Hoexbroe

Kingstown, USA, 1959, at HispaLUG Expo 2012

indexed.gif Layout

Hi all,

I present you with the finalization and public presentation of the MegaMOC 2012!

*Warning; This post is very heavy on photos! *

MegaMOC 2012;

image017.jpg

*** First test-assembly in basement, some days before the event ***

These first pictures are from a test-setup in my basement, one week before packing everything into small boxes.

A view to the busy main street;

image006.jpg

The petrol-station;

dsc05734r.jpg

The "Painted Ladies District";

dsc05738r.jpg

Coca-Cola delivery guy almost having an accident because of... distraction...;

image007.jpg

Kids going to school;

image002.jpg

A view to the City Hall;

image003.jpg

Still life;

image004.jpg

The Delorean almost hidden between a big tree and a billboard with Marylin Monroe advertising some perfume;

image005.jpg

As we are close to X-mas anyway;

image008.jpg

Some guests at the City Hotel;

image009.jpg

Scorpions and Greasers;

image010.jpg

Honest Al´s used cars sale;

image011.jpg

Detail on top of the cinema roof;

image012.jpg

The combined train-and-bus (Greyhound) station is pure Googie fantasy;

image013.jpg

*** Photos from the HispaLUG Expo 2012 ***

Everything was taken apart and carefully put into cardboard boxes, and transported some 600km by car, to Barcelona (Granollers), where it was again put together in less than 4 hours. The last minifig was placed just as the doors opened to the public. (Many expositors were a lot worse off than me...)

image018.jpg

dsc05788r.jpg

At the exhibit I had the opportunity to take some photos of the "wrong" side of th display. Things the visitors normally dont see...

image021.jpg

image020.jpg

image022.jpg

I dont have many photos of the train;

image001.jpg

Disclaimer; This nice train is basically a rip-off of Aleksander Steins 7-wide NYC M-497.

Mine is 8-wide, but only a few studs longer.

This train actually existed(!) It´s slightly anachronic to the whole diorama, as it was made in 1966, but its fantastic futuristic look makes it perfect for the various Googie-style buildings I have in the diorama.

In real life it reached almost 300km/h, which is a record that still stands in the USA, for passenger transport on rails!

I finally got the opportunity to take a photo of my mini-fig scale VW camper van next to its bigger Lego set #10220 sibling;

image019.jpg

A study of "bluish" Lego;

Top: Medium Blue

Middle: Maersk Blue

Bottom: Bright Cyan

image023.jpg

Curious how Maersk is closer to Cyan than to medium blue...

My VERY patient wife;

image014.jpg

Oldest daughter Patricia;

image015.jpg

Youngest daughter Kristina controlling the train;

image016.jpg

-And finally yours truly;

image024.jpg

More photos from the event can be found here;

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=517283

HispaLUG can be found here (spanish language only);

http://www.hispalug.com/foro/index.php

*** Videos ***

frxabemi´s video;

Parda Technic;

frxabemi´s other video;

*** Technical Data ***

The diorama is 12 baseaplates (32x32) long.

The covered corners meassure 0,5m each, covering the curved tracks for the train.

=> 408cm long.

Depth is 3 baseplates + 1/2 baseplate for the train.

The train track is a simple circle. No points used.

There are 24 cars, trucks and busses distributed on the layout. They have all been presented individually here pn EB.

There is only one train. Originally I had planned to also make a longer freight-train, drawn by an impressive Mikado class steamer. Alas, time and pieces ran out for that project. Oh well, maybe I can build one later.

There are a total of 94 minifigs distributed around the diorama.

The blue-sky background is re-used from the "Royville" MegaMOC 2011 project. There is still room for expansion, as the backdrop will span 13 baseplates total!

The project has taken 6 months to build, at a relaxed pace.

It takes 4 hours to set up and 2 hours to take down. (not relaxed ;-) )

Packed down I can fit everyhting into my Volvo V40 with the plastic-bubble on the roof and 4 persons inside! (persons inside the CAR, not the plastic-bubble...)

