Sandy

Heroica RPG - Heroica Hall

"Ellaria, did I ever tell you about the time I had a son? And a wife and a family? I went to war to protect them from the Orcs invading the land. You folks seem to have forgotten the war... but I can tell you, it was bad. People were dying everywhere. Families were dying everywhere. I needed to protect mine." He sighs. "Anyway, some young chap froze me in time when I tried to track him down for deserting. Not an important story, I have no doubt you've heard it time and again. Point is, when I got out, I looked up my family. My wife married again and forgot about me. My son got killed in a fight when he was still young. My kingdom fell into ruin, my people were gone. No one knows why." Boomingham spits. "I don't know why I'm telling you this. It isn't very inspiration. But listen. When it comes down to it, your son is out there. And you've got the ability to find him. Someone took him. You go take him back. The mistake that I made when I was trying to protect my family is that I wanted to do it for me. I wanted to have the glory of protecting my family. That was wrong. I should have wanted to protect them because I loved them, not because I loved the idea that they'd admire me. You're doing that, Ellaria. I know you'd give your life for your son, and you'd be okay with him not knowing your name. We're all different sorts of people..." Boomingham exhales. The chair creaks dangerously under him. "When you get a lead, come find me. You can't find your son on your own. I will help you. I will die for him." Boomingham coughs a few times. "Ah, well, that's all I got for you, dear. Probably boring as all Hel. Cheer up, and I'll see you around. And remember you've got friends."

Ellaria is so touched by Boomingham's words that she couldn't think of anything to say - not even to correct him that Elpis was a girl.

"Thank you..." she finally whispered, but the paladin had already left, muttering by himself.

Somehow Ellaria knew her daughter was still alive, but where did that knowledge come from? She hadn't questioned it before, but as she sat there by the fire in Scheherazade's Saloon with a cup of mulled wine in her hand, she began to think about it... What exactly made her so sure that Elpis wasn't just taken by some sick pervert and left rotting in a sewer somewhere? How could she know Elpis was still out there somewhere? Could it be... a message from Sylvania?

The wine grew cold in her cup as she continued to stare into the flames of the fireplace.

Two Metasimians were hunched over the Quest board. Thothwick was smiling widely, explain something to his partner.

"Mr. Skrall is a well know and well respected member of Heroica - he battled alongside me in Dastan, don't you know? The gentleman is perfect S.O.W material! It's the perfect way to entice him in, too! We'll have a practice skirmish in the Arena, then afterwards, we'll persuade him to join over some friendly drinks. That way, he won't feel pressured to join, like he would if we proposed to him straight out of the blue! Excellent! I'll just answer his advertisement for a sparing partner, Hoptet, be sure to pay attention, you need to learn to write Humanish."

Dear Mr. Skrall, one has recently acquired some new equipment on my latest Quest, and would be delighted to partake in some practice sparring with you! If the idea pleases you, please find me!

- Thothwick

"Not too eager, not too disinterested - perfect. Any questions?"

"What is that letter?"

"... That's a comma. We'll have to cover punctuation too."

Ellaria is so touched by Boomingham's words that she couldn't think of anything to say - not even to correct him that Elpis was a girl.

"Thank you..." she finally whispered, but the paladin had already left, muttering by himself.

Somehow Ellaria knew her daughter was still alive, but where did that knowledge come from? She hadn't questioned it before, but as she sat there by the fire in Scheherazade's Saloon with a cup of mulled wine in her hand, she began to think about it... What exactly made her so sure that Elpis wasn't just taken by some sick pervert and left rotting in a sewer somewhere? How could she know Elpis was still out there somewhere? Could it be... a message from Sylvania?

The wine grew cold in her cup as she continued to stare into the flames of the fireplace.

Amma was nearly slumbering away at the fireplace as she notices a young woman sitting next to her. She did not seem to even notice anything around her. That girl was obviously very gloomy and contemplative. Amma immediately had (grand)maternal feelings for this young fellow. She wondered if she should address her. After all she was no elf or other weird person. She seemed to be a very generic human.

"Hey, my little girl." Amma raises her voice towards Ellaria. "Do you have any sorrows? You know, sometimes it's good to talk to someone. I am here to lend you my ear if you like."

