CorneliusMurdock

TMNT 2013

Well, I'm a fan of the new show, and I'm looking forward to these sets. I hope I can come up with the cash on the 17th to order all the sets. There does seem to be something a little off about them though.... It reminds me of the Sponge Bob sets. It's like the focus point is the figures, and the sets are all a cheap after thought. I'm sure I will change my mind once I get my hands on them.

Well, I'm a fan of the new show, and I'm looking forward to these sets. I hope I can come up with the cash on the 17th to order all the sets. There does seem to be something a little off about them though.... It reminds me of the Sponge Bob sets. It's like the focus point is the figures, and the sets are all a cheap after thought. I'm sure I will change my mind once I get my hands on them.

That's like that with a lot of the licensed sets. Star Wars at least gets less of that because the vehicles are almost as cool as the figs and characters. But many of the rest of them are at best stages for the figs. (Hulk Helicarrier set anyone? Mines of Moria?). Lately it seems that the licensed waves (excepting Star Wars) Seem to feature one really good solid building or vehicle set that stands on its own (Helm's Deep, Bag End, Quinjet, etc) and the rest tend to be more of play settings for some really good figures. Outside of Star Wars the only other license that seems to have a really strong track record of having a good balance between set quality and figure quality is Batman. And that's because Batman is still all about the wonderful toys. Batman sets tend to have wings and wheels and not simply walls. (Although granted Arkham looks to be an exception to this. The building has almost as much character and presence as the Joker.)

The Turtle sets are almost predestined to suffer a bit in this regard. In the new cartoon the Turtle vehicles are supposedly made mainly of junk. Well when you try and make a Lego vehicle based on source material that is designed to look like a pile of junk, then by design the end product looks a bit junky. (Kind of the root problem with the new Shellraiser vs the classic Turtle van.)

Edited by Faefrost

It's moulded and part of the body, then painted. The only removable parts seem to be his arms and legs.

Thanks, Neville! I was thinking of eventually getting Fishface through BrickLink but only if the orange part could be removed. As it can't, I won't get this minifig.

I think opinions on both are pretty well split. Although in the case you describe with AFOL's you have two things going on.

On One level Chima is really not a theme targeted at AFOL's nor one they have any real strong opinions on either way. It has some neat parts, figs and designs that will grab the attention of some. And it's overall animal war theme may turn others off, but outside of a small group, it really isn't anything deeply argued. Many AFOL's will pick up some Chima sets and figs. But there are plenty of other new sets they will get first.

Now TMNT is an entirely different situation. There is no ambivalence here. The problem is less Chima and more this interpretation of the Turtles. It's kind of taunting the AFOL's. AFOL's have no mental investment in Chima. It's something new for the younger target audience. But the Turtles! Well that strikes right at the nostalgic heart of AFOL's. but the problem is while kinda close and similar, these really aren't the AFOL's turtles. These are these newfangled retread Turtles, with a pink fish guy, and some sort of Crash Bandicoot stupid lookin guy, and a Krang that just isn't their Krang, and no Rocksteady and Bebop and... Well Shredder is still cool. So the sets are cool, and they are something that the AFOL's have wanted for years, but at the same time something is not quite right for them. On some level, and for some AFZoL's its like listening to Mozzart played very well on an untuned piano. It's great stuff, but still not right to your ear.

Is that making any sense?

I think AFOL's need to suck it up and check out the new show. :) It is superior to the old one, while being very respectful of what has come before.

And I say this as someone who grew up loving - LOVING - the old show.

I think the sets, taken just as Lego sets, might have their flaws, but all my Turtlefan buttons are being properly pushed by the minifigures (even Fishface and Dogpound).

I have heard lots of good things about the new series, but since I don't have cable, I won't be watching it unless it comes to Netflix instant. With that said, I don't have any interest in the new villains when it comes time to buy a set. I only remember the old TMNT so those will be the figures I will get. I think maybe that is how a lot of AFOLs are and that's why they haven't taken a huge shine to this theme just yet.

You can watch the episodes on Nick.com when they come out. In fact, they might have all the recent episodes since the series started.

