CM4Sci

LEGO Collectable Minifigures Series 11 Rumours & Discussion

Depending how you clissify the karate master and sumo, we have had five figs from Japan. Asian is a very broad term, hence why I named specific countries. I suppose I did overlook the two Egyptians, although I still think a Zulu warrior might be nice.

Yeah, not to sound... well... But I would rather see a Persian Immortal or a Swedish Carolean soldier :3 I'm not very interested in African civilisations, though something from Carthage would be cool, to go with the ancient Mediterranean figs. And we've got the Egyptians already. Ancient Middle-East/Oriental would be cool, something from Babylon or Persia. And also from the Turks/Ottomans: the feared Janissary! But in terms of including figs from all the corners of the world, then yes, there are not very many African ones, that is true.

The problem with a Zulu warrior is that it might draw rather awkward attention to the skin colour(s) of the Lego people, any which way they would go: yellow may be an imaginary skin colour to represent all the people of the world, but it happens to be quite far from the darker skintones. I'm quite sure many would find a yellow Zulu strange-looking. And a dark-skinned Zulu, in the style of licenced themes, might look better by itself, but it would be the only coloured guy in a world of yellow faces. Thus I predict we won't see characters from (Sub-Saharan) Africa in the CMF series.

The problem with a Zulu warrior is that it might draw rather awkward attention to the skin colour(s) of the Lego people, any which way they would go: yellow may be an imaginary skin colour to represent all the people of the world, but it happens to be quite far from the darker skintones. I'm quite sure many would find a yellow Zulu strange-looking. And a dark-skinned Zulu, in the style of licenced themes, might look better by itself, but it would be the only coloured guy in a world of yellow faces. Thus I predict we won't see characters from (Sub-Saharan) Africa in the CMF series.

My thoughts exactly.

Otherwise, I would love to see some Mideastern or Far Eastern soldier types. But I guess they dont have the pop-cultural recognition. But the CM range has given us some suprising and obscure figs, so Im keeping my hopes up.

As for series 11 itself, it seems somewhat less interesting than series 9 and 10, but ill wait for pics for further comments.

That's strange reasoning. I've always found there to be a certain element of suspension of disbelief when it comes to Lego figures. Anything is possible with that yellow body. The native American and aztec figures worked very well in my opinion, and both represent dark skinned peoples. I've also always thought of disco guy from series two as being a black guy as well. I've got my fingers crossed for some African warriors and a wacky voodoo priest in the CMF line!

That's strange reasoning. I've always found there to be a certain element of suspension of disbelief when it comes to Lego figures. Anything is possible with that yellow body. The native American and aztec figures worked very well in my opinion, and both represent dark skinned peoples. I've also always thought of disco guy from series two as being a black guy as well. I've got my fingers crossed for some African warriors and a wacky voodoo priest in the CMF line!

Strange as it may be, it's not entirely unsound. Don't forget that the reason brown skin was introduced for figs in the first place is that people were having difficulty identifying Lando Calrissian from the Star Wars theme without his darker skin tone. And this, as we all know, eventually led to the fleshies now ubiquitous in the licensed themes.

As neat as a Zulu warrior might be, I have to say that at least in America, a lot of people aren't all that aware of sub-Saharan African cultures, or at least not historical ones. Thus it would be hard for them to recognize what the fig is supposed to depict from the costume alone. As a point of reference, how do we know the Jungle Boy isn't depicting a sub-Saharan African culture? Although he's clearly based on the same archetype as Tarzan (a fictional character of British stock) and Mowgli (a fictional character from India), really the figure on its own is fairly nondescript and could be from any race. Yet most people will almost automatically associate him with Tarzan. That's one of the issues at hand here-- without some really obvious cultural clues that people will be likely to pick up on (or racial caricatures like those in the Western theme and some of the Sports sets), a lot of people will automatically assume a minifigure's subject is white or otherwise light skinned.

It would be nice for TLG to "push the envelope" by releasing a Zulu warrior or similar sub-Saharan African fig, made identifiable to audiences with traditional African clothing styles and patterns. But there would definitely be a certain risk inherent to such a decision.

Strange as it may be, it's not entirely unsound. Don't forget that the reason brown skin was introduced for figs in the first place is that people were having difficulty identifying Lando Calrissian from the Star Wars theme without his darker skin tone. And this, as we all know, eventually led to the fleshies now ubiquitous in the licensed themes.

