CM4Sci

2013 Galaxy Squad

I sense a meme related to billy.

I agree. The main flaw are the skinny arms.

If those arms are skinny then my MOC is going to look like a butler drone.

So I haven't seen any comments about the site being up. Maybe I just haven't been paying close enough attention...

Hard to tell if the structure in the background here is a CGI-only base designed for the packaging and online games or a possible future set. It seems like it would be quite odd structurally if it were a set, though.

Yes, LEGO did not intend for you to mix your collectible minifigures with the rest of your LEGO sets, and you must not ignore the made-up backstories or anything. We all know that LEGO hates it when you mix your LEGO pieces together. I heard that if you even THINK about putting the CMFs9 Battle Mech minifig near the Galaxy Squad minifigs, the universe will explode. :tongue:

I wasn't saying people can't use the Battle Mech with their Galaxy Squad sets. I was just expressing my opinion that it doesn't seem to be designed to fit into an existing theme (as opposed to figs like the Alien Queen, who seems specifically designed to be a member of the same alien faction as in Alien Conquest). People keep jumping to the conclusion that the Battle Mech is meant to be a Galaxy Squad character solely because it shares some parts with the robots of Galaxy Squad, and I was pointing out that that's not necessarily the case.

So I haven't seen any comments about the site being up. Maybe I just haven't been paying close enough attention...

Hard to tell if the structure in the background here is a CGI-only base designed for the packaging and online games or a possible future set. It seems like it would be quite odd structurally if it were a set, though.

It has been mentioned before, but nobody seems to be discussing it. Is it just me or are the "cities" recycled in different colours. If that's the case, does that mean there'll be some sort of transformation/incorporated-into-the-hive plot, or is it just TLC's graphics department saving time and money?... :look: The transformation plot would make sense of the weird fog that seems to be burning/infecting the planet that looks like earth (and the cocoons.) :wacko: I guess it could be like what xenomorphs do to where ever the end up living.

~Insectoid Aristocrat

Edited by Dannylonglegs

Parts and color scheme and released at the same time? Come on dude :P None of the CMF are "part" of a theme, but the point is that they can be easily put into a theme, or in many cases, multiple themes.

Well, it has the new robot armor and has the same style as the galaxy squad figures. So I count this guy as a part of galaxy squad too. But I have to say, I don't like the CMF robot very much. There are only so few sculpted details on the helmet and I can't stand this color-scheme.

- Blue robot would be my No.1 - I really like the head and the colors. Also the asymetrical design ist just great.

- Red one No.2 - because the head is unusual and I like the red squad the most.

- Green Robot No. 3 - I don't like the head so much, but it's okay

- Orange Robot No. 4 - The head sculpt is okay, but I hate those bright colors.

- CMF White/orange version No. 5 - because I really don't like the helmet and the colors. Why they didn't use one of the other headsculpts is beyond me. I hope the evil version of this guy will be in black with bley or red. I think I'll wait for this one.

On the GS minisite they haven't even bothered to name Billy Starbeam on the product specs.

"70702 WARP STINGER Watch out for the sticky cocoon trap! The Warp Stinger's flapping wings hit you hard if you get in the way, and don't even get us started on the shooters…"

The other team members get named but not our friend Billy no mates. Lego are prejudiced against Billy. :cry_sad:

I wasn't saying people can't use the Battle Mech with their Galaxy Squad sets. I was just expressing my opinion that it doesn't seem to be designed to fit into an existing theme (as opposed to figs like the Alien Queen, who seems specifically designed to be a member of the same alien faction as in Alien Conquest). People keep jumping to the conclusion that the Battle Mech is meant to be a Galaxy Squad character solely because it shares some parts with the robots of Galaxy Squad, and I was pointing out that that's not necessarily the case.

Ha, I know - but really, your opinion is only based on the description from the LEGO website. If there were no website, you would be free to make up your mind about where it belongs. That being the case, wouldn't you lump Battle Mech in with the rest of the robots in Galaxy Squad?

[...] does that mean there'll be some sort of transformation/incorporated-into-the-hive plot

I seem to remember reading something about the cocoons being transformation pods or something, but can't find where. I may have made it up...

Just played the shooter game on the minisite and scored 360. I kinda got bored but fair play, it's a great looking little game.

Just a thought on the idea of "Billy no mates". I really don't think this is the reason why there is not much red, but could TLG be holding off because of the Space Marines just being put into review stage from LEGO CuuSoo? Maybe Billy could be greeted by a group of Space Marines after this winter review.

Ha, I know - but really, your opinion is only based on the description from the LEGO website. If there were no website, you would be free to make up your mind about where it belongs. That being the case, wouldn't you lump Battle Mech in with the rest of the robots in Galaxy Squad?

Actually, Lyi was saying that he thought the Battle Mech would be a Gundam-like robot figure before we even saw pictures of it, and I agree with him that I wouldn't ever have connected it with Galaxy Squad. Its reuse of the robot armor from Galaxy Squad shouldn't be taken as any kind of strong evidence, because TLG reuses parts outside their intended themes all the time. Just look at the Alien from Minifigures Series 3. No connection at all to Space Police III other than the reused head piece. Likewise, the S7 Ocean King has no connection to Ninjago or Pirates of the Caribbean despite reusing Sensei Wu's beard or the PotC mermaids' tails.

