Blakstone

Next CUUSOO set: 21103 Back to the Future™ Time Machine

I hope TLG doesn't turn down the exosuit of Mr. Reid just becasue it's currently making mechas in their Creator line.

No worries, there will be a dozen other reasons.

I think Cuusoo really needs to come out and inform people if an idea or model is too large for their concept. Because I honestly do not think that Cuusoo will ever release anything large no matter how big of a demand that there is. In fact the only project that I see them green lighting in the future is the Mars Rover project. And I am even talking about the current top 6 models that are on Cuusoo included with the next batch waiting for review.

They have... Repeatedly.

http://legocuusoo.posterous.com/cheat-sheet-how-to-pass-the-lego-review-with

See #2 and #3 just as a starting point.

As far as the Western Town. Lego probably did not have a choice. Many licenses carry exclusivity clauses as part of the deal. Just as Lego cannot release their in house Pirates line while PotC is active, the LR license probably precludes hem from releasing an unlicensed Western theme or set while the LR license is active. Bad timing killed the MWT. Nothing more. TLG would have had no choice in the matter. Once they signed to make LR stuff the MWT could not be made.

The mars rover is really cool, but I see 2 issues with it:

1. It was in the news all the time back in August when it first made it to Mars, by the time Lego actually make it, and release it for sale, it will be last years news so to speak, the only help for some free PR will be when it goes out of control or it's driven into a ditch and lost forever.

2. I seem to recall the previous Discovery Channel sets including a Mars rover of sorts, and there were many of them in the clearance bin at the end of the year?

I'm not sure any to the next wave of sets will be successful?

Paul

The thing that bothers me about the taking away sales from Lone Ranger, while I obviously don't know the spending habits, but I gave a pretty good idea of AFOLs here(thanks to the bought today thread). For the most part, us AFOLs don't just buyvone set from a theme and call it a day. I know I would've bought MWT and LR sets(once I see them, I'm sure I'll buy them). Again, I wish we knew the voting percentages of kids:AFOLs.

The thing that bothers me about the taking away sales from Lone Ranger, while I obviously don't know the spending habits, but I gave a pretty good idea of AFOLs here(thanks to the bought today thread). For the most part, us AFOLs don't just buyvone set from a theme and call it a day. I know I would've bought MWT and LR sets(once I see them, I'm sure I'll buy them). Again, I wish we knew the voting percentages of kids:AFOLs.

It's not a matter of Lego thinking that the MWT would or would not impact sales of LR sets. It's that by entering into the LR license it precludes them from making a competing unlicensed theme. The actual nature of he set would not come into play. Lego would actually have no control over it.

It's not a matter of Lego thinking that the MWT would or would not impact sales of LR sets. It's that by entering into the LR license it precludes them from making a competing unlicensed theme. The actual nature of he set would not come into play. Lego would actually have no control over it.

Is this known fact, or assumption?

Well, considering that Lone Ranger is a DISNEY license, and how Disney tends to be extreme copyright zealots, then I can say that it's pretty much a given, hence why Pirates was dropped as soon as PoTC came out....

Anyways, I'm really happy that the Delorean is getting made! I'm defintely getting at least two (one for me and one for my wife).

It's not fact since companies don't typically make the details of business agreements public. The vast majority of such licenses do carry exclusivity clauses though so it's pretty safe to assume that such is the case with the LR.

Well, considering that Lone Ranger is a DISNEY license, and how Disney tends to be extreme copyright zealots, then I can say that it's pretty much a given, hence why Pirates was dropped as soon as PoTC came out....

Anyways, I'm really happy that the Delorean is getting made! I'm defintely getting at least two (one for me and one for my wife).

Correction: Pirates was dropped like a year before PotC came out. The cancellation may have still been connected to the development of PotC, but it's also possible that Pirates just ran out of steam on its own.

The problem with the Zelda set was it just wasn't a fleshed out concept, it was a piece of scenery and a list of new molds.

It was what Lego specifically asked from him, what more do you want?

They didn't want the list of pieces, they wanted a set. He gave the concept to them and they accepted it. Then when the project recieved the 10k votes, they still accepted it. The final set concept that Lego asked him for and accepted ideally only had 2 new molds at tops.

-Omi

Edited by Omicron

Two new molds are probably still too much of a cost. Specially because CUSOO sets are not mass produced, so all the sales of the Zelda set would have to cover for the new molds.. I guess it also depends on the "cost I am willing to pay" field people use when supporting a set. If most people's choices were too inexpensive to justify two new molds. Then so be it.

