Sandy

Heroica RPG - Library

"Your fears are in vain, Raider," Arthur said, stepping from the shadows of the Library. "Sealed here or not, that book's knowledge is not contained. By all means, keep it under watch and guidance, Byblos, but even your vigilance combined with that of this Hero will not be enough." Arthur gently laid down a book on the counter, one of the past Quest records that he'd been reading as he waited. "Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Arthur Justus Regulus VII. I'm a Sorcerer of Heroica." He took a few steps forward, running his finger along the dusty shelves that no Hero besides himself had touched in months. He stopped a few feet away from Guts and leaned on the counter of Byblos' desk. "You do know that's not the only copy of that book, right? And it will not be the last" The Sorcerer laughs, a harsh sound full of both bitterness and mirth. "Take this down, Byblos. Containment is of no use against knowledge. The vigilance must be that of the learner's spirit. Believe me, I know. I know much." Arthur stares down at the black grimoire. "A different guise, but same in spirit. Hello, old 'friend'." Arthur looks up, into the Raider's eyes. "Beware. The danger of this book lies not in what it says, but in what it does not. Bear this in mind, lest your mind bear such burden...forever." Arthur runs a finger over the cover of the book before Guts can yank it away, then melts away into the shadowy corners of the Library once more.

The Metasimian Librarian takes the tome that Guts hands him with intrigue, but when he opens the front cover, his eyes widen with shock.

heroicanpc-byblos.jpg

"This... This is the Pandemonicon! The demonic scriptures of the Moon Elves of Mercution... Where did you get this? I was under the impression that the Wizard Priests of Ennon destroyed every last copy of this book centuries ago. To see one emerge now is worrying indeed, but I suppose it is better that we have it than the Zootists... I will have to find a safe place to store it, though. I do not dare to leave it unguarded."

"Read me, and you shall become the emperor of the whole world..."

heroicanpc-byblos.jpg

"Shut your trap, foul grimoire! I will not listen to your lies!"

Byblos carries the grimoire to the backroom of the library, and locks it away in an iron strongbox. But the next night he lies restless in his bed, listening to the whispers from the book. It calls to him, begs and pleads to share all the knowledge within it with him... Losing all self-control, the librarian gets up, takes the Pandemonicon out of the safe, and begins to read it...

Arthur takes a few steps into the Library, only to find the great room completely dark. An atmosphere of gloom was not uncommon in the closed space, particularly after sunset, but tonight not even a single candle was lit. A dim, nearly-imperceptible glow emanates from a door behind the least-frequented rows, but it was barely enough to navigate by. Arthur takes another step forward. "Byblos?" he calls. "I know that it is quite late, but something in the faces of the Heroes returning to the Hall tells me that something big has happened in Eubric this past Quest. Perhaps unsurprisingly, none of them seem particularly talkative at the moment. I was wondering if you have heard anything more of this? Byblos? Byb-los...?"

The flustered Metasimian comes out of the backroom, tying up his robe.

heroicanpc-byblos.jpg

"Arthur? What are you doing here in this late hour? I was... asleep. Please, come back tomorrow morning. Or in the afternoon, rather. I am busy... with my studies. Yes, my studies of... mapping out the far west. The realm of Terra Chima, and beyond."

It was obvious that the librarian was lying his teeth off.

