My second render:

8271364540_60cf02209d_z.jpg

"Oni" Class Defender Render by vynsane, on Flickr

This one took half as long, because I followed the advice here about up-converting the pixel dimensions and not using anti-aliasing. It still took 7hrs 15mins or so. I also used two lights - one left, 70% w/shadow, and one top 40% w/o shadow, per bbbqq's post. It ended up a bit dark and I turned the brightness up in Photoshop afterward. I think I could have brightened it some more, frankly.

Edited by vynsane

I have a problem.

For a time LDD2PovRay and PovRay worked very fine, but now they are making problems.

PovRay is complaining about a write-protected volume "LDD to POV-Ray Includes in \Device\00000007f". I should remove the protection, but i have no idea how.

I had some problems to add Library_Path="\\.\LDDIncludes" in my .ini file, if that's relevant...

I restored my pc, but the problem remains.

PovRay is complaining about a write-protected volume "LDD to POV-Ray Includes in \Device\00000007f". I should remove the protection, but i have no idea how.

I had some problems to add Library_Path="\\.\LDDIncludes" in my .ini file, if that's relevant...

The volumne is really read only and POV-Ray should not try to write there. You may skip adding Library_Path=\\.\LDDIncludes to any ini file if use ini files generated by the converter, because they contain it and it is sufficient.

Try to go to Options menu, Script I/O Restrictions, select Restrict Read and Write, and have both "Permist Writting in Current Directory" and "Disable Starting Other Programs" checked.

hrontos - I've started a Flickr group devoted to LDD to POVRay Converter renders. I took the liberty of using the logo from your site for the group icon. Please let me know if you are unhappy about this and I will remove it. You may want to link to the group from your site for further hands-free promotion (instead of adding them to your gallery page manually).

I took a look at the gallery today and it was really a good idea to create it. Some of the renders look really good.

Also your first two renders look very good. :thumbup:

That strange artifact you mentioned is related the way the brick is modeled. When triangles related to studs are removed from the geometry, the brick contains hole, which is square and you see the points of that square there.

Edited by hrontos

I cant' help me, either I get

"Possible Parse Error: Cannot find file 'ldd_colors_declarations.bin', even after trying to append file type

extension."

or this:

"pvengine(-sse2).exe-Access denied

Device is write-protected and can be written. Remove write-protection from LDD to POV-Ray Includes in Device\00000079."

This Error appears in many forms, sometimes pvengine-sse2.exe, sometimes pvengine.exe.

Error disappears when I'm not using the direct .ini files of the generator, if i use the files stored on my pc directly with POV-Ray, i get the first error.

It seems that my Library_Path=\\.\LDDIncludes is wrong, here's a picture of my povray.ini.

unbenannt.png

Is it ok?

Edited by _bIG_fM_

I cant' help me, either I get

"Possible Parse Error: Cannot find file 'ldd_colors_declarations.bin', even after trying to append file type

extension."

or this:

"pvengine(-sse2).exe-Access denied

Device is write-protected and can be written. Remove write-protection from LDD to POV-Ray Includes in Device\00000079."

This Error appears in many forms, sometimes pvengine-sse2.exe, sometimes pvengine.exe.

Error disappears when I'm not using the direct .ini files of the generator, if i use the files stored on my pc directly with POV-Ray, i get the first error.

It seems that my Library_Path=\\.\LDDIncludes is wrong, here's a picture of my povray.ini.

Is it ok?

Yes, this is ok. Could you, please, show me output from your messages pane? And also tell me your physical path to includes (what you specified in the Settings dialog of the converter). Includes and converted pov files cannot be in the same directory.

Is there anything i can do for a render thats stuck at 99%?

If it helps me find out why its taking so long, its been stuck at rendered 2072576 of 2073600 pixels (99%)

Edited by Seluryar

Is there anything i can do for a render thats stuck at 99%?

If it helps me find out why its taking so long, its been stuck at rendered 2072576 of 2073600 pixels (99%)

Is there some complex transparent area there? It is possible, that it will take longer, than you might expected.

When it will not move one, stop it, add Continue_Trace=On to the ini file you used for the render or +C switch to command line text field in POV-Ray. Rendering will continue. I recommend to backup the .pov-state file created for this pov file, just for the case it will not continue (if you do not specify the continue switch/option properly).

Is there some complex transparent area there? It is possible, that it will take longer, than you might expected.

When it will not move one, stop it, add Continue_Trace=On to the ini file you used for the render or +C switch to command line text field in POV-Ray. Rendering will continue. I recommend to backup the .pov-state file created for this pov file, just for the case it will not continue (if you do not specify the continue switch/option properly).

Can you have more than one command in that text field? I already have Library_Path="\\.\LDDIncludes" in there

Can you have more than one command in that text field? I already have Library_Path="\\.\LDDIncludes" in there

Yes, you can. No special separator is necessary, space as separator is good enough.

How should this program work? When I convert anything, POVray cannot run the rendering, because it misses several files like "ldd_default_colors.inc" and such.

I converted files using L3PAO before (I'm very novice) and the rendering in POVray worked perfectly, the results weren't sufficient though, the surface is always too glassy.

How should this program work? When I convert anything, POVray cannot run the rendering, because it misses several files like "ldd_default_colors.inc" and such.

I converted files using L3PAO before (I'm very novice) and the rendering in POVray worked perfectly, the results weren't sufficient though, the surface is always too glassy.

Did you try keeping the converter running while you use povray?

Did you try keeping the converter running while you use povray?

Yes. Now, it stopped here: #include "ldd_main.bin"

Yes. Now, it stopped here: #include "ldd_main.bin"

You need POV-Ray 3.7, RC3, RC5 or RC6, converter must be running. Make sure you have the "Create INI file" checked on the last tab. Click convert and then Yes, to start the POV-Ray and start the rendering. This is the simpliest way to make first rendering.

If you will not succeed, please, post the data from the messages tab from the POV-Ray.

You need POV-Ray 3.7, RC3, RC5 or RC6, converter must be running.

Yes, I didn't have POVRay 3.7, only 3.6. Now it works, and it's wonderful. :classic:

Alienwar9's 26,000 pcs LDD MOC, This rendering need 8 GB of RAM.

Right light 60%, top light 33% no shadow, normal radiosity.

2 hrs 26 min: All parts = basic LDD geometry, 4096 x 3072 noAA.

1 hrs 24 min: Non-trans parts = visible bevels only, 2048 x 1563 AA. (maximum level & 4096 x 3072 noAA run out of 8 GB RAM after parsing).

There are about 26,000 pieces include 1,000 trans pieces. I think it will take forever or hang, if render all of them with a maximum level of details.

8320555676_30650d4c9b_c.jpg

alienwar9 26000 pcs LDD by Nachapon S., on Flickr

Edited by bbqqq

So you rendered it with a maximum level of details? I tried it with only basic LDD geometry.

I added more description above that picture, please take a look.

Edited by bbqqq

Thanks to everyone involved in creating these programs. I downloaded everything yesterday and have been having lots of fun building and rendering. Been working on a model of my house, but was very impressed with this mini Avengers Quinjet (30162) I built...

Quinjet.jpg