Two new molds are probably still too much of a cost. Specially because CUSOO sets are not mass produced, so all the sales of the Zelda set would have to cover for the new molds.. I guess it also depends on the "cost I am willing to pay" field people use when supporting a set. If most people's choices were too inexpensive to justify two new molds. Then so be it.

Then what about the cost being paid for the royalties given to Matthew J Fox and/or Christopher Lloyd for when/if they make figures for the BTTF set? They have to pay for likeness.

-Omi

Edited by Omicron

Then what about the cost being paid for the royalties given to Matthew J Fox and/or Christopher Lloyd for when/if they make figures for the BTTF set? They have to pay for likeness.

-Omi

Are you certain that those character likenesses are not already owned by Universal Pictures? I doubt the characters in the set(if they are in the set) are going to be named Michael J Fox and Christopher Lloyd. The same could be said about Delorean having to be paid for using the likeness and name of their automobile(Which by the way is now owned by Steve Wynne). Also if you don't mind me asking, out of curiosity, why do you sign your posts? Seems a bit odd signing posts one after the other in the same thread. Especially since your name is right there in the upper left hand corner.

(Note this is an assumption as well) A safe guess is that Lego will probably only consider new molds for CuuSoo projects if and only if they are something that could also easily be used in regular retail sets. So a new building element of some sort. Or something generic?

Are you certain that those character likenesses are not already owned by Universal Pictures?

Characters are, actors aren't. In the toy/game business, if you use an actor's likeness, they recieve royalties. Universal would be paying the actors, and it can up the bill for Lego. If they decide a figs to not be made, that lowers the price.

And I sign my posts because I've been doing it for 9 years on forums, and people always seem to misspell Omicron. It is easier for them to call me Omi.

-Omi

I was disappointed with this outcome. The modular western town was a wonderful project and had got to 10,000 votes through the backing of the AFOL community. To me, the project epistomised what Cuusoo is supposed to be about. Unfortunatly I think it was the victim of circumstance and poor timing. As has been pointed about, Lego's licensing agreement with Disney may have forbidden any similar themes/ sets being produced. I also think in that in retrospect the designer may have been better focusing on a single building. I remember there was a vote on which would be the most popular building and I think that alone should have been put forward to the review stage. Cuusoo seems to be focused on invidual models, I do not see a new theme or sub theme origininating from it.

I was genuinely surprised that the DeLorean passed. I thought the complexities of the licensing agreement might have prevented its production. I think Lego deserve enormous credit for making this happen. Whether it will be sucessful will be very interesting. The film franchise is quite old and it certainly will not have the universal appeal that Minecraft did. I accept that I may be underestimating the affection that people still have for the Back to the Future films. What the set does have in its favour is that it is small and presumably will be relatively cheap (I expect a price of around £20/ $20), therefore anyone who remembers/ enjoyed these films is more likely to make the purchase.

I think its worth offering a couple of observations on Cuusoo in general. The decision to reject the Modular Western Town has undoubtedly alienated some of the AFOL community. I've certainly seen a lot of disappointment, anger and frustration on other websites and I think Lego has work to get those people interested in the concept again. I think the review process takes to long. If the reviews are conducted quarterly then I think it should take no more than three months for a decision to be made. I accept that agreeing licenses can take time but by taking seven months it just kills the enthusiasm people have. Finally, I think it is regrettable that the quarterly review seems to only allow for one set to be produced. I would prefer a system where each set is judged on its merits and those that pass the lego review are produced and those that don't aren't. I dislike the idea of sets being in competition with each other.

As a huge BTTF fan I'm very excited with this development and would certainly be counting the days for the release of this BTTF set! :classic: I'm pretty sure the DeLorean would get a redesign as the submitted model employs illegal techniques not suitable for the stability requirements of official LEGO sets. Can't wait also to see the McFly and Doc Brown figs! :thumbup:

As far as the other ideas that failed to pass the final review, I think it is still a very proud accomplishment for the respective creators to reach the final stage of the CUUSOO process and that should still be a source of pride knowing that the FOL community really supported their ideas (especially for the Modular Western Town which didn't have the "backing" of supporters of the parent license like BTTF, Shaun of the Dead, Eve Online, and Legend of Zelda).

Like many sites, there seems to be a bit of a hysterical over reaction about the Modular Western Town not making it. Some key points people need to remember;

- There are hardly any companies who offer a vehicle like Cuusoo to present ideas back to the companies snr management team. Lego should be applauded for this, not moaned out constantly because your favourite wasn't selected.