As neat as a Zulu warrior might be, I have to say that at least in America, a lot of people aren't all that aware of sub-Saharan African cultures, or at least not historical ones. Thus it would be hard for them to recognize what the fig is supposed to depict from the costume alone. As a point of reference, how do we know the Jungle Boy isn't depicting a sub-Saharan African culture? Although he's clearly based on the same archetype as Tarzan (a fictional character of British stock) and Mowgli (a fictional character from India), really the figure on its own is fairly nondescript and could be from any race. Yet most people will almost automatically associate him with Tarzan. That's one of the issues at hand here-- without some really obvious cultural clues that people will be likely to pick up on (or racial caricatures like those in the Western theme and some of the Sports sets), a lot of people will automatically assume a minifigure's subject is white or otherwise light skinned.

It would be nice for TLG to "push the envelope" by releasing a Zulu warrior or similar sub-Saharan African fig, made identifiable to audiences with traditional African clothing styles and patterns. But there would definitely be a certain risk inherent to such a decision.

To be fair, the CMF theme is Lego's best place to experiment with otherwise risky figs. That's the whole point of the blind packaging, after all: to allow for less popular figs to be produced without having them end up overstocked when the kiddies don't buy them.

Personally, I don't know much about sub-Saharan African cultures. It would be neat, though, to get a fig like a Maori warrior, with all the intricate body paint.

Personally, Unless it's a tradesman or leisure interest or sport, I class all the fantasy, historical and sci-fi CMF's as minifigs wearing party costumes. True, there's a lot of that sort but eventually I'll just have enough to represent a big organised party in a city square. Which will be my way of displaying them rather than laid in ranks like a lot of people do. My CMF's are going to have fun. :sweet:

So having them all yellow skinned is perfect for me.

Edited by Jargo

how do we know the Jungle Boy isn't depicting a sub-Saharan African culture? Although he's clearly based on the same archetype as Tarzan (a fictional character of British stock) and Mowgli (a fictional character from India), really the figure on its own is fairly nondescript and could be from any race.

I would say the hair is a pretty dead give away that he is a pretty unlikely candidate for being from sub-sahara, no matter what culture he might have adopted for himself. But the hair piece is an easy swap :)

Lets see

• Yeti - Kinda interesting. I'm hoping for a face like the Rudolf Abominable Snowman
  • Evil Mech - More of those Space combat bots are good. I can find uses for those.
  • Welder - Kind of a nice all around useful city fig. I bet the helmet will be awesome. Can't see needing a lot though
  • Lady Robot - What exactly defines the "Lady" in Lady Robot? I mean really are we talking a "full featured" household appliance? /winkwinknudgenudge? Who am I kidding I can always find room in my vast robot army
  • Jazz Musician - I'm betting this fig will have a lot of personality and will be good for MOC'ing with. Plus a nice new instrument. Sax?
  • Constable - A classic British Bobby? Could find a use for one or two
  • Holiday Elf - Much like Santa, a little goes a long way. Maybe use em as gnomes in some sort of Fantasy Era MOC?
  • Bavarian Lady - Dirndl to go along with the Lederhosen. Could be real useful in Medieval and Fairy Tale MOC's. Now if she comes carrying a tankard I will love Lego forever
  • Scarecrow - A cool useful fig depending on how they do it.
  • Mountain Climber - I'll have to see this one. Sounds cool, but could be yet another skier type.
  • Grandma - Sounds great, but you really only need one. OK maybe the grandma hair will be useful.
  • Tiki Warrior - Cool looking figure of somewhat limited use? We'll see.
  • Gingerbread Man - Yum!
  • Barbarian - Hell yes! More please! With a big Ahnold type sword!
  • Dinner Waitress - Could be cute. Could be a decent way to use some of those Friends sets with traditional minifigs.
  • Scientist - Haven't we had a few scientists already? Oh wait you mean this one isn't evil, or mad, or turned into something horrible? Do they come like that?

The Zulu or a generic African Tribal Warrior Americans would have no trouble with. And it could probably be pulled off in yellow. It's just a matter of the clothing and accessories. The key item would be the hide animal print shield and some way to really differentiate the hair piece from the native american figs. Now if you asked an American to pick out the various distinctions between African tribes, we'd probably be at a loss unless we had some first hand contact.

And that's kind of the same with the European Military uniforms. Americans could probably tell you that the soldier is 18th century European, But unless they are holding a flag most would not be able to pick out the distinctions between a Swedish Carolean or a Spaniard. (Yes yes we know they all wear different funny hats. Just don't ask us which funny hat goes with which?)