The whole thing is still stored intact in my basement, maybe awaiting a further opportunity next year¿?

*** End ***

Edited by Phred

Wow, just wow. What a brilliant, amazing, creative mash of googie goodness! It is sooo inspiring! :wub:

Your pictures, video and explanation totally do it justice, how long exactly did you work on it again? It's also great to see some behind the scene shots and your lovely family.

Again well done and thanks for sharing!

This layout is just beautiful! :wub: I love how everything feels connected and alive, like its a real town. The sky background looks fantastic too.

There are too many specific details that I like to point them all out here, but I did want to mention the folded up umbrella in front of the hotel. I hadn't noticed this detail in earlier pictures of this building. Very nicely done.

Hoexbroe, eventhough I had seen your work in progress, I am astonished by your display :wink:

All the different elements work perfectly together, there is a real harmony even though the styles are quite different, i.e Ladies District v.s train station v.s gas station... By the way, the roof of the gas station is splendid! What I especially like is the transition between the residential district and city downtown. There are so many details, just to highlight one, the doloreane that are masterpieces by themselves and yet your eye do not focus on a particular element, they just go from left to right and back and front discovering new elements every time... I love the police car, the VW Camper, Coke truck, yellow cab, shool bus...the movie theatre (mhmmm hope we'll get a nice compromise between yours, galaxy dinner and cinema and Lego restrictions for the new Palace Cinema :wub: ), and above all the dark red house with the barrel on top :blush:

It really has the USA 50/60's look I imagined!

Thanks a lot for sharing and BRAVO!!!!

Dude, your layout is amazing......I just love that row of townhouses :wub: and adding the Batmobile plus the time machine from BTTF is pure GOLD ! :grin:

Just totally AWESOME work and man, you have set the bar really high for my display next year - your MEGA-MOC is giving me a kick in the pants to do even more ! :laugh:

And to see you have a patient wife too..... :laugh: ......hands up every male member of EB who has one of those ? :laugh:

Brick On 'Hoexbroe' ! :sweet:

Fantastic work, Hoex - I'm not sure what much else I can say other than I'm completely floored by the combination of all your MOCs into this great display! I've followed several of them with earnest and every one has come together beautifully. I could go on for hours about my favorite details, but suffice it to say that your display is easily my favorite 'town layout' I've seen in years. There's just so much to absorb and appreciate that I can't even begin to pinpoint a highlight - there's just too much good stuff! :cry_happy:

There's not much to say that I haven't already said in the topics you've had leading up to this one, apart from that it looks absolutely astonishing when put together like this. It's one of the best town dioramas I've seen, and probably the very best one placed in a specific time setting. I very much wish I'd had the possibility to be there and study it up close, but thanks for the nice pictures! Are you keeping this together for a while or is it going to be broken down?

Bro

Hoexbroe ,

How do you make the mini VW Camper van? My wife loves it very much... :)

Wow, Hoexbroe. What a layout. Thank you for sharing this with us. I hope you had a great day at the event and how did people react when they saw your work? You realy did a great job there. The Greyhound bus and gasstation are my favourites, but the Batmobiel is great to. Are you planing an extension to this, or something completely new? Hope to see more of your work in the NEAR future my friend.

Finally! Here it is. Allnthose sneak peeks of the cars and the Pink Ladies District. Such another wonderful build. The details are brilliant and none are missed here. The stoplights, the street signs, all the 'celebrity' cars thrown in. Just nailed it again this year.

Here's to next year! :laugh:

Thanks a lot for the nice comments, guys!

how long exactly did you work on it again? It's also great to see some behind the scene shots and your lovely family.

Around 6 months, building at a relaxed (and sometimes not so relaxed) pace.

This layout is just beautiful! :wub: I love how everything feels connected and alive, like its a real town. The sky background looks fantastic too.

...but I did want to mention the folded up umbrella in front of the hotel. I hadn't noticed this detail in earlier pictures of this building.

