Hello,

Here is my first train MOC. It is a 1480 part cable car. I did it yesterday.

Well, I won't be able to make it with actual bricks. Because some the parts may not exist in the color I need.

These pics are LDD screenshots. But renders would be better.

If someone is ok to make nice renders, I can supply the LDD file. Email me at setechnic[at]gmail[dot]com

752087501.jpg

550977842.jpg

215157483.jpg

875127164.jpg

220516375.jpg

171119736.jpg

605417606.jpg

307924887.jpg

790455828.jpg

443765729.jpg

What do you think about it ?

Any suggestion regarding the color scheme is welcome.

Edited by Anio

What can we say! Should be a great model for one or all LEGO park(s)!

Nice model! A pity indeed that some parts are unavailable in the right colours.

Th cable car has some very nice lines. The window with top arches are a great detail!

And I think the dark red with gold windows is the best colour combination although dark blue is also not that bad.

So how does this actually work? You have made a wonderful model with lots of details on it which looks fantastic, but have called it a cable car? I always think of cable cars as things that transfer people up and down mountains which this is obviously not. I am wondering, near where I live we have some ferry boats that run on chains. These chains span the whole distance of where they run and the boats somehow pull themselves along on them. I am guessing your cable car does something similar but I cannot see where the cables come in and go out? As I said it is a good model and very detailed, but I would like to know how they work in the real world?

These run in San Francisco. The cable that pulls it along runs under the road surface and the cable car grips the cable through a groove that runs through the street.

This page gives a good description that isn't too technical; http://wiki.answers...._mechanism_work

Also, I must say that the MOC is awesome. Looks spot on!

Edited by AC_

Thank you for your comments guys. :)

Regarding the parts not available, I did not check.

But I would say more or less all the golden parts, some dark blue/red/green parts, and many dark tan parts.

I think the correct term is a trolly... but could also be called a street car.... nice detailed look.

I love the dark red, but the blue is also nice

I think the correct term is a trolly... but could also be called a street car.... nice detailed look.

Nope, it is indeed a cable car (though it might be viewed as a subset of streetcars). For a quick history see here. They pre-date electric streetcars by a few decades. First came horse drawn omnibuses, then came horse cars, then came cable cars, then came electric trollies. The cars are unpowered and grip a cable that runs in a slot under the street. You can imagine how much of a pain it is to keep all of that mechanics working. Cable cars survived for a few decades in some cities after electric trollies became dominant because of their ability to climb hills, and only remain in San Francisco today. While it might look hokey and touristy, I highly recommend riding them if you are ever in San Francisco (though go in the evening to avoid the 1 hr wait in line during the day), Powell-Hyde is the best of the lines.

As another bit of useless trivia, the Washington DC streetcar system used a similar slot in the street only they put the "overhead power line" under the pavement.

Nice job, I used to take one all the time when I lived in SF...was fun, I had a Muni fast pass. Now its $$$ hehe... Is there a bell in the model?

(I'm not an moderator so please tell me if I should leave this to others) this is a pretty old topic and according to the guidelines reviving such old topics isn't aloud here?! I don't think most people look at postdates (I also never did untill i started to accidentally revive topics) and i thought this was a new topic as wel.

(I'm not an moderator so please tell me if I should leave this to others) this is a pretty old topic and according to the guidelines reviving such old topics isn't aloud here?! I don't think most people look at postdates (I also never did untill i started to accidentally revive topics) and i thought this was a new topic as wel.

I'm fairly new around here, and think that is simply just a stupid rule. Mostly because I've seen some great older topics, only because people commented on them after a long time.

Fair, topics should not be 'bumped' simply with a 'me too' comment, but besides that, the rule is stupid (in my mind).

It's called a forum so people can communicate, and if someone don't wanna look at older topics, they are free to skip them.

And if that rule is any serious, moderators should lock all topics after some time and 'archive' them.. but what a shame that would be...

Edited by marook

I'm fairly new around here, and think that is simply just a stupid rule. Mostly because I've seen some great older topics, only because people commented on them after a long time.

Fair, topics should not be 'bumped' simply with a 'me too' comment, but besides that, the rule is stupid (in my mind).

It's called a forum so people can communicate, and if someone don't wanna look at older topics, they are free to skip them.

And if that rule is any serious, moderators should lock all topics after some time and 'archive' them.. but what a shame that would be...

The rule is in place for a reason, that being to make sure people aren't posting just to up their post counts. There is a fine line for us to decide how to enforce it. As fine a line as there is between "Hi, I'm reviving this topic because I just found it and think the creation is amazing. Maybe everyone should have a chance to see it again." And "w0wz!!1 *oh2*:monkey: " But when in doubt, do what you did and report it to us. :thumbup:

hello Anio it's fntastic can i have a file LDD for your tram

That being said, please reference the site guidelines in my signature below. We do have posting standards which consist of not treating our boards the way you would a texting conversation. Proper grammar, within reason, is expected.

hello Anio it's fntastic can i have a file LDD for your tram

You could PM Anio but you can only use that option if you are around here a bit longer. Welcome to Eurobricks, why don't you also introduce yourself in the introduction forum and of course also welcome to "Train Tech".

About the model:

I did not see this model in the parks yet. Last saturday I was in Billund and last week I was in Günzbürg but the models came nowhere near this one I'm afraid. The enormous amounts of glue and the strange wheels were a little scary in my opinion but there were also some nice train models especially the German Köfs.

Oh man, you have some talent!!!!

I know ! :grin:

Just kidding.

I did not see this model in the parks yet.

Well, I did not copied it from any Legoland park, so it is not surprising you didn't see it there. :)

Is this a 10 wide train? can you share your LDD file?

I do not remember exactly what width it is. It is just like the construction "wanted" it to be. Maybe it's 8L.

I just did that model quickly for fun, so I didn't take any technical aspect such as the width into account. Width is what it is...

For the LDD file, see first post.

PS : it is pretty amazing that it is the first time I browse this thread for 3 years to show it to a relative, and it got bumped only 3 days ago ! What a coincidence ! *oh2*

Well, I did not copied it from any Legoland park, so it is not surprising you didn't see it there. :)

Well I was more suggesting that I was surprised that between 2012 and now the designers in Billund and Ginzburg did not copy your MOC ;)