Arthur gazed piercingly at the Metasimian librarian. "It appears that our organization's latest Quest has touched upon matters far greater than we ever thought we would. I wondered if you had any further knowledge of those events." Taking in the bloodshot eyes, the frizzed hair, the drippings of wax upon the Metasimian's sleeves, Arthur's lips curled into a wry grin. It appears I am correct. "Terra Chima, you say? That's less than a week's nautical voyage from Etheria, the Crystal Island, nexus of Planewalkers and Thaumaturgists, is it not? My father, and his grandfather before him, often traveled to the island in search of the powerful runic essences used to power our town's Portal. They rarely traveled overland, as the Portal gave easy access to Etheria, but from the Elders' records I gather that Etheria is merely two months, by horse and by ship, from my own land--provided, of course, one does not find ill fortune in Daventry, the kingdom to our south. Though our easternmost border lies along the sea, the Dar'stoth Mountains are too treacherous and rocky to allow construction of a port--unless one were to tunnel straight through them, and risk breaking open one of the myriad tunnels that extend from our Temple of Zoot like tendrils of shadow from a monstrous sea creature. Likewise, the sea to the North, and the lands beyond them, are blackened by the fearsome summon of a race of dark Evokers, The Maelstrom, which outsiders say was summoned from the Void itself. Foolishness, of course; if it were a construct of Zoot my ancestors would have bent it to their will centuries ago, but I digress. The only way to enter or leave my land is to the West, which would take one across the Bay of Titans, through trackless wilds and eventually into the lands of the Aoi, or to sail the seas from the South, which as I mentioned is patrolled by the navy of Daventry. A decent people all in all, but their arrogance and over-reliance on rules and tradition puts the followers of Ennoc to shame. The lands and the seas themselves seem to take on the same nature; in their territory, one never knows if the smallest action, the smallest detail, might lead to an unfortunate and gruesome end." Arthur smiles as Byblos' face betrays his complete unfamiliarity with Arthur's information, and his realization of the transparency of his lie. Still, Arthur keeps up the pretense, for the moment, that he does not know what the librarian had been doing. "Perhaps it was misfortune that you chose to speak of a land that I know of, at least by name...or perhaps there it was inevitable. Books like the one that Hero brought in before do have a way of twisting their surroundings to achieve their will." Arthur looks around to see if anyone else is listening. "Just between you and me...has anyone--anyone at all--shown interest in studying that book? I would be more than willing to provide some...guidance. After all, I have experience with such volumes--I read a tome remarkably similar in my youth, and the lessons I learned have stayed with me to this day." Arthur's tone makes clear his knowledge, but his words were carefully crafted to allow the scholar to maintain appearances--just in case someone decided to eavesdrop. "Be warned, though: this sort of knowledge, once learned, is not easily unlearned, and it can be a burden on the spirit to know each and every day. Only the strongest of will, of spirit, may know such secrets and remain themselves. I feel bound, at least, to step in and provide such warnings in a form that may be heard by future potential readers--would you mind helping me to craft such a foreward?" Arthur winks at Byblos, all but saying your secret is safe with me.

Byblos is reluctant to say anything. It seems Arthur already knows too much, but right now the librarian does not bear to think of losing his grasp on the book. Not before he has had a chance to read it cover to cover.

heroicanpc-byblos.jpg

"Come back tomorrow, Arthur. I mean it", Byblos says, more impolitely than he means. He then turns away from the young mage and locks the door of the backroom behind him.

Arthur frowns, concerned, but his attention is distracted by a man in foreign livery exiting the Hall. The Quest... Arthur thinks for a moment, then leaves a note and a worn, well-used journal behind the Metasimian's desk, before returning to Heroica Hall.

To my dear friend Byblos,

It appears that "tomorrow" is a day too late--as I foresaw, I have been selected for a Quest. Let it be known that your field of study is not unknown to me, and I am happy to aid in its expansion and exploration. If you change your mind about what you said last night, and decide you desire assistance in your research, you may reach me by writing in this Journal. Regardless of your decision, please take care of it--it belongs to my good friend De'kra, and I have promised I will return it to him once our Quest is over.

Your fellow in study, and ever your friend,

Arthur Justus Regulus VII

Atramor stepped into the library, a place he hadn't often visited in the past. Recent conversations with certain chickens had brought an odd question to mind, which he voiced to the Metasimian behind the desk.

"By-.....blok?....no....Byblos, that's it. Er, Byblos. Could ya' tell me about this Miracleworker guy? I didn't think necromancers were strictly outlawed in the past.....unless he went farther than that...?"

Atramor stepped into the library, a place he hadn't often visited in the past. Recent conversations with certain chickens had brought an odd question to mind, which he voiced to the Metasimian behind the desk.

"By-.....blok?....no....Byblos, that's it. Er, Byblos. Could ya' tell me about this Miracleworker guy? I didn't think necromancers were strictly outlawed in the past.....unless he went farther than that...?"

heroicanpc-byblos.jpg

"Hmm, the Miracleworker... Now there's an interesting character from Heroica's history. The records I have here tell of him as an ambitious healer from Duplovia, who wanted to reach beyond the grave to try and bring back dead people. Not as living corpses, though, but as the people they once were. I would actually argue against calling him a necromancer at all. Sure, he familiarized himself with necromancy, but his field of research went further than that. Medicine, surgery, archeology, alchemy, blessing, demonology... There was no stone he left unturned as he tried to achieve his ultimate goal. You can probably see now why he was shunned so that he had to disappear. Where he went, nobody knows, but I've heard that the Guild of Invision has kept some of his research documents. I suspect they will deny it if you go ask them, though."

"Huh. Sounds like he was just gettin' too smart for most people to be comfortable with..."

Atramor briefly thanked the librarian, and went back to the main room of the hall.

Arthur stepped back into the Library once more, wondering if Byblos had completed his studies. Nonetheless, he resolved not to bring it up himself.

"Byblos? Do you still have that journal I asked you to hold onto for me?" Catching himself before he asks how the Metasimian's studies had been coming along, he adds, "How are--I mean, who are the people in those strange pictures in the Hall? Do you have any additional information on them?"

Memories:

Amma strolled in the Library. She was impressed by the high shelves with all the books. Would anyone have the time to read all of them?

She was looking for information about a deity named Mercutio. She went to the shelf with containing literature about gods and higher creatures. There was an exemplar of a book about Mercutio. She took it out and began to read.

"God of merchants... moon is his symbol ... playing tricks, cheating, god of thieves..." Amma put the book back into the shelf, feeling disgusted. "Not that kind of God, I'd refer to."

With that Amma wants to leave.

OOC: Sandy, if you want to, you can make Byblos coming in her way, and we can make that little dialog again. If you don't think it is important, Amma has left the building and that dialogue has never happened... :look:

Edited by PsyKater

"Byblos? Do you still have that journal I asked you to hold onto for me?" Catching himself before he asks how the Metasimian's studies had been coming along, he adds, "How are--I mean, who are the people in those strange pictures in the Hall? Do you have any additional information on them?"

Byblos had avoided Arthur ever since he came to inquire about the Pandemonicon. For multiple times now he had sent the young mage away with a few grunts of "being busy", fully aware those were just excuses. The book was his to study, he couldn't let anyone take it away from him! Oh, the wonders the tome had already taught him... Summoning the spawns of Azazot was foolish, Byblos was very aware of that, but the Pandemonicon contained much more than just demonology. It was like a door to the ancient world, when magic ran free and wild, and power belonged to those wise enough to use it.

Rubbing his exhausted eyes, the librarian tore his eyes away from the pages of the book. That was enough for tonight... He was already too deprived of sleep and nutrition. He knew he had to take a break from the book, maybe go out of the city for a while... And leave the Pandemonicon behind?! The very thought of that made the Metasimian shudder. It would find a new keeper in the instant Byblos would leave it. No, the Veterans had entrusted the book to him. He had to make sure it did not fall into the wrong hands.

Byblos looked outside. Chaos was raging there, he could feel the book's rejoice. The word was that Wren had returned to Eubric, and brought the followers of Zoot with her. If she found out that Heroica had the tome in their possession, she would certainly come and take it. He coudn't let that happen.

Closing the book, Byblos took it with him to bed. The whispers lulled him to a nightmare-ridden sleep.

OoC: Just something for the Byblos-fans out there. Here's also a look at his unique job class, coming up in a future quest.

quest-scholarrules.jpg

Benji walks into the library out of boredom and walks up to the metasiminian respectfully. "My dear librarian, do you happen to know anything about the Crystal Titan, the Jade Kraken, or the Obsidian Dragon?"

"My dear librarian, do you happen to know anything about the Crystal Titan, the Jade Kraken, or the Obsidian Dragon?"

heroicanpc-byblos.jpg

"They sound like formidable monsters. Let me see if any of the bestiaries here have information about them..."

Byblos goes to get some thick books from one of the shelves, and opens one so that Benji can see it as well.

"This one has a chapter about titans in general. Hear this: 'Even the giants pale in size to these enormous monstrosities. In the ancient times, entire cities were destroyed by a titan on a rampage. Titans are elemental creatures, roused up from their natural environment by some cosmic power. Rock Titans are the most common, but there are records of Ice Titans, Lava Titans and even Cloud Titans.' It would seem that the titan you are asking about is a gigantic monster comprised of crystals, then."

Byblos opens another tome.

"Sea Monsters and other Nautical Creatures of Lore, written by Otho Bonaparte, a famous sea explorer who lives a hundred years ago. He tells that krakens are among the largest and most vicious of sea creatures, ensnaring whole ships with their tentacles and crushing them into their maws that are filled with hundreds of razor-sharp fangs. Sounds menacing, doesn't it?"

The rest of the books allude to dragons in their titles.

"As for your final request, the Dastanese have extensive records of dragons of every shape, size and color. This one should have a list of them... Neon Dragon, Night Dragon, Obsidian Dragon, here it is! 'Also known as the Onyx Dragon, it is a breed of black dragon distinguishable from its shiny black scales, large size and immensely hot fiery breath. It originates from the Babeleth Darklands, where it nests in scorched wastelands.' Is that enough to satiate your thirst for knowledge?"

"As for your final request, the Dastanese have extensive records of dragons of every shape, size and color. This one should have a list of them... Neon Dragon, Night Dragon, Obsidian Dragon, here it is! 'Also known as the Onyx Dragon, it is a breed of black dragon distinguishable from its shiny black scales, large size and immensely hot fiery breath. It originates from the Babeleth Darklands, where it nests in scorched wastelands.' Is that enough to satiate your thirst for knowledge?"

Benji listens in awe to the metasimian as he reads from the thick books. "The Obsidian Dragon sounds like a most fascinating beast... if you had any other valuable information on it I would love to hear it. I'd assume that it would be classified as an ancient, correct?"

