def

What are you reading?

I am reading Riddle of the Beast right now.

For info about grilled islands: http://www.bbqislandsandgrillsonline.com

<I looked a few pages in and saw nothing similar, but we can merge this if there's a similar thread. Post a link and I'll humbly apologize>

I finished Ender in Exile today, the ninth Orson Scott Card novel in the 'Ender-verse' that I've read in two years. Though they definitely suffer diminishing returns, I've been engrossed in them for a while. They are really strangely paced and conceived, the farther they get from the original, Ender's Game, and Card's religion (Mormonism) starts infiltrating the books little by little, which is fair enough as religion will exist in the distant future.

And just two weeks ago, I finished the super-excellent Guns, Germs, and Steel, Jared Diamond's engrossing argument that history can be studied scientifically, that individual human societies aren't really superior over one another so much as they developed in more rewarding areas of Earth, where they can develop immunities, share crops, develop trade, and much much more. A science theory book that is written very much in layman's terms, and a great read for anyone who likes the complexity and trajectory of human culture.

One other book, I've got about 40 pages left of, is Emissaries of the Dead, a sci-fi novel that won the Philip K. Dick award last year. I've been a little bit more into genre work in the last year or two, since I bought Ender's Game, but I don't know that I love this. It seems like a pulp detective novel meshed with extreme sci-fi. The story is a murder mystery set in a moon-sized, hollow, cylindrical space station run by an independent AI intelligence that has created an eco-system for some vague scientific study, and the humans there are a sort of diplomatic study team. Interesting ideas, but I don't know if the plot pulls its own weight.

Next, I'm starting on a Christmas gift I got, Steven Pinker's The Stuff of Thought, which is about how the brain structures and uses language to communicate ideas. Since I teach language for a living, and still am working on my second language, hopefully this is interesting.

I know the community here leans toward genre stuff which is not my specialty, but I like hearing that people read those things, you know, books :wink:

I also want to read the book "Emissaries of the Dead". l heard a lot about this book but there is a problem, i don`t able to find this book in market. Please give me some advice.

Currently reading a Warhammer 40K Space Wolves novel, Battle of the Fang. If you're a W40K fan, especially Space Marines, read it. :thumbup:

The Lego Star Wars Visual Dictionary; surprisingly it's got the majority of the 2011 CW sets et al. in it.

Just picked up LEGO Hero Factory Secret Mission #2: Legion of Darkness. It was OK; not quite as entertaining for me as The Doom Box simply because the plot twists didn't feel quite as interesting and many of the villains simply lacked Core Hunter's unique appeal. Of course, I was only paying half-attention to some parts because I read it while I was on the train, so perhaps on re-reading it I'll get more out of it. Certainly it had good characterization for most of the characters.

Edited by Aanchir

Just got Mark of Athena from the library today, but haven't started reading it. I've got Brink of Chaos by Tim Lahaye, The Spirit Well by Stephen Lawhead, and The Sanctuary by Ted Dekker on my list to read before the end of the year.

In my English class I've started reading "The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao" by Junot Diaz. It's not a bad book IMO. Definitely got some very serious, edgy stuff, but the prologue and first chapter at least offset this with a very loose, irreverent, and colloquial (laced with frequent Spanish words, profanity, and Spanish profanity) narrative style. The second chapter is mixing things up by introducing a different narrator, who's a lot less humorous, but the book is still very engaging.

Edited by Aanchir

I'm reading the Mark of Athena by Rick Riordan. I got it two days ago, I'll probably finish it tommorow.

Edited by Lightning Dragon

Finally got my hands on The Hobbit/LotR. Started The Hobbit today, partly in anticipation for the movie. I've been wanting to read teem for years now, just never got around to buying them. So far, I absolutely love it. I'm only 40 or so pages in, but I love the way Tolkein tells the story. And his way of writing/describing things and people. 8 million :thumbup: from me.

Since I didn't know there was a topic on books on EB forum, I might just add my share. I'm currently reading The Twelfth Card by J. Deaver.

Is it alright to say I'm reading my own book? because I'm currently reading my own book, Survival. its a post-apocalyptic novella set in 2032, after the Event (Major spoiler, not revealing what it is until book 2.)

Is it alright to say I'm reading my own book? because I'm currently reading my own book, Survival. its a post-apocalyptic novella set in 2032, after the Event (Major spoiler, not revealing what it is until book 2.)

Congrats on completing a novel! I hope the best for you down the road of your writing career. :classic:

Personally, I haven't read a book in months. I'm thinking of reading The Hobbit soon.

In my English class I've started reading "The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao" by Junot Diaz. It's not a bad book IMO. Definitely got some very serious, edgy stuff, but the prologue and first chapter at least offset this with a very loose, irreverent, and colloquial (laced with frequent Spanish words, profanity, and Spanish profanity) narrative style. The second chapter is mixing things up by introducing a different narrator, who's a lot less humorous, but the book is still very engaging.

Oh yeah, I read that book for a class too. It was okay, though it wasn't for me.

The fate of the Dwarves by Markus Hertz. I've been waiting a wile for this 4th book to come out, and it's finally here :classic:.

Death on the Nile by Agatha Christie. Great book. Poirot's one of the best characters I've ever read.