I just dont undertsnad why they ddint use another new 5L half beams instead of the yellow half bushes in front?

I'd guess because it'd get in the way of the tie rods.

Edit: Whoops, didn't see it had already been answered (twice) cause it had rolled onto the second page.

Edited by Hopey

BrickBoxTV posted this detailed

review of the Lego Technic Grand Prix Racer 42000 set:

...and if you were to motorize it (using the instructions), PCTS99's

shows what happens:

Edited by DLuders

Is it just me, or does the top of the "nose" on that thing looks uglier than any other set I've seen in recent years? The part above the front suspension, it looks just like something a designer left halfway through development and forgot to finish.

Is it just me, or does the top of the "nose" on that thing looks uglier than any other set I've seen in recent years? The part above the front suspension, it looks just like something a designer left halfway through development and forgot to finish.

agreed, whole model's aesthetics look halfway-completed, good model with great parts, but they REALLY could have tried harder to make it look better... The front wing and nose tip look great, and the rear, but in some places it looks patchy and colors don't match. But either way, great set and great part value, will definitely buy this :sweet: and maybe use the suspension and other pieces and try to make a MOC of the BAC Mono: bac_mono.jpg Edited by z3_2drive

agreed, whole model's aesthetics look halfway-completed, good model with great parts, but they REALLY could have tried harder to make it look better

bac-mono-race-car-4.jpg

Same for that one above too. ^^^

BrickBoxTV posted this detailed

review of the Lego Technic Grand Prix Racer 42000 set:

...and if you were to motorize it (using the instructions), PCTS99's

shows what happens:

:laugh: He was very amazed that the cockpit steering wheel actually steered the wheels. I guess that is it noteworthy since Lego seemed to have strayed away from this feature in their auto models.

Edited by Meatman

There a lot of things to like about this model including the new hub parts, but comparisons with the older F1 cars are inevitable. I much prefer the method of opening the body on the Silver Champion which used the rare damped actuators. Flicking it open and closed took only a second and looked great. Linear actuators make everything take forever. On construction equipment they make sense because they are simulating a real function. In this case, I would have preferred the dampers. In my opinion, every set which uses LAs needs to be motorized, so almost all of mine are. They are pretty fun to play with once motorized. However, the 8053 crane way my first exception because the battery box looked so incredibly ugly because of how it was integrated with the model that I could not bring myself to use it. This is another such case. I like the video of the motorized functions, but hanging a battery box from the real wing looks so terrible that I can't do it.

With any luck I'll be building this set next week in the UK so I'll offer some more thoughts then.

I just picked one of these from my local Argos - seems they're not actually released and they didn't want to sell it to me. However, the manager saw the sad look on my face and overrode the system.

I had the same issue - I couldn't pay for the reservation at the automatic machine, so I took it to the till and that came up with a message about not being available for sale. I was ready to fight my corner, but I didn't have to do or say anything. The assistant just changed a few things on the system, and after a couple of attempts the big red messages went away. I asked what the problem was and she just said it had been entered on the system incorrectly. So I don’t know if they’re meant to be selling them yet or not.

I bought one last weekend, not gonna buy another like most all the other sets i,ve got in the past few years. Its a nice set for the parts, I too see a few things that need addressed with it, but all in all its a nice set.

Dan

will definitely buy this :sweet: and maybe use the suspension and other pieces and try to make a MOC of the BAC Mono:

Do it!

I'm thinking of cannibalizing a 42000 to MOC a nissan delta:

01-nissan-deltawing.jpg

Mine arrived today, I havn't started building it yet but the wheels outer diameter and width seem almost identical to the old ones from 8448; I'm gonna put them on that and see how it looks. Also, the wheels look like a good choice for a RC buggy, has anyone tried that yet?

got and built one last night

overall a very good looking model.

I dont like how flimsy the suspension is and the tires look very undersized for the size of the kit.

