After the eggs of dragons hatch, the Dreeders quickly sort them into the different types and, like every professional breeder, immediately sort out those with too aggravating features illnesses that prevent life. Unlike for most other species, though, not much counts as too grave:

Having a second head? Great, firepower of two for the price of one.

Additional, symmetrical wings? Superb, since those give additional flying speed.

Being a herbivorous dragon, though, when the parents are carnivors? REALLY bad, as the Dragonpeaks aren't known for their huge fields of corn and wheat and have enough problems to sustain the small population of originally herbivorous breeds.

Although the Dragonpeaks are vast and loaded with cliffs and steep precipices, just like most of the rest of the Rakath Mountains, finding a location where you can raise lots of dragons during the early years is a bit tricky, though. It should be a sparse area, well-enclosed by mountains so that the drakes can't escape get lost and hidden from evil eyes (as those creatures love to dine on young dragon). Further, you should build a small shack for the guards Dreeders. No need to make it too comfortable, they're supposed to work and not idle by :devil:

8209351486_27d5d43358_z.jpg

Ever so often, Thror III. visits the nurseries to make sure his subjects raise the offspring of their benefactors to the best of their knowledge. Not only does he need to make sure that his military strength doesn't decrease due to mistakes done in the childhood of the dragons. No, even though the adult ones didn't really care all that much for them before, now that the have someone raising their children, they have become A LOT more protective once their babies are deemed worthy to grow to adulthood. And, as the Drow learned the hard way, you don't want to make a dragon come after you because of such a reason.

So, today Thror, getting accompanied by his trusted general Mablung, travelled to a nursery that opened only recently, partly to make up for the ones lost in the fight against Victor:

8208257419_6fba392096.jpg

Thror: "Say, Mablung, why was it again that you have brown, pointy ears?"

Mablung: "You know, Sire, there once was a Drow seeking refuge in the Fairy Forest. Seems like back then the elves weren't quite as hostile to their kin as they are today. And now, centuries later, here I am. But, my liege, I have told you this back when I fled from Avalonia and got accepted among your ranks, already."

Thror: "True, but it never gets old. Anyway, let us begin with the inspection, shall we? This is not the only nursery we are going to visit until the sun sets. Onwards, call the foreman!"

Mablung: "As you wish, my Lord."

8208259483_6ef82902a9.jpg

Thor: "I see, everything is still fresh and in nice shape. And the drakes are having a feast today, it seems?"

Gold-Toothy: "Yes, me'Lord, w're ord'red ta feed a fatt pig an' a goat thus week. Tha pig went down a'right, but tha goat struggled a heckuva lot an' broke tha bar o' tha crane just a momen' 'go."

8209352270_74346f39b8.jpg

Thror: "Well done, now back to work with you. Get this goat down there! And I want this crane repaired before I leave!"

Grumpy Foreman: "It shall be done at once, my Lord."

Mablung: "If you allow, Sire, the Dreeders do not quite live up to the glorious and proud men they are supposed to be according to your tales. Rather, to me they look more like your average thug unworthy to carry arms."

Thror: "Like everything recently, they have been in decline, my good Mablung. See that foreman, he is a quiet man of work, unlike his two companions he is forced to live around."

8208267711_4eb11447a4_z.jpg

Mablung: "This may well be the case, Sire, but that bumpling crook down there may set a false ideal into new recruits if he were to be seen."

Thror: "Nothing we cannot change immediately. Why else do you think no spy ever managed to escape our grasp? Definitely not because we have a lot of prisons. Rather, because the nurseries such as this one here serve just as good as executional grounds!"

Mablung: "No wonder I had never heard of your people outside from legends, if not even the best spies of the AAG could make it out alive. Truly, a marvellous idea, Sire."

Thor: "And as an aside, it also helps to make the drakes as ferocious on the battlefield as we want them."

