WhiteFang

What do you think of CMF Series 9 teaser release by TLG?

LEGO Collectable Minifigures Series  

172 members have voted

1. 1. Will you like to see preliminary or early images first before official release by TLG?

• 1 - Yes
    • 2 - Neutral
    • 3 - No
  2. 2. Do you like how TLG have done for the Series 9 release of teaser information?

• 1 - Yes
    • 2 - Neutral
    • 3 - No

Seeing these makes the cynic in me wonder if any previous "leaks" (of any sets and minifigs, not just CMFs) were actually made by Lego. It seems to me that when pictures of a new theme are first revealed, the AFOL reaction is almost always of disgust. Fansites everywhere are spammed with comments of how next year will be really cheap, or Lego is going to go back to early 2000s financially. As the release gets closer, comments often change to "I'll get the smaller sets" and "I'll Bricklink the minifigs". A month or so before release, the theme starts getting popular, and coincidentally by the time the sets are on shelves, people have warmed to them enough to open the purse strings. This is probably just me conspiracy theorizing, but it still makes me wonder...

Seeing these makes the cynic in me wonder if any previous "leaks" (of any sets and minifigs, not just CMFs) were actually made by Lego. It seems to me that when pictures of a new theme are first revealed, the AFOL reaction is almost always of disgust. Fansites everywhere are spammed with comments of how next year will be really cheap, or Lego is going to go back to early 2000s financially. As the release gets closer, comments often change to "I'll get the smaller sets" and "I'll Bricklink the minifigs". A month or so before release, the theme starts getting popular, and coincidentally by the time the sets are on shelves, people have warmed to them enough to open the purse strings. This is probably just me conspiracy theorizing, but it still makes me wonder...

So, basically it follows the classic stages of grief? Denial, then Anger, then Bargaining, Depression and finally Acceptance? Interesting...

i love me some minifigs, but i dont enjoy them as much when they dont got legs!!!!

just ranting sorry! lol

Edited by davedude

There are many interesting and diverse views coming from you guys. I am also seeing the general audience thoughts through the poll, where I actually should spend more time to come up with better questions instead of something general.

I voted no simply because it's a pretty crappy teaser. Really bad photo quality, off "Instagrammed" colours.. They look like someone at LEGO brought them around town and tried to fit them into random backgrounds. Very amateurish for such a big company.

A much better teaser would be to release a proper quality publicity photo of each minifigure every day for 16 days. That'd give you something to be excited about seeing every day for two weeks.. Much preferred to seeing their unprinted backs in bad quality.

I think this whole thing is planned for but certainly we do not know of its approach and true intentions behind it and it could be a new approach that TLG is exploring of trying to establish a new way of releasing teaser information that is not 'found' by mass-public before launching.

Looking at the poster with date, my first thought was that I needed a time machine to go back to March 12, 2012. I suppose I need to keep in mind that it is EURObricks, after all, and be mindful of the different convention when displaying dates across the pond. :P

I realise some of them are reading in another convention. :tongue:

As for celebration of Series 9's launch, I'd like to see something new and more unique than another CMF vig contest. Maybe a 'design a teaser' contest of some kind.

Hmm, I may have to disappoint you on that aspect as it is mostly liked to be stick towards tradition.

well i think it's a cool idea to use a teaser like this. on the other hand, it's revealing too much. a minifig is after all, just a minifig. sure, you're not seeing the front side, but the photos give away quite a lot...

Pretty true, but still, without a good shot of the front, you won't know what are the beautiful details at the front where it actually matters most. Back printing in this case, is considered a bonus and the main rating factor could definitely be the front and the accessories included. Furthermore, it only probably give away the overall colour scheme for the designed minifigures.

http://winteriscoming.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/GOT-S3-Announce-Art.jpg

Why couldn't TLG come up with something a little more original for the teaser poster?

Still like the CMF though...

Actually that poster is not from TLG but it is re-created by one of our staffer which I had mentioned in the credits. It was inspired from that original link.

Actually that poster is not from TLG but it is re-created by one of our staffer which I had mentioned in the credits. It was inspired from that original link.

My apologies (to the staffer and TLG respectively :blush: ) And in that case: Nice work!

That reminds me of actually reading the whole post, before the Throner and AFOL personae collide...

Will you like to see preliminary or early images first before official release by TLG?

Hell yeah!

That's where fun begins IMHO, even before building and playing...with collectible minifigs in particular.

Do you like how TLG have done for the Series 9 release of teaser information?

Much appreciated, especially the suddeness of the announcement (I almost had an heart attack, like I already said in the other thread) : personally, I saw for the first time all the other series from the front and I can say this time I enjoyed more.

Yes, also the backgrounds and the particular graphic effects: according to me, they contribute to bring more "mystery" -> more suspense -> more success.

Can't wait to put my hands on these sixteen plastic guys and obviously to read WhiteFang's review, hoping there will be. :wub:

Edited by Lucanik-san

Why do they come out with these so fast? Everytime I go to any store (Toys R Us, Barnes & Noble, and sometimes even the Lego store) they are sold out with just an empty box on the shelf. Of course plenty on ebay. Why didn't they ever put them in the supermarkets? I'm guessing maybe they couldn't do to some other company having hands on the end caps and impulse buy section.

It's crazy how they are already coming out with series 10. All I've been able to get is 4 packs of series 6, and on black Friday I bought packs of series 7 and 8. When they first came out it was impossible to get the first series, 2nd 3rd. Unless of course, ebay. The sets come and go faster then I can ever afford. But mini figures are somethng everyone can afford if they can only have a chance to purchase. :/

To be honest, I don't find this teaser very impressive. I'm not sure if this is a poorly compressed reproduction of the original image, but if it isn't, it doesn't seem as professional as something TLG could achieve. This is a company that produced images like this in the past:

250px-Lego_Pirates.jpeg

Which I find astoundingly gorgeous. In almost half of those Series 9 images, I can't even figure out what the background is supposed to be.

I think a better way would be to fully reveal one minifig a day for sixteen days, or something.

To be honest, I don't find this teaser very impressive. I'm not sure if this is a poorly compressed reproduction of the original image, but if it isn't, it doesn't seem as professional as something TLG could achieve. This is a company that produced images like this in the past:

250px-Lego_Pirates.jpeg

Which I find astoundingly gorgeous. In almost half of those Series 9 images, I can't even figure out what the background is supposed to be.

I think a better way would be to fully reveal one minifig a day for sixteen days, or something.

There's a difference between promotional images that wind up in official magazines and catalogs and "teaser images" that are released through social networking sites and not meant to have any redeeming artistic value.

There's a difference between promotional images that wind up in official magazines and catalogs and "teaser images" that are released through social networking sites and not meant to have any redeeming artistic value.

I don't expect artistic value, although that would be awesome, but I do appreciate professionalism. I just can't think of those teaser images as anything but the work of an amateur Instagram user.

I don't expect artistic value, although that would be awesome, but I do appreciate professionalism. I just can't think of those teaser images as anything but the work of an amateur Instagram user.

Then again, wasn't that the joke? As they were going to publish the pictures in the social media, they imitated "hip" Instagram style for laughs. As a side result, they also sort of imitated the grainy leaked pics we sometimes get to analyse before official pics, which I think was rather intentional too.

Then again, wasn't that the joke? As they were going to publish the pictures in the social media, they imitated "hip" Instagram style for laughs. As a side result, they also sort of imitated the grainy leaked pics we sometimes get to analyse before official pics, which I think was rather intentional too.

Hmm I guess so... in any case if it is a joke I clearly don't get it, so I'll drop the subject now.

what happens on 3-12-12?

The figs were revealed on that date, two days ago now. In America, we typically would write that as 12-3-12, with the month before the day, but that's not consistent worldwide.

I don't see why anyone would vote 'no' to the first question - or the second, frankly. I think any advance info we get is exciting to fans, and could only serve to build anticipation for the release of the related product - a win-win scenario. I commend TLG for taking the time to engage the community in this way.

I take umbrage with the notion that these teaser images aren't supposed to have any "redeeming artistic value" - I think the points made about how tongue-in-cheek the images are (the grainy quality, the instagram style, etc) prove that there was a cohesive artistic intent behind the series of images, more-so than in any set-up promotional shots. They actually heavily reminded me of cjdc's minifigure pics, which I've throughly enjoyed, and I instantly wondered if they were inspirational of the teasers at least in part.

Edited by vynsane

I'm confused, are they bringing out Game of Thrones minifigures?

No, it's just a poster promoting EB's Minifigures Series 9 review. Brickthing created it as a parody of the Game of Thrones poster.