She was finally trying to be nice to someone else for the first time since...

"Hey, my little girl." Amma raises her voice towards Ellaria. "Do you have any sorrows? You know, sometimes it's good to talk to someone. I am here to lend you my ear if you like."

Ellaria looked up, and saw a black-bearded dwarf. He spoke in a surprisingly soft voice for such a gruff-looking person.

"Oh, th-thank you, Mister, but I'm quite fine.. Done enough talking for the day, I guess."

She then realized she was being very rude towards the dwarf who was just being polite. "So... are you new here? I haven't seen you before, at least. I am Ellaria Arbour, a druid by Sylvania's wish."

Amma smiles knowingly as she gets that rather harsh answer. But that had Ellaria only could have seen if she had looked at Amma's ears moving a bit up. Amma delights in getting in touch with that knackered woman.

"Yes, I arrived effectively just a few days ago. I am yet looking to see everything in this small town. Sorry, I did not introduce myself yet. I am Stigveladi Kötturin. I come from... I lived in the forests near the icy mountains.

I can see how you feel, my dear. Being the mother of many, I can "reed" people very good. Who is Sylvania? Is she your mother?

"Yes, I arrived effectively just a few days ago. I am yet looking to see everything in this small town. Sorry, I did not introduce myself yet. I am Stigveladi Kötturin. I come from... I lived in the forests near the icy mountains.

I can see how you feel, my dear. Being the mother of many, I can "reed" people very good. Who is Sylvania? Is she your mother?

Ellaria blinked. Twice.

"Mother? You? Sylvania? ... I apologize, I must have had too much of that mulled wine."

Or not enough, she thought to herself, but continued to talk to the puzzling dwarf. "It seems you are unfamiliar with the deities of us surface-dwellers. Sylvania is the goddess of forests, plants and animals. What kind of gods do your kind have, might I ask? I've heard of Orrik, the dwarven god of stone and forging, at least..."

Boomingham walks over to the quest board and tacks up a sign.

Selling

Shadeux Shield (SP: 5) (40 Gold)

Potion (7 gold)

Grand Tonic (15 Gold)

Ellaria blinked. Twice.

"Mother? You? Sylvania? ... I apologize, I must have had too much of that mulled wine."

Or not enough, she thought to herself, but continued to talk to the puzzling dwarf. "It seems you are unfamiliar with the deities of us surface-dwellers. Sylvania is the goddess of forests, plants and animals. What kind of gods do your kind have, might I ask? I've heard of Orrik, the dwarven god of stone and forging, at least..."

Oh, now that you mention her, I can remember to hear some people talking about Sylvania. I am very confused about all the deities. Maybe it is as I once was some kind of Cleric. We know Orrik as well but there is another goddess we believe in. Let me say l, we used to. I seem to be one of the last dwarfs out of my village that remember the story of our origin. It's a long story and it would certainly bore you. But our god was called "Læða" (Lay'tha).

How does Sylvania communicate with you? Did she tell you to come here?

How does Sylvania communicate with you? Did she tell you to come here?

"Actually yes, my goddess spoke to me..." Ellaria paused. "Well, it wasn't really speech that I heard, more like strange thoughts inside my mind. I saw a vision of Eubric and this building, and I knew then that this is where I was supposed to go. I'm not exactly traditional hero-material, as you can see, but I know a thing or two about healing. Tell me more of this 'Lay'tha', please. What is she a goddess of?"

Amma notices that little Arbour girl seemed to feel a bit more comfortable now and that she began thinking about positive things. "You can be proud about your strong believe. I cannot say that I have something like that left."

"Tell me more of this 'Lay'tha', please. What is she a goddess of?"

"Well... ehh... Læða is kind of... We..." Amma stumbles. She did not want to talk about her past. It still hurt too much. But on the other hand, she had make that girl interested in something else...

"You must know that we dwarfs... The village where I originally come from has a very own history. It is supposed to be older than most other stories you might hear about dwarven history. But it is regionally very limited, only the small piece of land where I was born a long time ago, knows this version of their origin. In the recent past, the dwarves in our homeland began to learn to know other cultures - especially from other dwarfs that came to us or from voyages to other dwarven locations. But we got to know other races and their histories and beliefs as well. Many of my subjects lost their belief in this time. They thought this story was ridicolous. They did not dare to tell other after they got laughed at several times when telling the story. And that's how they began to forget about our history. All in this short time, while I was.... "

Amma gets quiet and keeps thinking while staring in the fire. Then she awakes from her thoughts and continues.

"Well, briefly speaking, it is being told that Læða was the leader of a group of... a higher race or sort of being. They kind of found the very first dwarfs as little helpless beings under a stone. By accident. Yes. And Læða and their fellows decided to help us dwarfs and teached us to live. That's how Læða was being worshipped over a very long time."

"Hey, don't look at me this way.", Amma says loudly and shifts around on her chair. She had not told somebody something about her since a very long time.

Hoke walks into Heroica Hall for some rest and a meal. Before making his way to the bar, he scans the the Questboard but only finds wanted posters and a few items for sale. He reads the descriptions on each, shrugs his shoulders and heads to the bar. He places his order and looks over his should into the hall to find a suitable place to take his meal. Hoke sees Lord Boomingham with Barty buzzing about him. With a chuckle and a grin, Hoke grabs the empty chair beside Lord Boomingham.

"With what wisdoms are you admonishing Lord Boomingham now Barty?" he asks with wink to Boomingham.

"Well, first thing first, I'm telling him to not stab me ever again. He didn't know that someone as weak as him couldn't kill me. Angels like me can die, by the way. It just takes more than fat old kings to do us in." Boomingham rolls his eyes. "I've also told him he needs to be more selective with the company he keeps. Witches, woman with bastard children, Ogres, all sorts of godless fools."

"And yet you like Nyx," Boomingham says.

"She wished for my return. She knew you needed my guidance."

"I don't think it was as holy as that. I just think she wanted to see me bothered. It's working, by the way."

"He's also taken up a false God. Defender of the weak. HA! They're weak because they are unholy. The weak are weak as punishment, you don't defend them."

"Look, I'm sure Hoke agrees with me here. The strong defend the weak so they can also grow strong. It makes the strong stronger as well, because than we've got more strong people to compete with. It's logic. Besides, everyone deserves a chance. You never know what they'll accomplish. Doesn't Ennoc want to see what mortals are really capable of? That's the whole point of our existence. To see what we're capable of. And providing people with the stepping stone they need is something I view as a duty. Isn't that right, Hoke?" Two pairs of eyes rest on the poor knight.

Hoke stares for a second with slightly widened eyes, and takes a long blink, shaking his head slowly.

"Barty, I do wish you are using some sort of unorthodox philosophy on your subject. Aren't you more interested in redemption? People can only go so long locked in the chains of their past. I do agree with Lord Boomingham to some extent. The strong should protect the weak, but I also believe the weak should become strong themselves."

"Of course. We only start the process for them, and then step back. The truly weak don't make it... but those in circumstances that hid their strength emerge-"

"Redemption! Pah! You mortals live such short lives, redemption doesn't figure into it. You don't have time to change. Well, dragons perhaps, and certainly some of the longer living elves, but you humans, the U'Kin, the Rito, sprites, fairies, wolves, and even the dwarves, you don't have the capacity for change. Not enough time. You've got to weed the species, not the individual."

"Then what are you doing here with me?" Boomingham asks, eyebrow cocked. Barty opens and closes his mouth and for one of the first times since his appearance, looks genuinely confused.

Atramor blinked in surprise at the tiny, angelic being that now hovered above Boomingham, making generalizing remarks that reminded him unpleasantly of the duo on the Armory. So it was straight from their guardian angels Paladins drew their ignorance...he gave McCafferey a suspicious glance, but returned his attention to the other heroes, taking a slow draught of rum.

"Is everything a philosophical debate nowadays? Damn."

"Right you are, my boy. I haven't had a drink since our return from Strivvi. Shall we see who can hold their liquor better? Perhaps in some form of contest? Would you like to join, Hoke? A battle of the wills, or minds, or something?" Boomingham held up a hand indicating he wanted three drinks. "Any suggestions for a game in which we drink often in large amounts? Or perhaps something that will get some gold flowing? I have my eyes on some armor."

