Does anyone else have a problem with the left belt turning much slower than the right one?

Yes. It is due to the fact that the drive shaft goes though the turntable.

The right hand side goes straight through the turntable.Were as the left hand side goes through the driving rings which has play in it.This cusses your left hand side to go slower.

If you switched them over you would find it would be the same.But this time the right hand side would be slower.

Yes. It is due to the fact that the drive shaft goes though the turntable.

The right hand side goes straight through the turntable.Were as the left hand side goes through the driving rings which has play in it.This cusses your left hand side to go slower.

If you switched them over you would find it would be the same.But this time the right hand side would be slower.

Actually, they should both be turning at the same speed. As Alasdair said, the left side goes through driving rings which means that there will be delay before it starts moving, but once it starts they should both be turning at the same speed because they have the same gear ratio. If they are not turning at the same speed, then either you put some gears in wrong or there is something wrong with one of your motors.

I have tried to change motor, but that did not make any difference. And I had noticed that the problem is much bigger when the batteries are running low. So I suspect that there is just more resistance in one of them, but that the gear ratio is the same. I do not really see how I could have screwed up the gear ratio this much and still get it to run.

Hi, this mod is very intresting. ( Sorry for my english i'm Italian :grin: )

I just bought a 8043 set before it went EOL, and now I would like to turn it in the ULTIMATE.

Of course now I need to buy the remaining parts , but I have no Idea how to make it...I ma very new to the Lego world and I would really appreciate if someone can guide me to buy the necessary part ( I would even ask someone to do it for me and I pay for if necessary )

Thanks to anyone will help me and happy NYE :thumbup:

Welcome to Eurobricks Sapo117 you can buy all the parts other parts that you will need at bricklink.

To see what parts you need and to make a wanted list for bricklink visit this link (most of the parts are found in the original kit which you have).

Hi Alasdair Ryan,

I did it and added the list to bricklink page.... but I don't understand how to proceed to buy them now

gMYZD.png

Click on the 'By Shop' tab to see which shops offer items that are on your wanted list.

Note that the parts list for the 8043 modification isn't complete, I recall having to add some extra parts.

Also, routing the electrical connectors in the back is a pain in the a** :D Furthermore, the dipper can actually move a bit too far towards the machine, which can put too much strain on the universal joint that routes the drive for the bucket. You may want to add some extra reinforcement to prevent this. Other than that, good modification!

Edited by jantjeuh

Yeb you now have to shop by store. You have 84 items that you need to find,If you click on the show all button it will show a list of shops that have the corresponding parts you need,some shops will have more than one part you need so it's beast to see that other parts you need by clinking on the 'show items on my wanted list'.

bricklink_zps809729cb-1_zps54c52daf.jpg

Note that the parts list for the 8043 modification isn't complete, I recall having to add some extra parts.

Do you know already which part is missing?

Do you know already which part is missing?

Not sure, but I think some 6L and 8L axles, and also a bunch of perpendicular (2L and 3L) axle and pin connectors. Oh, and 16 tooth gears. You only have the 8043 set?

Edited by jantjeuh

some shops will have more than one part you need so it's beast to see that other parts you need by clinking on the 'show items on my wanted list'.

Sorry the pic is very small and I can't understand what do you mean in this part. Can you explain better?

My goal is to order the most possible part from one shop only...

Sorry the pic is very small and I can't understand what do you mean in this part. Can you explain better?

Yeb when you go on any bricklink shop you will see that menu at the top left of the page.And if you look carefully you will see three text links,if you click on the last link it will show all the parts that store has on your wanted list.

Yeb when you go on any bricklink shop you will see that menu at the top left of the page.And if you look carefully you will see three text links,if you click on the last link it will show all the parts that store has on your wanted list.

Got it...sad to find out there is no shop have all the parts available in one shot.

Do you think this mod works fine als with default battery pack? Will there be any difference in assambling it if I use the standard one ?

The standard battery pack will not fit I'm afraid! You need a lot of extra room for the additional IR receiver and XL + M motors.

Edited by jantjeuh

What about the non rechargeable battery box? What is the difference between this 2 parts?