- It was 100% the right commercial decision with The Lone Ranger coming out. Sales of the Western Town would have canibalised sales from The Lone Ranger, no question about it.

- If you are that bothered, just have a go at doing a Western Town yourself, this is after all what Lego is all about.

Can we move on now...

Like many sites, there seems to be a bit of a hysterical over reaction about the Modular Western Town not making it. Some key points people need to remember;

- There are hardly any companies who offer a vehicle like Cuusoo to present ideas back to the companies snr management team. Lego should be applauded for this, not moaned out constantly because your favourite wasn't selected.

- It was 100% the right commercial decision with The Lone Ranger coming out. Sales of the Western Town would have canibalised sales from The Lone Ranger, no question about it.

- If you are that bothered, just have a go at doing a Western Town yourself, this is after all what Lego is all about.

Can we move on now...

Amen to that! You are absolutely right on all points.

It was what Lego specifically asked from him, what more do you want?

They didn't want the list of pieces, they wanted a set. He gave the concept to them and they accepted it. Then when the project recieved the 10k votes, they still accepted it. The final set concept that Lego asked him for and accepted ideally only had 2 new molds at tops.

-Omi

Are we talking about the same set concept? Because I see several new molds in it: Link's hat/hair mold, Ganondorf's new hair mold (though come to think of it, some of the LotR orc ears look quite similar... why haven't I seen any customizers repaint/trim them for that purpose yet?), the crystal element, the Master Sword, the Hylian Shield, and the head mold with pointed ears (most visible on Zelda, though I'm assuming Link and Ganondorf also use it).

Ideally these new molds could be reduced; the question as always remains how much can you change the project until it's no longer the project people supported. I imagine the field where Cuusoo asks you to fill in why you like a particular project is a big part of this decision-- after all, if a lot of people filled in "I like the large number of authentic new molds", then that makes it a bit tricky reducing the cost of the final set while staying true to what earned the project many people's support.

Personally, I'm quite grateful that the project was not rejected for licensing reasons. It was not, in my opinion, the best Legend of Zelda project out there, and it is good to know that some of the other Legend of Zelda proposals already posted (or even future proposals-- I'm quite fond of this one which if it were to be proposed would only need two new molds) might still have a chance. For that matter, MINGLES could potentially propose a newer model and be on a better footing than with the previous one, since it's now a lot clearer what it takes to make a successful Cuusoo project (and there are a lot of new molds already available in LEGO that might be applicable where he had previously used his own, more distinctive designs).

Personally, I'm quite grateful that the project was not rejected for licensing reasons. It was not, in my opinion, the best Legend of Zelda project out there, and it is good to know that some of the other Legend of Zelda proposals already posted (or even future proposals-- I'm quite fond of this one which if it were to be proposed would only need two new molds) might still have a chance.

Wow, this artist is fantastic. Thank you so much for linking to his Deviantart page. I'd definitely be willing to help support him as an illustrator, amazing LEGO creations aside. Heck, he even makes Starfox LEGO look appealing, lol.

As far as this Cuusoo mess goes, I think this is the first and last post I'll be making in any of these related message threads. I find the lack of maturity and forethought rather grating, and I've had to stop reading several times. I realize that not everyone can either be or act like a mature, reasonable adult, but its still amazing just how much senselessness is being flung around. :hmpf: I suppose it's just a bit too easy to rant and complain on the internet.

To both come full circle and end on a positive note, I do want to thank you Aanchir, for posting your thoughts in a constructive, thoughtful manner whenever possible. People like you make frequenting fan message boards a much more pleasant experience. (And I've managed to learn quite a bit as well.) Thanks!

Edited by Crownie

First Lego Set that only AFOLs will buy. I mean, I didn't even know their once was a tv show called Back To The Future! And the car looks rubbish IMO. Actually, I have no idea why I am having this rant, as these sets don't make it to NZ. (We lack a Lego Store)

EDIT: iPod keyboards are really small and you make typos.

Edited by Devorath

They have... Repeatedly.

http://legocuusoo.po...ego-review-with

See #2 and #3 just as a starting point.

As far as the Western Town. Lego probably did not have a choice. Many licenses carry exclusivity clauses as part of the deal. Just as Lego cannot release their in house Pirates line while PotC is active, the LR license probably precludes hem from releasing an unlicensed Western theme or set while the LR license is active. Bad timing killed the MWT. Nothing more. TLG would have had no choice in the matter. Once they signed to make LR stuff the MWT could not be made.

Now this makes sense :thumbup:

Where do they sell Cuusoo sets?

Shop at home

Edited by Sebeus I