Si-MOCs

Kaliphlin Guild: Homepage, Sign-up and Discussion

Still waiting 'fingers drumming' :sweet:

Yeah....I went to use the camera and my batteries were dead! I'll pick up some batteries and photograph on Saturday when I'm off work. Hopefully I can photoshop and clean it up same day and post Saturday night

...How far is it from Petraea to Qarkyr?

I'm having some trouble finding a map with Petraea, Quaker, and a mile marker, but by contrasting the mile marker with a streach of land, I think the distance would be between 190/200 mi. As far as how long it would take you to walk across there... I'll leave you to do the math there! :grin:

Edit: Just realised that the marker says 20, not 30. So... more like 100-120! :laugh:

Edited by Kai NRG

Here's the detail map of South-East Siccus, including Berigora and Peregrinus, the Akhenaten Delta, and the new city of Mpya Stedor. Lots of empty space on this one, and lots of unnamed features.

These are in the Kaliphlin group on Flickr now, and I've started adding notes to link them together, so you can get from the main map to the detail maps easily, as well as adding links on the detail maps to various MOCs if I know where they are. Let me know if you want your MOC to be linked to a particular location on the map (but check first to see if I've already linked it).

6557177915_916b23c9f7_b.jpg

Southeast Siccus Badlands (Kaliphlin Guild)

All of these detail maps are approximately 8 pixels to the mile. So Mpya Stedor to the crossroads by the Qar-Akhen River is about 100 miles, or 3 to 4 days journey by horse on a good road.

DaMaximus -- can you come up with a good name for the very large bay near Mpya Stedor?

We're also going to need a good name for the main desert in this detail map, if anyone wants to suggest something.

Sorry for the double post but I encountered a question while doing some background research on an upcoming MOC (I'm working on The Hitchhikers Guide to the Greater Siccus Badlands again however when you see the MOC you may wonder how this question is relevent :laugh: but it is). How far is it from Petraea to Qarkyr? How many days would it take for a character to walk (not ride)? Silly question but I seem to have misplaced the map with the mile markers on it.

I knew NM said something about distances after I located my city, so it was easy to find this post :laugh: Hope it helps you :classic:

Yeah....I went to use the camera and my batteries were dead! I'll pick up some batteries and photograph on Saturday when I'm off work. Hopefully I can photoshop and clean it up same day and post Saturday night

Can't wait!

I'm having some trouble finding a map with Petraea, Quaker, and a mile marker, but by contrasting the mile marker with a streach of land, I think the distance would be between 190/200 mi. As far as how long it would take you to walk across there... I'll leave you to do the math there! :grin:

Edit: Just realised that the marker says 20, not 30. So... more like 100-120! :laugh:

I knew NM said something about distances after I located my city, so it was easy to find this post :laugh: Hope it helps you :classic:

Thanks for the help guys!

Reason for the question. I'm working on a new area north of Qarkyr called Kakushi-shō meaning hidden province. It is only accessable by foot and takes about as long to travel from Qarkyr as to Petraea

Edited by Masa of Kaliphlin

Reason for the question. I'm working on a new area north of Qarkyr called Kakushi-shō meaning hidden province. It is only accessable by foot and takes about as long to travel from Qarkyr as to Petraea

Sounds interesting! Another Lost Vega type city? Or is it just so small that if you're on a horse you'll miss it since you pass to fast? :tongue::laugh:

Or maybe,

it's streached out into a line infinatly thin... or almost... :grin:

Edited by Kai NRG

Luckily, GIMP has a tool that allows you to measure pixels. Petraea to Qarkyr is 144 miles as the dragon flies. It's a fairly straight, good road, so say only 10% more for wiggling, so about 160 miles. Walking is 20-30 miles per day over level ground on a good road, so let's say 24 miles per day, or 6 2/3 days. It also has some hills at the eastern end, plus you have to ford the Lick of Salt river. So let's call it seven days total.

Looking forward to seeing the new areas. The mountains north of Qarkyr are very rugged, so it would definitely take some serious time to get into them. From my experience hiking in the Sierras here in California, a fit person would average around 12 - 16 miles per day on good trails. And a lot less on bad trails or through really steep areas.

Luckily, GIMP has a tool that allows you to measure pixels. Petraea to Qarkyr is 144 miles as the dragon flies. It's a fairly straight, good road, so say only 10% more for wiggling, so about 160 miles. Walking is 20-30 miles per day over level ground on a good road, so let's say 24 miles per day, or 6 2/3 days. It also has some hills at the eastern end, plus you have to ford the Lick of Salt river. So let's call it seven days total.

Looking forward to seeing the new areas. The mountains north of Qarkyr are very rugged, so it would definitely take some serious time to get into them. From my experience hiking in the Sierras here in California, a fit person would average around 12 - 16 miles per day on good trails. And a lot less on bad trails or through really steep areas.

