Captain Roger

Which LEGO Pirate captain is your favorite?

213 members have voted

1. 1. What pirate captain do you prefer?

• 1989 Captain Roger/Redbeard
    • Captain Ironhook
    • Captain Brickbeard
    • Captain Pete
    • Pirate Captain of Minifigue series
    • 2015 Captain Roger/Redbeard
    • Captain from Pirate Treasure Hunt
    • Captain Pirate from Pirates Perilous Pitfall

Ahhhrrrrrr...Cap'n Pete is no LEGO captain. Any scurvy Dog worth his sea salt knows that a LEGO captain needs a peg leg, hook *and* eye patch. "Cap'n" Pete is third rate at best.

Edited by TeufelHund

Captain Redbeard mostly for lego racers nostalgia :classic:

I love LEGO racers, but man was Rocket Racer a pain!

President, er Captain Redbeard, by far. (if you're wondering about the president part, Redbeard was one of four minifigs I had that survived the great givaway at the end of my first dark age, along with my sig fig, my brother's sig fig and my custom Gandalf minifig... When I got back to collecting LEGO a few years later, I made Redbeard the President of the Federal Repbublic of America, which is on the map in my profile).

I just love Redbeard's torso and hat as well as the brown epaulettes... Very useful parts they are.

Being that I like classic pirates a lot more then the newer stuff, Im gonna say Captain Redbeard. He cathces my eye so to speak lol He is probably my favorite pirate minifigure too.

Of course I like Redbeard most because he is from my childhood. Of the modern designs, I am going to have to say Brickbeard though.

I alway thought that Ironhook is a kind of Roger but pauperized... the rags in the shirt and the copy of the face (the hair, eyepatch) the lack of the same hand and leg (not always but you get the idea)... well, maybe Ironhook is the Roger´s sibling

I thought the same thing, actually - I'd long assumed the minifigures listed here as Roger/Redbeard and Ironhook represented the same character, with Ironhook simply being Redbeard after his ship got wrecked or sank, or his crew mutinied or something. I don't have a great many of the "classic" Pirate sets, though, and none of the comics and such from that era, and I haven't really gotten around to researching the backstory lore of the theme yet. I do at least have a couple apiece of Roger / Redbeard (Roger Redbeard?) and Ironhook, though, from the "Filming a Pirate Scene" Studios promo polybag and the reissue of Enchanted Island, respectively.

My vote is for the Captain Roger, but I think that we all know that Roger and BrickBeard are the same person. I think that Lego simply wanted to renew his awesome but old-fashioned Captain.

I'd also wondered about this, actually. When the 2009 line came out I thought it was possible the captain was meant to be the same one as the classic Roger/Redbeard/Ironhook, just updated to reflect the later LEGO minifigure design style. Perhaps Roger, Redbeard, Ironhook and Brickbeard really are all the same guy?

I thought the same thing, actually - I'd long assumed the minifigures listed here as Roger/Redbeard and Ironhook represented the same character, with Ironhook simply being Redbeard after his ship got wrecked or sank, or his crew mutinied or something.

I was surprised that Redbeard and Ironhook had different names, because I had always assumed that one was just the other with a slight makeover. And there are enough parallels between the 2009 Pirates line and the original Pirates line to conclude that one took inspiration from the other.

I think this poll is about minifigure design rather than character, though. So it's like, which Superhero figure do you like the best, and listing all the Batmans individually.

I don't think the Minifigure 'Pirate Captain' is anyone but himself, though. He just has a lot of the same features because, how else are you going to represent a Pirate Captain?

Edited by David Thomsen

Ironhook and Roger aren't the same guy. Ironhook has brown hair, and Roger has red hair. By the way, roger fought against Ironhook in the 1993 Lego Japanese TV commercial:

Ironhook and Roger aren't the same guy. Ironhook has brown hair, and Roger has red hair. By the way, roger fought against Ironhook in the 1993 Lego Japanese TV commercial:

So they do have different hair colour. I hadn't realised that before, I never had Ironhook and the picture on the first page is misleading.

I love the anime-esque sound effects on that commercial.

You may notice better with this images:

PS: Ironhook has a pegleg in some sets only. In another sets, he has both legs

As far as I know, this version of Ironhook is from Renegade Runner (6268) and Raft Raiders (6261).

I don't have any of these sets, so it's not much I can say about them.

I have Enchanted Island (6278) and Forbidden Cove (6264), and there Captain Ironhook has the same head with Captain Roger.

So, there are two different captains because they have different faces and some of them has a pegleg?

Since I never had 6268 or 6261, me too I never noticed that there's an Ironhook with a different face than Captain Roger.

I have both versions, but I hadn't noticed this before. Perhaps its an error on LEGO's part? The color at least could be an error, and maybe he lost a leg to the islanders as part of the story?

This is a great poll and it needs to be...

[bloggedcp][/bloggedcp]

As for Captains I'd have to say that the Collectible Minifigure Captain is my favorite. I never really had any of the Classic-Pirate minifigures or sets growing up, but I can sympathize with others choices for the more classic captains. If I had them as a kid I'd probably be more inclined to vote for one of them.

For me it is Captain Ironhook, partly because he was in the very first Lego I got, when I was a kid, but I like him most also overall.

As far as I know, this version of Ironhook is from Renegade Runner (6268) and Raft Raiders (6261).

I don't have any of these sets, so it's not much I can say about them.

I have Enchanted Island (6278) and Forbidden Cove (6264), and there Captain Ironhook has the same head with Captain Roger.

So, there are two different captains because they have different faces and some of them has a pegleg?

Since I never had 6268 or 6261, me too I never noticed that there's an Ironhook with a different face than Captain Roger.

I wrote a post about this yesterday but it has lost.

In 6278 EB review photos, Ironhook has red hair:

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=16461

in 6264 EB review photos, he has brown hair instead.

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=34869

i bought 6278 in 1994 and Ironhook has brown hair in my set. He appears with brown hair in both set boxes

I just discovered a thread on the very last page of this forum, called 'Third Pirate Captain'. It's from 2005 and there was discussed that there is another captain in the 6281 Perilous Pitfall Set.

If you include Captn Pete to the circle of pirate captains then this one certainly belongs to it too.

Pirates Perilous Pitfall.

captain9hg.jpg

Yes he was. But without the captains hat and the peg leg. So some members stated that he was a mutinous crew member, who became captain after the ship stranded or something like this.

He seems to be the forgotten mutinous Lego Captain.

I just discovered a thread on the very last page of this forum, called 'Third Pirate Captain'. It's from 2005 and there was discussed that there is another captain in the 6281 Perilous Pitfall Set.

I think he looks like Captain Kirk! :laugh: