56 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this set?

• Poor
    • Below Average
    • Average
    • Above Average
    • Excellent

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

So it’s been a while since I’ve reviewed anything for you and it’s been about as long since I’ve had a working camera as I just got two second hand cameras and bought a new set I thought I’d share it with you.

NB. I'm in the process of moving at the moment when I'm finished and unpacked my desktop PC I will touch up the photos.

Set Name: Winter Village Cottage

Set Number: 10229

Number of Pieces: 1490

Figures:8

Released: 2012

List Price: $99.99 €99.99 £89.99

10229 Peeron.com

10229 Bricklink Catalog

10229 Shop@Home

Lets us begin with the box.

10229-01.jpg

There making a big point about the light up brick.

10229-02.jpg

Showing the key details of the building.

Now for what’s inside.

10229-03.jpg

Much more in the box than I was expecting.

A look at the sticker sheet

10229-04.jpg

Those of you who don’t like stickers must be happy with only 4 to apply.

Two instruction booklets come with this set.

10229-05.jpg

Right now let us begin the building with Bag 1 as you can see bag one contains everything apart from the cottage.

10229-06.jpg

Oddly the minifigs are split over the bags so here with have the first four, a lumberjack (sadly without the new axe) the plough driver and two children on skis. I’m quite annoyed that Lego didn’t provide the new ski polls and that we’ve had for the collectable minifigures an we’re left with just normal polls.

10229-07.jpg

Now for the igloo I like this minibuild a lot, the roof if removable and they’ve managed to capture a blockly but still round feel to it. Though I’d have thought an igloo with a stove would melt?!

10229-08.jpg

The stove inside.

10229-09.jpg

The roof is on a 4 x 4 plate and sits on top.

10229-10.jpg

With the roof and owl added.

Next time for the snowplough, the time period has always been ambiguous with the winter village sets, the snowplough doesn’t give any more hints. I get a 50’s / 60’s vibe from it but then I don’t live where we have a lot of snow and when we do we just have chaos!

The plough has an interesting wheel arch attachment at the back.

10229-11.jpg

Poll though the back with flags either side.

The build is fairly straight forward

10229-12.jpg

Flat bed added.

I like the brick build door and the fat that they have a different curvature for the blue and tan.

10229-13.jpg

Door.

10229-14.jpg

Doors fitted.

One the plough is built it looks great, though without the plough at the front it looks slightly high and heavy sets, but a great little vehicle.

10229-15.jpg

Without a plough.

10229-16.jpg

With a plough.

The woodshed if the final part of this bag. I this is great and has a lot of little bits and bobs for such small build.

10229-17.jpg

Tool bench.

10229-18.jpg

The logs attach and stay stacked.

10229-19.jpg

T red clips are for storing a drill, not sure how safe that is.

10229-20.jpg

Not sure what the windows for!

10229-21.jpg

Completed and with the lumberjack.

10229-22.jpg

Brick build chainsaw simple but effective.

Ok I lied there’s more in this bag there’s also a brick built sled with a bucket.

10229-23.jpg

The sled.

So that’s the end of bag one and I’m highly impressed but the set so far, there are lots of nice little touches and there’s still a huge heap of bricks to use.

10229-25.jpg

The heap.

10229-24.jpg

Bag 2.

Bag two also has some minifigs, correct me if I’m wrong but I think the child’s jacket is new?

10229-26.jpg

New green torso?

Personally I’m not a fan of tiling plates exsesivley and there’s a lot of tiling that you have to do in this sets, which while it looks good when it’s done I just don’t enjoy doing.

10229-27.jpg

10229-28.jpg

Once you’ve tilled to your heats content in goes the fireplace

10229-29.jpg

The kitchen in really good in this sets I’m particularly impressed by the cooker in the far left and the cupboard with the frying pan. The golden taps and the green marble worktops seems a bit over the top if you ask me, I wonder who owns this ‘cottage’

10229-30.jpg

The interior has a brick built tree which looks alright but is nothing special, a well-built table and two brick build stockings which I love. The light brick goes behind the fire to add a warm glow.

