Bonaparte

Survey: New parts and new colors

As a Part Designer I would like the parts I'm working on right now :wink:

But a part I lacked today at work, was a 2x1 plate connected to another 2x1 plate (in the same plane), forming a T-shape. This would work as a "jumper-part", offsetting parts by half a module.

This does not fit well into LEGO SYSTEM, but I could surely see the use of it, enabling 2 module wide structures narrowing symmetrically into a 1 module structure, in a much more simple way than using the 2x1 jumper plate.

Erland

Part Design

So what are these secret parts? Can anything about them be revealed? Secretly on the forum... :blush: You have an interesting job.

As a Part Designer I would like the parts I'm working on right now :wink:

Erland

Part Design

So, it's almost like this one:

plate_2_x_2_t_shape.png

I see potential...

plate_2x2_tshape_usage.png

(please consider this version as well. I think it has more potential than the version you are describing)

So what are these secret parts? Can anything about them be revealed? Secretly on the forum... :blush: You have an interesting job.

Well I have made only a few new parts for 2013 sets, like Space wings, Chima eagle head etc.

This is because I've been busy with parts that needed a bit more development, and will be out in 2014.

So, it's almost like this one:

plate_2_x_2_t_shape.png

I see potential...

plate_2x2_tshape_usage.png

(please consider this version as well. I think it has more potential than the version you are describing)

Erik, I see you attached a 1x1 to a 1x2, instead of the 2x2 attached to a 2x2 as I had in mind.

Both pieces could enable "smart" builds, but the problem is of course that you can't put the part down on a plate, or put a plate on top of it. I already described my suggestion to Design Lab, and they are surely not fond of parts like these, which I kind of knew before hand. But I haven't given up yet.

But in recent years LEGO has focused on making parts that fit well into the SYSTEM in a natural way, so there is hardly any room for "strange" parts.

Erland

Part Design

Interesting insight into part development Front, thanks for that! This design mentality made LEGO replace all of the classic 'wing' parts which also didn't sit well on top of plates, presumably among many other such part improvements.

I certainly look forward to your 2014 creations!

but the problem is of course that you can't put the part down on a plate, or put a plate on top of it.

Of course, with this part, that is the entire point :wink:

The idea of new parts is that they either enable constructions not possible before, or making things that were already possible, easier. This is an example of the first case.

The idea of new parts is that they either enable constructions not possible before, or making things that were already possible, easier. This is an example of the first case.

But we have to take into account if children understand how to employ this part. They may get confused, when they can't build the part onto other bricks etc.

But personally I would like a part like you suggest.

I will try and see if I can come up with an idea for a "jumper" type of plate, brick etc, that can actually also be built onto a plate, though fitting better into SYSTEM.

Not that it's a part of my job, Part Designers rarely come up with new ideas for parts, but just engineer the ideas from the regular Designers, to achieve the final product.

Erland

Part Design

I have a few part requests that I'd love to see LEGO create, one would be corner cheese slopes, and another would be Inverted cheese slopes!

Part name:

Superbike rear tyre for Technic 8051 rim

Description:

I propose a new generation of wide rear tyre, in the vain of 8420, with a more realistic high profile and deep curvature, resulting in a slightly larger overall diameter than the front tyre, as per a real superbike.

5 units wide would not look out of place on the existing 8051 rim, which is still in use as of 2013 set Motorcross bike.

Usage:

I believe wide rear tyres on motorcycles are visualy engaging even to non motorcyclist lego fans and builders, as they make a static motorcycle appear dynamic, giving a deep sense of direction and purpose.

In the hopes that T.L.G. have read this,

Sincerely,

Kieran Chamberlain

Edited by Kierna

I have seen enough episodes of shows like American Chopper to know that a wide rear motorbike tyre would be a good thing :)

I have seen enough episodes of shows like American Chopper to know that a wide rear motorbike tyre would be a good thing :)

Thank you, I'm glad there is some support out there :classic:

I've seen a few reviews of Technic 8051 that were a bit dissapointed by the back tyre being the same width as the front.

I have put the wide rear tyre from Technic 8420 on an 8051 rim, it looks great, but I think a proper one for these rims is in order.

When they were developing 8051, I told the Technic team that they needed a wide rear tyre. The problem is: make 1 or 2 new molds :-( Money.

When they were developing 8051, I told the Technic team that they needed a wide rear tyre. The problem is: make 1 or 2 new molds :-( Money.

That's awesome! I hope I may work for lego one day.

It will be great if they can afford some new tyres in the future. For now the 8420 tyres will have to do :classic:

Edited by Kierna

I would love to see the new 4 x 4 round plate with hole in the middle in more colors. Black, Blue, Green, Red, Yellow and maybe others.

Maybe even more transparent colors beyond just the trans-clear and trans-red...

I would like to see the new 1 x 1 round tile in brown (it would go great with the Gavel in giving the judge something to bang it on :)

These two parts need to be in more colors

This part only comes in white. It is a very very useful piece. Having it in more colors would be awesome

http://www.bricklink...tem.asp?P=85861

This part only comes in brown. It is a very very useful piece. Having it in more colors would be awesome

http://www.bricklink...tem.asp?P=10288

Quick edit there are some Hero Factory parts I want in new colors as well

The multi tool ice shield in, Breez green Surge blue and Rocka gold

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=92202

And the new style of hands in Rocka gold

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=93575

Edited by Takanuinuva

Now that Lego have finally (30 years late!) produced a slope 33 double concave I would like to see it in black, dark grey and red.

99301.jpg

Lightsaber blade piece in trans orange, yellow, clear would be very, very handy.

In your own time, Lego.

Me, too. I was just looking around for a slope like that in red, but there's none.

Now that Lego have finally (30 years late!) produced a slope 33 double concave I would like to see it in black, dark grey and red.

Lightsaber blade piece in trans orange, yellow, clear would be very, very handy.

In your own time, Lego.

I second this, the lightsaber bars are highly useful in many situations, producing them in new colors (especially transparent colors) will ALWAYS be welcome. :wink:

LEGO please make the 1 x 2 x 3 window glass in trans-light-blue. With the 1 x 4 x 3 glass now being made in that color (in the new fire station set), the 1 x 2 x 3 is the only size of glass that does not come in trans-light-blue and it would be nice to have it in that color.

I would love more unique weapon molds for LOTR such as Anduril and an elven longsword.

If it hasn't been mentioned already, these curved sloped bricks inverted would be fantastic:

95188.jpg?1

58846.jpg?0

88293.jpg?187559.jpg?1

Not to mention that these would be cool inverted too:

50955.jpg?1

42061.jpg?0

45301.jpg?0

Also any other wedges and slopes with a curve that don't yet have an inverted version.

Train, Track Plastic, Narrow, Straight in Dark Stone Grey

Here is the curved version of the part:

85976.jpg

It could use be used in mining sets, like a western or modern mine. Switches in this size & color would also be welcome.

Yes! Absolutely! In dbg or black, a straight counterpart for this curve is now due so I can put a tram in front of my Modulars.

I'm sure its been asked before, but actual clear glass window inserts for the arched window frames would be a treat. Also an opaque standard door with no windows.