I mean using 88000 instead of 8878

@ sapo117: In the middle of this TechnicBRICKS article (TBs' interview with Gaute Munch), there is a comparison between the various Lego Power Functions Battery Boxes:

"TBs: The LPF Rechargeable Battery Box has a security but quite inconvenient feature for the AFOLs use at exhibition displays, which turns OFF the battery after running continuously for about two hours, regardless of the charge level still remaining in it. Have you considered including some "hidden" override mechanism (e.g. a key sequence) for the power users? Why not? Wasn't it a safe and added value feature for this element?

GM: You are completely right: This would be a good feature and it is on our list when we update it. This power down override was implemented in the LPF AAA Battery box after launch of the rechargeable.

When the charger is on it will not power down.

TBs_20120701_1g.jpgTBs_20120701_1h.jpgTBs_20120701_1i.jpg

"From left to right we have the LPF Battery Boxes per release order (8881, 8878 and 88000). Like with NXT brick, the last two batteries implement auto turn OFF feature, after approx. 2 hours of continuous operation. Only with the 88000 PF AAA Battery Box, the user can override this function - If you press and hold down the green button for more than 3 seconds the green light will blink to indicate that auto turn OFF is disabled. This means that a motor will run until the batteries are empty. To enable again turn the AAA Battery Box OFF and ON again."

It looks almost better using 88000 isn't it?

Not necessarily. The 8878 Lego Power Functions (PF) RECHARGEABLE Battery Box is a lightweight Lithium Polymer (LiPo) unit that can produce 7.4V. It can be easily recharged by simply plugging in the transformer's recharging tip, without having to disassemble a MOC. Although it costs USD $50 (not including the transformer), it's a good long-term investment. The 88000 PF AAA Battery box can hold 6 ea., 1.5-Volt Alkaline batteries (for 9V total when new), or 6 ea., 1.2-Volt rechargeable AAA batteries (for 7.2V total). These small battery cells don't deliver a lot of milli-Amp-hours (mAh), so they would have to be replaced more often than the 8878 Rechargeable unit.

For Jurgen Krooshoop's "Ultimate 8043", I'd use the 8878 unit so that you wouldn't have to disassemble the MOC somewhat to withdraw the battery box.

OK, got it, I will probably start searching the 8878 at a good price. In USA it's 50$, here in Italy it's 69,99€ that means 90$ gosh!!!!

And I am not even sure it's charger included... do you know if any cell phone charger is compatible?

@ sapo117: This Eurobricks topic talked about possible third-party Transformer for the 8878 Lego Power Functions Rechargeable Battery Box. The problem is that the 8878 is designed for 10V input (which is unusual for Transformers).

lipo_charging_voltage_vs_charging_current.png

OK, got it, I will probably start searching the 8878 at a good price. In USA it's 50$, here in Italy it's 69,99€ that means 90$ gosh!!!!

And I am not even sure it's charger included... do you know if any cell phone charger is compatible?

Sapo117, the cheapest 8878 in Europe can be bought at WASSERMAN SHOP, a Czech Bricklink shop. I've ordered a few from him already so I can vouch for his reliability (he also has 1800+ positive feedback without a single neutral or negative).

he sells them for 49.99$ (roughly 38€).

8878 are NEVER sold with the adapter, you'll have to buy that one separately. The cheapest new on Bricklink in Europe is 17.95€ from a shop called electricBricks.

If you are going to order an 8878 via Wasserman shop though, I suggest you also buy the transformer there as it will save you on shipping. He's selling them for 25$ (roughly 19€).

I wanted a few of them and was also put of by the official price LEGO has set for them; 60€ for 1 or (via Bricklink) 38€ for 1 is a huge difference...

PS: I'm not affiliated with this shop at all, just stating the facts here :classic:

So, can I use a different charger? I've got one that's designed for charging 9.6V batteries, which I think has a 7.2V setting as well. If I can find an adapter plug, will that work?

best not to,since you are in the uk you can order a uk plug from amazon-uk. :wink:

I meant an adapter for the end that plugs into the battery pack. It already fits into the wall socket :classic: