Sign in to follow this  
CMP

Heroica RPG - Quest #51: A Shanty for Science

Thalion turns and whispers to the party, so the captain can't hear them, "Shall we head back to Chalvo?"

Edited by -obelix-

"Then may your beacons be bright in the Gray, Captain." Arthur leads the party back to Chalvo.

Arthur hears De'kra's voice speak to him, but at first he does not answer. At last he speaks. "I don't know. Is there something wrong?" ...wrong with you? he mentally adds. He gives the echo a harsh, appraising look. "I had a vision while we were asleep. I used to have them as a child, but they left me for many years...until Ennon. Until Wren." Arthur continued to stare at De'kra, unsure if it was safe for him to continue. Finally, suddenly, he speaks: "Tell me of the Makuta. Tell me of the one named Krika. And tell me of who exactly you are."

In-character, in-character! Arthur keeps surprising me. :blush:

EDIT: A wave of nausea nearly knocks Arthur off his feet, and he instantly knows why. He hastens forth, increasing his stride and by extension the party's pace. "Quickly! We must move forward." He turns to De'kra, his mistrust temporarily suppressed by haste. "De'kra, there is darkness in this city, and I fear great darkness soon to come. Your Destiny seems to be intertwined with mine, so there are things I must know. If I fall, the fate of my people will rest in your hands. You have the power to defend them--or to destroy them. I must know which will be. Will you embrace the path of a Hero--one of constant fear and doubt and failure, and unpleasant actions taken so that others won't have to--or will you allow your doubts to paralyze you, your fears to strangle your Duty? Our Unity as Heroes will be tested, and soon; I must know that you will stand the test--or at the very least, that you will try."

:oh:Damn Arthur's surprising me today!

Edited by Flipz

IC: De'kra fell to the ground and was silent. Finally he whistled softly, "I...not know. I...lot of who I am seem like Makuta. I spawn Kraata, I body seem to be neither flesh nor metal but almost gas, I need not food or drink, sleep is unecesaary. But while I want to uprise against houses, I feel no urge for power. When I eat I eat through I hands, like villager; Matoran. I have no great powers like Makuta, I not able to control shadows. I...try while on boat-no blasts of darkness came. And I...I memories. I look over them, and I find issues. I see events that happen simultaniously as witness to both. I...I memories are in multiple places in same time. And this not just across islands of Mata-Nui. I have memories of other versions of I home, other realities. In some we heroes grew...corrupt, in others Mata-Nui die but we survive and grew stronger. I...no one person could be there for all those events. Not events happen at same time, across realities. I...I not sure I exist. I...I think I something like Kaita."

"Kaita are...beautiful," De'kra describe, "When three heroes or three villagers relax their minds and each other, they can merge their bodies and minds into new being, with all their wisdome and power but new mind. Kaita are that kind of entity, perfect example of Unity. For Matoran this boost is small, just enhance strength and passive powers of their breed. But Toa, we heroes, they become incredible."

"I...I not think I safe Kaita," he whistled as he clasped his head in his hands, "There are ways to merge beings you see that are not so wonderful. Staff could fuse any two things together, or separate something in half, but what it made was rarely...stable. Freaks, madmen, abominations, halves sometimes having their minds split down middle, fusions sometimes and two minds fight for control. Then there is Energize Protodermis, or liquid destiny. Whatever/whoever it touch...will either be transform or destroy, depend on what their destiny is. Even Energize Protodermis not know what will happen until it hit. You might just absorb mask power or have your elemebntal abilities double, or you might fuse and others and become dream granting conqueror. Or just be completely destroy. I think...either staff or EP made I. I think. I not even know if that right."

Edit: IC: De'kra added softly, "I not sure of what else about Makuta, but I know they could have become protectors and champions of light instead. I remember some realities like that. Krika...should not have die. I wish I knew more about him, he live his whole life commit evil, yet he have so much regret, so much depression. As I said, he thought of the Makuta Plan as cage, that no matter what they did they were trap by. So he went and plan, though never without resistence. I did no rebellion, but he not surrender either. In end he try to save his fellows, and he try to stop plan multiple times. Aside from that, later in his life he became mutant, twist by ooze in swamp. It stop him from shapeshift out of insect-like form, and took away most of his powers and left him a ghost state. Before he...die."

"Indeed"

OOC: I realize that Krika is not the only phasing character dear to my heart, there is an X-Man I am quite fond of after all.

OOC: this might not be right, but it is his theory.

Edited by Tanma

Thalion follows the group closely, listening to the discussion but having a strange feeling that this one was very personal and should not be interrupted.

Arthur listened in silence as De'kra explained more of his enigmatic origins. As the alley where Chalvo waited came into sight, Arthur finally spoke up. "We all have a choice, De'kra, no matter our past or our origins. We can choose to let our troubles define us, and let our fear and doubt bring suffering to everyone else around us, causing us to lash out unexpectedly when we least expect it...or we can choose to embrace ourselves, accept who we are, however we are, and trust that we are exactly who we are meant to be, no matter what anyone else thinks. You are meant to be a Hero, De'kra, a Hero and a Sorcerer. You have the potential--you just will not allow yourself to accept it." Arthur appraises De'kra, his fears momentarily quelled. "You may wish that you do not have that power, or the responsibility to use it. So do all who live to experience such things, but it is not for us to decide. All we can do is to decide what to do with the time that is given us. The world is Gray, De'kra--right actions may lead to wrong, and terrible evils yeild great good. We cannot rely on others' perceptions of right and wrong, we must seek our own personal Beacons in the Gray, and follow them unyieldingly to reach our final cause. Some may oppose us in our path, and we may have to fight, or even kill them, sometimes even painfully. But we cannot dwell on that; we have to trust that the cause we have set for ourselves is right, that it will lead us to shape the world as it is meant to be. So long as we do not hinder those in search of their own beacons without need or cause, we will be right in spirit even when we are wrong in action. To trust oneself is the best way to aid others."

As the party rounds the final bend, Arthur has one last thought for De'kra: "And De'kra...if you are not meant for shadow...perhaps you are meant for Light." Arthur nods at the shade's gauntlets, before leading the party the last few steps to where they had met Chalvo.

Loot Distribution:

Thalion- Scepter, 15 Gold

Barur- Arthur's Grand Tonic, Guardian Halberd, Lightning Bomb, Water Bomb, Arthur's Holy Bomb

Arthur- Scarf of Misfortune, Ether Core

Decided to follow Arthur's own advice. :blush:

Arthur divides the last of the loot, and everyone returns their items to their respective owners.

Party

Arthur_Sorcerer_Ava1.jpg

Arthur Justus Regulus VII (played by Flipz) *Immune to Sealed* *Party Leader*

Level 18.5 Sorcerer

Power: 30

Health: 28/28

Ether: 28/28

Defense: 3

Gold: 580

Equipment: Sir Roderick's Sword (WP:12, Darkness elemental), Robe of the Archmagi (SP:3, Max Ether +5, Immune to Sealed), Lens of Speed Reading (Accessory, Allows a scroll to be read in addition to a normal action. Suitable for scroll users.)

Inventory:

Staff of the Cultist Battlemage (WP: 7, 50% chance of Fleeing upon being KO'd; suitable for Mages and Clerics), Healing Staff (WP:5; heals instead of damaging), Ancient Crown (First successful strike of battle deals Cursed effect, borrowed from Atramor Gibbin), Cloak of Deception (Free hits against the wearer have a 1/6 chance to be redirected to a random opponent), Opal (Ice), Amethyst (Darkness), Topaz (Lightning), Diamond (Light) Bedroll, Telescope, Shovel, Scroll of Blindness, Scroll of Sealing, Scroll of Confusion, Scroll of Sleep, Scroll of Frailty, Scroll of Armor Sundering (Reduces target’s SP by 5 and has a 50/50 chance of success), Scroll of Poisoning(Grants target’s weapon the badly poisoned effect for one battle at the cost of 5 ether), Scroll of Luck (Grants target the lucky-effect for one battle. Costs 10 ether.), Grand Tonic, Holy Bomb, Remedy, Blunt Dagger (WP: 1, dagger), Noxious Venom (When used on a weapon, the weapon deals the Badly Poisoned effect for the duration of the battle and the Confused effect for the next three rounds, for the duration of one battle.), Scarf of Misfortune, Ether Core, Advanced Automaton Assembly Diagrams

dwarfclericsm.jpg

Barur Thormek (played by Aveal the black sheep)