Bumbling Drunkard: "Aaaaaaaaaah!!!" *crunch* *snap* *munch*

8208267287_c4323e0ba4_z.jpg

Thror: "Now that this matter is dealed with, we should move onwards to the next. And make haste, I do not want to have supper in the middle of the mountains!"

Mablung: "Yes, my Lord. I shall call for our steeds without delay."

As always, C&C are most welcome and more can be found on Flickr

Great little crane, I love the mix of tan and brown! :thumbup: Nice house, enjoyed your description/story as well!

Nice build, the figs look great and the horn things on the bottom of the flags is a very nice touch :thumbup:

Nice compact build - you've fit a lot into this! I like the use of the CMF bases, and I like the pen for the drakes with all the bones. I disapprove of a bearded Elf, but maybe he's a half elf? And of course, you're detailed story and description are my favorite parts. Well done!

Very nice little hut and your description was great :thumbup: The crane and pen are excellent as well :classic:

Thanks, your feedback is much appreciated :classic:

Great little crane, I love the mix of tan and brown! :thumbup: Nice house, enjoyed your description/story as well!

Many thanks :classic:

Nice build, the figs look great and the horn things on the bottom of the flags is a very nice touch :thumbup:

Many thanks. I've really taken a liking towards those large orange teeth and plan to incorporate them in all of my future builds in some way or another.

Nice compact build - you've fit a lot into this! I like the use of the CMF bases, and I like the pen for the drakes with all the bones. I disapprove of a bearded Elf, but maybe he's a half elf? And of course, you're detailed story and description are my favorite parts. Well done!

Thanks, I mainly experimented on how much I can fit onto a 16x16 base without making it look too cluttered.

Regarding Mablung, well, while his parents are an elf and a human he has ancestors among all prominent humanoid races that dwell in Historica. The elvish blood came through the strongest, as his fair skin and the pointy ears can tell. The dark colour of his hair and ears is a drowish trait, whereas the beard is something he has gotten from a dwarven ancestor - unlike his siblings, who, for some reason, can't be distinguished from pure elves. This different appearance of his also is one of the reasons why he fled Avalonia.

Great compact build and story! I don't know but I kind of like the bearded elfguy... kind of smooths the transition from yellow to brown imo and definately a unique character. And the pose of the drunken thug, just excellent! :thumbup:

This is a really fun idea, especially since FX had How to Train Your Dragon running last night here in the U.S.

Where did that grey forestman's hat come from?

This is great! Jurassic Park in the dark ages! :laugh: Love the story! poor fella falling down the pit! :wink:

Very nice small model :thumbup: :thumbup:

Poor pig and goat :laugh:

Many thanks :classic:

Great compact build and story! I don't know but I kind of like the bearded elfguy... kind of smooths the transition from yellow to brown imo and definately a unique character. And the pose of the drunken thug, just excellent! :thumbup:

Many thanks, actually I just went and looked for a fitting hairpiece to go with the beard, and that was the one I own that I think fits the best :sweet: Making up a background to justify it is a simple task if the fig itself is finished :grin:

This is a really fun idea, especially since FX had How to Train Your Dragon running last night here in the U.S.

Where did that grey forestman's hat come from?

Many thanks :classic: From what I've seen of the series, I'm already eager to watch it, since it seems to have captured the spirit of the movie almost perfectly - and even with nearly the same quality of animation, too :thumbup:

As for the hat, if I remember it correctly it came with one of my earliest purchases after leaving the dark ages. Back then, I was quite dissapointed since what was sent to me didn't quite fit the description (and I didn't know how to deal with that) and the hat should have been the standard brown, but it was faded to what you see here, probably due to years of exposure to direct sunlight. Now I think it's quite cool and it does stand out from the other forestmen hats to the point of making it unique :grin:

This is great! Jurassic Park in the dark ages! :laugh: Love the story! poor fella falling down the pit! :wink:

Many thanks, and if one thinks about it it does indeed resemble the pit of the raptors - only that everybody who fell in there did so due to an accident and because he was to be executed :devil: