Electricsteam

Electrosteam's Bag of Ideas

This two foot gauge tiny chain-driven steam loco was built from scratch by an enthusiast in Germany and is a mere eight feet long!

And plainly is meant to be operated by short people :laugh:

I like it though, - I wish I had one just like it.

Edited by Locomotive Annie

Three new steam Locos added and I will add better descriptions later , I am still trying to sleep of Thanksgiving and Blackfriday :wacko:

EDIT:

1 NEW category Video Games and Misc.

The first 2 trains I will post will be from Pokemon XD and Mario sticker star and maybe the one from skylanders , They'll be up later.

EDIT:

Ok I updated it Again. ... Time to get some sleep and make a LDD moc of a train ive been dying to make :grin:

Edited by TheBrickster
Triple posting merged.

The Armstrong-Whitworth Turbine-Electric Locomotive.

armside1b.jpg

armside2a.jpg

armstr1.gif

armstr2a.jpg

An underwhelming failure by all accounts.

Ha ha ha I thuoght that was a rocket train at first... :laugh: Also the Triple Boiler Locomotive says Fear Me Earthling

No, apparently that tubular housing is for the fan that drives the condenser. The loco was far too heavy and the condenser was far too inefficient so back to the makers it went where it was written off.

Electricsteam: I really like this topic and thank you for starting, but please watch the triple posting. I've merged your previous three bumps to a single response.

EDIT: thanks for understanding our site guidelines.

Here is my contributions: (Pictures from wikiipedia)

GER_Decapod_and_James_Holden.jpg

This is a 0-10-0T designed by James Holden in 1902 for the Great Eastern Railway. (Mr. Holden is standing in ther foreground of the picture)The engine could go from standing stil to 30 miles per hour in 30 seconds, but it's only use was to prove steam could beat electric traction. However the engine was deemed to heavy for the bridges, and was scrapped in 1913.

Lickey_Banker_%28Wonder_Book_of_Engineering_Wonders%2C_1931%29.jpg

(Sorry for the large picture, it won't resize!)This one-of-a-kind locomtive is the Midland Railway's 0-10-0 'Lickey Banker'. Big Bertha / Emma (As she was sometimes called) was used on the steepest sustained grade (1 in 37) in the UK. She was built in 1919 and worked until 1956, when she was replaced by diesels and scrapped.

LNER_Garratt%2C_2395_%28CJ_Allen%2C_Steel_Highway%2C_1928%29.jpg

Built in 1925 and designed for banking trains in Worsborough Bank, United Kingdom. She was unsuccessfuly tried on the Lickey inlcine in 1949 -50 and again in 1955. It was then withdrwawn in 1955 after fialing those tests.

I am sorry if the pictures are too large, I tried resizing them here and it would not work.

Edited by Murdoch17

LNER_Garratt%2C_2395_%28CJ_Allen%2C_Steel_Highway%2C_1928%29.jpg

Built in 1925 and designed for banking trains in Worsborough Bank, United Kingdom. She was unsuccessfuly tried on the Lickey inlcine in 1949 -50 and again in 1955. It was then withdrwawn in 1955 after fialing those tests.

I am sorry if the pictures are too large, I tried resizing them here and it would not work.

That locomotive is beutiful! :wub: You should build it and post it here ! Also Amazing Picture Murdoch17! :laugh:

Newly updated! 1 New locomotive in Steam! 1 New locomotive in Electric / Deisel! and 1 New locomotive in What where they thinking ! So go check them out :laugh:

Here's an unusual one that would be a challenge to build in Lego. A McKeen Railcar.

McKeenRailcar.jpg

Whoa, that train looks more like a submarine than a train :grin: I wonder where I would be able to get darkish red windows. :wacko:

Great thread! Now a new idea has risen to me (correct Eng? :wacko:) On the LEGO Fanwelt trade fair in Cologne our entrance ticket allowed us to attend the "German Real Steam Meeting". :grin: We had great fun watching those men (and women) driving their own very small but realistical steam locos. I have made some videos which I may upload later. But it would be great to build something like that in LEGO.

Bit offtopic, I know.

Whoa! Lots of interesting stuff in this thread.

On the Bruntons Traveller what are those weird arms sticking out the back for? It almost looks lie something a model railway geek would have to run around and at the same time clean his track for him.

Those "arms" are legs. :wacko: The wheels aren't powered at all; they just roll freely. The engine moves those legs, and they push it along (!).

I am trying to keep this in the first page of the fourm which is quite hard becuase when people don't reply people don't seem to care to respond :cry_sad: So as a back up I am making a website using google sites. I am not going to post the link until I am done :grin:

I am trying to keep this in the first page of the fourm which is quite hard becuase when people don't reply people don't seem to care to respond :cry_sad:

So as a back up I am making a website using google sites. I am not going to post the link until I am done :grin:

That would be nice. Thanks in advance

This was built as an inspection car for the directors of Dutch Railways. Later it was available for private hire. The drivers cabs were not at the front but a bit further back and raised above the roof. This allowed passengers in the front loung a unique view over the tracks. The two humps on the roof gave it its nickname 'The Camel'.

250px-Kameel20.jpg

e7xTt.jpg

Here is a very odd early electric locomotive. I wonder if some one can make that linkage! :laugh:

From Wikipedia:

A later development of Kálmán Kandó working with both the Ganz works and Societa Italiana Westinghouse, introduced an electro-mechanical converter, allowing the use of three-phase motors powered from single-phase alternating current, thus eliminating the need for two overhead conductor wires.[20] In 1923, the first phase-converter locomotive in Hungary was constructed on the basis of Kandó’s designs and serial production began soon after. The first installation, at 16 kV 50 Hz, was in 1932 on the 56 km section of the Hungarian State Railways between Budapest and Komárom. This proved successful and the electrification was extended to Hegyeshalom in 1934.[21]

The electric locomotive on the picture is the first phase-converter locomotive that was built in 1923 and then used for test runs.

Here's an unusual one that would be a challenge to build in Lego. A McKeen Railcar.

McKeenRailcar.jpg

Mental, what was that ever used for. very odd design and i agree building from LEGO bricks would be a challenge

*snip*

Hmmmm...I can see the walls as not being too bad. But that roof would be a pain.

I can not begin to say how frightning these locomotives are so look at them yourselves :wacko:

http://www.douglas-s...l/fictional.htm

Actually, I've seen an engine similar to the third one down, though I cannot recall where. Some of those, though...wow. I'd be amazed to see them in real life, let alone in Lego.