Level 10.5 Cleric

Power: 14

Health: 18/18

Ether: 14/14

Defense: 1

Gold: 139

Equipment: Rune Staff (WP: 4), Robe of the Magi (SP: 1)

Inventory: Topaz (Lightning), Ruby (Fire), Potion, Remedy, 2 Venoms, 5 Bones, Bedroll, 2 Tonics, , Mulled Wine (Causes the Inspired-effect, doubling the target's current and maximum health for the duration of one battle.), Ice Bomb, Fire Bomb, Dirt Bomb, Grand Tonic, Guardian Halberd, Lightning Bomb, Water Bomb, Holy Bomb

De%27kra_and_Kapura.png

De'kra (played by Tanma) *Immune to Enamored* *Immune to Confused* *Immune to Light elemental*

Level: 20.33 Assassin

Power: 27

Health: 31/31

Defense: 4

Gold: 171

Equipment: Kapura (WP:7, Fire), Cloak of the Blue Assassin(SP: 1), Heart Locket(Protects from enamored effect and confused effect), Reflective Gauntlets (SP: 3, immune to light)

Inventory: Explosive Handcannon (WP: 8, double WP to rock monsters), Chiara (WP:7, Electricity), Shadeaux Dagger(WP:5), Fauxthril Hand Cannon(WP:7), Cloak of the Elven Spy, Bedroll, Pickaxe, Shovel, Magnifying Glass, Magic Compass, Potions (6), Grand Potions (3), Remedy (3), Phoenic Essence (3), Smoke Bombs (2), Dirt Bomb, Ice Bomb, Noxious Venom (When used on a weapon, the weapon deals the Badly Poisoned effect for the duration of the battle and the Confused effect for the next three rounds, for the duration of one battle.), Damaged Advanced Automaton Parts

Thalion Dwinlas (played by -obelix-)

Level 8 Mage

Power: 12

Health: 12/12

Ether: 12/12

Gold: 29

Equipment: Scepter of Divine Affinity (WP: 5, has a 1/6 chance to deal the Cursed effect on successful spells or the Blessed effect on successful healing), Leather Cap (SP:1)

Inventory: Ruby (Fire), Opal (Ice) Potion, Bedroll, Dagger (WP: 3), Dirt Bomb, Fire Bomb, Ice Bomb, Smoke Bomb

The heroes step off the Magpie, and head back to the alley. The Bonapartes lying in a heap on the ground were gone, but Chalvo remained.

8114795660_e9105a3cf4_z.jpg

8114786929_59cd6984bc_t.jpg

"You've already got it?"

He looks delighted when he sees the parts, but his face falls when he noticed the damage.

"Sweet Ennoc, what's happened?"

What will the party say?

IC: De'kra nodded and clicked, "I will always try. I just...I tend to fail a lot. But if it give up or keep try and risk of failure, I will try. I-I not sure I want to be if light though. It...there is memory just beyond I grasp, one I always felt. I never feel happy or safe in sunlight, never feel comfortable. All I feel is stench of abandonment, reek of betrayal. And starlight is just as wrong and twist, though in different way. It...it make I angry."

Regardlessly De'kra pushes himself forward, to follow after Arthur.

Edit: De'kra clicked, "Apologies, aboard ship we found smuggler who took automaton. He had hid it from captain, so we had to explain situation to her, though we left out information about your people. Smuggler manage to build robot before we could discover him, so we had to fight him and machine. Sadly he built robot improperly, and it overload and explode."

Edited by Tanma

"Operire Shipping--I suspect it's a front for the Bonapartes' smuggling operations--paid a crewmember of the Magpie to smuggle it aboard a shipment to the Babaleth Darklands. The idiot decided to try and put it together and attack us, and in the middle of our fight the thing blew up." Arthur rubs the back of his head where he had hit it against the wall, and he noticed a nasty burn on Barur's arm that rest hadn't quite managed to heal. "Speaking of which, that thing did a fair number to the Magpie, and Captain Illdria risked her own life to help us. I reckon the Ji Pei could do worse than to send some Gold their way, or better yet, work--I can tell you now they have little love for the Bonapartes, especially after this affair. In any event, I strongly suggest you ship the assembly documents for your constructions separately from the components in the future--for the safety of everyone involved. Might decrease the risk of the Bonapartes taking interest, too..."

"Anyhow, if there's anything we could do to help repair those components, or if you want us to take 'em over to the customer in person, let us know; I can't speak for the rest of the party, but I at least would be happy to help."

Edited by Flipz

Chalvo sighed.

"I've done a little investigation into this Operire group, and it does fit that they're a front for the Bonapartes...I'll consider using this Magpie to ship things in the future, I suppose, but the last thing I'm likely to give away right now is gold. These parts are going to have to go straight back to Tritech...have it completely rebuffed...."

He trails off into a mutter.

"Well, I suppose you did your job well enough, but considering how...mangled these parts turned out....I have my doubts we'll be hiring you in the future. Still, I suppose I don't have the right to deny you compensation in its entirety..."

He takes the Parts and Diagrams, and hands over 100 gold to each member of the party.

Since the parts are damaged, you can either take the 100 gold and have no increased reputation with the Ji Pei, or give up 50 for the reputation. And after that, you can head back to the hall. :classic:

Edited by CallMePie

"Anyhow, if there's anything we could do to help repair those components, or if you want us to take 'em over to the customer in person, let us know; I can't speak for the rest of the party, but I at least would be happy to help."

"As master Arthur says, if there is something we can do to help, please tell us. I too, will be glad to lend a helping hand."

Turning to Arthur, Thalion bows, "Master Arthur thank you for the scepter. Hopefully it will serve me good in the future."

Hearing Chalvo's proposal, Thalion decides to give 50 gold for a good reputation with the Ji Pei.

"Hopefully master Chalvo this will help repair the damaged parts, so you might consider hiring us in the future."

Edited by -obelix-

IC: De'kra clicks, "I knew this will not likely enact much to repair equipment, but will this help? It not feel right for I to be reward anyway for failure."

The echo hands back the 100 gold, hoping to aid in the repairs.

OOC: you can choose if Chalvo keeps all the gold or only the fifty.

"No. The only thing for me to do is send them back to Tritech. But you can believe after this mess, I'm not shipping devices as sophisticated as this by sea anymore..."

He nods towards Thalion and De'kra as they hand over the gold.

"Thank you, this will very much help in repairs. Perhaps I judged you heroes too hastily...if the Ji Pei need any more assistance for your organization, I'll make sure your names are brought up. Oh, and this isn't quite a failure...the cost to repair, while certainly puts a dent in our profits, is nowhere near the loss we would've taken if the automaton had been lost entirely."

Edited by CallMePie

"Please accept my Gold as well, the Sentinel was aiming for me when it blew." Arthur hands over 50 gold to Chalvo, and then departs with a bow.

Thalion should have my Grand Tonic, and Barur my Holy Bomb. :wink:

Chalvo accepts the gold, with a nod, and the heroes depart for the hall.

THE QUEST IS SUCCESSFUL!

Party

Arthur_Sorcerer_Ava1.jpg

Arthur Justus Regulus VII (played by Flipz) *Immune to Sealed* *Party Leader*

Level 18.5 Sorcerer

Power: 30

Health: 28/28

Ether: 28/28

Defense: 3

Gold: 630

Equipment: Sir Roderick's Sword (WP:12, Darkness elemental), Robe of the Archmagi (SP:3, Max Ether +5, Immune to Sealed), Lens of Speed Reading (Accessory, Allows a scroll to be read in addition to a normal action. Suitable for scroll users.)