Benji listens in awe to the metasimian as he reads from the thick books. "The Obsidian Dragon sounds like a most fascinating beast... if you had any other valuable information on it I would love to hear it. I'd assume that it would be classified as an ancient, correct?"

heroicanpc-byblos.jpg

"Actually, dragons with fiery breaths are usually classified as fiery and flying. Ancient-type monsters usually hail from primeval times, so I'd imagine the titans could be classified so."

heroicanpc-byblos.jpg

"Actually, dragons with fiery breaths are usually classified as fiery and flying. Ancient-type monsters usually hail from primeval times, so I'd imagine the titans could be classified so."

"How terrifying" Benji fakes a shudder. "Thank you for the information, friend!" Benji exclaims thankfully. "I'll be on my way now. I'm off to the fields, tomrorow."

The door opens and the little dwarf comes in. Stigveladi walks through the walls of books until she finds a book about Charis. She wants to find out more about the history of this land. The confidence the Croisee had shown was imposing and frightening at once.

She looks in the books, if she can find out what power the Croisee urges to do these cruel things, the inhabitants of Charis had told of.

Was there maybe even truth behind the words of the Croise Commander? What had he told? It was possible to have a perfect world? Amma chuckles. That was impossible.

Amma does not find many information about the Croise. There are some things about Charis, she did not know of, but many other things she already knew now. She leans back and thinks of her experiences in Charis. She shakes off her thoughts and puts the books back in the shelf.

On her way out, Amma notices Byblos in another row of shelves. She walks towards him. "Hello,... Mas... Mister. I... I have some other questions. Could you help me out?

I never heard of this Grogmas event before. What is it and what is it for? Why did I get a gift? Did everybody get a gift? Who chose them?

And I have got this Scroll of Inspiration. I have heard from several Scrolls, but this one is new to me. What is its origin? Who 'invented' it? Do you have an idea of what is it worth? And can I use it on myself as well?"

Edited by PsyKater

"Hello,... Mas... Mister. I... I have some other questions. Could you help me out?

I never heard of this Grogmas event before. What is it and what is it for? Why did I get a gift? Did everybody get a gift? Who chose them?

And I have got this Scroll of Inspiration. I have heard from several Scrolls, but this one is new to me. What is its origin? Who 'invented' it? Do you have an idea of what is it worth? And can I use it on myself as well?"

heroicanpc-byblos.jpg

"Oh, greetings! Yes, it was Grogmas Time a month or so ago. It is not really something many people celebrate, since it is originally an orcish festival. But I thought the Veterans explained it all to you already. Grog the Red was an orcish tribal chieftain who once a year gave away gifts from his great horde of treasure to all members of his tribe, as well as to other tribal leaders he wished to keep good relations with. But few knew it was him until one fatal night he was murdered by a greedy rival. After the truth was revealed, a great feud erupted, but the spirit of Grog's generosity lived on to this very day in the form of Grogmas celebrations."

"Hmm, what comes to your scroll, you can of course use it on anyone you choose, even yourself. Scrolls have been used since ancient times by mages and their ilk. Any person connected to the ether flowing all around us can incantate the powerful spells written on the scrolls and cause various effects on the desired target with the use of ether. A scroll such as yours are usually sold for a 100 gold."

"Thank you very much for the information. For the scroll... I will see how it will work out for me.

With that Amma leaves the Library.

Karie creeks the door open a tad and peers into the quiet library. She steps inside, and begins to browse, trying to get her mind off of the previous night's incident. Nothing of interest shows up in her search. She looks through the maps of the area, and after a while takes one of Eubric and walks to the front desk, the librarian reading a thick tome. A Metasimian. She had seen a few before back home, but they weren't commonplace like they seemed to be here. She put the map on the desk and points to an area of the city.

"I was curious about the history of the city's cemetery. Anything of interest behind it, or perhaps recent events? As well, I've noticed a lack of theaters in the area. Are there any large venues in the city worth visiting?" She waits for a response.

Edited by Kintobor

"I was curious about the history of the city's cemetery. Anything of interest behind it, or perhaps recent events? As well, I've noticed a lack of theaters in the area. Are there any large venues in the city worth visiting?"

heroicanpc-byblos.jpg

"Well, the cemetery is actually where the lower class people get buried. The most influential families usually have their own mausoleums or catacombs elsewhere under the city, but a few of them are also situated in the cemetery proper. If you take a leisurely walk there, you can see the gravestones of people who have died up to 400 years ago, back when the small fishing village began to grow into the significant commercial port it is today. As for any recent events, you should go ask Scheherazade upstairs about them. She hears all the good gossip, whereas I rarely leave this library."

"What comes to theaters, there's Bilbert Wigglepike's grand theater in this city, but other than that, you get only the street performers and an occassional visiting group of thespians around here. I hear Pyrian comedy and tragedy is becoming more popular again. It seems people have gotten fed up with William Stirlance's classical plays. There's only so many times you can watch the same balcony scene without getting bored, after all..."