Indigo Kids section?

I managed to score a pair of the old 2010 Hoth Rebel + Snowtroopers battle packs from the World's Biggest Bookstore in Toronto yesterday!

The 20% + 5% i-rewards discounts simply made it all the sweeter!

I'll likely pick-up a 2nd Imperial V-wing too before the end of the month, since it's hard to resist cheaper LEGO. :wub:

On a more important note though... Since when did the Maple Leafs become a winning team?! *huh*

What's next? Cats & dogs living together?!