Not sure. My mom got them. She'll be home in an hour or so.

:laugh_hard: j2g you lucky SOB. Not only do you get the sets I have been lusting over, first, your MOM goes out and buys them for you. Some guys have all the luck...

:laugh_hard: j2g you lucky SOB. Not only do you get the sets I have been lusting over, first, your MOM goes out and buys them for you. Some guys have all the luck...

I feel bad as she always gets me sets just for me to review. :grin:

Also, she confirmed that these were from Toys"R"Us. The prices were crazy inflated. Kraang was around $20, Stealth Shell was around $30, and the Shredder Bike was $40. :sceptic:

Speaking of which, here's my final video review:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBEqewF8q-s

Also, she confirmed that these were from Toys"R"Us. The prices were crazy inflated. Kraang was around $20, Stealth Shell was around $30, and the Shredder Bike was $40. :sceptic:

Holy crap! *huh* That...that's just crazy talk. Looks like Lego.com will be getting my money. I don't order from them often due to their ridiculous shipping fees (which will be waved for this order) and the last time I did it took almost three weeks to get my sets. Anyone know if this is the norm? Or does Lego typically ship faster than what I experienced?

It looks like Shop at home just changed the release dates for these sets from December 17th back to December 24th. That is lamesauce. :cry_sad:

http://search2.lego.com/?q=teenage%20mutant%20ninja%20turtles〈=2057&cc=US

Edited by djmangunz

It looks like Shop at home just changed the release dates for these sets from December 17th back to December 24th. That is lamesauce. :cry_sad:

http://search2.lego....lang=2057&cc=US

That sucks! What is the point of moving it back now since Toys"R"Us has the sets... Don't wanna come off spoiled, but I wanted my mom to get the Lair set and Baxter set for me for Christmas. :poke:

Edited by just2good

That sucks! What is the point of moving it back now since Toys"R"Us has the sets... Don't wanna come off spoiled, but I wanted my mom to get the Lair set and Baxter set for me for Christmas. :poke:

:laugh: I don't know, maybe they didn't think they would be able to ship the sets by Christmas with that time frame. My only other hope is Amazon, tax free and quick shipping. The only downside is that they won't have the Baxter mech. :cry_sad:

:laugh: I don't know, maybe they didn't think they would be able to ship the sets by Christmas with that time frame. My only other hope is Amazon, tax free and quick shipping. The only downside is that they won't have the Baxter mech. :cry_sad:
I plan to buy mine on Amazon. Hopefully, they don't push their release date back. :wink: Edited by gundamz

The sets are up on TRU with the exception of the Sewer lair. But be warned...the prices are infreakinsane.

http://www.toysrus.com/search/index.jsp?kwCatId=&kw=lego%20teenage%20mutant%20ninja%20turtles&origkw=lego+teenage+mutant+ninja+turtles&f=Taxonomy/TRUS/2254197&sr=1

I call that the sets will be available on TRU.com by this Saturday. ...

Dang I'm good. :grin:

The sets are up on TRU with the exception of the Sewer lair. But be warned...the prices are infreakinsane.

Dang it, seems like someone saw them early and snagged the Baxter set, since it is an exclusive. That one also has the least inflation out of them all.

And it was the one I wanted the most. :cry_sad: FAO Schwarz has some of the smaller sets up with a lower price hike than TRU but Baxter is out there too. I found that some of the TRU licensed exclusives take a while to get in stock.

And it was the one I wanted the most. :cry_sad: FAO Schwarz has some of the smaller sets up with a lower price hike than TRU but Baxter is out there too. I found that some of the TRU licensed exclusives take a while to get in stock.

Woah, that's cool. I never knew FAO sold LEGO. Heck, the prices are less inflated than TRU! :classic:

Oh, and I forgot to ask this, but does anyone have any picture requests for me on the three TMNT sets I own? I'm not too busy today...

Edited by just2good

Just spotted the TMNT Legos at the local TRU store in WA. As others have mentioned the prices are redonkulous, though I like the smaller boxes where the sets feel more full.

Edited by Hawkman