Nyx is still smiling to herself, thanks to her brand new Diamond, and humming tunelessly as she walks into the Hall. She looks around as she walks in, and stops, stock still for a few moments as she looks over at Boomingham and .... Barty! Hope once more rises as she sees him, but hope for what she didn't know. All she knew was she was glad to see him - and alive! She'd thought...

Atramor is sitting nearby, and she has a request of him, so without looking around much more she walks over to their table and slumps into a spare seat, trying not to get too emotional.

"Barty! You're back! I didn't think...." she trails off, remembering the bitter argument she had with Boomingham before they had both left for Strivvi "well, anyway, it's really good to see you again!" she adds, smiling warmly. Nyx watches as Scheherezade brings over three drinks to Boomingham, and thoughtfully a Flaming Gumball for herself. She smiles in thanks as the Orc lady clears the empties, who tuts to herself as the glasses clink, Nyx and turns to Atramor.

"Before I forget, Atters I'd really like my Exploding Staff back please. I .... miss having it around; thanks." she adds bashfully, and knowing she wouldn't have to press Atramor further, looks over to Boomingham "So, three drinks for you? You really have missed the sauce haven't you! :laugh: I'm glad you've got Barty back; I don't know how you did, and I don't want to ask as I don't want to argue, but... I think it's right." she smiles at Boomingham, more softly than she has for a while, and giggles as Barty zips and flits around him, annoying him slightly.

Atramor nodded, reaching into his abnormally clean (to him, at least) new cloak and handing over Nyx's Explosive Staff, unused since it was lent. To replace it, he slid one of the unidentified shots in front of Boomingham to himself, downing it in an instant.

"Shame about the mission bein' cut short, but I can't say I didn't miss the hall...hardly got to spend any time here after Dastan."

Hoke greets the latest member of the table. He stands up, as a gentleman should when a lady joins the table.

"Hoke Ablesword, at your service my lady."

Hoke dips into a short bow and seats himself.

"I take it you four are previously acquainted?"

"Aye, we were all doing a low-key Quest in Strivvi, but word got out about us so we were shipped back here."

Boomingham swats at the little pest around his head.

"Don't know what I did to deserve this little fellow punishing me again, but he's back alright. And the drinks were for Hoke, Atramor and I... though seeing as Hoke has bowed out." Boomingham downs to of the drinks. He belches.

"Yes, Nyx and I go way back. I think she may be one of the first people I met here... though I don't know if she was quite as taken with me as she is now." He gave his friend a little wink. "Atramor and I actually quested together on our first quest, but were very recently reunited. What are you folks thinking of doing next? Doesn't seem to be anything on the board. Anyone up for a game of odds or wit or skill?"

Hoke snaps his finger, points at a tankard, and swipes it quickly from Lord Boomingham.

"Oh, I will most certainly partake in a refreshment, but I do not intended to overindulge."

Hoke took a few large gulps of the frothy brew and grinned.

"It is unfortunate that y'all are unable to complete your quest at this time. I do hate leaving things unfinished. I would thoroughly enjoy adventuring out on a quest at the moment, but it looks like we must bide our time in Eurobric for the immediate time."

Hoke took another long drink.

"Lord Bomingham, I shall play in a game if you will, and I would enjoy hearing stories of adventures new and old from any of you."

Overhearing the other adventurer's at an adjacent table. Horizon gets up from his seat and addresses them. "I'd like to join you guys if you don't mind, though what kind of game were you thinking of?" Horizon pulls a chair up and joins the table, "So what will it be cards, boardgames, gambling?"

Edited by Un1ted2

Overhearing the other adventurer's at an adjacent table. Horizon gets up from his seat and addresses them. "I'd like to join you guys if you don't mind, though what kind of game were you thinking of?" Horizon pulls a chair up and joins the table, "So what will it be cards, boardgames, gambling?"

"Oh, its simple," William replies dryly, "We invent a hero and go around doing quests while leveling up and acquiring more gear and rolling die."