On a scale of 1 to 5  

229 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• 1 - Poor
    • 2 - Below Average
    • 3 - Average
    • 4 - Above Average
    • 5 - Outstanding!

I took the plunge and this ended up being my first Pirate themed purchase (my main focus is on Star Wars and Super Heroes stuff). I wanted a ship for display and this beauty doesn't disappoint. I will say the lack of more cannons is a bit sad but that is easily remedied with a Bricklink purchase. Overall I love it.

Just picked this set up at the Barnes & Noble on Parker Road in Round Rock, TX, USA for 30% off.

There was one other still there in case anyone is interested.

After having bought this (and the still un-built Black Pearl) in August, I finally got around to build it. I absolutely love the sails, first of all. Best sails LEGO ever did! And the general color scheme is pretty good, too, with the whole skeleton-theme adding something new and fresh we haven't seen before. But the flaws mentioned by others and the fact that none of the figures does anything for me, and will be discarded, means that it doesn't rise more than slightly above average for me. And since I don't care about the fleshie figs or the POTC theme as a whole, and plan to use it for regular Pirates, I will have to modify it - since the colors are a bit too gloomy and dark to fit in with 'regular' Pirates LEGO. Truth be told, while this has some useful and good-looking colors overall, I prefer the colorscheme of Brickbeard's Bounty to this one.

I'll be displaying it as is for a bit, then modify it heavily to become an imperial flagship of sorts - since I (sadly) don't own the actual Imperial Flagship.

After having bought this (and the still un-built Black Pearl) in August, I finally got around to build it. I absolutely love the sails, first of all. Best sails LEGO ever did! And the general color scheme is pretty good, too, with the whole skeleton-theme adding something new and fresh we haven't seen before. But the flaws mentioned by others and the fact that none of the figures does anything for me, and will be discarded, means that it doesn't rise more than slightly above average for me. And since I don't care about the fleshie figs or the POTC theme as a whole, and plan to use it for regular Pirates, I will have to modify it - since the colors are a bit too gloomy and dark to fit in with 'regular' Pirates LEGO. Truth be told, while this has some useful and good-looking colors overall, I prefer the colorscheme of Brickbeard's Bounty to this one.

I'll be displaying it as is for a bit, then modify it heavily to become an imperial flagship of sorts - since I (sadly) don't own the actual Imperial Flagship.

This more or less summarises my feelings towards the QAR. It was my love of lego pirates rather than a liking for POTC that drove me to purchase this set. I absolutly love the sails but it is difficult to overlook the obvious shortcomings of the model. The tiny unenclosed cabin, the needless excess of bones and skeletons, the bare deck all contribute it to being a little disappointing in my eyes. I actually prefer the Black Pearl. Its a smaller model (with 200 less pieces) but to me it felt more fleshed out. I don't think either lives up the standard set up the classic pirate ships of old or those of the 2009 theme.

Thanks for a great review of this nice looking ship. It is definitely not at the top of my wanted list, but it is a good set nonetheless.

In the instructions (will have to take a picture), within the "bottles" are what looks like candles leading me to believe the bottles are intended for lighting.

EDIT: Here you go. This is why I called it a lamp:

23.jpg

The insides you thought were candles (they look like Christmas tree lights to me) are the hollow areas inside the piece. I should know, I own 20 of those pieces

Exactly what I did with mine. I wouldn't describe what I did as heavily modifying though... I switched the bones out for plain white bars, replaced the figure head with Penelope Cruz, removed the skeletons from the back and simply turned all the skeleton heads around so they are just plain white orbs. Swapped the skull and crossbones flag for a red imperial flag and she's done. The sails are obviously just fine as they are. Very last thing was swapping the priate crew for a military crew of non-fleshie minifigs.

I'm not a fan of pirate ships or most of the POTC characters but liked this ship from as soon as I saw it and bought it with conversion in mind.

Cheers

Rog

Exactly what I did with mine. I wouldn't describe what I did as heavily modifying though... I switched the bones out for plain white bars, replaced the figure head with Penelope Cruz, removed the skeletons from the back and simply turned all the skeleton heads around so they are just plain white orbs. Swapped the skull and crossbones flag for a red imperial flag and she's done. The sails are obviously just fine as they are. Very last thing was swapping the priate crew for a military crew of non-fleshie minifigs.

Do you have any pics? I'd like to see this.