LEGOman273

Star Wars: The Clone Wars - Season 5 Discussion

WTF?! *huh* Is this the creepiest character in the Star Wars universe and strangest parody of Q ever or what?

Ah Q from James Bond, not Q from Star Trek.

Makes much more sense now :grin:.

*have been on Darth Maul Withdrawal since episode 2 of Star Wars: The Clone Wars Season 5* why did they have to make a 4 part arc about the most boring characters ever, the droids.

Am i the only one who thinks that this season sucks!? The first episode was such a tease with how good it was with Darth Maul and Savage Oppress, and then they immediately go to a below average arc about rebels, and then they follow up with a long and boring story arc about younglings, I mean seriously? younglings? So they follow that up with a probably equally long and even more boring story arc about astromechs. They really need a good long story with mainly clones like the umbara arc to save this season. I can't wait for the next arc which will undoubtedly have Jar-Jar and/or political debates. :hmpf_bad: This is all my opinion, you don't have to agree with me, but I hope I'm not the only one thinks of this season like this.

i don't think this will be another 4 episode arc because the ending of this week's episode made me think a bit that there's only going to be one episode in the droid arc since their goal was to get the sensor module and they got it so if this arc is 4 episodes long then the next 3 episodes will be a waste.

i don't think this will be another 4 episode arc because the ending of this week's episode made me think a bit that there's only going to be one episode in the droid arc since their goal was to get the sensor module and they got it so if this arc is 4 episodes long then the next 3 episodes will be a waste.

Yeah I know. I posted that before I saw the end of the episode, but everything else I said still stands.

Well, the episode wasn't quite as horrible as I thought it would be, but that's because my expectations couldn't have been lower and there was no way to make it through this episode without not taking it seriously. :tongue:

Am i the only one who thinks that this season sucks!?

Don't worry, you're not alone my friend. :sadnew:

I wish it was that way, but as they said in the beginning of the episode, retrieving the encryption module was only phase 1. They still need to decrypt Grievous' message, find out what he's planning, and stop him. :sceptic: After all, we have yet to see

(which I assume will be the next episode) and the
, which might spice this arc up a bit, but I'm sure it wont save it. It doesn't look like the commando will be in the next episode, so I guess we'll have to wait to see both him and Maul/Death Watch until next year. :hmpf_bad:

Well, the episode wasn't quite as bad as I thought it would be, but that's because my expectations couldn't have been lower and there was no way to make it through this episode without not taking it seriously. :tongue:

Don't worry, you're not alone my friend. :sadnew:

I wish it was that way, but as they said in the beginning of the episode, retrieving the encryption module was only phase 1. They still need to decrypt Grievous' message, find out what he's planning, and stop him. :sceptic: After all, we have yet to see

(which I assume will be the next episode) and the
, which might spice this arc up a bit, but I'm sure it wont save it. It doesn't look like the commando will be in the next episode, so I guess we'll have to wait to see both him and Maul/Death Watch until next year. :hmpf_bad:

Thanks Oky! :wink: Maybe we'll get some good episodes once Young Justice and Green Lantern return (btw I'm still angry about that CN :angry: ).

Well, the episode wasn't quite as horrible as I thought it would be, but that's because my expectations couldn't have been lower and there was no way to make it through this episode without not taking it seriously. :tongue:

I think it was a better droid episode than the season 4 droid episodes. I found the doctor a bit too weird and hard to believe that the Jedi would actually employ this character.

I don't think we'll see too much clone action any time soon. We know, though, that framing Order 66 will be part of the series. So my hope is that it will be shown how the warfare is intensified to send as many Jedi as possible to the frontlines, in order to make Order 66 an effective tool to destroy the Jedi order (hm, quite many "orders" here; I think I'm lacking synonyms).

I actually really enjoyed the younglings arc. And I've come to notice that the seasons of this show seem to have generally bad episodes during the first half, and then in the new year they get to the stuff people want to see. I hope Maul gets a four part arc, but I feel like Maul, as interesting as he is, shouldn't stay past this season. I think Sidious will deal with him by the end of this season, and it would be nice if there were no cliffhangers at the end. I think what season six needs is a constant underlying threat that slowly gets developed throughout the season and then culminates at the end in some epic story arc that paves the way for ROTS.

I thought the rebles was a good story arch, and the young jedi was phenominal, but wow, these last 2 droids episodes were as bad as batman 3.

I thought the rebles was a good story arch, and the young jedi was phenominal, but wow, these last 2 droids episodes were as bad as batman 3.

