WhiteFang

REVIEW: 71000 LEGO Collectable Minifigures Series 9

LEGO Collectable Minifigures Series 9  

235 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this entire Series 9?

2. 2. How do you find this review? Do you find it helpful and useful?

• 1 - Very helpful and useful
    • 2 - Somewhat helpful and useful
    • 3 - Little helpful and useful
    • 4 - Not helpful and useful at all
  3. 3. Right now, what is the best released LEGO Collectable Minifigures Series so far?

4. 4. Do you think Series 9 is a huge improvement compared with other series?

5. 5. Do you like the new distribution allocation number based on the designs for Series 9?

• 1 - Yes, I love it
    • 2 - Neutral and it made no difference to me
    • 3 - No, I hate it and please give me 3 full sets

I'm not sure I like the cyclops. I can't not see his eye socket as a mouth... Maybe I've been too trained by the dinoman, the bunnyman and the atlantis monsters?

Steve

This is by far my favorite series! The only ones I don't like are the heroic knight and the plumber: I see nothing special on the knight and the plumber fits more into regular city sets, not CMF's.

At first I got disappointed with the maiden's hair, because from the front it looked a bit sloppy but I'm getting fond of it.

I love the waiter's "plastic" bottle with a picture of grapes on it :laugh: And the hollywood starlet is my favorite female fig so far!

Edited by Otherworld

What do you mean by that?

I believe what I wrote was very clear, so you need to be a bit more specific about what part of it you don't understand :classic:

I think the wine bottle is neat with the printing, but when did they start putting labels on bottles? I'd almost think it isn't as versatile with the printing, although it would limit the appeal for something "new" also.

Labels on bottles are new, but printing on bottles is as old as the bottle piece. Some of the PotC sets from the same wave in which it was introduced had bottles printed with a "ship in a bottle" pattern.

Meanwhile, green bottle pieces do exist without printing, in the Horizon Express, and the version without printing is much more likely to be reused than the version with printing, since CMF prints don't tend to reappear in other themes.

This series sits atop as one of the most original series with a lil bit of everything for the serious CMF collector, thanks for another beautiful review

I must get my hands on:

GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR - at least 2 of them, the toga is awesome. I love all the antique figures.

Eva Braun / Hollywood Starlet - it's impossible NOT to see her as Eva Braun (Mrs. Hitler)... I love the hair so I'm getting one.

Knight - must have one of these

Cyclops - I'll be getting one

Lady Marion - cool figure, not a "must have", but still quite nice

Labels on bottles are new, but printing on bottles is as old as the bottle piece. Some of the PotC sets from the same wave in which it was introduced had bottles printed with a "ship in a bottle" pattern.

Meanwhile, green bottle pieces do exist without printing, in the Horizon Express, and the version without printing is much more likely to be reused than the version with printing, since CMF prints don't tend to reappear in other themes.

Thanks for that. I love how knowledgeable you are on LEGO pieces. But I was meaning historically in real life when labels were first put on bottles. Meaning how well the bottle would work in a historic MOC.

And it is weird that they don't reuse them (I realize it is probably the plant they are made in), but the Haunted House for as large/expensive as it is had sticker records, but the cheap CMF DJ had a printed record.

Another beautiful set of minifigs, all of which are must haves. Although I'm surprised that nobody has pointed out how much the Forest Maiden's hair looks like Leia's on Endor from Return of the Jedi (when she has it down). Surely a sign of an Ewok village playset at some point in the future?

Thanks for another great review.

This series is amazing again. I must say that I was hesitant about the policeman at first as well but somehow LEGO manages to make the simplest characters look the best. Also very interesting you get 6 in one box. That could fill up a complete police station in one go.

Now the only problem will be to get the usual three sets complete. I guess I will have to go around feeling the packages in the shops.

This series looks awesome. I have my eyes on the Knight, the Forest Maiden, the Battle Mech and the Alien Avenger. I wouldn't mind the Mermaid too, I never had one.

I love how the Battle Mech hasn't a single mold head like the Galaxy Squad androids but uses a Chima figures-esque trick.

But I was meaning historically in real life when labels were first put on bottles. Meaning how well the bottle would work in a historic MOC.

I suspect some sort of labels followed rather quickly after the bottling of wine was invented and gained popularity (in the 17th century, says Wikipedia), after all the different wines had to be identified somehow. According to this page, the invention of lithography printing technique in the end of the 18th century was an important step in the development of the labels.

So at least for medieval scenes even the wine bottles themselves are anachronistic, never mind the labels (though of course glass-blowing is an ancient invention, so there has been glassware much longer). Personally I've decided not to care, at least until Lego provides my medieval drunks another method of drinking their licquer, like a brown/grey cup or a new tankard mold (somehow I doubt that happening, even with the upcoming Bavarian Lady).

Although I'm surprised that nobody has pointed out how much the Forest Maiden's hair looks like Leia's on Endor from Return of the Jedi (when she has it down). Surely a sign of an Ewok village playset at some point in the future?

Someone, I don't remember who, did point it out a bit before EB crashed and the messages disappeared. It does indeed look suspiciously similar.

Leia_ewok004_615.jpg

Also this is a question to those who own one or more minifigs but where do you find them? I have never seen them at WalMart, Target, K-mart, etc...? Are they found in the front where they keep pokemom cards and other cards at, because I have never seen them in the Lego or toys section of the store. Also I live in the U.S if that help.