The folded down umbrella is a nice touch indeed! I honestly stole it from another member of HispaLUG at an earlier event... It pays to stay alert! lol

The blue backdrop is quite common in the world of model railroad (where I come from). The really strange thing is why not more people use it (It is now the second time I use it at a big event). This time the "City+Train" group said they would try to use one at the next event. We´ll see!

It really has the USA 50/60's look I imagined!

...above all the dark red house with the barrel on top :blush:

Well, if I have achieved the typical 50´ies look, then mission has been accomplished! ;-)

BTW: That house is reddish brown...

Wow! Really amazing, especially the miniversion of the VW and the instruments - how do you make them?

I loved the mini van. Can you take more photos?

How do you make the mini VW Camper van? My wife loves it very much... :)

You are in luck; Full instructions exist for the mini VW camper van!

Originally they were to be included in the next issue of the HispaBrick Magazine, but took up too much space there, so now I must think of how and where to publish them. Stay tuned!

The musical instruments are REALLY simple; just small bits and pieces of yellow. F.x. the flutes are simple 4L bars. The "tap" piece and the radar dish are also useful for this purpose.

Are you keeping this together for a while or is it going to be broken down?

For the time being it is all stored intact in boxes. Possibly awaiting another public event in april next year.

Mostly because I dont feel like sorting this huge amnount of bricks, which would probably not even fit into my classification-system as it is now.

So... Not really decided yet.

Wow, Hoexbroe. What a layout. Thank you for sharing this with us. I hope you had a great day at the event and how did people react when they saw your work? You realy did a great job there. The Greyhound bus and gasstation are my favourites, but the Batmobiel is great to. Are you planing an extension to this, or something completely new? Hope to see more of your work in the NEAR future my friend.

I was very happy with the reactions of the public, although it wasnt so "WOW" as when I exhibited the "Cutty Sark" two years ago.

Also the public asked less questions.

HispaLUG never do competitions like "Best in show" or "Best in class" or things like that, so an objective evaluation is not at hand...

I have no plans for expanding this one.

Some people have asked about future projects, but I haven´t decided on anything. I like the idea of using the setup to portray a western diorama. How to make a good minifig Clint Eastwood¿?

Finally! Here it is. Allnthose sneak peeks of the cars and the Pink Ladies District. Such another wonderful build. The details are brilliant and none are missed here. The stoplights, the street signs, all the 'celebrity' cars thrown in. Just nailed it again this year.

Here's to next year! :laugh:

One detail were missed by all, even by me in the photos;

Behind the gas station, under the big tree, sits a very lonely indian contemplating the whole view, unable to understand what happened to his land... If the diorama goes on display again next year, I will have to move the poor guy...

Again; Thanks for the nice comments! :)

An amazing display! One of the details that strucked me first, is the wonderful blue skies in the background. It works well with the display and puts the best out of it. There's too many details to comment. Some of my favourites are the closed sunshade in front of the hotel, the slightly bended roof on the gas station, cars (all of them) and VW van (would love to have one like that).

Impressive layout :thumbup: :thumbup:

Absolutely detailed, I love all of this Diorama :wub_drool: :wub_drool:

Edited by Wedge09

I love the way you built all our vehicles! Lots of detail and intricate building!

Also the curve on the gas station roof just flows so well with the design.

Well done!

Holy retro futurism Batman! Is Kingstown the Hill Valley or Pleasantville of the classic SYSTEM universe?

It´s slightly anachronic to the whole diorama, as it was made in 1966, but its fantastic futuristic look makes it perfect for the various Googie-style buildings I have in the diorama.

The same can be said on both accounts for the batmobile (but no dark blue cape?)! Echo 1, on the other hand, has no excuse.

Excellent choice of green shingles on Al's little shack (makes the operation appear all the more dubious in perfect contradiction of its name). Did you struggle at all with keeping the tilt underneath the window?