10229-31.jpg

Said warm glow.

The childs bedroom is on the upper floor though there’s not ladder to get up there and he gets a brick built plane and sailboat (which is very well thought out) and a ball and two presents. Seems a bit to much to me but then the family do have gold taps!

10229-33.jpg

10229-34.jpg

The roof goes on in three parts to complete the sets and give us the finished cottage.

10229-35.jpg

10229-36.jpg

Finally everything from the set together

10229-37.jpg

The Rating System

Figures: 8.5/10 (8 figs and a good selection though more winter heads would have been nice)

Parts 9/10 (A good selection and alot of the new brick bricks. Could have used newer accessories though)

Fun Fun Fun 10/10 (Once you’ve built it there’s quite a lot to do)

Design 10/10 (Can’t fault Lego on the design apart from a lack of access but hey it’s nowhere near Christmas)

Price 10/10 (I was sceptical about the high price but am more than happy now.)

Grand Total 47.5/50 (Go forth and buy!)

Conclusions

I had some concerns at the outset with this set as it’s nearly twice the price of the pervious winter sets which I loved, I didn’t see why Lego had decided to increase the price point by so much, I bought this set with VIP points so it didn’t really cost me anything. However when I got home I found it was a very large set the cottage is much much bigger than the previous sets and there’s an awful lot going on as well.

The first bag provided me with an igloo which I liked the design of and the snowplough which is larger than previous vehicles. Finally the woodshed which I found a great little model and carried over the colour scheme and aesthetic from the cottage well.

The cottage itself is large and well designed, while I don’t like the tiling I do think it’s worth it as the floor looks excellent. The kitchen had a number of nice features, though a new mixer would have been nice. Overall it’s a great build though I do wonder if the cottage is to big for the other sets but as they’re packed away at the moment I can’t put them side by side and compare.

My only slight fault is that Lego could have included the new parts they’d produced for the collectable minifigures here and I’m disappointed that they didn’t.

Overall I’m happy with my purchase and I think you will be two. Sadly I think the price point is too high to buy a few and make a really village which is to my mind a missed opportunity.

So it’s been a while since I’ve reviewed anything for you and it’s been about as long since I’ve had a working camera as I just got two second hand cameras and bought a new set I thought I’d share it with you.

Set Name: Winter Village Cottage

Set Number: 10229

Number of Pieces: 1490

Figures:8

Released: 2012

List Price: $99.99 €99.99 £89.99

10229 Peeron.com

10229 Bricklink Catalog

10229 Shop@Home

Edited by Rick
Removed duplicate

I'm new to Eurobricks but not to the Lego addiction. I just received and built this set and, as always, had a grand time putting it together. It's always a downer when I have finished and don't have another one to put together. Anyway, I found this set to be much more focused on the interior than winter sets in the past. I think this is what added to the piece count, especially the tiles. I even liked the blue tone of the set. All-in-all, a good review of an excellent set.

Thanks for the review 'CB', sadly I must wait for the middle of next year to add this to my collection ! :classic:

Brick On Review On ! :classic:

Thank you for the good review! I cannot wait to go out and buy the set. You had mentioned multiple times different accessories from the collectible minifigures, which ones were you referring to?

Thanks for the review. I was planning on getting this. I love the Holiday sets. The only downside to make it realistic to have enough room for everyone it would have to be much bigger and it is already a pretty big set. But I am a fan of the details they put into it. I actually like the little tree and the toys. I hadn't considered the green countertops to be granite or marble, but that is a good imagination. I will be picking this up for Christmas next week when I make my first visit to a LEGO store.

Thanks for this nice review! :thumbup:

A beautiful set. Expensive (i don't collect City, piece to price ratio is good though) but a valuable collector's item. Will definitely go for it. :classic:

A great review of a great set. I love this winter sets and hope TLG will keep on producing them. Too bad you can't buy them in the stores here in the Netherlands, they all have to be ordered. These sets are very well produced and good value for your money. Thanks for this review Cardinal Brick

A really great review for this Excellent set. Just got this one a month ago and moved my display including the 50s-like custom Bus set from Bricking Bavaria 2009 from one shelf to another. And recently built a suitable small train from the Hobby Train set for the display. And I would say the whole Winter Village range looks somewhat like 1950s-60s. Even the long skis on the 10229 are fitting to the era.

img_1743.jpg This is the small train, but I removed the non-lego steam from it for the Winter Village display.