Also, the Battle Mech's head is designed very differently than the Galaxy Squad robot heads-- it's a helmet over a minifigure head rather than a solid head piece. And its colors and prints don't resemble Galaxy Squad figures any more closely than the parts of the Spaceman and Intergalactic Girl. People are free to use it for whatever they want, but that doesn't mean the fig inherently suggests that connection to everyone.

Edited by Aanchir

Just a thought on the idea of "Billy no mates". I really don't think this is the reason why there is not much red, but could TLG be holding off because of the Space Marines just being put into review stage from LEGO CuuSoo? Maybe Billy could be greeted by a group of Space Marines after this winter review.

I think Space Marines will be treated as a completely separate entity. If it passes review. Space Marines may only get one set as a CUSOO project rather than integration into the pantheon of space themes. With GS currently up and running and probably getting a second wave plus the time it takes for Lego to work through product development it'd be an age before SM could be released. And probably not until GS has run it's course.

Meanwhile friends of Billy are outraged at his poor treatment :hmpf_bad: Not being named on the official site is bad form. :thumbdown:

I'm beginning to join the campaign, Billy deserves some attention,For a couple of reasons.

1. red is my favorite color.

2. Billy is a cliche rookie name, this might be why hes a throwaway.

3. putting a basis on 2 is the fact that while others look like hardened veterans, Billy looks young.

On the GS minisite they haven't even bothered to name Billy Starbeam on the product specs.

The other team members get named but not our friend Billy no mates. Lego are prejudiced against Billy. :cry_sad:

I think the entire website is still heavily under construction, so that might explain it. There's not even an entry for the Star Slicer on there. :tongue:

2. Billy is a cliche rookie name, this might be why hes a throwaway.

Hmmm.... You might be on to something here: After all, the newbie ensigns that always got killed off at the beginning of every Star Trek original series wore red shirts, so the fact that he's the rookie and has no official name on the site might mean that he's meant to be the disposable Red Shirt....

Hmmm.... You might be on to something here: After all, the newbie ensigns that always got killed off at the beginning of every Star Trek original series wore red shirts, so the fact that he's the rookie and has no official name on the site might mean that he's meant to be the disposable Red Shirt....

After all, the guy in red ALWAYS dies first!

Also, the Battle Mech's head is designed very differently than the Galaxy Squad robot heads-- it's a helmet over a minifigure head rather than a solid head piece. And its colors and prints don't resemble Galaxy Squad figures any more closely than the parts of the Spaceman and Intergalactic Girl. People are free to use it for whatever they want, but that doesn't mean the fig inherently suggests that connection to everyone.

I think the Battle Mech could be part of a "kaiju and other giants" sub-theme in the CMF collection. It's perfect if you imagine that Lizard Suit Man and Gorilla Suit Man are actually supposed to be actors playing fifty-foot tall monsters. I don't think it's a coincidence that the first two CMFs of this persuasion could perfectly represent Godzilla and King Kong. So this guy, in my admittedly twisted imagination, is an actor playing a giant mecha. Who can fight giant monsters. All we need now is a Guillermo del Toro minifig, and we can brickfilm "The Making of Pacific Rim".

On the other hand, it's totally possible that "Battle Mech" is a scrapped design concept for a Galaxy Squad robot, and I think it would work just fine for GS. Stands to reason that there is more than one orange robot design walking around Galaxy Squad Headquarters.

I think Space Marines will be treated as a completely separate entity. If it passes review. Space Marines may only get one set as a CUSOO project rather than integration into the pantheon of space themes. With GS currently up and running and probably getting a second wave plus the time it takes for Lego to work through product development it'd be an age before SM could be released. And probably not until GS has run it's course.

Meanwhile friends of Billy are outraged at his poor treatment :hmpf_bad: Not being named on the official site is bad form. :thumbdown:

Crap. People have a point. Ol' Billy boy may be short lived. :sad: Sci-Fi and red don't go too well with humans.

Edited by Legocrazy81

The Battle Mech is not linked to Galaxy Squad any more than the CMF Frankenstein was linked to Monster Fighters.

...meaning, there's no official connection, but that by no means precludes co-mingling them. It's LEGO after all!

I was thinking the same thing. We need to give Billy some serious hardware so that he has a fighting chance. :)

Edited by TimH

I sense a meme related to billy.

8249074537_1f2beecaa6_q.jpg

He's actually a pretty cool fig, and red's a great colour for that helmet. It's a shame he's in such a mediocre set. :sadnew:

~Insectoid Aristocrat

He's actually a pretty cool fig, and red's a great colour for that helmet. It's a shame he's in such a mediocre set. :sadnew:

~Insectoid Aristocrat

I like that set. :tongue:

But I think a Billy meme could be pretty fun. I might go ahead and make an avatar for myself to show my support for our perpetually doomed Space buddy.

Edited by Ricecracker
Don't quote images...

I think the reason the Slicer doesn't have a page on the site is because it's an exclusive.