Inventory:

Staff of the Cultist Battlemage (WP: 7, 50% chance of Fleeing upon being KO'd; suitable for Mages and Clerics), Healing Staff (WP:5; heals instead of damaging), Ancient Crown (First successful strike of battle deals Cursed effect, borrowed from Atramor Gibbin), Cloak of Deception (Free hits against the wearer have a 1/6 chance to be redirected to a random opponent), Opal (Ice), Amethyst (Darkness), Topaz (Lightning), Diamond (Light) Bedroll, Telescope, Shovel, Scroll of Blindness, Scroll of Sealing, Scroll of Confusion, Scroll of Sleep, Scroll of Frailty, Scroll of Armor Sundering (Reduces target’s SP by 5 and has a 50/50 chance of success), Scroll of Poisoning(Grants target’s weapon the badly poisoned effect for one battle at the cost of 5 ether), Scroll of Luck (Grants target the lucky-effect for one battle. Costs 10 ether.), Grand Tonic, Holy Bomb, Remedy, Blunt Dagger (WP: 1, dagger), Noxious Venom (When used on a weapon, the weapon deals the Badly Poisoned effect for the duration of the battle and the Confused effect for the next three rounds, for the duration of one battle.), Scarf of Misfortune, Ether Core, Advanced Automaton Assembly Diagrams

dwarfclericsm.jpg

Barur Thormek (played by Aveal the black sheep)

Level 10.5 Cleric

Power: 14

Health: 18/18

Ether: 14/14

Gold: 239

Equipment: Rune Staff (WP: 4), Robe of the Magi (SP: 1)

Inventory: Topaz (Lightning), Ruby (Fire), Potion, Remedy, 2 Venoms, 5 Bones, Bedroll, 2 Tonics, , Mulled Wine (Causes the Inspired-effect, doubling the target's current and maximum health for the duration of one battle.), Ice Bomb, Fire Bomb, Dirt Bomb, Grand Tonic, Guardian Halberd, Lightning Bomb, Water Bomb, Holy Bomb

De%27kra_and_Kapura.png

De'kra (played by Tanma) *Immune to Enamored* *Immune to Confused* *Immune to Light elemental*

Level: 20.33 Assassin

Power: 27

Health: 31/31

Defense: 4

Gold: 171

Equipment: Kapura (WP:7, Fire), Cloak of the Blue Assassin(SP: 1), Heart Locket(Protects from enamored effect and confused effect), Reflective Gauntlets (SP: 3, immune to light)

Inventory: Explosive Handcannon (WP: 8, double WP to rock monsters), Chiara (WP:7, Electricity), Shadeaux Dagger(WP:5), Fauxthril Hand Cannon(WP:7), Cloak of the Elven Spy, Bedroll, Pickaxe, Shovel, Magnifying Glass, Magic Compass, Potions (6), Grand Potions (3), Remedy (3), Phoenic Essence (3), Smoke Bombs (2), Dirt Bomb, Ice Bomb, Noxious Venom (When used on a weapon, the weapon deals the Badly Poisoned effect for the duration of the battle and the Confused effect for the next three rounds, for the duration of one battle.), Damaged Advanced Automaton Parts

Thalion Dwinlas (played by -obelix-)

Level 8 Mage

Power: 12

Health: 12/12

Ether: 12/12

Gold: 79

Equipment: Scepter of Divine Affinity (WP: 5, has a 1/6 chance to deal the Cursed effect on successful spells or the Blessed effect on successful healing), Leather Cap (SP:1)

Inventory: Ruby (Fire), Opal (Ice) Potion, Bedroll, Dagger (WP: 3), Dirt Bomb, Fire Bomb, Ice Bomb, Smoke Bomb

Thanks for coming on the Quest, and I hope you enjoyed it. :sweet: Aveal, when you return, please choose whether or not to return 50 gold in exchange for Ji Pei reputation.