Edited by camaudio

I have just found that a common rubber band fits to the 42000 tyre's groove perfectly. SO you can make something like this

greenf1tyres.jpg

Sadly I have found only one

u9eQFny.jpg

@ aczkasow: I've never seen green-striped Bridgestone F1 racing tires before I read your post above, so I found this Bridgestone article that explained them: "Following the addition of reflective painted strips on the company’s extreme-wet and super-soft tyres at the Singapore Formula One night race, Bridgestone has announced that its rubber at the Japanese Grand Prix in Fuji will contain green-painted grooves to show its support for the Make Tyres Green campaign.

"Bridgestone’s CEO, Shoshi Arakawa told journalists that the company hoped “the Make Tyres Green tyre will draw public attention to the many environmental initiatives in and around Formula One.” Tetsuo Tanaka – the president of the Japan Automobile Federation – added that, “By aiding the development of eco-technology, Formula One can make a significant contribution towards the effort to reduce the CO2 from road traffic.”

bridgestone-f1greenjapan-nm1.jpg

Bought my 42000 here in Vancouver, Canada last week - built it over a few nights after the kids went to bed. Since I never sticker my Lego, I think with the orignal poster's photos, I have little more to add photo-wise.

Must say, with only the 8386 Ferrari Racer (bought a month ago) as a benchmark, I was really impressed. I had limited expectations, since as I've posted in the Rosco Classic Racer thread, my intent is to gear up for a 60s F1 racer MOC, and this model was to supply some badly needed parts. That said, insofar as the merits of the model go, I'll say the following:

• The suspension and steering components (esp the hubs) are indeed superb - and offer some excellent options far beyond a current-period F1 racer. The pointy rotational couplings were very cool - I'm more of a "U-joint" guy, and so look forward to seeing how I can work with those in other applications.
  • The chassis is a bit more flexible than I'd have expected. I suspect part count/ecnomics factored into that, and in light of my intent for this car, not something that bothered me.
  • Like Blakbird, I found the gear-driven opening mechanism really tiringly slow. Indeed, insofar as the concept of a powered rear cowling, I consider it a silly and contrived "feature" in need of a justification. For my taste, a simple pivoting mechanism with a hold-open feature would have been a better trade-off, especially if the alternative would have been a more rigid chassis and/or more realistic mechanical feature. Again, just my opinion ... :)
  • I welcomed the healthy supply (24) of curved fairing pieces over the shape cable/former pieces used by 8386. Again, just opinion, I don't like the formers, usually giving that exoskeleton feel - I know it can give definition for some complex curved forms - but thankfully, here it was not needed, and indeed, the fairing pieces worked excellently. I agree with an earlier poster who mentioned that it seemed like something was missing - a few more could have been used perhaps in certain areas - but again, likely cost considerations account for that.
  • Really liked how the pushrod suspension was modelled - though I noticed a bit of rubbing on one side (Front Right), so the action has a bit of a click when weighted. Those heavy duty shocks will be come in handy later, for sure ...
  • I had a good supply of leftover pieces - extra hoses, and an extra stabilising arm, and a few extra half-height lift arms. I checked, and didn't think I missed anything ... maybe needed for the alternate model?
  • Never did figure out where the six transparent pieces went - first time in my history of LEGO getting stumped by instructions - but then again, I am a relative newb to Technic, and have been away from Lego in general for a good couple of decades, topped off by being blessed with a less-than-stellar powers of intellect ... :)

I hear some of the "not good value" arguments some have posted. If you have a huge existing supply of Technic parts, and especially if you already have something like the Silver Champion, or the 8674 Ferrari, or the 8461 Williams, I can see why some would think twice about this model. For my situation, since it boosted my Techinic components by roughly a third, it was a good investment on that score alone. Furthermore, it helped me understand how steering/suspension is modelled in LEGO for modern racers . A fair bit different in some of the projects I have in mind - but still, a great learning tool, and again, a good buy from that standpoint. For experienced MOCers/AFLOs, I'm sure the other reviews were more helpful in your buy/don't buy decision. For adult Technic newbs like me, I can absolutely recommend this set.

Cheers,

C

Edited by canadius

I don't have a cars in my collection but I'm thinking i might add one :) in everyone's opinion which is a nicer set this or 8070?

buy the 8070 first since it's already discontinued. The department store in our place offered 8070 with 40% discount so I grabbed two sets.

I'm still waiting for good offers for 42000 since it's just newly released.