I have found them at Walmart and target but typically they near the end of an isle hanging in a different display. they also occassionally have the boxes. Right now Target has them loose where they selling the Christmas stuff. no where near the Lego. TRU carries the box but I have also found them at some unusal spots, like a calendar shop at the mall that sells some other toys as well.

Good luck hunting

I have found them at Walmart and target but typically they near the end of an isle hanging in a different display. they also occassionally have the boxes. Right now Target has them loose where they selling the Christmas stuff. no where near the Lego. TRU carries the box but I have also found them at some unusal spots, like a calendar shop at the mall that sells some other toys as well.

Sometimes TRU has them at the customer service counter, so you have to ask for them. I have very rarely seen them at Walmart; still not sure where my local Walmart has them. Target sometimes has them on the endcaps.

Thanks guys for your feedback!

I see my comment was lost in the crash. You make too damn great reviews Fangy! :laugh:

Like I said before the server ate my reply, I'm very pleased with this series as a whole, but I'm very sad about the new distribution. I think this will only create artificial scarcity and inflated prices on bricklink. And I "need" 3 complete sets :cry_sad:. Guess I'll have to buy two boxes now ...

Opps! :blush:

I am interested to find out what will the prices be in the secondary market, as I will probably need more of the other '2's as well.

Also, I'm interested in seeing what the prices will be like for the rarest figs in the aftermarket. Their rarity will drive prices up, but since only the Forest Maiden is an "army builder" fig in the traditional sense, they might not have the same demand as the scarcest figs from previous series. If this fig distribution proves anything, it is that TLG is certainly not weighting the distribution with the intent of creating "chase" figures for army builders, since all but one of the traditional "army builder" figs is six-to-a-package, and the rarest figs seem to be the ones that LEGO's core audience of preteen boys would want the least of: specifically, female figs and male figs with mundane professions.

I shared your sentiments as well.

My message got lost in the crash, so here goes..

I'll repeat my thoughts on Maid Marian.

Thank you both for re-posting your thoughts again!

I do not like the distribution ratio but why do we think that a single case would represent the distribution of every case? Even in WhiteFang's review, it mentioned that later cases in another series showed differently. Perhaps every case would have a different distribution. That is the way it works for collectible card games.

I do not know for sure, if future boxes will have different distribution. It might but it might not happen as well.

Great review, thanks so much for letting us have a great look. I'm pleased and excited for all of these, honestly. I'm just not a fan of the Derby Girl but will still get, nice rollerblades.

How soon will these come up on the Lego shop, if anyone knows.

once again, it's a fantastic review from white fangs... thanks... :)

i like to have the plumber, it will become good addition in my city...

the police is different from the usual, i like the hat... :)

Thanks for the great review as usual, it's very informative! :)

This series is really top-notch in quality... I totally skipped Series8, but I think I'll try to get at least 12-15 from Series9, especially a bunch of cyclops to use for RPGing. At least the new distribution policy has a bright side... for me at least.

Thanks WhiteFang your a big help in seeing which minfigs there are and also I like that you show where they best go which makes me think of so many possibility's. I am sure getting this series! :wub_drool:

Also, How do you get these does Lego send them to you for review? If they do do you get to keep them?

Thanks again,

Rail Co

I ran out of adjectives for WhiteFang's reviews, they're too epic to be described with mere words.

Ninth series amazed me as well, becaming my favourite: apart from containing some of the best minifigs I've ever seen in my entire life, for the first time there's no one that I hate or simply dislike. Who more, who less...I want them all, though.

Now let's see the details of my feedback.

• Waiter > I'm not the biggest fan around here of civilian figs; still a similar attention to details deserves my appreciation. 7/10.
  • Cyclops > *fap fap fap fap*. 10/10.
  • Hollywood Starlet > I adore Marilyn Monroe, so you can easily understand why I love this elegant plastic lady so much. 10/10.
  • Heroic Knight > Quite classic: meaning extremely versatile, which is a good thing. 7/10.
  • Roman Emperor > Veni, vidi, vici emi (multos)*. 9/10.
  • Policeman > I can't get tired of cops: they are never too many, especially if well made as this guy. 7/10.
  • Chicken Suit Guy > The chicken is the symbol of my city's (Bari) soccer/football team, nicknamed "I galletti" in italian: therefore is a must-have, at least for me. 9/10.
  • Roller Derby Girl > Impressive detail's level, from the elbow guards to the skates: how to turn an anonymous figure into a cool one. 8/10.
  • Fortune Teller > Every single damn part of her is a little masterpiece. 9/10.
  • Judge > Phoenix Wright MOCs, I'm coming! God, look at that hairpiece... 8/10.
  • Alien Avenger > The very same shape of Galaxy Patrol from series 7, a bit disappointing in that sense; nevertheless, the pieces' new design is terrific. 7/10.
  • Mermaid > Soooo cute; also useful for my Atlantis sets, populated almost exclusively with mermen. :laugh: 9/10.
  • Battle Mech > My personal n°1 CMF among all 144, any other comment is needed? Breathtaking? Stunning? 10/10.
  • Mr Good and Evil > A perfect example of the great idea + nice realization combo. 8/10.
  • Forest Maiden > Perhaps the minifigure I like the least...but hey, I said "like": she just doesn't drive me mad, that's it. 7/10.
  • Plumber > Pretty simple minifig, although that plunger makes me laugh: dunno why, I find it somewhat funny! 7/10.
    * For those of you who don't know, "emi multos" means "I bought a lot of" in Latin.

Edited by Lucanik-san