I liked Batman 3 a lot (the German voice of Bane really, really sucked, but that's a different point). I think though that the various symbolisms have to be understood. Anyway, I found the latest episode entertaining, but a bit boring. I don't see the point of watching the squad moving through "the void" for an entire episode, and I lack the motivation to look for it. Maybe someday else.

So parts 3 and 4 aren't until January? I guess I should hold off on watching parts 1 and 2 then.

That way I can get the story arc done with in one sitting! :laugh:

Am I the only one who liked this episode? I thought the dark humor, philosophy, and mature themes were a huge improvement over the previous episode, and considering that this was an episode about nothing, they did a decent job.

And does it surprise anyone that this episode was George's idea and that most of the CW crew didn't even want to do it? Check out the featurette to see what I'm talking about.

considering that this was an episode about nothing, they did a decent job.

I know they have to do what George wants them to do, but I'm rating episodes based on how they compare to other TCW episodes, not based on how they executed what was written in the script. No matter who's really at fault for this story or how well the animating team or the TCW team apart from George did; an "episode about nothing" isn't "decent".

I thought the dark humor, philosophy, and mature themes were a huge improvement over the previous episode, and considering that this was an episode about nothing, they did a decent job.

Yes, but why make an episode about nothing? Well, because George felt like it, that's why, but that's not a good explanation.

I watched the featurette, and the writer was exactly right about there being stakes… in the first episode. The hero droids had a mission to complete, and the Seperatist droids were actually a threat in the zero-gravity-fight sequence. In this episode, though, all stakes were gone. We don't actually know more about why the Republic needs the chip or what they will do with it. If they had cut away to scenes of some Republic commanders monitoring the mission, losing track of the droids because they got lost in the void, and becoming worried about getting the chip (which would provide room for some exposition about why they need it), that would've been a good episode. They probably wouldn't have needed more than five minutes of screen time to do that, adding some sense of urgency to the droids' wanderings and still leaving plenty of time for the battle of egos, existential crisis stuff.

Instead, what we get is 22 minutes of droids in the void, with Gascon mentioning the mission from time to time, and that's it. We can't feel the urgency, there are no stakes, and the episode is pointless.

Now that I mention cutting away to Republic commanders, I really have to wonder why the writers didn't do it. From the amount and tier of the Jedi standing around in the briefing at the beginning of the first episode, this seems like quite an important mission. Wouldn't somebody care that the droids have gotten lost, and shouldn't we, the audience, see that first-hand? Just another example of poor story telling in this show…

Am I the only one who liked this episode? I thought the dark humor, philosophy, and mature themes were a huge improvement over the previous episode, and considering that this was an episode about nothing, they did a decent job.

I loved this episode! It was very fun. Then again, I've liked all the S5 episodes so far and I can't see that changing as we've got some great things to come. :wink:

Well that was a waste of 22 minutes of my life. The only semi-decent part with a bit of tension was when they came out of hyperdrive and had to dodge comets/repair the ship.

Whoever thought that dumping a bunch of comedy characters on a barren planet and having them go around in circles was a good idea shouldn't be allowed to touch the franchise again (Oh it was George? Guess he's taken himself out of the equation for us - at last.)

I know they have to do what George wants them to do, but I'm rating episodes based on how they compare to other TCW episodes, not based on how they executed what was written in the script. No matter who's really at fault for this story or how well the animating team or the TCW team apart from George did; an "episode about nothing" isn't "decent".

Well, I usually do that too, but I made an exception in this case because I don't think this episode can really be compared to any of the other TCW episodes. It has a completely different approach, concept, and tone, so all I could do is judge it by its execution.

Yes, but why make an episode about nothing? Well, because George felt like it, that's why, but that's not a good explanation.

I watched the featurette, and the writer was exactly right about there being stakes… in the first episode. The hero droids had a mission to complete, and the Seperatist droids were actually a threat in the zero-gravity-fight sequence. In this episode, though, all stakes were gone. We don't actually know more about why the Republic needs the chip or what they will do with it. If they had cut away to scenes of some Republic commanders monitoring the mission, losing track of the droids because they got lost in the void, and becoming worried about getting the chip (which would provide room for some exposition about why they need it), that would've been a good episode. They probably wouldn't have needed more than five minutes of screen time to do that, adding some sense of urgency to the droids' wanderings and still leaving plenty of time for the battle of egos, existential crisis stuff.

Instead, what we get is 22 minutes of droids in the void, with Gascon mentioning the mission from time to time, and that's it. We can't feel the urgency, there are no stakes, and the episode is pointless.