I wonder if the Holiday Elf will resemble this one

http://www.mccann.co...er_print11.jpeg

I made some alteration on it. I changed the coat to green, and made him shorter legs. Changing the face is beyond my knowledge.

Lego never made printed shorter legs (am I right?) so it's about time!

santa_elf.jpg

...Lego never made printed shorter legs (am I right?) so it's about time!...

Yeah, printed short legs would be great! :thumbup: But IDK about that torso, strikes me as too plain for a CMF.

I was going to wait for pics, but a combination of free time and lack of patience led me to post my opinions on the figs now, if they be accurate:

• Yeti – Sounds too small in minifig scale, but a new monster could be useful.
  • Evil Mech – As was expected. I expect just a recolor.
  • Welder – I assume a molded helmet instead of a printed mask. Will he have a some kind of blowtorch as an accessory?
  • Lady Robot – Pink highlighs? Lipstick? Eyelashes? I wonder what “she” will look like...
  • Jazz Musician – Looking forward to an new instrument.
  • Constable – about time!
  • Holiday Elf – I was disappointed that the gnome didnt have a red phrygian cap, which would be useful for French revolutionaries. Hopefully the elf will have one.
  • Bavarian Lady – Could be useful for historical female figs.
  • Scarecrow – Depends on execution. straw bag head or pumpkin head? anyway, Im looking forward to a non-horror scarecrow.
  • Mountain Climber – Probably wont be interested.
  • Grandma – Should be a useful civilian fig. What accessories could she have? A cat? Knitting needles? :laugh:
  • Tiki Warrior – Looking forward to seeing him.
  • Gingerbread Man – I wonder whether hell be yellow or the more typical brown, or whether he will, in fact, be a guy in a gingerbread man suit? (Odd numbered series, after all).
  • Barbarian – I expect a Conan-like barbarian, as seen in Toths drawings, as opposed to a late Roman / dark ages barbarian, whose niche was filled by the highlander.
  • Dinner Waitress – As others have said, a waitress on roller skates would be fun.
  • Scientist – I wonder how TLG will spice him up. maybe an einstein lookalike like in Toths design?

• Yeti – Possibly like the Yeti from the Adventurers Orient Expedition theme (Adventurers was a favourite of mine) or a Minotaur like torso to make it larger compared to other figures.
  • Evil Mech – The original Mech will of course need an adversary but not my thing.
  • Welder – I really like the occupational figures - perfect for any Lego City. Hoping the welder will be joined by a carpenter, bellhop, hairdresser, fishmonger and florist soon!
  • Lady Robot – I am thinking the maid from the Jetsons. My Lego budget is spent on City so not much use here but maybe one day I'd create my own Space MOCs
  • Jazz Musician – Yeeeeah! Fingers crossed for a saxophonist with a good mould for the instrument. Hopefully this will start a flood of musicians including Barbershop Singer, Elvis Impersonator, String Quartet, a Keytarist and other orchestra-types!!!
  • Constable – Perfect for some old-fashioned British MOCs.
  • Holiday Elf – I actually like 'repeats' so wouldn't be adverse to see some variations of these in future as Santa has lots of elves and they often wear different outfits, albeit in the same style (striped trousers perhaps?)
  • Bavarian Lady – I plan to build an Alpine village so hopefully this will be good, along with other figures in future (Alpenhorn player, Swiss Milkmaid, Goat Herd...)
  • Scarecrow – Viva the return of Farm! Probably a Worzel Gummidge lookalike although I'm wondering which accessory he will have - a pitchfork?
  • Mountain Climber – In the sad absence of any real Sports figure this series I suppose this will provide the Sports/Leisure gap. Could be a good figure although I would have preferred a Table Tennis Player/Cricketer/Grand National Jockey/Golfer first
  • Grandma – Sumo Wrestler hair in grey? We don't have enough hair variety in grey and Grandpa from Series 10 will need a wife. Good to have more age range and hopefully this will continue.
  • Tiki Warrior – Not sure if this will fit any of my requirements but will wait and see.
  • Gingerbread Man – Interesting choice as I can only think of the gingerbread man from Shrek. What sort of accessory will he have possibly a candy cane?
  • Barbarian – Lego CMF Heroquest i s almost complete, we just need a Wizard (and maybe some more bad guys)
  • Dinner Waitress – Hopefully a Diner Waitress from the 50s. Also a good opportunity for the roller skates to be reused.
  • Scientist – An Einstein lookalike for certain.