Thanks NM!

I sadly did not make any progress on my MOC last night. Although I did a bit of sorting- twice :laugh: (son doesn't quite comprehend the what I'm doing and seems to think that daddy is just having fun dumping pieces from one bin into another) Hoping to get working on it tonight but kind of dragging my legs as I completed the fun part of the build and now I need to get inspired for the boring rockwork which I am working out a way to add more color than the singular grey my rocks have been heretofore. As I am now away from my bricks until this evening, I have done a bit more of the story line which has given me more ideas of vigs I might want to incorporate into the story before the MOC I am presently working on- kind of a picture story kind of deal. I thought I would post the initial paragraph or so before any of the vig sections come to play:

The Path to Kakushi-shō

[From the notes of Mikel Kalores in The Hitchhikers Guide to the Greater Siccus Badlands]

“I had already come to know Kaliphlin as a land of mysteries and adventure but I soon was to discover a long forgotten element of Kaliphlin, almost a journey to the past as it were, a place of beauty and peace, the way I imagine the whole of Kaliphlin existed before the Sea of Sand swept over the land.

I had been exploring the area around Qarkyr and had made a short excursion back into the city to replenish supplies when to my surprise, I encountered my old friend Yesil. Unlike myself, he was not at all surprised to see me.

“In the area, I heard were you,” he told me in his customary odd arrangement of wording, “Only a matter of time it was I knew, before to Qarkyr for supplies came you. Business in the North, have I and honored would I be if accompany me, you would.”

I was quite surprised at this request and I thought it a bit odd but I could not even think of declining such a welcoming invitation. So it was, I made the necessary preparations for my squad to remain in Qarkyr with our supplies while I journeyed north with Yesil.

We set off the following day and to my surprise, we exited Qarkyr through the eastern gates. I knew the only road north was to the west of Qarkyr and I made mention of this to Yesil.

“North, we do go, but to the far north, we do go not,” was his reply.

to be continued....

MK, that's sounding quite interesting! Can't wait to hear more! :grin:

I've completed the next part of my Journey of Exploration, I'll probably finish polishing it off tomorrow morning, and I'm also working on what will most likely be my last PU (can we abriviate the University?) build (an exterior - or a part of an exterior - this time!). Oh, and I have something that goes along with the Journey done too!

Edit:

And I have completed the next part of the Journey...

8228604639_45d93c8015.jpg

Edit: My last University build! (Clicking on the picture will take you to the topic:)

8232646643_36300aaea4_m.jpg

Edited by Kai NRG

I've completed the next part of my Journey of Exploration, I'll probably finish polishing it off tomorrow morning, and I'm also working on what will most likely be my last PU (can we abriviate the University?) build

Nice work on those builds! I really like how your PU build turned out and I will comment on it when I get more time.

But for now, a quick post. I was able to put in probably about five hours on mynewest MOC but I think I may run out of a certain piece before I'm finished. If I ever get one of those little comment tags below the avatar, it probably will end up "always one piece short" :laugh:

Anyway here is another teaser for the project...

PathtoKakushi.jpg

Nice work on those builds! I really like how your PU build turned out and I will comment on it when I get more time.

But for now, a quick post. I was able to put in probably about five hours on mynewest MOC but I think I may run out of a certain piece before I'm finished. If I ever get one of those little comment tags below the avatar, it probably will end up "always one piece short" :laugh:

Thanks! If anything that should go to me... one flag short (yes, there are three in the MOC, but that doesn't mean they're all mine...) one of those slopes I put on top short... for certain colors I found myself one cheese slope short (or so)...

Anyway, that's a nice map, like the rough canvas style background! :thumbup: I would suggest you make the red letters a bit thicker though, as I am having some trouble reading them. :look:

I would suggest you make the red letters a bit thicker though, as I am having some trouble reading them. :look:

:sweet: It is a teaser... I wanted it to look faded like an old soiled cloth map where it is hard to make out some of the contents. (But you should be able to figure it out from my previous post :tongue: )

As it turns out I'm going to have to wait for another bricklink order to finish this build but that probably works out well

as this area is based off the upcoming LoC theme.

I might post a wip next week if I think the build has progressed enough to warrant one.

Also I put together another GoH minifig series this week that is waiting to be photographed. 4 minifigs from each guild this time in 4 catagories- Traditional warrior, educated civilian, noble blood, and notable enemy.

Also I put together another GoH minifig series this week that is waiting to be photographed. 4 minifigs from each guild this time in 4 catagories- Traditional warrior, educated civilian, noble blood, and notable enemy.

That is a great idea! Can't wait to see it.

Ooh, looking forward to seeing those :classic:

Got the GoH collectable minifigs up here.

Also got another teaser for my project: perhaps a road paved with green marble? What do you think about this technique other than for swampy water?

SAM_0039.jpg

Got the GoH collectable minifigs up here.

Also got another teaser for my project: perhaps a road paved with green marble? What do you think about this technique other than for swampy water?

SAM_0039.jpg

Not a road but maybe a path to a building with a green crystal floor :classic: .

In the right context certainly. Looks pretty good. Most roads wouldn't be paved with marble. But maybe an important plaza, or a path leading to an important building.

In the right context certainly. Looks pretty good. Most roads wouldn't be paved with marble. But maybe an important plaza, or a path leading to an important building.

Yeah, looks to me like an elevated bridge between two important houses (or between two parts of the same house). Love the arches, the gold and red go together very well!

Thanks Gedren_y & NM! I was able to read your posts before they got deleted (evidently???). I wasn't able to reply until now as I was busy but Gedren_y if you could message me or post again so I can make a note of that type of stone you were talking about.

Also thanks for the replies Eric Su and Kai, I had replied but it got deleted and yes it is an elevated bridge but probably will end up being an entry way... and just for the info :wink: that is not part of the MOC that I'm working on but one of the supporting vigs that may turn into MOCs in their own way.

Btw, anyone know where I can get dark bluish gray 3x2 normal slopes for a decent price? I don't think they are sold in PAB are they? Thats the brick I ran out of with my new rock design.

Thanks Gedren_y & NM! I was able to read your posts before they got deleted (evidently???). I wasn't able to reply until now as I was busy but Gedren_y if you could message me or post again so I can make a note of that type of stone you were talking about.

Connemara marble is a stone found in Ireland. I get various catelogues of celtic and Irish gifts and many have items made from Connemara marble.

Here are some examples to show you the range:

http://www.gaelsong.com/product/146720/decor-celtic-candles

http://www.shopirish.com/Sterling-Silver-Connemara-Marble-Ring

http://www.shopirish.com/Connemara-Marble-Worry-Stone-OR008

http://www.shopirish.com/Shamrock-Marble-Necklace

http://www.shopirish.com/Lucky-Irish-Penny

http://www.shopirish.com/Connemara-Marble-Watch-Bracelet

It is a very beautiful stone, and you could say that it was imported from the northern reaches of Mitgardia.

Trans-black over various greens would create this effect. Some light gray(old and new) 1x1 round pieces backed by green under trans-green would help make it look more like natural stone.

Also thanks for the replies Eric Su and Kai, I had replied but it got deleted and yes it is an elevated bridge but probably will end up being an entry way... and just for the info :wink: that is not part of the MOC that I'm working on but one of the supporting vigs that may turn into MOCs in their own way.

Btw, anyone know where I can get dark bluish gray 3x2 normal slopes for a decent price? I don't think they are sold in PAB are they? Thats the brick I ran out of with my new rock design.

I got an idea for the thing you build but my idea doesn't include the archway so my idea is useless :wacko: . BTW why did your reply get deleted?

Forum issues. Any posts made after noon today in Europe disappeared.

I've never seen those in the PAB. Black, white, and blue are the only colors I think I've seen that piece in PAB.

Connemara marble is a stone found in Ireland. I get various catelogues of celtic and Irish gifts and many have items made from Connemara marble.

Here are some examples to show you the range:

http://www.gaelsong....-celtic-candles

http://www.shopirish...ara-Marble-Ring

http://www.shopirish...rry-Stone-OR008

http://www.shopirish...Marble-Necklace

http://www.shopirish...cky-Irish-Penny

http://www.shopirish...-Watch-Bracelet

It is a very beautiful stone, and you could say that it was imported from the northern reaches of Mitgardia.

Trans-black over various greens would create this effect. Some light gray(old and new) 1x1 round pieces backed by green under trans-green would help make it look more like natural stone.

Thanks! You got me thinking of some possible techniques. I could use a solid 8x16 plate and then cover it in different colored ( 2420.gif?0) along with 1x2 and 1x1 plates. Then on the third layer, use the trans tiles. I might see what colors I have available and try different combos.

I got an idea for the thing you build but my idea doesn't include the archway so my idea is useless :wacko: . BTW why did your reply get deleted?

Once I finish my intro MOC I'm thinking of posting the project either here or in its own topic and using feedback I get to finish it. Kind of an interactive project. I think that will help me stay more focussed and also get some ideas I wouldn't have thought of myself. And yes my reply did get deleted.

I've never seen those in the PAB. Black, white, and blue are the only colors I think I've seen that piece in PAB.

I didn't think so but didn't know for sure as the only LEGO store I've been able to visit never had any great pieces others have found in their local stores.

Kai, that's a really cool icon below your member information (the flaming head). Did that just show up? What's it for / mean?