JeagerEX

Ordering from 3rd party websites

Anyways ordering any LEGO minifigures from 3rd party websites that is not trusted could be receive a minifig with bad quality or wrong parts? That was happened to me when I ordered a LEGO Agents Dyna-Mite minifig, it came with red pants instead of black.

I know TLG warns any consumers for buying individual parts and minifigs from the 3rd party websites.

Edited by JeagerEX

Can you give some example of 3rd party websites?

From which site you've got the minifig with the wrong pants?

Bricklink is considered third party isn't it?! I often order at bricklink and almost never get disappointed.

For new stuff, I stick to the main big name channels (S@H, Amazon (itself, not partner vendors), etc).

When it comes to "open stock" (new, used, whatever - if it isn't in the factory sealed box, it's open) I only do business via Bricklink and even then I prefer to return to venders I've dealt with before (but obviously had to start somewhere).

I actively avoid dealing with internet shops I've never heard of or odd lots from ebay or Craigslist. It's not that I think those venues are intentionally dishonest (though I've heard plenty of horror stories "new" kits missing mini-figures etc.) I'm just not convinced that a lot of those sellers actually know what they've got and may misrepresent their product without even realizing it. Every Bricklink vender I've deal with, however, knows and loves LEGO and makes a serious effort to make sure every order I make is fulfilled to my satisfaction.

I agree, Bricklink has been a success as far as I can tell. Each time I've ordered, I've been pleased with descriptions and prices. Granted I only shop at stores that have the best price for what I need, so I guess that is part of it. But typically I prefer to shop directly with LEGO so they can make the profit instead of some other retailer. I rarely eBay or bricklink, but when I do I do plenty of research and ask questions to know what I am receiving.

This year I've used Bricklink extensively to help me emerge from my Dark Ages. I've ordered 21 times from seven different stores and only had one minor glitch with an order. I bought it to the stores' attention and it was promptly addressed.

I was somewhat dubious about BL before I started using the service, but I like the way it works and prefer it to eBay and even prefer it to ordering direct from Lego (too high a unit price, too long a delivery time, and a limited choice).

I'be never had an issue with Bricklink. The site managers there do a good job of enforcing honest representation of the product offered, and a strong feedback system that actually has an effect. Plus everyone there knows what they are dealing with Lego wise.

E-bay is the Wild West. You never know what you are going to get, and those too good to be true deals are often just that. At the very least expect that the quality of any parts bought from eBay are substantially worse that described.

Never ever buy a set from either Bricklink or more importantly E bay, if it is still available for online purchase from a first party merchant. S@h, amazon, Walmart.com, TRU.com etc. the drop ship scam runs rampant.

Never ever buy a set from either Bricklink or more importantly E bay, if it is still available for online purchase from a first party merchant. S@h, amazon, Walmart.com, TRU.com etc. the drop ship scam runs rampant.

While I agree that Ebay should generally be avoided for new sets, I have to disagree with this statement for Bricklink. It really depends on where you are in the world. It probably wouldn't make sense to buy new sets from Bricklink if you're in the USA, for example, but it makes a lot of sense if you're in Australia for two main reasons - price and timing. As an example, I purchased a range of the (then) new wave of Friends sets in January this year through Bricklink. They arrived a couple of months before the sets were even released in Australia and all up the cost (including postage and insurance) was less than the retail price here. I will probably be doing the same again this year.

Bricklink does get its share of drop ship scammers, but they are usually weeded out pretty quickly. And are usually identified through the telltale signs - large number of new sets for sale, at a low price, low feedback and little if no other parts or gear in the store. There are plenty of honest sellers to choose from on Bricklink.

Like others have said at least with bricklink you're dealing with people like us, its only Lego and people generally know fair market value and the value to a Lego fan. EBay on the other hand is people who looked up that set a is popular so sell it for a crazy price or not know the correct terminology, and shipping practices, and whatnot

While I agree that Ebay should generally be avoided for new sets, I have to disagree with this statement for Bricklink. It really depends on where you are in the world. It probably wouldn't make sense to buy new sets from Bricklink if you're in the USA, for example, but it makes a lot of sense if you're in Australia for two main reasons - price and timing. As an example, I purchased a range of the (then) new wave of Friends sets in January this year through Bricklink. They arrived a couple of months before the sets were even released in Australia and all up the cost (including postage and insurance) was less than the retail price here. I will probably be doing the same again this year.

Bricklink does get its share of drop ship scammers, but they are usually weeded out pretty quickly. And are usually identified through the telltale signs - large number of new sets for sale, at a low price, low feedback and little if no other parts or gear in the store. There are plenty of honest sellers to choose from on Bricklink.

There are plenty of honest dealers, but the telltales are much harder to pick up these days. They don't always use obviously too good to be true pricing anymore. Since the end point of the scam is you receiving stolen goods with you being the only detectable point in the chain, it remains a huge danger. The only true way to avoid it is to limit yourself to direct retail vendors while the sets are current. Trying to get around harsh local pricing such as in Australia makes you hugely susceptible for this type of scam.

There are plenty of honest dealers, but the telltales are much harder to pick up these days. They don't always use obviously too good to be true pricing anymore. Since the end point of the scam is you receiving stolen goods with you being the only detectable point in the chain, it remains a huge danger. The only true way to avoid it is to limit yourself to direct retail vendors while the sets are current. Trying to get around harsh local pricing such as in Australia makes you hugely susceptible for this type of scam.

All very good points and I must admit that the telltale signs I listed were for the more obvious scammers. They do get smarter over time.

You've summed it up in your last sentence. While we continue to have the very high prices in Australia (and other countries), we will be looking for online vendors to get our LEGO fixes. Strictly speaking, you're right that the only way to avoid scammers is to limit ourselves to direct retail vendors. However, you can reduce the chances of being the victim of scam by doing a little homework before hitting the "buy" button.

I should qualify that I've never bought a big set (e.g. Town Hall, R2-D2) through Bricklink and most of my Bricklink orders are under $50. For the big sets, I've sucked up the ridiculous prices and bought directly from LEGO, because it feels safer and there is something nice about a great big box directly from TLG waiting for you when you get home from work! I am yet to try Amazon, but am considering it for the Arkham Asylum. If I do so, it would only be from Amazon itself (and not a third party seller on Amazon).