The small engine is one of the 30 Hobby Train models and hardly fits the minifig. The Car is an older MOC by me, which is essentially a rebuild of the old 131 car and seats 3 minifigs. It's a push train, motorizing it would ruin the realism totally. It's enough that the Steam engine is on standard train wheels.

Maybe I'll let it run some day, but that means some work: Removing the Emerald Night and the Locos from their display tracks, since I used quite a lot of my train tracks for them, and modifying the engine with the motor, or simply couple it on the rear of the small train. (a larger car would ruin the appearance!)

regarding the Price: 100€ (Germany) for a almost 1500piece-set is really reasonable. If you look at the older winter Village bakery, which is 55€ (Germany) with less than the half of the piece count it's still quite cheap.

mFg Widdi

Edited by Widdi

Very nice review CB! :thumbup:

This one really has this classic romantic christmas feeling :sweet:

Sad that it's so expensive.

Thanks for the review. Wish you had addressed the amount of snow on the roof which is something that bothers me about this otherwise beautiful set in a great series.

Is it easier to remove some of the snow from this set or add snow onto the others (particularly the post office I think?) in the series? I'm guessing it's easier to add to the others.

Im happy with this set, a must get for me. I like how the roof of the cottage is "thick" with snow :classic:

Funny how people think about the thick snow on the roof.. Personally i think it is a bit too thick... especially in comparison with the other Winter Village buildings. The Post Office from last year, has hardly any snow on the roof, only a few ice bits.. That is why i've redone that roof.. Some will say, well the post offices-roof is steep, so snow will slide off.. true ofcourse, but IMO white should be present on roof, as snow is holy in the decembermonth!!! :laugh:

I think the set is not overpriced... a lot of people say it is too expensive, but there is so much detail in the cottage and it is a massive build.. it is just bigger and larger then all the others.. so it may be somewhat more expensive....... :wink:

Greeting from Holland,

LegoSjaak

Greetings!

Wonderful review! I just got done building part one of this set and like the details. I also liked the nice surprise of getting one of those new brick seperators in the set.

Hello everyone, my apologies for bumping an old thread, but I wanted to let everyone know that I published an online guide today for those interested in adding lights and effects to their Winter Village Cottage. You can find the guide here:

http://brickstuff.dozuki.com/Guide/Adding+Lights+to+the+LEGO%C2%AE+Winter+Village+Cottage+%28Set+%2310229%29/7/1

Full disclosure: I manufacture the lights described in the guide, but hopefully people will find the tips and ideas shared in the guide useful no matter what lighting system you use for your creations.

Enjoy!

--Rob

This looks like a very good way to light up the entire village. It appears to me after reading your instructions that no Lego bricks need to be modified. Is this correct?

Also, where can the kit be purchased? And do you include printed instructions because your pictures were not clear when I tried to magnify the screen image.

Hi brickdad46, yes that is correct-- we designed our lighting system so that no bricks would need to be modified. You can see a review of our lighting system here: http://bit.ly/aladreview.

The kits and all of our other products are available internationally here:

http://bit.ly/tindiebrick

The kit you want for lighting the Winter Village Cottage is the Micro LED Light Board Starter Kit. Everything you need to light the Cottage is included in this kit. Yes, it does come with basic printed instructions, but we have a more detailed, visual guide here:

http://brickstuff.dozuki.com/Guide/Adding+Lights+to+the+LEGO%C2%AE+Winter+Village+Cottage+%28Set+%2310229%29/7/1

This walks you through all the steps. If you have an iPad, you can download the Dozuki app for iPad and find our guides by searching for "Brickstuff". (the iPad versions are handy when you work at your build area with a mobile device nearby)

Let me know if you have any additional questions. Thanks!

--Rob