Thanks again to all of you for the nice comments! :-)

An amazing display! One of the details that strucked me first, is the wonderful blue skies in the background. It works well with the display and puts the best out of it. There's too many details to comment. Some of my favourites are the closed sunshade in front of the hotel, the slightly bended roof on the gas station, cars (all of them) and VW van (would love to have one like that).

As mentioned before; Full instructions for the VW exist, and will be published soon!

Holy retro futurism Batman! Is Kingstown the Hill Valley or Pleasantville of the classic SYSTEM universe?

The same can be said on both accounts for the batmobile (but no dark blue cape?)! Echo 1, on the other hand, has no excuse.

Excellent choice of green shingles on Al's little shack (makes the operation appear all the more dubious in perfect contradiction of its name). Did you struggle at all with keeping the tilt underneath the window?

Thanks for your very thorough observations and comments! Really appreciated!!!

Basically you have nailed it with "Hill Valley" and "Pleasantville". Everything that is iconic about the period is what I have tried to incorporate. -Although I hope it is the Pleasantville AFTER the awakening! lol

Batmobile is a Ford Lincoln Futura from 1955, which was modified en ´66. (Sorry, I dont have a blue cape. Holy Smoley!) The Ecto-1 is a Cadillac Miller-Meteor from 1959, which was modified en ´84. Both clearly anachronisms, but a lot of fun to include! The Delorean and the rocket-train are also anachronisms, but what the heck...

The green shack is very sturdy, and there are no problems with the window. Under the window runs a 1x8 tile, which stabilizes everything. Also, the brown part under the window extends 2 studs inwards and holds the window firmly in place!

For the time being it is all stored intact in boxes. Possibly awaiting another public event in april next year.

Which event? I'd love to have a look at this :)

Basically you have nailed it with "Hill Valley" and "Pleasantville". Everything that is iconic about the period is what I have tried to incorporate. -Although I hope it is the Pleasantville AFTER the awakening! lol

Yep, it'd be colorful post-enlightment Pleasantville and vintage Hill Valley circa 1955. I also ask because neither are strongly geographically tied but rather represent a stereotyped amalgam of classic American suburbia with a generic name that could be used in any state, which seems to be true for Kingstown as well.

Batmobile is a Ford Lincoln Futura from 1955, which was modified en ´66. (Sorry, I dont have a blue cape. Holy Smoley!) The Ecto-1 is a Cadillac Miller-Meteor from 1959, which was modified en ´84. Both clearly anachronisms, but a lot of fun to include! The Delorean and the rocket-train are also anachronisms, but what the heck...

Yeah, I was referring to the train as justifiable because it's from the same year as the Batmobile, which also enforces the futuristic look you desired (on the basis of the original car). The Cadillac Ecto-1 (blame the earlier error on spellcheck) seems less deliberately speculative in design, but the Delorean isn't an anachronism!

The green shack is very sturdy, and there are no problems with the window. Under the window runs a 1x8 tile, which stabilizes everything. Also, the brown part under the window extends 2 studs inwards and holds the window firmly in place!

Yes, I can see that the window is not directly connected to the walls, but I also assume that the bottom is not flush against the wall below but only touches it by the corner of the 1x1 to maintain the slant.

Which event? I'd love to have a look at this :)

Sorry... It´s a local event here in Bilbao! It´s not a dedicated LEGO-event, but a fair for general collectionism.

I also ask because neither are strongly geographically tied but rather represent a stereotyped amalgam of classic American suburbia with a generic name that could be used in any state, which seems to be true for Kingstown as well.

Parcially. "Kingstown" is a recycling of teh previous megamoc project, where the town was named "Royville" (="kingstown", gettit¿? ;-)

...but the Delorean isn't an anachronism!

I totally agree! ;-) A time-machine would be valid ANYtime...

Yes, I can see that the window is not directly connected to the walls, but I also assume that the bottom is not flush against the wall below but only touches it by the corner of the 1x1 to maintain the slant.

The green slanted walls are connected with a hingebrick to the floor, and their movement blocked by a plaet attached under the roof. With all this explanaton for the shack, I should have made a photo of the insides... ;-)