Edited by lifeinplastic

Grandma – Should be a useful civilian fig. What accessories could she have? A cat? Knitting needles? :laugh:

I'm guessing a pie like the series 5 small clown. Also, an apron print on the torso and the sumo wrestlers hair in grey.

Barbarian – Lego CMF Heroquest i s almost complete, we just need a Wizard (and maybe some more bad guys)

Yeah, that's nice. I'd like a wizard too, though a female sorceress might be higher on my wanted list - Lego hasn't really done one before, unlike old wizard chaps whom we've had plenty (but not quite exactly like the one in Heroica).

I'm guessing a pie like the series 5 small clown.

Good call, I think that's quite likely. I don't mind, I still haven't acquired a single one as the clown didn't interest me otherwise.

I hope the grandma won't have glasses so her head can be used for medieval figures too. There has always been a serious shortage of aged female faces in yellow (McGonagall yes, but I find the design rather hideous).

My thoughts:

• Yeti - costume or Minotaur style from S6.
  • Evil Mech - compliment or rival for S9 Mech.
  • Welder - sounds good, always need more city jobs.
  • Lady Robot - female version of S6 clockwork robot.
  • Jazz Musician - looking for a new instrument.
  • Constable - Wild West Sheriff, I am guessing, should be nice to get.
  • Holiday Elf - pass.
  • Bavarian Lady - looking for more pretzels!
  • Scarecrow - pass.
  • Mountain Climber - hoping for a baby deer or bear cub. :grin:
  • Grandma - for Grandma visitor I suppose.
  • Tiki Warrior - I am guessing this will be a Polynesian warrior of some sort.
  • Gingerbread Man - oh yes, this is fantastic, favorite so far.
  • Barbarian - could use a few of these for my castle projects.
  • Dinner Waitress - 50s style perhaps? Looking for a new food piece.
  • Scientist - Einstein inspired probably.

Overall from these names I would give this series a 7-8/10.

A lot of people are saying that the Yeti might be too small for minifig scale, but I think this would be the perfect time to bring back the long arms and legs from Toy Story. It would definitely be much more in scale with those.

A lot of people are saying that the Yeti might be too small for minifig scale, but I think this would be the perfect time to bring back the long arms and legs from Toy Story. It would definitely be much more in scale with those.

Dunno, I don't think the Yeti would benefit from a lanky look (even if I too would like to see those parts reused sometime). Considering they're already doing the Cyclops in normal minifigure size (and e.g. the Minotaur before that), I think the Yeti will be fine enough in the same scale. Long arms with normal legs could be nicely ape-like, though.

I checked this link. It said previous series minifigs will be included.

It says "Previous series included an eclectic mix of characters from the world of sport, TV and film characters, musicians and street workers as well as people from the emergency services." They are not saying that any previous minifigs will be included in series 11.

• Grandma – Should be a useful civilian fig. What accessories could she have? A cat? Knitting needles? :laugh:

As a knitter, I would LOVE minifig knitting needles! :laugh:

I generally only buy the minifigs that fit into my Modular street or Winter Village sets (plus the costumed CMFs, who are at the Pet Shop's launch party!), so I'd be buying Yeti (if it's a costume), Welder, Jazz Musician, Constable (if it's a British bobby), Holiday Elf, Bavarian Lady, Grandma, Gingerbread Man and Diner Waitress, possibly Scarecrow and Scientist as well. That's more than my usual average of about 6 CMFs per series. :grin:

Edited by ibecks

Re: GINGERBREAD MAN

Did anyone else see a Gingerbread House at their local Lego Store this holiday season? The structure itself was very cute-- good enough to eat, in fact-- but what really stole the show for me was all the little gingerbread men minifigs in the scene. dark brown figure parts with little icing details and gumdrop, etc on the torso. can't help but wonder if we got a sneak peek at this upcoming CMF???

Re: GINGERBREAD MAN

Did anyone else see a Gingerbread House at their local Lego Store this holiday season? The structure itself was very cute-- good enough to eat, in fact-- but what really stole the show for me was all the little gingerbread men minifigs in the scene. dark brown figure parts with little icing details and gumdrop, etc on the torso. can't help but wonder if we got a sneak peek at this upcoming CMF???

No I didn't see this but this may be true!! Can you post a picture?