Now that I mention cutting away to Republic commanders, I really have to wonder why the writers didn't do it. From the amount and tier of the Jedi standing around in the briefing at the beginning of the first episode, this seems like quite an important mission. Wouldn't somebody care that the droids have gotten lost, and shouldn't we, the audience, see that first-hand? Just another example of poor story telling in this show…

You're obviously not getting the point of this episode. It was an attempt to make a unique episode by taking all the Jedi and war stuff out of it and making it as minimalistic as possible, so cutting away to Jedi discussing the war would completely go against that goal. We already know why the Republic needs the module (the narrator said in the previous episode that they need it to decode a message from Grievous in order to reveal his plan) we just need to know what it will reveal to the Republic, but we wont know that until they have delivered the module, so that's for another episode.

This episode is meant to stand on its own, much like Secret Weapons, even though both of these episode are within the same story arc. The stakes are still there since the Republic is still relying on the droids to complete their mission in order to win the war, so everything depends on D-Squad to make it out of the Void and deliver the module as Gascon keeps reminding us. The desperate tone in his voice conveys the urgency quite well in my opinion, so the stakes are presented in a much more subtle way, which is one of the things that make this episode so remarkable.

As for why the Republic hasn't sent help yet, I don't think D-Squad has been in the Void for more than a day, so it probably hasn't been long enough for the Jedi to start worrying. I'm sure they will start getting suspicious in the next episode and send help (how else would the Republic Commando end up in the Void?).

So, as I said before, this episode was an experiment to make a completely new and different kind of episode by taking a minimalistic approach. It may not have advanced the story arc in which it takes place and may not be the greatest TCW episode, but it wasn't trying to. It just did its own thing, and I think it did it well. It's this kind of pioneering that made Star Wars great in the first place and I appreciate their effort in trying to make art for art's sake rather than just trying to make a decent TV show. It is unfortunate that apparently not many others can appreciate it.

I loved this episode! It was very fun. Then again, I've liked all the S5 episodes so far and I can't see that changing as we've got some great things to come. :wink:

Well, at least I'm not alone on this one. And yes, the second half does seem to be much better than the first, so I hope they wont let us down.

This was the worst episode ever! I almost started acting like the Admiral grushopper - or whatever that thing is. Oh no, wait there seems to be even something worse - the arc has not finishe yet ...

In general this season is as dull as it gets ... I mean come on, Star Wars is about Jedi and lightsabers or at least about Clones and shooting. I need more action. I do believe it might get better with the chancelor fighting Maul and stuff, but so far ... it will hardly beat any of the previous seasons.

As for why the Republic hasn't sent help yet, I don't think D-Squad has been in the Void for more than a day, so it probably hasn't been long enough for the Jedi to start worrying. I'm sure they will start getting suspicious in the next episode and send help (how else would the Republic Commando end up in the Void?).

The commando was probably already there... Probably another desserter or whatever Rex calls them.

Now onto the episode, I actually thought that this was one of the good ones of the season. I like how the alien guy tries to suicide at one point - I thought it was a kid's show. :p

Edited by TheRedGuy

From what I've heard, Gregor's already on the planet. He's not help sent by the Jedi Council, he's in the very village we see the Droids entering at the end of the episode!

This what StarWars.com says about the planet:

"A remote world in the Outer Rim Territories, Abafar is scarcely populated. It is dominated by vast stretches of featureless desert under oppressive orange skies. The strange regolith that covers the surface twists light in such a way as to obscure shadows and leave no tracks. Particulates in the atmosphere cause the sunlight to diffuse into a uniform orange glow, so it is nearly impossible to tell direction or time of day. The huge stretches of featureless expanse are known as The Void. Pons Ora is one of the few settlements on Abafar, and it is the site of a Rhydonium mining installation operated by the Separatists during the Clone Wars."

Here's a description of the next episode, "Missing in Action":

"The stranded droids find out that Abafar is controlled by the Separatists. However, they find a valuable ally in the Clone Commander Gregor, who is stranded as well."

Sounds about right from what we know of the arc. Of course, Gregor is a commando, not a commander.

I actually thought that this was one of the good ones of the season. I like how the alien guy tries to suicide at one point - I thought it was a kid's show. :p

Thank you! Someone who actually agrees with me! He wasn't really trying to kill himself, that's just what WAC thought, and this is not the first time we've seen signs of suicide on this show (Father, that Death Watch terrorist, and a few clones sacrificed themselves), but it's still remarkable since it was mentioned quite often throughout the episode. Plus they said the word "die" a few times too, which is usually a no-no in kids shows.

Here's a description of the next episode, "Missing in Action": SNIP

Sounds about right from what we know of the arc. Of course, Gregor is a commando, not a commander.

Uhm, spoilers? Also, where did you get that description? I guess it makes sense, but it would have made more sense if the republic sent him. And couldn't he be a commando commander?